Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999467 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2415 on: December 06, 2013, 05:45:57 PM »
You evil DT hating goat bastard.

Offline XB0BX

« Reply #2416 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:47 PM »
Dream Theater's a great band, and I've had many great times throughout my life enjoying their compositions.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2417 on: December 06, 2013, 10:25:40 PM »
Controversial? 

???

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
Don't feed the troll.
« Reply #2418 on: December 07, 2013, 02:56:16 AM »
Prophets of War might be the best song on SC. ITPOE might beat it out barely, but it's definitely at least the second best.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #2419 on: December 07, 2013, 03:00:59 AM »
POW is pretty good, but when it comes to the Muse ripoffs, Never Enough is way better.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #2420 on: December 08, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
Here's my controversial thought of the day-- Mike Mangini's drumming on ADToE sounds much much better to me than the drums on DT12. Not because his drumming is worse, but the drums are so bad-sounding on DT12 that it should not have had all that hype from the band about MM being "unleashed." I actually really enjoy his drumming on ADToE, even if it is a bit quiet at times.

Offline rude boy

« Reply #2421 on: December 08, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
I don't like Awake  :-[

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2422 on: December 08, 2013, 02:46:44 PM »
Here's my controversial thought of the day-- Mike Mangini's drumming on ADToE sounds much much better to me than the drums on DT12. Not because his drumming is worse, but the drums are so bad-sounding on DT12 that it should not have had all that hype from the band about MM being "unleashed." I actually really enjoy his drumming on ADToE, even if it is a bit quiet at times.

Technically, the drumming on ADTOE was miles ahead too.

I don't like Awake  :-[

I used to hate Awake when I was getting into DT. Only about two months back when I truly started listening to it has it started growing on me. It's one of my top 4 albums now.

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2423 on: December 08, 2013, 03:42:11 PM »

Technically, the drumming on ADTOE was miles ahead too.
That's simply not true.

Mike's ADTOE sound was indeed good, especially the snare, although the mix wasn't kind to him. I wish they would mix the drums similarly to SC or BCSL (or anything else before, for that matter), the toms especially need that extra punch. Maybe JP had enough of that. 

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2424 on: December 08, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »

I think his drums sound great. But I'm pretty sure you're by far not the only one who feels that way.

I don't know if this is so much of a controversial opinion as it is a controversial action, but I found a copy of the Limited Edition of Systematic Chaos today, and even though I already own a LE copy of it, I decided to buy a second one because I wanted one in mint condition.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #2425 on: December 08, 2013, 05:12:53 PM »
I don't like DT12. As much as I try... I just don't like it. I don't HATE it though... and I do enjoy FAS, BTV and sometimes IT... but overall... it's forgettable.  Also... Wither sounds like it would go great as a track on DT12. :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

« Reply #2426 on: December 08, 2013, 05:14:48 PM »
I don't like DT12. As much as I try... I just don't like it.

That's what I said about Awake. Maybe you should just give it some time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2427 on: December 08, 2013, 05:24:26 PM »
It might work... but I've also been giving disk of SDOIT years and it still doesn't do much.
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2428 on: December 08, 2013, 05:40:09 PM »
It might work... but I've also been giving disk of SDOIT years and it still doesn't do much.

if you mean disc one I totally agree.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

« Reply #2429 on: December 08, 2013, 06:13:38 PM »

Still, never know until you try.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2430 on: December 08, 2013, 06:51:44 PM »
oops...

I mean Disc 2

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2431 on: December 08, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
While reading through lifting shadows I got to the the systematic chaos and I popped in the album for the first in years. Aside from PoW and repentance (snooze fest) the album is probably in the top 2 dt albums. It's probably the most concise album dt has made.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2432 on: December 08, 2013, 07:23:15 PM »
It's probably the most concise album dt has made.

Does not compute.

I don't mean to insult you, because you're totally entitled to your opinion, but it literally doesn't make sense to me that someone could consider an album with TMOLS and The Reckoning to be 'concise'.   :lol 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2433 on: December 08, 2013, 08:07:49 PM »
To me every dt album has had it's weak points, SC has had the fewest when I look back along with SDOIT (SDOIT the song is rubbish for most part). I'm fairly drunk but I'll get into this more tomrrow.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2434 on: December 08, 2013, 08:15:13 PM »
To me every dt album has had it's weak points, SC has had the fewest when I look back along with SDOIT (SDOIT the song is rubbish for most part). I'm fairly drunk but I'll get into this more tomrrow.

In that case I'll wait until you're sober before I beat you up for this failure, buddy.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2435 on: December 08, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »
I knew I was going to get a lot of flak lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #2436 on: December 08, 2013, 08:20:09 PM »
POW is pretty good, but when it comes to the Muse ripoffs, Never Enough is way better.

