Author Topic: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - Post-Roulette: Puppies_On_Albums  (Read 51196 times)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - EP round hangman
« Reply #735 on: March 10, 2020, 03:12:26 PM »
haha, arms & sleepers and mum were both artists i considered for a very early draft of my EP when i was going more for atmosphere. that specific arms & sleepers song in particular  :lol

can't believe i'm going to be killed by alanis morissette. embarrassing.

I love your post count (22112).  You should just leave it there.  :neverusethis:
Sure thing!

wait crap

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #736 on: March 10, 2020, 03:26:25 PM »
Man... I hate to ruin that post count. 12121 is way cooler than 22112. Oh well.

I already know who's moving on. However, I am going to give these at least one more run through and jot down my final thoughts on that listen. So, yeah, expect sweet relief within 24 hours
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #737 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:02 PM »
TONIGHT TOMORROW I'M PASSING AWAAAAAYYYYY

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #738 on: March 10, 2020, 03:30:45 PM »
Man... I hate to ruin that post count. 12121 is way cooler than 22112. Oh well.

I already know who's moving on. However, I am going to give these at least one more run through and jot down my final thoughts on that listen. So, yeah, expect sweet relief within 24 hours

Katt:  The Imodium of DTF.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:29:24 PM by jingle.boy »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #739 on: March 10, 2020, 03:32:56 PM »
I am... IMODIUM
*joins the MCU*
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #740 on: March 10, 2020, 03:33:11 PM »
Didn't you send Pendulum in a past roulette? :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #741 on: March 10, 2020, 03:35:18 PM »
Didn't you send Pendulum in a past roulette? :lol

I did but I literally only know one song by them. Well... that's not entirely true. I have the album The Fountain is on, but that's like the standout track and really the only one I go back to. So it's nice to hear something else. I hear they're a strong drum n bass group and I need a lot more of that in my life (that's why The Fountain is such a great song to me, that upbeat chill but kinda happy vibe with those super awesome breakbeats is rad).

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #742 on: March 11, 2020, 07:39:05 AM »
haha, arms & sleepers and mum were both artists i considered for a very early draft of my EP when i was going more for atmosphere. that specific arms & sleepers song in particular  :lol
Seems I chose a good one then :metal

I just hope I don't lose to KISS and Deep Purple :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - semifinals results part 1
« Reply #743 on: March 11, 2020, 08:50:51 AM »
Here we go.

SEMIFINALS: CYRIL v JINGLE.BOY

A New Dawn
A Reverie of Rebirth

Download

0. SIAMÉS – B.I.T.M. (0:00 - 0:30)
1. Purity Ring - Begin Again (0:30 - 4:04)
2. SIAMÉS - The Wolf (4:04 - 7:09)
3. Daniel Olsén ft. Linnea Olsson – Mine (7:09 - 9:12)
4. Daniel Olsén ft. Linnea Olsson – Dead of Night (9:12 - 11:49)
5. SIAMÉS - As You Get High (11:49 - 16:19)
6. Daniel Olsén ft. Linnea Olsson – The World We Knew (16:19 - 19:22)
7. Amy Shark - Drive You Mad (19:22 - 22:50)
8. Daniel Olsén ft. Linnea Olsson - Inside (22:50 - 26:19)
9. Lorde - Perfect Places (26:19 - 30:00)

-------------------------------------

I've included some word documents in the file as well, I recommend reading in the following order:

1. Lyrics
2. Story
3. Commentary

Wow. First, I sincerely appreciate the effort you put into this, from picking out a cover artwork, title, writing a whole story, and offering commentary and a handy lyrics sheet. If you had made a physical booklet, you'd be on Evermind-level of excess.

This is a huge synthwave EP and I really enjoyed it from start to finish. It's a little daunting listening to one continuous 30 minute file instead of being able to break them into chunks but having the lyric document was a huge help in keeping my attention when I needed to read along with the story.

I really like the story and the tragedy of Renee. Did you come up with the name 'pyrelou'? I think you're a good writer and evidently skilled with the very short story format. The songs flowed into each other and matched each 'chapter' very well, I was impressed at how cohesive the entire EP is. The synth vibe is continuous and nothing is out of place, the moods match what you're going for in the story, and it all makes logical sense. The EP doesn't sound like a bunch of different artists; it all sounds like one big ensemble with each song complementing the one before it and after it.

Smooth beats, drippy synths, lovely singing, it's got it all. The music does a fantastic job of painting a picture that matches what Cyril writes about in the story. I can almost feel the glow of the neon lights and cold concrete of the city.

