Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999415 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #9065 on: March 04, 2019, 06:32:53 PM »

And let's not forget that the mediocre footage they used for Metropolis barely included Myung playing his bad-ass tapping spot.

All this while the Japanese Awake tour show, excerpts from which they *did* include, featured a perfectly filmed complete performance of the piece.

Don't even get me started. I still can't believe Myung is barely shown in Through Her Eyes in the Live Scenes DVD.  His fretless bass work in that song is so bad ass.  That was epic fail in the editing department.

Offline WheyWaffles

« Reply #9066 on: March 04, 2019, 11:50:48 PM »
Controversial opinion:

The main thing that needs to change with regard to DT's vocal situation: the lyrics coming out of James' mouth. After two musically unappealing-to-me albums, I'm finding a lot to like on this one, but my god, the lyrics... I'm fine with lyrics I can't take seriously. They can be dumb, but they have to be fun as well so I can play along. No one likes dumb and boring lyrics.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #9067 on: March 05, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »
I don't think DT has ever had very good lyrics.
Good thing I don't care about lyrics at all.  :lol

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #9068 on: March 05, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »
Controversial opinion:

The main thing that needs to change with regard to DT's vocal situation: the lyrics coming out of James' mouth. After two musically unappealing-to-me albums, I'm finding a lot to like on this one, but my god, the lyrics... I'm fine with lyrics I can't take seriously. They can be dumb, but they have to be fun as well so I can play along. No one likes dumb and boring lyrics.

What is dumb about AWE's lyrics?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #9069 on: March 05, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
Or ANY of the lyrics on d/t, for that matter.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #9070 on: March 05, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »

Yeah, was wondering that as well. Dumb lyrics on D/T? No way!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9071 on: March 05, 2019, 10:50:48 PM »
Even worse was the decision to put Metropolis on the 5 Years in a Livetime video release and then cut if off right before the ending.  Yeah, give us almost all of the song and then cut it off before the end.  That made no sense whatsoever.  :facepalm: :facepalm:

Remember, MP had SERIOUS time constraints when putting the old home videos together to the point of having to cut out literally 10 seconds here and 10 seconds there.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9072 on: March 06, 2019, 04:41:42 AM »
Even worse was the decision to put Metropolis on the 5 Years in a Livetime video release and then cut if off right before the ending.  Yeah, give us almost all of the song and then cut it off before the end.  That made no sense whatsoever.  :facepalm: :facepalm:
Remember, MP had SERIOUS time constraints when putting the old home videos together to the point of having to cut out literally 10 seconds here and 10 seconds there.

Yeah, but come on! It was bad enough that Metropolis and Learning to Live were not included on the Live in Tokyo VHS at the time. Five years later their classic status was firmly established and they deserved better than just having incomplete performances included on the next home video. And with LTL it was even worse as we only got a 4-minute excerpt. At least LTL got included in the LSFNY DVD not much later, but with Metropolis this bootleg-quality truncated version remained the only official video release until Score almost a decade later.

And if you're dealing with time constraints, does Burning My Soul really deserve more time than these two? Does an acoustic rendition of a never commercially released song like Cover My Eyes? I never understood those priorities.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #9073 on: March 06, 2019, 04:50:39 AM »
Remember that the live VHS / DVD was a companion to the live CD. Burning My Soul was not on the live album and neither was Cover My Eyes. So probably that was the reasoning for keeping them, giving some diversity and more value to the two products.

Also, wasn't Metropolis and Learning to Live parts anyway of the encore medley that finished into The Crimson Sunset? it's not that MP cut them (as he did with Voices for example), they were already performed in a truncated way for that tour.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9074 on: March 06, 2019, 05:34:36 AM »
Remember that the live VHS / DVD was a companion to the live CD. Burning My Soul was not on the live album and neither was Cover My Eyes. So probably that was the reasoning for keeping them, giving some diversity and more value to the two products.

Yeah, but adding diversity could've been done by shuffling around other songs without sacrificing two major classics for much weaker material.

Also, wasn't Metropolis and Learning to Live parts anyway of the encore medley that finished into The Crimson Sunset? it's not that MP cut them (as he did with Voices for example), they were already performed in a truncated way for that tour.

Sure, but that's just a reason why medleys are bad and why he should've picked material from other gigs. Sometimes it's better to do a limited number of things right than to try to cram as many things as possible in two hours.

Offline erciccio

« Reply #9075 on: March 06, 2019, 05:50:21 AM »
Controversial opinion:

Dumb?
Are you talking about D/T or BC&SL?
Ora che ho perso la vista,ci vedo di più

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9076 on: March 06, 2019, 07:53:50 AM »

I don't believe Metropolis was. The part on the video was from an outdoor show and the entire song was played except the last minute and a half or so.

Yeah, but come on! It was bad enough that Metropolis and Learning to Live were not included on the Live in Tokyo VHS at the time. Five years later their classic status was firmly established and they deserved better than just having incomplete performances included on the next home video. And with LTL it was even worse as we only got a 4-minute excerpt. At least LTL got included in the LSFNY DVD not much later, but with Metropolis this bootleg-quality truncated version remained the only official video release until Score almost a decade later.