+1 and +1.  :coolio

On the PoW point, *ducks* I think it's better than Forsaken, TDEN and TMOLS.
---

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #2437 on: December 08, 2013, 08:58:16 PM »
Heretic and Slaughter of the Damned alone make ITPOE part 2 better than part 1.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

« Reply #2438 on: December 08, 2013, 09:08:17 PM »

By concise, you mean consistent, then? If so, then I agree. POW and Repentance included.

And yeah, SDOIT the title track does have quite a few stumbles. It's like pizza with toppings you don't like. There's still a lot of good stuff there, the dough, the sauce, the cheese, but it's hard to enjoy without having to pick out all the unwanted toppings.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #2439 on: December 08, 2013, 09:32:20 PM »

By concise, you mean consistent, then? If so, then I agree. POW and Repentance included.

And yeah, SDOIT the title track does have quite a few stumbles. It's like pizza with toppings you don't like. There's still a lot of good stuff there, the dough, the sauce, the cheese, but it's hard to enjoy without having to pick out all the unwanted toppings.

That's why you request said pizza to have each slice be filled up with different toppings so that everyone could get their favorites in one slice.  For me, it's Solitary Shell with a little bit of The Test That Stumped Them All.

« Reply #2440 on: December 08, 2013, 09:48:57 PM »

That's why you request said pizza to have each slice be filled up with different toppings so that everyone could get their favorites in one slice.  For me, it's Solitary Shell with a little bit of The Test That Stumped Them All.

You can distribute the toppings onto different parts of the pizza and give everyone just the part they like, but trying to enjoy the entire pizza leaves quite a few parts that leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2441 on: December 08, 2013, 10:01:49 PM »
SDOIT is one pizza. And it's all delicious. If I only eat one slice, I'm not getting all of the flavour.

Now I want some pizza. And to listen to SDOIT.

Offline 425

« Reply #2442 on: December 08, 2013, 10:05:15 PM »
SDOIT is one hell of a marathon as far as songs go, which I think makes it harder to listen to sometimes, but I'm with Blob. It's all excellent.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

« Reply #2443 on: December 08, 2013, 10:14:17 PM »
Length isn't the problem, consistency is. I usually listen to SFAM from beginning to end, happily, but SDOIT has weak spots right in the middle, which make it difficult to enjoy all the way through. The orchestra on Score improve those parts, though, thankfully.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2444 on: December 08, 2013, 10:21:00 PM »
Length isn't the problem, consistency is. I usually listen to SFAM from beginning to end, happily, but SDOIT has weak spots right in the middle, which make it difficult to enjoy all the way through. The orchestra on Score improve those parts, though, thankfully.

I can't listen to the Score version. The orchestra is too out of tune, and the live tempos on the lighter sections ruin them. :(
The studio version is perfect imo. No weak spots, and those 42 minutes have always flown by super fast for me. I've don't recall ever listening to individual parts of it. It would be like just watching a scene from a movie out of context. It needs to be one piece.

« Reply #2445 on: December 08, 2013, 10:24:05 PM »
I can't listen to the Score version. The orchestra is too out of tune, and the live tempos on the lighter sections ruin them. :(
The studio version is perfect imo. No weak spots, and those 42 minutes have always flown by super fast for me. I've don't recall ever listening to individual parts of it. It would be like just watching a scene from a movie out of context. It needs to be one piece.

Unless it's one of those movies that consists of different vignettes, like Waking Life or even Clerks. Sure, the bigger picture gives the proper perspective, but the vignettes are still enjoyable on their own.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2446 on: December 08, 2013, 10:31:59 PM »

I always hear people say this, but I've never noticed it. I suppose I'm either tone deaf, or so prog that I enjoy out of tune music. :lol

Offline Cable

« Reply #2447 on: December 08, 2013, 10:51:52 PM »

I always hear people say this, but I've never noticed it. I suppose I'm either tone deaf, or so prog that I enjoy out of tune music. :lol

My ear blows picking out pitches/notes and what not. But it is very obvious, to me, if you listen to the first few bars of the studio Overture, then the Score Overture.

That said, there are pieces here and there I prefer about both versions.
---

Offline Sycsa

« Reply #2448 on: December 09, 2013, 04:04:33 AM »

My ear blows picking out pitches/notes and what not. But it is very obvious, to me, if you listen to the first few bars of the studio Overture, then the Score Overture.

That said, there are pieces here and there I prefer about both versions.
Besides that, the most obvious example is in WIMH @ 13:30. There, the orchestra is like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOUsbtUrXHk. How can professional musicians get away with something like that?

Listening to that version also makes me realize how much I miss MP's backing vocals, James doing it with himself while JP lipsyncs makes me uncomfortable.

Sycsa is perhaps the most brilliant and insightful man I have ever encountered.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: December 09, 2013, 06:28:56 AM »

Yes, SC is the most consistent album they have. The first disk of SDOIT is very consistent as well, honestly I think the weakest part of SDOIT is the title track.