Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 386967 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2135 on: June 27, 2016, 09:20:50 AM »
I have to assume - absent some clear indication otherwise - that DM is produced and sounds exactly the way that James and Lars want it to.

If this is true, then James and Lars are deaf. Seriously, Death Magnetic's production is awful. It is bad to the point where it actively distorts the music and can be painful to hear. I know you really don't like to say that something that a band did is wrong, rather than not to your preference or whatever, but there is a degree of objective quality in production and DM completely fails. If it's intentional, it's a terrible intentional decision (as it was on St. Anger). If it's not intentional, which seems to be the case from the fact that James and Lars seem to have no idea that there's a problem, it's because those two don't hear so well anymore, or weren't listening on good speakers.

There's room for debate and artist's creative decisions in production. For example, deciding between a "warm" production like DT or a "cold" production like Opeth. There isn't a right answer there and the artist's intentions are important. But the choice between "clipping the album to hell to the point where the audio distorts for no good reason" and "not doing that aforementioned terrible thing" isn't just a matter of opinion, it's a choice between doing things poorly and doing them well.

AND

Also, the judgment of the band members is crap. I recall Lars saying not long ago that he still thinks Death Magnetic sounds incredible.

I hear what you're saying, I really do, except... I don't agree.  You're still inserting a subjective standard - here, assuming that the clipping is both "for no good reason" and a "terrible thing".  Is Yoko Ono's caterwauling "art" or "for no good reason" and a "terrible thing"?   If you ask John, the former, if you ask Chuck Berry, the latter.    Personally, I don't see why you would do that either, but then again, I don't see why you would scream/growl your lyrics like the cookie monster either.  But people do, to express themselves.

Who the fuck knows?  Maybe that's Lars' way of being punk, or in the context of the 2010's, making up for the lack of dexterity by creating a sonic representation of being on the edge?  Who knows?   But to say "I find it unpleasant, therefore Lars must be deaf" is a ridiculous statement to me.

Offline 425

« Reply #2136 on: June 27, 2016, 09:42:38 AM »
Yoko Ono's caterwauling is not art, it is done for no good reason, and it is a terrible thing.

Who the fuck knows?  Maybe that's Lars' way of being punk, or in the context of the 2010's, making up for the lack of dexterity by creating a sonic representation of being on the edge?  Who knows?   But to say "I find it unpleasant, therefore Lars must be deaf" is a ridiculous statement to me.

It's not about it being personally unpleasant to me. There is an objective standard, which is clarity of audio. It's like if a famous director wound up shooting an entire film with a terrible camera that made the visuals very grainy throughout, hard to make out a lot of what's going on. I know you'd probably say "that's just their artistic choice" but for me, no. Objectively, that's bad filmmaking because it objectively makes it harder to see all what's going on in the film. That is exactly, exactly what Metallica did for DM. They probably didn't even intend it, but even if they did, like on SA it's still objectively bad production. Just like regardless of whether our filmmaker intentionally chose to use a terrible camera, or happened to use one by mistake. Either way, it's bad filmmaking. And DM is bad production.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2137 on: June 27, 2016, 09:59:39 AM »
I hear what you're saying, I really do, except... I don't agree.  You're still inserting a subjective standard - here, assuming that the clipping is both "for no good reason" and a "terrible thing".  Is Yoko Ono's caterwauling "art" or "for no good reason" and a "terrible thing"?   If you ask John, the former, if you ask Chuck Berry, the latter.    Personally, I don't see why you would do that either, but then again, I don't see why you would scream/growl your lyrics like the cookie monster either.  But people do, to express themselves.

The fact that they eventually issued a remaster on iTunes is pretty good evidence that the horrendous over-compression wasn't an artistic choice. By contrast, the raw production on St Anger was intentional. I still don't like it, but that was what they were going for. But DM was not.

Other "production" choices such as song structures, etc., yeah I'm with you. But the over-compressed mastering, no.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2138 on: June 27, 2016, 10:05:06 AM »
I agree. St Anger sounds bad imo, but it was clearly an artistic decision and sounds exactly the way Metallic wanted it to at the time. DM was not an artistic choice, it was just very obviously screwed up mixing/mastering.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline 425

« Reply #2139 on: June 27, 2016, 10:07:50 AM »
I agree that the SA being an artistic choice vs. DM being unintentional is a good distinction to make, but I also don't think that it changes the fact that SA's production is a pretty terrible artistic choice—since there's a certain set of standards that production should meet and SA utterly fails to meet them.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2140 on: June 27, 2016, 10:25:08 AM »

It's not about it being personally unpleasant to me. There is an objective standard, which is clarity of audio.

Can you post the link?  Because I missed that Directive.

It's like if a famous director wound up shooting an entire film with a terrible camera that made the visuals very grainy throughout, hard to make out a lot of what's going on. I know you'd probably say "that's just their artistic choice" but for me, no. Objectively, that's bad filmmaking because it objectively makes it harder to see all what's going on in the film. That is exactly, exactly what Metallica did for DM. They probably didn't even intend it, but even if they did, like on SA it's still objectively bad production. Just like regardless of whether our filmmaker intentionally chose to use a terrible camera, or happened to use one by mistake. Either way, it's bad filmmaking. And DM is bad production.

Well, "Blair Witch Project".   You just made my point for me; not sure what else I can say.  You value clarity of visual and audio.  THAT'S YOU.  That's YOUR subjective standard.     I don't personally care "how clear" it is or isn't, except when deciding if I like it or if I want to hear it again.  But in terms of art, I don't care one way or another.  The only objective standard is what the artist wants us to hear.       

Offline 425

« Reply #2141 on: June 27, 2016, 10:44:23 AM »

It's not about it being personally unpleasant to me. There is an objective standard, which is clarity of audio.

