Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 386953 times)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2380 on: August 20, 2016, 04:42:07 PM »
FYI, I'm at the concert in Minneapolis and you guys are not.

FYI, I saw them on the MOP tour opening for Ozzy on TUS tour. Nee ner, nee ner.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2381 on: August 20, 2016, 08:18:45 PM »
Hardwired has grown on my since Thursday, still not great but decent enough. A lot of people of Metallica's fb page love it but there's also people who are just there to make these people feel stupid for loving it and shit on the band, I'd lie if I said I don't understand the kind of kicks these people get out of doing that. I wish I was a cunt that poops on things other people like cause there's too much cum in my eyes to see that I'm being an asshole, it's seem to be a lot of fun, truly.

FYI, I'm at the concert in Minneapolis and you guys are not.

I'm listening to the live cast on Pandora..
Have fun bro!
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2382 on: August 20, 2016, 08:21:59 PM »
Ah damn they're opening with Creep, I was secretly hoping they'll pull a crazy one and just perform the whole album tonight heh, that was pretty far fetched.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2383 on: August 20, 2016, 08:27:59 PM »
I wonder if they'll close out the show with a 15-20 minute rendition of Seek and Destroy!

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2384 on: August 20, 2016, 08:29:47 PM »
Sadly it looks like it, I just saw a preparation type of video and they had stacks of the beach balls..

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2385 on: August 20, 2016, 10:27:41 PM »
They fucking did Leper Messiah. So fucking stoked. Normal length rendition of Seek and Destroy.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS

Online Adami

« Reply #2387 on: August 20, 2016, 10:47:57 PM »
What does "traditional cover" of Whiskey mean?

Also how did Hardwired go over live?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2388 on: August 20, 2016, 10:52:15 PM »
Actually, we left before the encore. Pretty much knew what they'd be playing and wanted to beat the other eleventy brazilion people to the light rail.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #2389 on: August 20, 2016, 10:53:13 PM »
I heard that the concert could be heard for miles outside of the stadium. Looked like a lot of fun
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2390 on: August 20, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »
It was a killer show.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2391 on: August 20, 2016, 11:30:34 PM »
Here's a hype-up video with a couple new samples at the end:

https://youtu.be/VjcDHVg-u-c

Offline ThatOneGuy2112

« Reply #2392 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:20 PM »
Afraid the new track does almost nothing for me. It's not even bad, it's just a generic thrash banger. The riffs are ok and the lyrics almost comical.

I'll still reserve judgement for the rest of the album. If Hardwired was put out as a quick single to announce the coming release of the album, then hopefully it's simply the low-point of the record as a whole. It's a fun, but forgettable little tune and that's all I see it as.

Online Adami

« Reply #2393 on: August 20, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
Yea, I've seen Metallica live a hand full of times, they always put on a great show, though I really wish I could have seen them back in the late 80's, early 90's. That was just a totally different beast.

I think I'm a bit more reluctant to see them these days because the set-list is just so obvious and I already have like 5 or whatever DVDs of them doing essentially the same songs anyway.

If I thought I could go to a Metallica show and see Where the Wild Things are... or Fixxxer, or even Don't Tread on Me or songs I'm not terribly fond of like Dirty Window. I dunno, I just want the possibility for surprises to be higher.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2394 on: August 20, 2016, 11:34:11 PM »
I'm digging those other samples a lot more, although I would have liked to hear more vocal sections to judge. That first one after Hardwired sounded more TBA/Load/Reload style, which I consider a positive.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Adami

« Reply #2395 on: August 20, 2016, 11:38:38 PM »
I'm digging those other samples a lot more, although I would have liked to hear more vocal sections to judge. That first one after Hardwired sounded more TBA/Load/Reload style, which I consider a positive.

........samples?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2396 on: August 21, 2016, 12:29:50 AM »
^ Snippets.
I agree on the first song sounding like Loadish, as soon as I heard the guitar solo I thought Load.
The second one is more exciting, I'll call it Blackout cause that's the only work I recognized, it's got a cool groove to it.
Hardwired live audio.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2397 on: August 21, 2016, 12:41:44 AM »
^ Snippets.
I agree on the first song sounding like Loadish, as soon as I heard the guitar solo I thought Load.
The second one is more exciting, I'll call it Blackout cause that's the only work I recognized, it's got a cool groove to it.
Hardwired live audio.