And if you're dealing with time constraints, does Burning My Soul really deserve more time than these two? Does an acoustic rendition of a never commercially released song like Cover My Eyes? I never understood those priorities.

All fair points, but I will not quibble with the inclusion of Cover My Eyes, since I had never heard that song before, and loved it immediately. I was like a kid in a candy store, getting an unexpected new (to me) song. :hat

Offline lucidlydreaming

« Reply #9077 on: March 06, 2019, 11:40:56 AM »
Cover My Eyes was one of my early favorites on the OIALT video. 

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #9078 on: March 06, 2019, 12:41:12 PM »
ADToE is my #1 album and I love FII.  I would play both before I&W.

ADToE could have been a top 5 album for me with a better mix/production. BAI is one of my favorite DT-songs but the live-version has so much more power.

It would love a remastered version. Maybe the 'Fascination Street' treatment' by Inside Out ;). So far I haven't heard a bad sounding album by Jens Bogren.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #9079 on: March 06, 2019, 12:53:39 PM »
ADTOE has the best production possible for DT's style of music.

Come at me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9080 on: March 06, 2019, 12:59:52 PM »

Come at me.

Dry and muddy is the best production possible for DT's music? 

Interesting.

Offline CirclesSquared

« Reply #9081 on: March 06, 2019, 01:18:51 PM »

Yeah, was wondering that as well. Dumb lyrics on D/T? No way!

B.Lee

Agreed. Dumb lyrics syndrome peaked with SC and BC&SL.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #9082 on: March 06, 2019, 01:44:43 PM »

Come at me.

Interesting.

I like the dry mix for the songs that are on ADTOE. Wouldn't work that well on Systematic Chaos I guess.
I'd never describe the mix as muddy tho, I can hear every instrument perfectly and it's pretty crisp.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9083 on: March 06, 2019, 01:47:43 PM »

Come at me.

Interesting.

I like the dry mix for the songs that are on ADTOE. Wouldn't work that well on Systematic Chaos I guess.
I'd never describe the mix as muddy tho, I can hear every instrument perfectly and it's pretty crisp.

I think it gets muddy during the most rocking parts.  I can still hear everything, but it's just not as clear as it should be. Call it murky, if you will. ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9084 on: March 06, 2019, 02:03:12 PM »
S2N and Room 137 are the worst songs on DoT, and toward the bottom of the songs from the past 4 albums.

I say this generally liking this album and the "Mangini era."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9085 on: March 06, 2019, 02:03:41 PM »

Yes, they do deserve more time.  I'll take a never-released live/acoustic/rare version over something that already has a million versions available.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9086 on: March 06, 2019, 02:08:03 PM »
Yes, they do deserve more time.  I'll take a never-released live/acoustic/rare version over something that already has a million versions available.

This is 1998 we're talking about. There weren't a million versions of Metropolis available on video at the time - there weren't *any*, actually. And LTL hadn't even been on a live CD before.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 02:16:19 PM by Kyo »

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9087 on: March 06, 2019, 02:09:58 PM »
Most of my DT listening these days is limited to the Mangini era. Not sure if that qualifies as an "opinion", but it might be seen as controversial, right?  ;D

Sure, I still hold my big personal favorites I&W, SfaM and Six Degrees in high regard, but I've played those albums to death at the time. The new stuff may not reach quite as spectacular peaks musically, but the low points have also become far less problematic than they were in the years before. The albums seem more consistent both stylistically and quality-wise and the songs are usually more coherent and concise. And while I do think Mangini sounds a bit uninvolved and stiff here and there (though considerably less so on the new one!), he has his strong moments as well and his drum parts just sound a lot fresher overall. While his fills may not be as memorable as Portnoy's were, the upside of it all is that his playing has remained largely unpredictable to me, which I see as a very good thing for someone who has by now recorded over 60 songs (5.5 hours of material) with the band.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #9088 on: March 07, 2019, 07:54:55 AM »
Barstool Warrior is a great song, but that last verse seriously mars the ending IMO.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #9089 on: March 07, 2019, 08:29:40 AM »
Barstool Warrior is a great song, but that last verse seriously mars the ending IMO.

It's so Losing Time / Grand Finale
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 09:45:33 AM by SeRoX »
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #9090 on: March 07, 2019, 10:00:23 AM »
I figured I'd post this here, because after reading these boards over the past few weeks, I now realize that I am in the vast minority here - which, quite honestly, bums me out.

I was so, so excited for this album. But after about fifteen listens, I think it's time to admit defeat here. D/T does absolutely nothing for me. It is definitely going to go to the very bottom of the pile.

I LOVED DTOE, I liked DT12, I am still attempting to understand TA (although, the 12 song playlist I made from it is very enjoyable when I'm in the mood), but this new record is just an abysmal mess. The production/mastering is downright offensive to my ears. And there is nothing here for me to come back to.

I could post a long list of gripes, but the rest of you are obviously digging it and I see no need to rain on anyone's parade.