Can you post the link?  Because I missed that Directive.

It's pretty obtuse to equate "objective" with "decreed by some authority." In making that claim, you throw out pretty much all standards in anything. To use an example from another category, there are objective standards in the design of appliances like refrigerators. These standards weren't handed down by the Refrigerator Gods, obviously. But they exist nonetheless. The primary standard is how well the refrigerator does at keeping the interior temperature controlled. A refrigerator that couldn't keep anything cold or could only maintain a temperature so low that it froze everything inside would be, objectively, a poorly-made refrigerator. No "Directive" necessary.

The purpose of production in music is to make an audio recording comprehensible to the listener. If that wasn't the point, there would be no such field—the band would just all play at once in a room or garage and they'd record it with an iPhone and then ship the unaltered recording off to the label and that would be the album. The whole reason they don't do that is because if they did that it would be horrendously unclear. That's why the whole practice of audio production takes place. The point is clarity, the standard is clarity, any production job that fails to meet this standard is a bad one, and none of this needs to have been decreed by the Music Gods.

Notice that I'm leaving plenty of room for personal preference in production, since there is room for that. Steven Wilson produces very cold-sounding albums. Martin Birch-produced albums are very warm-sounding. Both have a clear sound and meet the other standards of production, so they're both good producers, but there's also plenty of room for preference. Just like there's room for preference about whether you want a refrigerator that has a lot of vegetable drawers or none, whether you want there to be an ice-maker in the door and what you want the shelf configuration to be.

It's like if a famous director wound up shooting an entire film with a terrible camera that made the visuals very grainy throughout, hard to make out a lot of what's going on. I know you'd probably say "that's just their artistic choice" but for me, no. Objectively, that's bad filmmaking because it objectively makes it harder to see all what's going on in the film. That is exactly, exactly what Metallica did for DM. They probably didn't even intend it, but even if they did, like on SA it's still objectively bad production. Just like regardless of whether our filmmaker intentionally chose to use a terrible camera, or happened to use one by mistake. Either way, it's bad filmmaking. And DM is bad production.

Well, "Blair Witch Project".   You just made my point for me; not sure what else I can say.  You value clarity of visual and audio.  THAT'S YOU.  That's YOUR subjective standard.     I don't personally care "how clear" it is or isn't, except when deciding if I like it or if I want to hear it again.  But in terms of art, I don't care one way or another.  The only objective standard is what the artist wants us to hear.     

You missed the point entirely. I'm not saying that Blair Witch Project is a bad film. I'm not saying anything about its quality as a film, except in one area: It does have bad production. Objectively. It fails to meet basic standards in that area. How important that area is can be debated. To me it's pretty important. To you it clearly isn't. But there are standards of quality in production that are not debatable. So since you don't seem to care about production quality at all, you should be saying "it may have bad production, but that doesn't matter to me" instead of trying to argue that bad production is good. It isn't. Nothing you say will make Death Magnetic's production not a dumpster fire.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2142 on: June 27, 2016, 10:45:32 AM »
I love Death Magnetic as anyone participating in my Metallica Survivor could tell you but the production is absolutely abysmal on it. It's loud to the point of being painful to listen to with headphones. Regardless of whether it was an artistic choice or not, the end result is still a badly produced album that eventually had to be remastered and rereleased on iTunes.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2143 on: June 27, 2016, 10:52:05 AM »

The fact that they eventually issued a remaster on iTunes is pretty good evidence that the horrendous over-compression wasn't an artistic choice. By contrast, the raw production on St Anger was intentional. I still don't like it, but that was what they were going for. But DM was not.

Other "production" choices such as song structures, etc., yeah I'm with you. But the over-compressed mastering, no.

Specifically with respect to DM, maybe, maybe not, but certainly I agree with you conceptually.  Not every release is "artist intent", the most obvious being Vapor Trails.   But I just bristle at this notion that some schlub in his basement listening on his mom's stereo (figuratively speaking of course) somehow knows better what an "artistic choice should be" than the guys that have been making these choices their entire adult life, have sold over 50 million copies of their various artistic choices, and whose artistic choices have landed them in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame...

Offline 425

« Reply #2144 on: June 27, 2016, 11:08:17 AM »
Making artistic choices their whole lives does not make them immune from making catastrophically bad ones at times.

Typically, I agree with you about people who really don't know what they're talking about being very dismissive of the choices made by successful musicians. But I don't think you can say that the basement schlub is always wrong or that the famous musician is always right no matter what choices they make. In the case of the DM production, that's an obviously and objectively bad choice and anyone who points that out is right. In the case of the band choosing to use piano on The Unforgiven III, that's where the basement schlub can get off his high horse because that's a choice that it's hard or impossible to really say is objectively good or bad, and at that point the ability of Metallica to say what they want to say in their song reasserts itself.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2145 on: June 27, 2016, 12:23:41 PM »
Seems to be a lot of people confusing production and mastering in this thread.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2146 on: June 27, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »
The Blair Witch Project gave me a headache watching it and DM gives me a headache listening to it

Offline 425

« Reply #2147 on: June 27, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »

It is my understanding, though I am certainly no expert, that mastering is a component of production.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2148 on: June 27, 2016, 12:43:04 PM »

It is my understanding, though I am certainly no expert, that mastering is a component of production.

You are correct, mastering is a part of the production process.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2149 on: June 27, 2016, 01:11:55 PM »
Making artistic choices their whole lives does not make them immune from making catastrophically bad ones at times.

Typically, I agree with you about people who really don't know what they're talking about being very dismissive of the choices made by successful musicians. But I don't think you can say that the basement schlub is always wrong or that the famous musician is always right no matter what choices they make. In the case of the DM production, that's an obviously and objectively bad choice and anyone who points that out is right. In the case of the band choosing to use piano on The Unforgiven III, that's where the basement schlub can get off his high horse because that's a choice that it's hard or impossible to really say is objectively good or bad, and at that point the ability of Metallica to say what they want to say in their song reasserts itself.