Considering I was looking for a theme, and you sent not only that but all the accoutrements, I am very impressed with this EP. Just about every song made my 'favorites' playlist and I'm curious about pretty much all these artists now (even if I have a mild anxiety that they're all going to sound like each other).

I urge people to read the story and check out what Cyril cooked up. Pretty impressive stuff.

jingle.boy: True North Strong and Free
Theme: "True North Strong and Free!!!"

1. Ian Thomas - Painted Ladies
2. The Tragically Hip - Ahead By A Century
3. The Tragically Hip - Scared
4. Gordon Lightfoot - If You Could Read My Mind
5. Gowan - A Criminal Mind
6. Alanis Morissette - Uninvited

Theme: Canadian music!

This is super stripped down compared to Cyril. I'm kind of surprised considering that monster 5-part epic playlist you sent me last time.

Ian Thomas was not on Spotify for me, so I had to YouTube it. It's okay, but it's definitely the weakest of the bunch here. Actually, it's funny, because this song kind of encapsulates the sound of the EP, but I love all the other songs. It's a chill, relaxed, stripped down sort of EP, seems to put more effort into striking an emotional cord than dazzling the sense with technical playing. I like that.

The Tragically Hip is a group I've heard a lot about over the years but never listened to - these are good songs. Ahead By A Century has a killer, memorable riff, dig that song a lot. Scared is good with a nice vocal melody. But what really got me was the Gordon Lightfoot song. That's exactly my kind of music. Love how it kind of swells and hints at building in the hook but it backs off at the last minute.

Gowan: I haven't looked up this artist at all, but I'm getting Phil Collins and Supertramp vibes from this. Really good stuff, but maybe a little too long? Really not sure, but it's oozing with this dirty 80s kind of mood - a kind of dirty I like. The Alanis Morissette is similar, with a dark piano riff that builds into a slow, Kashmir-esque doomy march. Not what I'd ever expect from someone like Alanis. Never heard of City of Angels either, but this is a nice heavy dirge.

Overall, you've showcased a lot of Canadian artists to me, Chad. This is a good EP. I dig almost everything on it.

I don't think it's a secret that Cyril won this round. The effort in creating a fluid EP with tracks that all gel together is obvious, but writing up a story that matches all the beats and fleshes them out thoroughly puts it over the top. Good playing, Chad, both of you sent great EPs, but Cyril's moving on to the finals. Congrats, dogboy. :)

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #744 on: March 11, 2020, 08:59:20 AM »
I followed the theme of the roulette - keeping it simple.  Cyril's additional effort in story and flow notwithstanding, I still would've probably lost on song quality.  Glad there were things here for you to enjoy nonetheless.

And with that, I join Tim in/on Roulette sabbatical.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #745 on: March 11, 2020, 09:01:22 AM »
I admire keeping it simple. I appreciate it, actually. Thanks for playing buddy.  :tup

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: March 11, 2020, 09:11:42 AM »
I admire keeping it simple. I appreciate it, actually. Thanks for playing buddy.  :tup

I had fun playing tunes I wouldn't normally use.  Glad some of them captured your interest.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #747 on: March 11, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »
Was I on the money with Gowan? Is there ANY connection to Supertramp there? For some reason I just can't shake that. Maybe it's me.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #748 on: March 11, 2020, 09:34:31 AM »
Congrats, Stadcul!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: March 11, 2020, 09:41:19 AM »
Was I on the money with Gowan? Is there ANY connection to Supertramp there? For some reason I just can't shake that. Maybe it's me.

Perhaps... I can hear the similarities in the keyboard vibe in some regards.  But other than that, I don't know that I'd ever heard/known Gowan ever specifically cite Supertramp as a source of inspiration.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #750 on: March 11, 2020, 09:54:30 AM »
oh and regarding the individual artists:
SIAMES have a bit of a rock edge in general, though it doesn't quite come through in these songs. their debut was pretty good, they're gonna drop another album this year but none of the singles they've released thus far have done a ton for me yet
Purity Ring is one of those artists I find the one song I really like from but haven't gotten too into anything else, but they're probably still pretty good. i dunno
Like I said in my commentary, all the Daniel Olsen songs are off a video game soundtrack (and a very good game/soundtrack) so I'd urge you to play the game itself :P
Amy Shark... don't bother, she decided at some point to be a boring singer/songwriter type artist and her entire first album went in that direction instead of the compelling pop sound of Drive You Mad. what a waste.
Lorde you already knew but seriously go listen to Melodrama, it's a fantastic pop album.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #751 on: March 11, 2020, 10:26:08 AM »
Melodrama is first on my list when this all wraps!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #752 on: March 11, 2020, 10:33:59 AM »

I don't know about Supertramp SPECIFICALLY, but Gowan is the lead singer now of Styx, and they are sort of in a similar genre (along with Kansas), of being prog without being as weird or specific as some of the more quintessential British prog like ELP or Crimson.  And while I can't say Phil Collins SPECIFICALLY, the backing band on that song includes Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta and David Rhodes, better known (unknown?) as the core of Peter Gabriel's touring band for a number of years.

Jingle:  the Gordon and Alanis songs would have scored high with me.  Both are great, and "Uninvited" may be my favorite Alanis song depending on the day.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #753 on: March 11, 2020, 10:37:10 AM »

I don't know about Supertramp SPECIFICALLY, but Gowan is the lead singer now of Styx, and they are sort of in a similar genre (along with Kansas), of being prog without being as weird or specific as some of the more quintessential British prog like ELP or Crimson.  And while I can't say Phil Collins SPECIFICALLY, the backing band on that song includes Tony Levin, Jerry Marotta and David Rhodes, better known (unknown?) as the core of Peter Gabriel's touring band for a number of years.

Stadler, this is a compliment just to be clear, but it cracks me up how encyclopedic your knowledge of classic rock is. Now I don't think my observation is that crazy. Definitely could feel some "links" there even if they're tenuous, that's cool.

Stadcul results this afternoon. My lunch is in a few minutes and I'm gonna nap because I am old.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #754 on: March 11, 2020, 10:41:24 AM »

Stadler, this is a compliment just to be clear, but it cracks me up how encyclopedic your knowledge of classic rock is. Now I don't think my observation is that crazy. Definitely could feel some "links" there even if they're tenuous, that's cool.

Stadcul results this afternoon. My lunch is in a few minutes and I'm gonna nap because I am old.

My kid likes to joke that I spent my youth playing Dungeons and Dragons (pro-tip to the new or future dads:  if your kid asks you in passing if you've ever done some embarrassing thing, recognize you will likely hear about it for the rest of your life.  I played D&D exactly twice, maybe three times EVER, and yet...) but in reality it was reading album covers and what not.

Naps are for kings.   I love them, and always have. 
« Last Edit: March 11, 2020, 02:40:38 PM by Stadler »

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: March 11, 2020, 10:47:38 AM »
She probably saw the covers to your Blackmore's Night records and is still convinced you have a notebook with stat gains and adventure logs in it.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #756 on: March 11, 2020, 12:14:14 PM »
honestly not sure if i'm even going to have a chance to start working on an album until the weekend. i might cop out and just straight-up send you an actual album? i dunno. i put all my energy into making the EP and i have absolutely no plan for the last round  :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #757 on: March 11, 2020, 12:15:07 PM »
I mean I said in the rules that's an actual strategy you can do as long as it fits the time limit so go for it if you want :lol

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Kattelox's 3.5 KISS Tournament Roulette - EP round results! FINAL ROUND!
« Reply #758 on: March 11, 2020, 01:01:18 PM »
AND WE'RE ON TO THE FINALS!! Thanks so much for playing, guys. I liked everything in the EP rounds... just about.  :biggrin:

Sacul: from bleep to blop
"No fancy theme, just 6 very nice tracks that I hope are nicer than Stadler's :P"

1. Massive Attack - Risingson
2. Portishead - Roads
3. The Black Queen - The End Where We Start
4. Arms and Sleepers - Twentynine Palms
5. múm - Green Green Grass of Tunnel
6. Boards of Canada - Dayvan Cowboy

The theme of this is clearly "Sacul music." I like this. It's mostly chill beats, groovy bass lines, ghostly synths. It's a bit drippy - that's a good thing.

I feel like I've heard the Massive Attack song before, but maybe that's because I've seen you send it in roulettes and I might have YouTubed it. I can't remember. This and the Portishead have some cracking head-bopping beats. I'm not too crazy about the vocals for either but they complement the music behind it perfectly so I'm not fussed, there's just something odd about the voice in Portishead to me.

The Black Queen's "The End Where We Start" is the highlight of the EP. It's fantastic, the vibe and choice of synths and melodies is a home run. A real winner. However, it's immediately followed by my least favorite song on the EP, "Twentynine Palms." It's not a bad song, but it takes half the track's length to get going - and I can dig that, but the last 90 seconds is the part that really gets my attention. Up to then it's a bit more minimal than I enjoy.