Even the solo on Hardwired itself reminds me a bit more of the later bluesy influence, instead of the straight up shred. I'd be glad if Kirk focuses more on that style of solo on this album, because all of his solos on DM were atrocious.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2398 on: August 21, 2016, 01:33:23 AM »
I enjoyed the DM solos to a degree, it depends on what you go in expecting though. It's ridiculous to assume your grandpa is gonna pick you up over his shoulders when you're 25 years old and he's 80, even though has done it every time you visited at 8 years old when he was 63. That really applies to all aspects of criticizing Metallica right now for not being like they were before in some regard or the other.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2399 on: August 21, 2016, 01:41:13 AM »
I don't expect or want him to play solos like he did back on the early albums, quite the opposite (that goes for all of Metallica too). I actually want him to play something that fits his current level of ability, and it sounds like the leads on Hardwired to Self Destruct are doing that a bit better.
I just have the basic expectation that a musician of his experience could at least manage to play a solo that was in time and in key, or musical in any way, shape, or form. Instead the solos on DM sound like any 12 year old kid on Youtube who's just learned to badly play the MoP solo with his fudgy little fingers on that guitar that's too big for him. I just want Kirk to slow down and pay attention to note choice and timing, instead of fumbling over the fretboard to fill time.

tl;dr - I'm criticizing him because he sucks, not because he can't play the way he used to.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2400 on: August 21, 2016, 02:07:36 AM »
I just want Kirk to slow down and pay attention to note choice and timing

Have you ever seen him do that though? 2016 marks my 20th year of being a hardcore Metallica fan who's probably seen much more than he should have and I've never seen him to that  :lol
I hear ya though, you're definitely entitled to that expectation from any musician.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2401 on: August 21, 2016, 02:24:19 AM »
The teeny snippets sound very Load / Metallica to me. I want.

Online Adami

« Reply #2402 on: August 21, 2016, 02:24:56 AM »

Have you ever seen him do that though? 2016 marks my 20th year of being a hardcore Metallica fan who's probably seen much more than he should have and I've never seen him to that  :lol
I hear ya though, you're definitely entitled to that expectation from any musician.

Before St. Anger, yes. I mean, he doesn't have a perfect track record, but his solos on Load, Re-Load, Black Album, Justice, etc, while not all great, had quite a lot that were very well thought out. It's only live and from DM and this new song that he's just hitting lots of notes without much care.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2403 on: August 21, 2016, 02:52:19 AM »

Before St. Anger, yes. I mean, he doesn't have a perfect track record, but his solos on Load, Re-Load, Black Album, Justice, etc, while not all great, had quite a lot that were very well thought out. It's only live and from DM and this new song that he's just hitting lots of notes without much care.

Yup.

The teeny snippets sound very Load / Metallica to me. I want.

Other than the song Hardwired, I'm liking the sound of the direction. I hope there are some vocal harmonies though. What little we've heard so far sounds very basic vocally.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2404 on: August 21, 2016, 08:06:31 AM »
I like Hardwired. it's a short sharp shock to kick off the album.

They had 11 songs and around 75 mins and thought " lets just write a really short fast song to open the album ".  And on that basis I think it's fine.

If you don't like it - there's plenty more.

Plus the arrangement of hardwired is very promising. I think it's great. Especially the final 16 bars or so.

More of that please.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2405 on: August 21, 2016, 08:21:37 AM »
They are already ignoring Death Magnetic live?  Jeez.

And still playing Fuel and The Memory Remains? :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2406 on: August 21, 2016, 08:22:17 AM »
You're basing that on all the one gigs they did this year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2407 on: August 21, 2016, 08:25:21 AM »
Yep, I am. And I am not wrong. They ignored Death Magnetic at the show last night, and they played Fuel and The Memory Remains.  So what is the problem?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2408 on: August 21, 2016, 08:30:05 AM »
Yep, I am. And I am not wrong. They ignored Death Magnetic at the show last night, and they played Fuel and The Memory Remains.  So what is the problem?

I have absolutely no idea. You tell me.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2409 on: August 21, 2016, 08:34:22 AM »
Pfft, you're looking for an argument, which you aren't going to get from me.  See ya.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2410 on: August 21, 2016, 08:37:02 AM »
Pfft, i'm losing an argument,   See ya.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2411 on: August 21, 2016, 08:43:08 AM »
 :lol :lol If you need to feel like you are winning, when I am trying to scale it back and not let this turn this into silliness, have at it.  Isn't that what the internet is all about, after all?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2412 on: August 21, 2016, 08:52:15 AM »
:lol :lol If you need to feel like you are winning, when I am trying to scale it back and not let this turn this into silliness, have at it.  Isn't that what the internet is all about, after all?

:hifive:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2413 on: August 21, 2016, 09:00:01 AM »
I personally like when bands skip the last album. Maybe it's because the bands I love it see multiple times and I've had my fill of it.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2016, 09:08:02 AM by kingshmegland »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2414 on: August 21, 2016, 09:02:18 AM »
^ Exactly, almost all Metallica fans I come across are like that too.
They change the setlists around very often, Cyanide and All Nightmare long were very recently in circulation. I'd be mighty fuckin pissed off if I went to a Metallica show that is not in support of a specific album and didn't get Fuel, Memory Remains is great live as well.