I don't see any difference between choosing to master a disk "hot" and, say, putting distortion on a guitar.  Or echo on the drums.  Listen to "Strawberry Fields Forever".  it's actually two takes spliced together at around the 1:00 mark (bear with me, I'm working from memory).   The splice is CLEARLY evident by the sound of the drums.  John liked that because it added to the dreamy context of the song, and occurred right after he sang "Let me take you down, 'cause I'm going to..." and made it seem like a transition.

If Lars wants that clipped, compressed sound in order to send the impression that they are on overload and are blasting out thrash metal to the maximum, who are you to say otherwise?   

You can say it's "wrong" all you want, that doesn't make it so.   It's just your subjective opinion.   I've been telling women for years that 5'8" is the evolutionarily optimum height for a human male, but they aren't biting. Same thing. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2150 on: June 27, 2016, 01:15:24 PM »

But they are separate "activities" and are often (though not always) done by different people (meaning, the person that produces the album doesn't necessarily mix the album and both may be different from the guy that masters the album.  Though the producer may be present at all three 'events'. 

I just find the notion that a band would dedicate 2 (or more) years of their life and spend sometimes over millions of dollars to produce new work that they have to now live with for the next two years of the touring cycle and then at the very last minute just have someone "ruin it entirely" to be implausible. 

Offline 425

« Reply #2151 on: June 27, 2016, 01:34:19 PM »

That's what I thought, thanks for confirming. I'm using "production" here to basically describe the qualities of recording, mixing and mastering—whatever makes the album sound the way it does beyond songwriting, musician performances and choice of tones. It might be more precise to say "engineering," but music fans all over use "production" to essentially refer to these things, so I'm just following a style that I've gotten used to because it's very widely used.

@Stadler:

Using a cut between takes to sound like a transition is a brief effect and is totally different from producing such a brickwalled master that the sound audibly clips making it hard to even discern the notes that the guitar is playing. It's also different than distorting the soundwaves produced by the guitar to give it a certain sound.

Your whole line of reasoning is absurd. According to you, if Metallica recorded a bunch of static, and placed that static at the front of the mix for the entire album, so that all the music was covered start to finish with a layer of white noise, that would be equally as good as a crisp, clear recording with every instrument defined and audible. If they put out that album, and I said, "man, this production is terrible," you'd still be saying "but that's just your opinion! Their artistic choices are paramount! You can't say this is bad!"

And, per my refrigerator example, if a refrigerator manufacturer sold me a refrigerator that had only one temperature setting, and that setting froze all of my food solid, and I said, "man, this is a terrible refrigerator," you, according to the reasoning you have laid out in this thread, would have to say, "but that's just your opinion! The choices of the refrigerator manufacturer are paramount! You can't say this is bad!"

I don't want to turn this into a political or philosophical thread, but I'm honestly tired of this trend of saying that there are no objective standards for anything, and that everything is subjective. Yes, there are objective standards. There obviously are. And if there weren't, everyone would have to subscribe to an absurd worldview of which "refrigerators that don't work are no better or worse than refrigerators that do work" is merely the tip of the iceberg.

There are objective standards in music production. I've laid some of them out. I've shown how absurd it is to allege that these standards are not objective. I don't know what more there is to say.

I just find the notion that a band would dedicate 2 (or more) years of their life and spend sometimes over millions of dollars to produce new work that they have to now live with for the next two years of the touring cycle and then at the very last minute just have someone "ruin it entirely" to be implausible. 

I find it implausible, too, but it happened. The thing sounds like garbage. Maybe Lars and James can't hear well enough to tell the difference anymore, or maybe they only listened to it very loudly on a car radio (a scenario in which the difference between a good mastering job and a brickwall is not highly discernible). But whatever the reason, and however implausible you think it is, it happened. We don't need to calculate the odds of it happening, because we have actual evidence that it happened: the final recording, which sounds like garbage from a production standpoint.

I'm sure this has been posted many times before, but it makes it very obvious how bad of a hack job the mastering was. And it's just strange, in my opinion, to refuse to say that one of these options is clearly the better one just because Lars might have preferred the other.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2152 on: June 27, 2016, 01:58:43 PM »

But they are separate "activities" and are often (though not always) done by different people (meaning, the person that produces the album doesn't necessarily mix the album and both may be different from the guy that masters the album.  Though the producer may be present at all three 'events'. 

Yeah I assumed from context the conversation was about the production process of the record, not about the specific role of the producer. The production process of a record starts in pre-production and runs all the way through to physical production of the finished product. The producer isn't necessary there for all those steps, but they are still apart of the production process.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2153 on: June 27, 2016, 02:07:21 PM »
Correct. The Producer does not master the album. He may mix it and engineer it but not master it.

Offline 425

« Reply #2154 on: June 27, 2016, 02:10:15 PM »
Yeah I assumed from context the conversation was about the production process of the record, not about the specific role of the producer. The production process of a record starts in pre-production and runs all the way through to physical production of the finished product. The producer isn't necessary there for all those steps, but they are still apart of the production process.

Right, and I was referring to the production process more so than the specific actions of the producer, Rick Rubin.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2155 on: June 27, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
Rick Ruin.... ::)

He's barely a producer.  He's got the right approach inasmuch as he turns up now and again and therefore has the freshest and unbiased opinion on the music.

But he takes all the credit for Fidelman being the actual hands-on producer on that album. Suggesting guitar tones and arrangements.

Probably why he started producing on his own so he could get producer credits.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2156 on: June 27, 2016, 02:14:01 PM »

Right, and I was referring to the production process more so than the specific actions of the producer, Rick Rubin.

Haha I figured as much, I mean if you were referring to the specific actions of Rubin there wouldn't be much to talk about beyond how to lay on a couch.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2157 on: June 27, 2016, 02:18:27 PM »
Not saying it's a pre-requisite of being a music producer...But I doubt Rick even knows what anything on a big mixing desk even does.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2158 on: June 27, 2016, 02:19:02 PM »
Production can be characterised as the recording of the music. Mastering is part of the post-production process. In the specific case of Death Magnetic being brickwalled, we're referring to mastering rather than production.

That aside, Death Magnetic does sound utterly dreadful although it is a smidge better than Baroness's Purple. That truly is the worst sounding record I've ever heard.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2159 on: June 27, 2016, 02:22:27 PM »
Production can be characterised as the recording of the music. Mastering is part of the post-production process. In the specific case of Death Magnetic being brickwalled, we're referring to mastering rather than production.

That aside, Death Magnetic does sound utterly dreadful although it is a smidge better than Baroness's Purple. That truly is the worst sounding record I've ever heard.

Truth. Purple sounds HORRIBLE. I was so disappointed as they seemed so happy with it in the behind the scenes. Such a shame.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2160 on: June 28, 2016, 08:06:10 AM »
Using a cut between takes to sound like a transition is a brief effect and is totally different from producing such a brickwalled master that the sound audibly clips making it hard to even discern the notes that the guitar is playing. It's also different than distorting the soundwaves produced by the guitar to give it a certain sound.

How, exactly?

Your whole line of reasoning is absurd. According to you, if Metallica recorded a bunch of static, and placed that static at the front of the mix for the entire album, so that all the music was covered start to finish with a layer of white noise, that would be equally as good as a crisp, clear recording with every instrument defined and audible. If they put out that album, and I said, "man, this production is terrible," you'd still be saying "but that's just your opinion! Their artistic choices are paramount! You can't say this is bad!"

Let's get into this a little.  You're mixing up words here.   There's objectively "good" or "bad", which doesn't exist UNLESS AND UNTIL we all - all 7.3 billion of us - arrive at and agree on a standard that we all say is how "good" or "bad" is measured.  That does not exist.     There is also the subjective "do I like it or not".  Often people make the shortcut to the mistaken "It's good" or "it's bad".  Really, they just mean they like it or not.   

But then you can have specific objective criteria.   The side category of "is it as clear as possible", which is a "yes or no" question, and is objective.   But we have to agree that this is a meaningful standard.   Apparently you do.   I don't.  So you have failed in getting 7.3 billion people to agree.   It is therefore subjective.    There is also "is it aesthetically pleasing", which is very much subjective, and in the "do I like it or not" basket.  I personally think DM is not aesthetically pleasing.  I like warm, "wet" sounding music, like "Clutching at Straws" by Marillion, or "Wind and Wuthering" by Genesis. 

And yes, I would say "that's your opinion".  If that is the EXACT sound they were going for, and NAILED IT TO THE FUCKING WALL, then that to me is AWESOME production.  Their producer did EXACTLY what he was asked to do.  By the way, your example exists.  Listen to the last three minutes or so of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)", where John had Geoff Emerick overdub white noise over most of the second half of the song. 

And, per my refrigerator example, if a refrigerator manufacturer sold me a refrigerator that had only one temperature setting, and that setting froze all of my food solid, and I said, "man, this is a terrible refrigerator," you, according to the reasoning you have laid out in this thread, would have to say, "but that's just your opinion! The choices of the refrigerator manufacturer are paramount! You can't say this is bad!"

Not quite.  No.   That's different. I would have still sided with the manufacturer but for different reasons.  It IS their choice to put out the products they want.  If you're dumb enough to by a freezer and use it as a refrigerator, that's on you.   I'm kidding, of course, you're not dumb at all.  But now you're talking about the UTILITY of a product, and not the artistic intent of the artist.  To put it in terms I used above, we have all agreed on an objective standard for our refrigerators:  we agree that they should cool the food down to a level that is just above freezing.  If they do that, they are working, and if they don't they aren't.  I'm not at all saying that we should have a ton of refrigerators that don't suit our purpose. 

I don't want to turn this into a political or philosophical thread, but I'm honestly tired of this trend of saying that there are no objective standards for anything, and that everything is subjective. Yes, there are objective standards. There obviously are. And if there weren't, everyone would have to subscribe to an absurd worldview of which "refrigerators that don't work are no better or worse than refrigerators that do work" is merely the tip of the iceberg.

425, that's not at ALL what I'm saying.   In fact, I happen to agree with you; I think there are far more objective standards than we as a society are willing to accept.  We are in agreement on that.   But it just so happens that we are not talking about one of them now when we talk about Death Magnetic. 

There are objective standards in music production. I've laid some of them out. I've shown how absurd it is to allege that these standards are not objective. I don't know what more there is to say.

There CAN be.   But we (collective, not you and me personally) have to agree on what they are before they apply.  Certainly, if we were compiling a list of the "clearest produced albums of the 21st century", DM would not make the list.   it's only a "fail", though, if that was the objective that Rick and Lars and James were shooting for.   Let's use another example, shall we?  Who's hotter?  Margot Robbie or Sofia Vergara?   I say Margot Robbie, you say Sofia.   Who is right?  Well, I happen to be a sucker for a pretty face, and you, as I am taken to understand it, are something of a tittie aficionado.   Who is right?  This is a matter of AETHETICS.  It depends on your individual subjective standard.  No such objective standard exists at this time (and thank god, because my wife thinks I'm handsome, god bless her insanity).  Who's a better guitar soloist?  Alex Lifeson or Yngwie Malmsteen?   Certainly, by the objective standard of "discernible, clear notes per second" that is Yngwie, but don't some people find the noise at the start of the Spirit of Radio solo to be inspiring?   They might vote for Alex. 