I'm sure I'll come back and try again in a few months, but I suspect that this is not going to be a grower.

I was very lukewarm on TA, but after hearing D/T, I find myself enjoying that record a ton more.

The band made a great album, just not the album for me. Oh well.

So there you go, that's my controversial opinion :P

Offline erciccio

« Reply #9091 on: March 07, 2019, 11:09:36 AM »
I figured I'd post this here, because after reading these boards over the past few weeks, I now realize that I am in the vast minority here - which, quite honestly, bums me out.

I was so, so excited for this album. But after about fifteen listens, I think it's time to admit defeat here. D/T does absolutely nothing for me. It is definitely going to go to the very bottom of the pile.

I LOVED DTOE, I liked DT12, I am still attempting to understand TA (although, the 12 song playlist I made from it is very enjoyable when I'm in the mood), but this new record is just an abysmal mess. The production/mastering is downright offensive to my ears. And there is nothing here for me to come back to.

I could post a long list of gripes, but the rest of you are obviously digging it and I see no need to rain on anyone's parade.

I'm sure I'll come back and try again in a few months, but I suspect that this is not going to be a grower.

I was very lukewarm on TA, but after hearing D/T, I find myself enjoying that record a ton more.

This is indeed controversial, but fair...and expressed in a fair way as well :)
Quite unusual in the Internet age, so appreciated..

I am also lukewarm about D/T, but there are many things I like so I am not as negative as you...

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #9092 on: March 07, 2019, 11:45:45 AM »

I actually wanna know what's your disappoinment about DoT?
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9093 on: March 07, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »

This is 1998 we're talking about. There weren't a million versions of Metropolis available on video at the time - there weren't *any*, actually. And LTL hadn't even been on a live CD before.

Just admit you hate "Cover My Eyes" and "Burning My Soul".  Would you be this mad if they cut out the ending jam on "To Live Forever" or removed "Anna Lee" or the acoustic "Speak To Me"?  Personally, I don't care for any of the "bar" stuff they included with the special guests, but I'm not mad about it, I'm happy they have a few once-in-a-lifetime and/or rare things they can include for other DT fans.

So what if they dropped the last 90 seconds of Metro1 in order to help include other unique things on a now-dead time-restricted home video format.

Offline Demolition

« Reply #9094 on: March 07, 2019, 05:45:24 PM »

I happen to fully agree with you so far.  Nothing sticks out in my mind either.  When I listen to the disc, I like a lot of the songs but they just don't stick in my mind after they are over.  I don't know what it is but something is missing for my taste. 

Offline romdrums

« Reply #9095 on: March 07, 2019, 09:54:02 PM »
Viper King is better than Octavarium.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #9096 on: March 07, 2019, 10:17:26 PM »
Viper King is better than Octavarium.

I like Viper King...but that statement is definitely controversial.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #9097 on: March 08, 2019, 12:17:11 AM »
Just admit you hate "Cover My Eyes" and "Burning My Soul". 

I actually like Cover My Eyes quite a bit. Burning My Soul, on the other hand, is generally seen as one of their worst songs not just by me and the Bataclan footage isn't exactly great visually, either.

Would you be this mad if they cut out the ending jam on "To Live Forever" or removed "Anna Lee" or the acoustic "Speak To Me"?

No, because none of those are anywhere close to the mega classic status of Metropolis - which has been my point from the start. And To Live Forever, which was just a B-side to start with, had already been on the previous home video release, so this was particularly puzzling given the lack of time for other things.

So what if they dropped the last 90 seconds of Metro1 in order to help include other unique things on a now-dead time-restricted home video format.

Again, you're missing the point. This is a huge classic from their classic era we're talking about. That stuff should've been better documented *at the time*. And it's not about specific home video formats, it's so it remains available to people in the future. Until 2006 there was no good way for a fan to see the Metropolis bass tapping section on video, one of the prime Myung moments in their discography, because Portnoy chose poor bootleg footage of the song over a professional recording. It's not just about the last 90 seconds.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 12:38:38 AM by Kyo »

Offline erciccio

« Reply #9098 on: March 08, 2019, 03:37:34 AM »
Here is another one from me.

The Astonishing is MUCH better than D/T.

I think it's better on almost all dimensions: songwriting, production, melodies, choruses, solos, innovation,...
In terms of individual performances:

- James: TA >>> D/T
 - Jordan: TA >>> D/T
 - JM: TA > D/T
 - JP: TA= D/T
 - MM: TA < D/T (but still his performance in TA is VERY good)

The only other thing I prefer in D/T are the lyrics, but this is an unfair comparison...:)

I don't think D/T is a bad album at all, and I understand that they moved back to the "safe path" in order to win back the fans disappointed by TA, but I really hope that in the future they will be willing to take same risk again.

I really cannot understand why there was some much "hate" for TA...IMHO, if they had replaced the 3-4 "Dungeons and Dragons" naiveties with 4-5 minutes a-la- Pale Blue Dot The Astonishing could have equaled Images.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9099 on: March 08, 2019, 06:32:58 AM »
The Astonishing will always be one of my favorite DT albums!  :heart
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP