Author Topic: The Measles Thread  (Read 9189 times)

Calvin6s

Re: The Measles Thread
« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2015, 01:02:17 AM »
ABC News just last summer
Cabrera says agents are seeing illegal immigrants come over with contagious infections.

Detention centers and holding facilities have quarantined areas for those who come in sick. But Cabrera says the sick and healthy are separated only by caution tape.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2015, 06:58:36 AM »
This is a highly useful tool for looking at vaccine preventable outbreaks worldwide over the span of about 7 years.  It doesn't seem to suggest Mexico or Central American countries have nearly as many outbreaks as the US. 

https://www.cfr.org/interactives/GH_Vaccine_Map/#map

This is also an interesting link:

"Though it is often difficult to pinpoint precise origins of disease outbreaks, there is no evidence supporting a link between the recent outbreaks and illegal immigration."

and regarding the measles outbreak in the US in January 2015

"Schuchat did say that there have been no confirmed cases of transmission from the Philippines yet this year; Indonesia, India and the United Arab Emirates are among the countries currently under investigation as a source for the outbreak."

https://www.factcheck.org/2015/02/false-narrative-on-measles-outbreak/

Thanks! I thought this was interesting.
Between January and May 2014, the CDC reported 288 cases of measles and was able to pinpoint the origin for all but eight of them. The CDC counted 45 “direct importations” of the disease, which included 40 U.S. residents returning home from abroad and five foreign visitors; 22 of those were transfers from the Philippines. Only three came from the Americas, and the rest came from Southeast Asia and Europe.

Looks like I'll be scheduling a round of shots before we head to Europe this summer!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 07:04:23 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2015, 07:16:45 AM »
Following a link from that FactCheck.org article leads here. I encourage anyone interested to read the whole article and not skim.

California’s epidemic of vaccine denial, mapped

The scale on these maps tops off at 5 percent. But in some individual school districts, the actual PBE rate is much, much higher. At River Springs Charter School in Temecula, California, nearly a quarter of the 556 kindergartners had personal belief exemptions this year. A third of the kindergartners at the Visions in Education public school in Carmichael hold PBEs, as do 51 percent of kindergartners at Ocean Grove Charter School in Boulder Creek. At a handful of private schools, the PBE rate is 75 percent or more.

It seems one of these kids, given their affluent parents, would have been much more likely to have traveled abroad and then visit Disneyland.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:36:12 AM by Podaar »
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2015, 08:30:01 AM »
Stadler, you can't have it both ways. If you truly believe that all individuals have the right to choose for themselves, then that means that you must believe in at the very least creating a level playing field so to speak to enable everyone to have the opportunity to choose without fear of harm. You can't say everyone has the right to choose, so long as it falls in line with my beliefs. That anyone who cannot be vaccinated is just what, "shit out of luck" because forcing others to do something to help eliminate the spread of disease is wrong? I mean why don't we just allow people to not use public toilets to remove and control human waste? Isn't that the same thing? If we allowed people to just take a dump wherever they felt like it, that leads to the spread of disease quicker than just about anything you can imagine. Forcing people to use indoor plumbing in populated areas is a form of "control" is it not?

I am not 100% sure what you mean by the term, but if I am understanding you correctly, I absolutely do not believe in creating a level playing field.  "Fear of harm"?   Where is that guarantee?   Removing the "fear of harm" - well, let's be honest, it can't be removed, so we lower it to the extent reasonable - is one of the examples of how we knowingly and with intent compromise our pure free will in the interest of the social contract.    But having said that, I'm not at odds with you, I'm just saying that I believe we have to take the least restrictive means of accomplishing the goal.     All I'm saying is this:  I think we all agree that right now, it seems far too easy to run rough-shod over the social contract.   Someone can apparently wake up one morning, have an epiphany that vaccines cause cancer and hemorrhoids and stop their children from being protected.  We agree that is bad.  All I'm saying is that if someone's epiphany is SO strong that they are willing to jump through all the hoops to get there, and are willing to bear all the consequences of being there, I don't think we should force them to cooperate.   You use indoor plumbing, but - and hear me out on this - if I REALLY feel strongly enough, I CAN take a crap in the street if I so choose (I have literally seen that once in New York City, by the way).   I will bear the consequences of that, but I can.   But what about this example:  we all seem to agree that vaccinations are best overall for society.  What if, once it becomes apparent to the laypeople, that rapists and sex offenders are born that way (much like we've come to realize that sexual orientation is largely a characteristic we're born with) and someone gets the bright idea that anyone showing those cahracteristics should be sterilized for the good of society.  Willing to go there?  What's the difference with THAT? 

People like Jenny McCarthy have done serious damage to the foundation of the vaccination effort. It used to be that people were just playing Russian Roulette before the various vaccines became available. Take Polio for instance, people lined up like crazy to get their families immunized once the vaccine was developed. Then it became more of an education thing. People who came from countries who didn't know about the importance of immunizations, and those who came from poorer area's who were either too illiterate or too poor to know  why it was important or have the means to do so became the targets of the educational efforts. Then when the antivax movement really took off, it was an uphill battle for the health community because they were seen as co-conspirators in some vast effort to what, kill off kids?

Unless you have some medical reason NOT to be immunized, it should be mandatory. As part of the human race, there are certain expectations that should be required of all of us.

Again, I'm not arguing with you in concept.  I do tend toward the elegant solution as opposed to the stop-gap ones, but in my defense, history is littered with stop-gap solutions that were later subsumed by the unintended consequences of the solution.   Name a human catastrophe, and tell me honestly that you don't realize that almost every one STARTED with "here's a good idea" and was bolstered by the "this will be good for everyone, even if one or two individuals get their rights violated" and continued with "well, if they aren't going to willingly play along, we'll force them!"...

I want your outcome, I want to be careful how we get there.   

And don't misunderstand me:  I have a 14 year old daughter in private school, and will soon be a stepfather to a 16 year old and a 7 year old in public school.   I don't want to send them into a germ incubator any more than you do.  Philosophically, though, I think that while she is dead wrong, the Jenny McCarthy's of the world serve a purpose, that being to a) keep the rest of the world honest and on their toes, and b) to float ideas out there that then have to withstand the crucible of hard science.   It is sort of ironic, but I look at that "idea" process the same way as I look at the immunization process.  We introduce "bad things" so that the body can bolster it's defenses in a controlled environment so that when presented with that risk in a real situation, it can respond.   Jenny's ideas are the "bad things" and we as society have to keep our intellectual defenses sharp. 

I guess a couple of work around scenarios on this matter should be 1) Insurance companies should have the right to deny coverage for people who could otherwise get vaccinated. So if you refuse to have your child immunized for any other reason than a bonafide health condition that prevents it, then they have the right to not cover the child with insurance; and 2) allow a public school to require that parents keep their children out of school in the event of an outbreak of a contagious disease for which they refused vaccination, and not allow the children back into school until the threat has been deemed to have ended by public health authorities. This way, the parents must weigh their perceived risk of vaccinating their child against the risk of their child missing a significant amount of school days, and potentially being held back again and again.

I am 1000% in favor of all of those things.  I would add to that list:  1)  if you DO get a bonafide health exemption, there should be a notice provision for the rest of the school.   We protect the individual who has allergies by a notice system, why not the reverse.    2)  If applicable, I would advocate additional pre-screening of those that have not received the vaccinations.  I am not a doctor, and don't even play one on TV, but if there is any pre-screening available for the major diseases that are otherwise covered by vaccinations (mumps, measles, rubella, small pox) they should be mandatory for those that opt out (and paid for by those that opt out). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2015, 08:37:34 AM »

Bingo. Measles and other vaccines are not a personal choice issue, they are a public health issue. And because of the benefits of herd immunity, and because everyone should have their essential vaccines, and it benefits everyone it is a clear cut case of something that should be free to everyone. And I would be fully supportive of any action that would result in parents who do not have their children vaccinated being held accountable for endangerment and negligence.

I don't need to point out that "nothing is free".  It still has to be paid for, we would just spread the cost and add it to the tab.  Not saying this is bad or unreasonable, but let's at least have transparency.

On a lighter note, raise your hand if you a) never heard the term "herd immunity" before about a week ago and b) are already sick of it, especially in light of the irony of the term - "herd" - and which is probably lost on 98% of the people using it. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2015, 09:04:44 AM »
I first heard the term "herd-immunity" around 2006 and never have had a problem with it. It's a pretty precise description.

But, now that you point the potential negative connotation someone might get from the term I can't help but think that history is full of examples where the science community could have used a PR expert for assigning terms.

Who'd have ever thought there'd be so much confusion over the scientific concept of "theory".  :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2015, 10:16:08 AM »
I was familiar with the phrase "herd immunity" since sophmore year of hish school.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2015, 01:00:01 PM »
Can we just agree to name me the unquestioned ruler of Earth?  For most people (and probably everyone at DTF), I would have no ill effect on your lives because I wouldn't be invoking slave labor, and few if any of you would need re-Neducation.  Don't want to vaccinate your kids?  Get re-Neducated, or contribute to society by being a test subject for The Sun Cannon.  It's all good.

Offline Harmony

« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2015, 01:09:22 PM »
I was familiar with the phrase "herd immunity" since sophmore year of hish school.

Ditto.  And this is why uneducated parents home schooling their kids when they themselves are clueless about basic science is a bad idea.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2015, 01:19:39 PM »
Can we just agree to name me the unquestioned ruler of Earth?  For most people (and probably everyone at DTF), I would have no ill effect on your lives because I wouldn't be invoking slave labor, and few if any of you would need re-Neducation.  Don't want to vaccinate your kids?  Get re-Neducated, or contribute to society by being a test subject for The Sun Cannon.  It's all good.
Consider me as your Consigliere and you'll have my full support.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2015, 01:52:57 PM »
Regarding the question of "where do you draw the line between freedom of choice vs requirement", I think the line is whenever you put an undue burden on bystanders. Like, obviously nobody does, or should, give a shit whether you play country or J-pop to your children. However, when your actions endanger other people, that's where I draw the line.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2015, 02:00:21 PM »
Regarding the question of "where do you draw the line between freedom of choice vs requirement", I think the line is whenever you put an undue burden on bystanders. Like, obviously nobody does, or should, give a shit whether you play country or J-pop to your children. However, when your actions endanger other people, that's where I draw the line.

I'd agree with that....but then the question is 'how' do you do that? I don't think you can make a federal law mandating a 'choice' like that without getting a fairly large kick back from people who would argue your infringing on their rights.

But, I do think you can definately mandate it for schools at all level.....places of employment.....healthcare providers making it a must.....if it's infused into what we use everyday then it'd almost be like making it a 'federal' law....without having to deal with the fallout and headache of the whole infringment on our freedom argument.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2015, 02:59:10 PM »

Ah, my friends, if it was only that easy.  There are millions of people that believe just my ownership of a gun - even if it is never used, and never even taken out of a locked gun safe - "endangers" other people.  There are millions of people that believe my occasional enjoyment of a fine home-grown herb "endangers" other people.     There are millions of people that believe we are "endangering" others already by not allowing wire taps of suspected terrorists.   There are millions of people that believe we are "endangering" others already by allowing immigrants into our country illegally.   There are millions of people that believe we are "endangering" others already by allowing graphic pictures of people having sex be available for purchase.   

That we're on the right side of this issue - and we are - isn't the point. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »

Ditto.  And this is why uneducated parents home schooling their kids when they themselves are clueless about basic science is a bad idea.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/chris-sosa/homeschooling-setting-the_b_6638900.html

"Homeschooling" means "not schooled in the public school".    I know my girlfriend's daughter was "home-schooled" second half of last year (it was temporary) and it was essentially an on-line course, monitored by the school, with a curriculum sanctioned by the State, with mandatory periodic meetings with her guidance counselor.  As the article says, "homeschooling" is not mom sitting at the kitchen table lecturing her kid. 

Interesting point in that article:  there are more homeschooled kids in the United States today than there are homosexuals or vegans.   

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2015, 03:18:07 PM »
homeschooler representin'

Offline Harmony

« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2015, 04:16:45 PM »
Never mind.  Not worth it.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:36:43 PM by Harmony »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2015, 09:48:34 PM »

Bingo. Measles and other vaccines are not a personal choice issue, they are a public health issue. And because of the benefits of herd immunity, and because everyone should have their essential vaccines, and it benefits everyone it is a clear cut case of something that should be free to everyone. And I would be fully supportive of any action that would result in parents who do not have their children vaccinated being held accountable for endangerment and negligence.

I don't need to point out that "nothing is free".  It still has to be paid for, we would just spread the cost and add it to the tab.  Not saying this is bad or unreasonable, but let's at least have transparency.

You don't need to point it out, yet you still did. :p

Obviously it's not "free", and what I meant (and what I wrongly assumed was clear), was that the government should be in charge of making sure everyone gets their vaccines free of charge to the individual families.

Ah, my friends, if it was only that easy.  There are millions of people that believe just my ownership of a gun - even if it is never used, and never even taken out of a locked gun safe - "endangers" other people. 

Incorrect. There are many responsible gun owners in America. I do not believe that you specifically owning a gun will endanger us more. However the more we as a general populous increase the number of guns in circulation, the more endangered we all are as a whole. And that's where this situation differs from the one the thread is about. You owning a gun could result in us being more safe or (more likely) less safe, but in any case there are variables. If you don't get your measles vaccine, you lose, we lose, and somewhere Edward Jenner is spinning in his grave.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #87 on: February 11, 2015, 08:12:19 AM »

Ah, my friends, if it was only that easy.  There are millions of people that believe just my ownership of a gun - even if it is never used, and never even taken out of a locked gun safe - "endangers" other people. 

Incorrect. There are many responsible gun owners in America. I do not believe that you specifically owning a gun will endanger us more. However the more we as a general populous increase the number of guns in circulation, the more endangered we all are as a whole. And that's where this situation differs from the one the thread is about. You owning a gun could result in us being more safe or (more likely) less safe, but in any case there are variables. If you don't get your measles vaccine, you lose, we lose, and somewhere Edward Jenner is spinning in his grave.

Read what I said:  I didn't say YOU thought that way, I said there are millions who think that way.   Look, I live in CT; there is no doubt whatsoever that if Governor Malloy wanted to push a total gun ban, he would have had supporters.  But even having said that, your analysis serves to prove my point.  You've already assumed (wrongly, I might add, based on most statistics) that my ownership - SOLELY my ownership, not my usage, not my carrying, not my firing - would result in YOU being less safe.   

And that makes it directly relevant, because there is no difference because we are talking about a confluence of variables, none of which are controlling in and of themselves.   There ARE people - regardless of what we say or do about the anti-vaxxers - that will not have the measles vaccine.   So we can't base our premise on the singular idea that "force the anti-vaxxers to vax by any means necessary, and problem solved!!!"   What we're trying to do - and I believe we have to do it without actually DOING it - is reduce the numbers not vaccinated to manageable levels.    And now we are in a territory that is fraught with peril; any time you single out one group - especially because of their beliefs - you have to have your process right and your ducks in a row.   

And I know I am repeating myself, but I am NOT arguing for the anti-vaxxers; I am with you in concept 100% of the way.  There are some schools in California that have over 50% of students NOT vaccinated.   That can't happen unless we are willing to accept that measles is here and here to stay, and I don't see why we should accept that without a fight.  But like the environmental tort industry spawned the asbestos tort settlements, which were then used as the template for the tobacco tort settlements, which will very shortly be used as the template for the gun manufacturers tort claims, precedent matters and we HAVE to do it the right way.  We HAVE to.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: February 11, 2015, 08:13:03 AM »

Your ideas are most certainly "worth it". 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2015, 08:23:55 AM »

Indeed. I read that before you nuked it, and while I don't remember what you had to say I do remember that it was a useful contribution to the thread.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #90 on: February 11, 2015, 08:41:22 AM »
I'm really amazed that this has become a political platform issue. Not because republican politicians are taking an anti-government stance; that's to be expected. More because a lot of actual humans are adopting a similar posture. I'm puzzled where people would draw the line. Setting aside herd immunity and the risk to Dizneyland visitors, what of the actual risk to people's children. We've allowed numerous laws to outlaw things that pose a risk to children and nobody seems to have a problem with those. I mentioned incest, neglect and snake-handling earlier. Why is this any different? Each poses a risk of harm, and in two cases are extensions of family values. Since I really, really don't want this to turn into kiddy-diddling thread, let's role with snake handling here. I would consider religious freedom a more important defense than "greater good," yet the states where it's practice have banned the use of venomous snakes. Is it acceptable to pass a law that says kiddos can't wave rattlesnakes around in the air?

For that matter, what about car seats? Those things are expensive, and as I understand it have to be replaced a couple of times as kids have a tendency to grow. Why can every state (and probably Uncle Sammy, as well) insist that they're used, when we're only talking about a risk and no definite harm from non-use? It honestly seems to me that we're discussing the philosophical aspect of government intervention in child raising while ignoring a shit-ton of precedent which a lot of people consider reasonable exceptions to their stated positions.
E.F. Benson

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #91 on: February 11, 2015, 09:07:19 AM »
I just can't put myself in the mindset of people like Chris Christie, who, instead of saying "Listen, as a fellow Republican, I feel your dislike of government regulation. But please, for the love of God, vaccinate your children. It is the right thing to do, it is the safe thing to do". Instead, he essentially gambles people's lives for gain, and many others of his political leaning do too.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #92 on: February 11, 2015, 09:20:38 AM »
I think it is funny that the far right has politicized this topic, yet the anti-vax movement started with people who are far left leaning.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #93 on: February 11, 2015, 10:40:55 AM »
We've allowed numerous laws to outlaw things that pose a risk to children and nobody seems to have a problem with those. I mentioned incest, neglect and snake-handling earlier. Why is this any different?

Because America is filled with people who hear the phrase "question everything" and interpret it to mean "come up with the most  insane rebuttle/explanation to whatever topic is at hand". As long as Americans keep listening to people like Alex Jones (who has nearly a million youtube followers), Drudge, Dr. Group, and celebrities that couldn't spell the word 'science', this problem is never going to go away. So many people genuinely believe we are heading toward a 1984 scenario and mind control injections is one of the final pieces of the process. As soon as it is illegal to refuse the sheep shot, the government officially controls you and society at large. People don't trust the government. That's justified in certain regards, but to throwout decades of scientific research simply because you can't get yourself to support something the government supports is just foolish.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #94 on: February 11, 2015, 11:26:48 AM »
We've allowed numerous laws to outlaw things that pose a risk to children and nobody seems to have a problem with those. I mentioned incest, neglect and snake-handling earlier. Why is this any different?

Because America is filled with people who hear the phrase "question everything" and interpret it to mean "come up with the most  insane rebuttle/explanation to whatever topic is at hand". As long as Americans keep listening to people like Alex Jones (who has nearly a million youtube followers), Drudge, Dr. Group, and celebrities that couldn't spell the word 'science', this problem is never going to go away. So many people genuinely believe we are heading toward a 1984 scenario and mind control injections is one of the final pieces of the process. As soon as it is illegal to refuse the sheep shot, the government officially controls you and society at large. People don't trust the government. That's justified in certain regards, but to throwout decades of scientific research simply because you can't get yourself to support something the government supports is just foolish.
I'm not talking about whackjob Americans. I'm talking about reasonable and intelligent people here whose opinions I appreciate who are espousing the "let me raise my own kid" point of view. A perfectly valid POV when not taken to extremes.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #95 on: February 11, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »

Indeed. I read that before you nuked it, and while I don't remember what you had to say I do remember that it was a useful contribution to the thread.

Well thanks.  It had nothing to do with what I wrote being not being worth it.  I just don't really feel the need to engage with the 'arm-chair warrior' or 'right-fighter' types that are found so frequently on the internet.  That is what isn't worth it to me.  It never ends well and it feels sort of pointless.  I am secure enough in my own position not to feel the need to convince others they are wrong in the process.  Probably why my post count is so low.

Back to lurk mode.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #96 on: February 11, 2015, 01:16:12 PM »
I hear you, Harmony, and I salute you.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #97 on: February 11, 2015, 01:33:23 PM »
:iagree:

Calvin6s

« Reply #98 on: February 11, 2015, 01:49:32 PM »
I'm not talking about whackjob Americans. I'm talking about reasonable and intelligent people here whose opinions I appreciate who are espousing the "let me raise my own kid" point of view. A perfectly valid POV when not taken to extremes.

Who is doing that?

As far as I can tell, everybody here is pro-vax.  But we shouldn't just be knee-jerk in our reactions.  Other factors should be considered (such as international travel/relocation).

And as far as the "just make it a law", I think Stadler is just stating his fear of the "slippery slope".  And the slippery slope is not a roll the eyes concern.  If the law is not written very carefully, it can set precedents that are then upheld by the Supreme Court.  Kind of like "well, once we start to tax, we can make anything a tax."  It might not happen overnight.  It could be used in a court case 60 years from now.

If you just use the "greater good" theory, then that is a very slippery slope.

Simply making vax mandatory for passports, public schooling and other crucial life events is a good compromise.  And most of it is already in effect.  We just need some standardization in application and enforcement.

I have almost the polar opposite reaction to you.  I'm surprised people are willing to so easily resort to "just throw a law at it".

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: February 11, 2015, 01:54:41 PM »
Nah, you're all wrong. If your goal in discussing interesting issues is to "win" by convincing somebody that you're right and they're wrong then, yeah, it's probably best to not play. On the other hand plenty of us enjoy debates such as this for the intellectual exercise, and moreover we enjoy having our own beliefs challenged. I'm secure in my beliefs, as well, and when somebody prompts me to have to reevaluate them I find it damned refreshing.
E.F. Benson

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #100 on: February 11, 2015, 02:00:12 PM »
Simply making vax mandatory for passports, public schooling and other crucial life events is a good compromise.  And most of it is already in effect.  We just need some standardization in application and enforcement.

I have almost the polar opposite reaction to you.  I'm surprised people are willing to so easily resort to "just throw a law at it".
How is your compromise any different than "just throw a law at it?" It's targeted, which I support completely. It is still a law mandating vaccinations, just with different consequences.

And to be clear, I'm fine with suggestions such as yours. Find a strategy. What I'm not fine with is the "just butt out" approach. Moreover, as I keep saying, child protection is and has been for ages a very slippery slope. "Just throw a law at it" isn't a new one. It's just the continuing slide that we've been on, and it puzzles me how people decide where to draw, or not to draw, the line.
E.F. Benson

Offline Harmony

« Reply #101 on: February 11, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
Nah, you're all wrong. If your goal in discussing interesting issues is to "win" by convincing somebody that you're right and they're wrong then, yeah, it's probably best to not play. On the other hand plenty of us enjoy debates such as this for the intellectual exercise, and moreover we enjoy having our own beliefs challenged. I'm secure in my beliefs, as well, and when somebody prompts me to have to reevaluate them I find it damned refreshing.

And that's great.  No one is suggesting it isn't.  For you.  For me, not what I'm spending my time on.  I just don't care enough to get into heated discussions with total strangers on the internet, especially those who seem to need to "win" each and every point or those who seem to need the ego strokes that come with scoring points.  But hey, if that is what you enjoy.   :tup

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: February 11, 2015, 02:08:38 PM »
For the record. I was agreeing with Implode's salute to Harmony.

I definitely like my views/position challenged. In fact, I usually find that my thinking is flawed and have learned a lot by reading the views on this site...especially the P/R forum.

Calvin6s

« Reply #103 on: February 11, 2015, 02:22:02 PM »
What I'm not fine with is the "just butt out" approach.

But that was already happening.  The original posts seemed to be more about "somebody should just force these stupid people to stop being stupid   PERIOD."

Everybody is not at the same point in their life.  If you are younger, you really had nothing to do with your vaccinations.  They just happened (or they didn't).  I recall my mother sweating all the details of my entry into a new school due to a move at 1st grade.  Specifically, making sure all the documentation for vaccinations were in place.  She was very busy and so she had limited time to handle it, let alone think about all the implications from information floating around out there.  I was the first child, so it was her first go round (the hardest round).  By the second child, it was much easier.

And perhaps some on here have already gone through that as parents.  So it is done and in the rear view mirror with the Jenny McCarthy research dismissed.

And then there are those that heard all about the anti-vax debate, had their vax shots and didn't have children yet ... so they spent no serious time thinking about it.  And now they are in their first go round with their first child and trying to find the time to take in all the facts themselves.  The fear comes from hearing about the side effects of other medical products (see mental health thread here).

Even in this thread, somebody dismissed even thinking it as "what do they think.  Vax shot producers are conspiring to kill their children?"  No.  But based on other "Pharma* news, they have heard of suppressing information of side effects simply because it would shut down the sale of that product.

So when people just talk about "stupid people being stupid" it is kind of off-putting.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #104 on: February 11, 2015, 02:51:30 PM »
What I'm not fine with is the "just butt out" approach.

But that was already happening.  The original posts seemed to be more about "somebody should just force these stupid people to stop being stupid   PERIOD."
Perhaps, but it was never politicized until recently. Moreover, I'm surprised that the Republicans are actually willing to take this on. The anti-vac people have been around, but generally viewed as silly and dismissed. Now we have Congress taking up their cause. While I support people's right to be silly, it just seems odd that this is a place people have staked out to draw a line.
E.F. Benson