I find it implausible, too, but it happened. The thing sounds like garbage. Maybe Lars and James can't hear well enough to tell the difference anymore, or maybe they only listened to it very loudly on a car radio (a scenario in which the difference between a good mastering job and a brickwall is not highly discernible). But whatever the reason, and however implausible you think it is, it happened. We don't need to calculate the odds of it happening, because we have actual evidence that it happened: the final recording, which sounds like garbage from a production standpoint.

Well, to YOU.  Let's not get too arrogant.  Your "standard" has not, as I understand it, been adopted by the Hague, so it's not the world wide objective standard for 'good'.

Let me come at this in another way: there's nothing out there that you actually find "good" (i.e. "like") that the vast majority don't?  You have no "guilty pleasures" as it were?  Are you willing to say you're wrong there? 

And it's just strange, in my opinion, to refuse to say that one of these options is clearly the better one just because Lars might have preferred the other.

And again, stop being "sloppy" with your terminology.  What's "better"?   if you are subjectively adopting a standard, you have to tell the rest of us, and we have to agree.  If we don't you're shit out of luck.  And Lars, for one, DOESN'T.  Other than that, you can only say "I like this production" or "I don't like this production".    Beyond that, it's Lars' record, and he gets to say how it sounds, for whatever (or no, as the case may be) reason.   

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2161 on: June 28, 2016, 08:43:32 AM »
Death Magnetic sounds bad to people who are into music production and sound quality etc.

People who know nothing about any of that stuff - it sounds fine to them .

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2162 on: June 28, 2016, 10:25:22 AM »
People who know nothing about any of that stuff - it sounds fine to them .
Like Lars. :neverusethis:

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline 425

« Reply #2163 on: June 28, 2016, 10:32:56 PM »
Let's get into this a little.  You're mixing up words here.   There's objectively "good" or "bad", which doesn't exist UNLESS AND UNTIL we all - all 7.3 billion of us - arrive at and agree on a standard that we all say is how "good" or "bad" is measured.

if you are subjectively adopting a standard, you have to tell the rest of us, and we have to agree.  If we don't you're shit out of luck.  And Lars, for one, DOESN'T.

I'll give a more detailed response tomorrow, but this is... erroneous. And it contradicts this:

In fact, I happen to agree with you; I think there are far more objective standards than we as a society are willing to accept.  We are in agreement on that. 

If every single person on the planet has to agree in order for standards to be objective, no standard is objective. Period. There is absolutely no meaningful statement with which every person on the planet agrees. None. For any standard that you might present as an example of one that you agree with me is objective, I could, if I cared hard enough about playing devil's advocate to do so, find someone who disagreed with it.

So if your standard for objectivity in standard-setting is universal consensus behind that standard, you don't believe in objectivity in any meaningful sense.

What I mean by objectivity is a standard that is true whether or not people agree. It usually takes the form: "The purpose of x is y. In order for x to achieve y, it must have characteristics a, b and c." So with music production, I'm saying: "The purpose of music production is to combine various music recordings to make one recording that enables the listener to hear the music. In order for it to do this, the production must be clear, there must be separation between the instruments and each instrument must be assigned an appropriate volume to balance with the other instruments." Now, we can quibble about these particular points. And I can be wrong about what these points are. The attributes of a good music production may differ slightly or significantly from what I say they are. I'm trying to IDENTIFY the standard, not CREATE it. This point is significant. The standard exists, and by naming it I'm trying to identify it, not making up my own standard which I set down in stone and demand everyone else uphold. This means that if Lars thinks differently from me, I'm not "out of luck" on saying the standard is objective. One or both of us is merely wrong about what the standard is.

It is utterly bizarre to say that disagreement about what a standard actually is means that there is no standard.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #2164 on: June 29, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »
To me it's not a question of whether the production is bad or not. It's a badly produced album by any standards. The question is whether the listener is ok with it or not. I for example absolutely love the album despite the production problems but others feel that the album was ruined by it. The production quality is objective but how the listener prioritizes it when judging the quality of an album is completely subjective. This little debate is essentially about semantics with it all coming down to whether or not the importance of something to a listener turns the quality of that thing from objective to subjective. I don't think it does as I feel that the quality and importance to the listener are mutually exclusive. Something can be objectively bad or good and not matter in the slightest to someone but mean everything to someone else. It's basically having differing opinions on a fact.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2016, 02:00:36 PM by TheCountOfNYC »
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2165 on: June 29, 2016, 08:52:52 AM »
I'll give a more detailed response tomorrow, but this is... erroneous. And it contradicts this:

I don't think it does.   There is a difference between someone not knowing (or not accepting) a factual answer, and in there not BEING a factual answer.    Take evolution for example.   Or God.   There IS an answer for that.  It's not subjective; there either IS a God, or there ISN'T.  We don't know (perhaps we're not capable of knowing) so we each have our opinions, but there IS an answer.   I believe that there are far more topics like this than there aren't, and yet we debate EVERYTHING (I don't mean here, though that too. :)).   There IS an answer to whether "weed is harmful or not".  There IS an answer as to whether minimum wage helps or hurts a specific economy.  Etc.   That's what I am referring to when I say 'there are more objective standards than people think'.   

You feeling that "clarity" is the hallmark of "good production" is not in that category. 

If every single person on the planet has to agree in order for standards to be objective, no standard is objective. Period. There is absolutely no meaningful statement with which every person on the planet agrees. None. For any standard that you might present as an example of one that you agree with me is objective, I could, if I cared hard enough about playing devil's advocate to do so, find someone who disagreed with it.