"Green Green Grass of Tunnel" is a nice cheerful piece but it's similar to "Twentynine Palms" in that I think it takes too long for me to enjoy the whole thing a lot. "Dayvan Cowboy" however ends the EP in a way similar to Massive Attack and Portishead, with a nice chill beat and some watery music flowing above it. Pretty good EP overall, it's a lovely little half hour of mellow music, and I definitely want to look into The Black Queen if they have more like that.

Stadler's Reminiscence EP (my title, not his)
1. Power Glove - Dr. Elizabeth Darling
2. Deep Purple - Flight of the Rat
3. Power Glove - Blood Scope
4. Twisted Sister - Shoot 'Em Down
5. Power Glove - HELO-73
6. Billy Joel - Vienna
7. Power Glove - Rex's Escape
8. KISS - Hard Luck Woman
9. Paul Stanley - Goodbye

I tried to work this on a couple levels.  It's a vinyl EP, which means:

- these are songs that I listened to a lot on vinyl;
- these are songs that take me back to if not my childhood (though some do) to at least my youth;
- these are songs that I think sound really good on vinyl (or at least I remember them sounding really good on vinyl)

Stadler sending synthwave is quite possibly the most surprising thing I've seen in any of my rouletes. Not a good or bad thing, just surprising. Shocking, even. By the way, you suck. When I first heard that Twisted Sister riff, I wasn't looking at the tracklist, and thought, "He sent me Judas Priest AGAIN?" Thank god I was wrong.

Okay, so let's look at the meat of the EP: Deep Purple, Twisted Sister, Billy Joel, KISS, Paul Stanley. I've never cared about looking into Deep Purple because I'm always wary of that proto-metal/rock stuff that sounds like it wants to be heavy but isn't. That said, this song is really cool. It somehow stays interesting and fun the whole way through, with killer solos to boot. Not sure if a fluke, but "Flight of the Rat" rocks.

"Shoot 'Em Down" - like I said, sounds like a Judas Priest riff with Twisted Sister vocals. Not bad, though. Actually, pretty solid "rock and roll" song, y'know? I could play this loud as hell on the work radio and it would fit like a glove in the playlist.

"Vienna" - I'm banning Joel from all future roulettes, because everything I hear by him, I fall in love with. This is wonderful. The accordion bit is painfully short, it is such a good dressing on an already fabulous song.

"Hard Luck Woman" does not sound like any KISS that I can think of. And that's a good thing. I don't know if I know who this singer is, but I like his voice, and the melody he's singing has been stuck in my head from the first go. Honestly, I think I like this more than any of KISS's hits. That corny-ass "ROCK AND ROLL, MAN!" stuff does nothing for me, but this, this is delightful. I'll be honest, the Paul Stanley track is kind of whatever - this the guy who sings on all the big schlocky KISS hits? Eh.

The transitions - absolutely wonderful. Synthwave weaving in and out of classic rock shouldn't work on paper, but fuck me, dude, this is brilliant, the tracks are simple and groovy and repetitive like video game-y synthwave - appropriate as it comes from the Far Cry Blood Dragon soundtrack. I'm impressed at how good they are for being essentially transition/interludes. They're super catchy.

The flow of this EP is awesome and it intertwines things that not only YOU like but also things that *I* really like, and the creativity and boldness is admirable.

Winner...

STADLER!!

I'd post a bracket but I gotta go do some actual work so yeah.

Sacul, buddy, you are consistently consistent and always send stuff I dig. But the synthwave force was strong with Stadler. Or whatever, make your own Star Wars analogy that's better  :lol

STADLER v. CYRIL IN THE FINAL ROUND WOOP

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #759 on: March 11, 2020, 01:02:18 PM »
i gotta say this is possibly the funniest final two possible

Online romdrums

« Reply #760 on: March 11, 2020, 01:26:22 PM »

Agreed.  I'm very interested in how this turns out.   :corn
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Also, I saw Powerglove (different band) open for Sonata Arctica in 2010 and they played video game covers in speed/power metal form. I had to really double check to make sure I was listening to a different group for Stad's EP. At first I was like, oh shit, they went synthwave? Can I get a Zelda cover?  :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
What's the timing?  Did you say we had the weekend?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
What's the timing?  Did you say we had the weekend?

Yeah, take your time, Cyril said he probably needs the weekend too. Even if it takes a little bit after that, no biggie. It's just you two now.  :corn

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #764 on: March 11, 2020, 03:40:41 PM »

img share upload
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
ouch my ears

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Stadler's either poorly smuggled a baby giraffe in his tight leather pants or he needs to see a doctor.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
That's what happens when you're yelling at the youth about your lawn.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
that settles it. i'm gonna make a lawn-themed album

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Amazing.