So if your standard for objectivity in standard-setting is universal consensus behind that standard, you don't believe in objectivity in any meaningful sense.

No, to the last thing (see above).  But as to your first statement, I respectfully think you have it backwards:  it's more that "a standard isn't objective unless and until every person on the planet can agree with it".  We don't have to LITERALLY have every person agree; that's a tautology given that some people will disagree out of principle.   But there are proxies for that; that's where the meaning comes in.  Government is one; laws and regulations are another; even rules of etiquette and the like are attempts at standardization.  We may not every one of us agree that "killing is bad" but we have proxies; under most circumstances, if you kill there will be consequences whether you ACTUALLY believe you did wrong or not. 

What I mean by objectivity is a standard that is true whether or not people agree. It usually takes the form: "The purpose of x is y. In order for x to achieve y, it must have characteristics a, b and c." So with music production, I'm saying: "The purpose of music production is to combine various music recordings to make one recording that enables the listener to hear the music. In order for it to do this, the production must be clear, there must be separation between the instruments and each instrument must be assigned an appropriate volume to balance with the other instruments."

You MAYBE had me with the first sentence (though not really).  But you really lost me when you veered off wildly into "425 Opinion-land" with everything that followed.  What about this version of the definition?  "The purpose of music production is to effectively and efficiently translate the artistic idea or concept into a form or format whereby it can be reproduced consistently for the listener, in such a manner that the artistic intent of the creator is translated."   

What about "Metal Machine Music"?   What about "4:33"? Or better yet, "4:33 No. 2" or "One3"?   

What about the remaster of The Stooges "Raw Power", arguably the "loudest" album ever, that was done purely on purpose, by Iggy?  It even says so in the liner notes.   Even the two early mixes/masters, one by Pop and one by Bowie, are of questionable quality by your production standards (YOURS, mind you), and yet this album is regularly cited as a favorite by people like Kurt Cobain, Henry Rollins, Johnny Marr and Steve Jones.  Hell, even Cee-lo Green has praised the song "Search and Destroy" from this album.

Now, we can quibble about these particular points. And I can be wrong about what these points are. The attributes of a good music production may differ slightly or significantly from what I say they are. I'm trying to IDENTIFY the standard, not CREATE it. This point is significant. The standard exists, and by naming it I'm trying to identify it, not making up my own standard which I set down in stone and demand everyone else uphold. This means that if Lars thinks differently from me, I'm not "out of luck" on saying the standard is objective. One or both of us is merely wrong about what the standard is.

Yes, I agree.  You ARE wrong about what the standard is.  I don't think there is a standard here, but even if I was to concede that point - which I could, easily, and remain intellectually honest - the standard would be "ARTIST INTENT".   Not what you like to hear in production, which is apparently "clarity".   

Offline 425

« Reply #2166 on: June 29, 2016, 10:19:31 AM »
I don't think it does.   There is a difference between someone not knowing (or not accepting) a factual answer, and in there not BEING a factual answer.    Take evolution for example.   Or God.   There IS an answer for that.  It's not subjective; there either IS a God, or there ISN'T.  We don't know (perhaps we're not capable of knowing) so we each have our opinions, but there IS an answer.   I believe that there are far more topics like this than there aren't, and yet we debate EVERYTHING (I don't mean here, though that too. :)).   There IS an answer to whether "weed is harmful or not".  There IS an answer as to whether minimum wage helps or hurts a specific economy.  Etc.   That's what I am referring to when I say 'there are more objective standards than people think'.

All of this is true by my definition of objectivity, but by yours that you stated before, it is not.

You said: "There's objectively 'good' or 'bad', which doesn't exist UNLESS AND UNTIL we all - all 7.3 billion of us - arrive at and agree on a standard that we all say is how 'good' or 'bad' is measured."

Okay. Let's take this at face value.

Some people think that good is being productive and having a focused mind. By that standard, weed is harmful. Some people think that good is having fun and enjoying yourself. By that standard, weed is not harmful. Certainly all 7.3 billion do not agree. By your definition of an objective standard, then, whether weed is harmful is subjective. And I can do this for any other sort of standard you might mention. By your statements about what makes something objective or not, nothing is objective. You'll have to either amend your definition of objectivity or state that few standards, if any at all, are objective in your view.

No, to the last thing (see above).  But as to your first statement, I respectfully think you have it backwards:  it's more that "a standard isn't objective unless and until every person on the planet can agree with it".  We don't have to LITERALLY have every person agree; that's a tautology given that some people will disagree out of principle.   But there are proxies for that; that's where the meaning comes in.  Government is one; laws and regulations are another; even rules of etiquette and the like are attempts at standardization.  We may not every one of us agree that "killing is bad" but we have proxies; under most circumstances, if you kill there will be consequences whether you ACTUALLY believe you did wrong or not. 

Okay, this modification opens all sorts of very questionable doors. You're saying that government, laws or rules of etiquette are proxies for universal agreement. This seems to suggest that these, then, are the keepers of objective standards. Your previous standard was that everyone agreeing is what tells us that a standard is objective, so the standards of governments and laws—proxies for everyone agreeing—are objective standards? That's very questionable. On the surface, of course, there is the problem that governments disagree. On cases that are not just marginal, and with governments that aren't just marginal. Most governments and laws in the European Union hold that free speech should be limited by laws against hate speech. The United States government and laws hold that there must not be any such limitations on free speech. If government creates objectivity, does that mean that there is not an objective answer to whether such limitations exist? Otherwise, how can you account for the contradiction?

I see that you're trying to fix the problems with cause and effect by saying that objective standards aren't created by agreement, but that agreement demonstrates to us that a standard is objective. But this is just an appeal ad populum, which is a very poor way to determine if something is objectively true. There was a time when almost everyone would have told you that the Sun orbits the Earth. Using popular agreement to decide if something is true is a very poor method. The better way is to use reason to investigate the standard and determine whether it is in accordance with the facts of reality.

You MAYBE had me with the first sentence (though not really).  But you really lost me when you veered off wildly into "425 Opinion-land" with everything that followed.  What about this version of the definition?  "The purpose of music production is to effectively and efficiently translate the artistic idea or concept into a form or format whereby it can be reproduced consistently for the listener, in such a manner that the artistic intent of the creator is translated."

That definition is circular. "The purpose of music production is to be produced in the way that the person in charge of it wants it to be produced." That definition serves your "everything goes" attitude, but it's utterly pointless because it means that every production is equally good, so long as the artist wants it. Even a recording engineered by someone sleeping on the soundboard and accidentally hitting buttons and changing settings is just as good as the best Steven Wilson production if it was "the artist's intent" to portray the effects of sleeping on the soundboard. I think that's absurd. Just as absurd as saying that the bad refrigerator is just fine because it was "the engineer's intent."

"The intent of this recording is to show what happens when you play a bunch of white noise over the top of a Metallica record" is still garbage production. The artist's intent does not determine good and bad. Sometimes artists are just bad at what they do.

Plus, as others have pointed out to you, Metallica has already put out a remastered Death Magnetic. Guess maybe it wasn't quite their intent to have an awfully produced record.

What about "Metal Machine Music"?   What about "4:33"? Or better yet, "4:33 No. 2" or "One3"?

4'33" is not music, and therefore, not art. Just as a blank canvas is not a painting and a slab of limestone is not a sculpture.

I don't know Metal Machine Music, and don't think I want to. Wikipedia says, "The album features no songs or even recognizably structured compositions, eschewing melody and rhythm for an hour of modulated feedback and guitar effects, mixed at varying speeds by Reed." If that's accurate, not art either. But we've veered from the main point.

What about the remaster of The Stooges "Raw Power", arguably the "loudest" album ever, that was done purely on purpose, by Iggy?  It even says so in the liner notes.   Even the two early mixes/masters, one by Pop and one by Bowie, are of questionable quality by your production standards (YOURS, mind you), and yet this album is regularly cited as a favorite by people like Kurt Cobain, Henry Rollins, Johnny Marr and Steve Jones.  Hell, even Cee-lo Green has praised the song "Search and Destroy" from this album.

People like songs on an album with bad production. I don't see the problem here. St. Anger has probably the worst production job ever on a commercial release, but I like Frantic. Production quality =/= performance quality =/= compositional quality.

Yes, I agree.  You ARE wrong about what the standard is.  I don't think there is a standard here, but even if I was to concede that point - which I could, easily, and remain intellectually honest - the standard would be "ARTIST INTENT".   Not what you like to hear in production, which is apparently "clarity".

If you concede that there is a standard, we're then having a different conversation. But whether you do or not is not "easy" or immaterial. When you say there is no standard, that immediately takes us to an absurd place. When you say that there is a standard but we disagree on what it is, then we can at least have a discussion about the standard. Unfortunately the standard you've offered is basically a non-standard-standard ("what determines whether a refrigerator is good or bad?" "MANUFACTURER INTENT" "what determines whether an economic policy is good or bad?" "GOVERNMENT INTENT" etc.), but at least we can have a discussion about the feasibility of that standard, if everyone actually agrees that there is a standard.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2167 on: June 29, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »
Some people think that good is being productive and having a focused mind. By that standard, weed is harmful. Some people think that good is having fun and enjoying yourself. By that standard, weed is not harmful. Certainly all 7.3 billion do not agree. By your definition of an objective standard, then, whether weed is harmful is subjective. And I can do this for any other sort of standard you might mention. By your statements about what makes something objective or not, nothing is objective. You'll have to either amend your definition of objectivity or state that few standards, if any at all, are objective in your view.

We're talking past each other, because I feel like we're saying the same thing, generally, and yet not applying it the same way.   You asked me if there was any absolute objectivity.   With the caveat that I'm not at all convinced that "weed is harmful" is the best example, you keep parsing down each definition to each nuance.   I'm not saying it IS harmful, I'm saying that cosmically there is an answer.  People who smoke either end up better or worse off in some measureable way.  I don't know what the ABSOLUTE answer is (though I suspect it IS harmful, it's just that the harm is likely acceptable to us as a society) just that there is one.  I don't have to parse it down to "harm" means this or that, and I don't have to literally get 7.3 billion to agree.  it is what it is.   My point is that if your standard is defined such that you DO need all 7.3 billion, it's not a good standard.  Your definition of "production" falls into that category.

Okay, this modification opens all sorts of very questionable doors. You're saying that government, laws or rules of etiquette are proxies for universal agreement. This seems to suggest that these, then, are the keepers of objective standards. Your previous standard was that everyone agreeing is what tells us that a standard is objective, so the standards of governments and laws—proxies for everyone agreeing—are objective standards? That's very questionable. On the surface, of course, there is the problem that governments disagree. On cases that are not just marginal, and with governments that aren't just marginal. Most governments and laws in the European Union hold that free speech should be limited by laws against hate speech. The United States government and laws hold that there must not be any such limitations on free speech. If government creates objectivity, does that mean that there is not an objective answer to whether such limitations exist? Otherwise, how can you account for the contradiction?

It's not the "keeper" of the objective standard.  It doesn't "create" objectivity.   It's merely the standard that we agree to use in the event that there is conflict.   "Proxy" is not the equivalent, it's the expression of the social contract.   I don't actually agree (I'm being serious, here) that free speech should be limited by laws against hate speech.  But as part of the social contract I recognize that when my belief collides with others, that the rule of government is going to supplant any objective standard.  In other words, I can't argue, in court, that "Judge, all 315 million people in the United States don't agree that hate speech should be banned, therefore I am not guilty."  That won't work.  it doesn't make "hate speech" the objective standard; it just operates as such in cases where we would prefer there to be an objective standard (or it's impractical to establish one). 

There was a time when almost everyone would have told you that the Sun orbits the Earth. Using popular agreement to decide if something is true is a very poor method. The better way is to use reason to investigate the standard and determine whether it is in accordance with the facts of reality.

EXACTLY.  I agree with that.   I just consider your definition of "good production" to be in that 'popular agreement' category.  "Clear?  I like clear windows. I like clear direction.  Therefore, 'clear production' ought to be better!"  No, it's not, if it isn't what the artist intends you to hear.

That definition is circular. "The purpose of music production is to be produced in the way that the person in charge of it wants it to be produced." That definition serves your "everything goes" attitude, but it's utterly pointless because it means that every production is equally good, so long as the artist wants it. Even a recording engineered by someone sleeping on the soundboard and accidentally hitting buttons and changing settings is just as good as the best Steven Wilson production if it was "the artist's intent" to portray the effects of sleeping on the soundboard. I think that's absurd. Just as absurd as saying that the bad refrigerator is just fine because it was "the engineer's intent."

It's not quite circular, even if my wording implies it.  It's meant to be the conduit between the idea in the artists' head and the idea as received by the listener.   The definition is intended to propose the idea that "good production" creates the least amount of friction or "signal loss" between the two. 

"The intent of this recording is to show what happens when you play a bunch of white noise over the top of a Metallica record" is still garbage production. The artist's intent does not determine good and bad. Sometimes artists are just bad at what they do.

I unequivocally, and with no reservation, disagree with you entirely here.   The artist has an idea, and presents it.  If it entails or requires "white noise over the music" then so be it.   if you get to change that by an arbitrary definition of "good production" involving "clarity", then you are no better than the record company guy that says "I don't hear a single.  Put something short on there, or something with some keyboards." 

Plus, as others have pointed out to you, Metallica has already put out a remastered Death Magnetic. Guess maybe it wasn't quite their intent to have an awfully produced record.

The one is not indicative of the other.   There are countless records that have multiple versions.  Whitesnake Slide it In.   Rainbow Rising.  MSG Built to Destroy.  And even more (I believe The Beatles is the biggest band to do this) that have a specific iTunes remaster.   The counter example is Vapor Trails.  That was NOT artist intent, as Geddy has gone on record saying "that's not what we bargained for" and they in fact released a remixed/remastered version.   If you can show me where Lars and/or James said "Wow, we screwed the pooch with Death Magnetic, and are releasing a remastered version that is now the definitive version.  Dump your CDs and buy the iTunes version!"   

4'33" is not music, and therefore, not art. Just as a blank canvas is not a painting and a slab of limestone is not a sculpture.

I don't know Metal Machine Music, and don't think I want to. Wikipedia says, "The album features no songs or even recognizably structured compositions, eschewing melody and rhythm for an hour of modulated feedback and guitar effects, mixed at varying speeds by Reed." If that's accurate, not art either. But we've veered from the main point.

HAHAHA. If we didn't have a ton of posts on this topic already I would call you out for trolling.   The John Cage compositions are ABSOLUTELY music, and ABSOLUTELY art.   There is no question as to that point.   There is some debate that MMM was a "fuck you" to the record company and Lou Reed was never entirely clear on refuting that, but most absolutely consider MMM to be "art".  This is integral to the conversation.  You are not the authority to decide what is or is not "art".   If I, as a sculptor, present a slab of limestone in an effort to make a statement regarding the unlimited artistic possibilities of art, or better yet, as a metaphor for "inner beauty" (the slab 'concealing' whatever final representation of sculpture that may be revealed later), that is MY call, not yours.  You can speak to the effectiveness of that statement, whether you got it or not, but you don't get to say whether it IS a statement or not.   

People like songs on an album with bad production. I don't see the problem here. St. Anger has probably the worst production job ever on a commercial release, but I like Frantic. Production quality =/= performance quality =/= compositional quality.

I agree with the latter, but we clearly don't agree on what constitutes "production quality".   I don't at all assume that "clarity" and "lack of distortion" is integral to that.

If you concede that there is a standard, we're then having a different conversation. But whether you do or not is not "easy" or immaterial. When you say there is no standard, that immediately takes us to an absurd place. When you say that there is a standard but we disagree on what it is, then we can at least have a discussion about the standard. Unfortunately the standard you've offered is basically a non-standard-standard ("what determines whether a refrigerator is good or bad?" "MANUFACTURER INTENT" "what determines whether an economic policy is good or bad?" "GOVERNMENT INTENT" etc.), but at least we can have a discussion about the feasibility of that standard, if everyone actually agrees that there is a standard.

Why is it so absurd?  I'm only trying to avoid confusion.   I don't think there is a universal standard.  I only proffered "artist intent" as a possible standard that all could agree on, but back against the wall, gun to head, I say there is no standard for "good" when it comes to artistic intent.   There is good "technique", there is "good" related to a specific measurable quantity, but there is no absolute "good".   Your criteria of "clarity" is of course measurable, and if "clarity" is the standard (and "more clear" equals "better") then you can tell whether someone is "better" or "worse".  I just don't think "clarity" trumps artist intent IF the artist doesn't want "clear". 

And stop confusing irrelevant examples; GE isn't selling their refrigerators as an artistic statement.  They are selling a utilitarian appliance that has one (or more) specific intents that can be measured and quantified.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2168 on: June 29, 2016, 11:26:13 AM »
Who cares....it's all about how the band sounds live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2169 on: June 29, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Who cares....it's all about how the band sounds live.

Which from reading this thread, would also be shit it seems