Author Topic: Fallout  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
Fallout
« on: April 10, 2024, 08:52:02 PM »
Anyone else watching this? Season 1 just dropped on Amazon Prime.

Just finished the first episode. Loving it so far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: Fallout
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2024, 08:01:23 AM »
I didn't realize this had already dropped.

I don't know shit about the video game, but the trailer looked batshit crazy.  I will try to get on this soon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2024, 08:44:51 AM »
It's on my to watch list
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2024, 09:19:17 AM »
Planning to watch for sure. Looked like something right up my alley. I have zero frame of reference as well....have never played the game and no nothing about any of it.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 09:48:38 AM »
Big fan of the games, so I will be watching, likely starting tonight.  I read some positive reviews too which has me a bit hyped now instead of cautious optimism.  The show's world leaves room for a really cool adaptation. 

My understanding is the show is not following the story from one of the games, but it's own story within the world of the game.  Which I think is probably for the best to not get all the game people upset about not following the story, but if they can stay true to the world created, and have a good story to tell of their own, the potential is there to be a good show. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 09:52:30 AM »
Planning to watch for sure. Looked like something right up my alley. I have zero frame of reference as well....have never played the game and no nothing about any of it.
Don't take this personally, but I hope you don't like it. They're building it within a game universe that I really want to see. If they've made the story generic enough that people with no familiarity with it can enjoy I think it'll be far less to my liking, if that makes sense.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 09:57:12 AM »
Don't take this personally, but I hope you don't like it. They're building it within a game universe that I really want to see. If they've made the story generic enough that people with no familiarity with it can enjoy I think it'll be far less to my liking, if that makes sense.

I think I would disagree with that statement.  If the game only catered to the video game folks, it likely would be terrible.

The only upside to having played the games should be a more instant understanding of the world, nothing else IMO since it's having it's own story unlike The Last of Us which followed the game's story. Maybe some inside jokes or references as well, but story line wise, it should be made for anyone to "get it" because that's likely how it will be good IMO. 

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2024, 10:02:33 AM »

Completely makes sense.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2024, 10:54:11 AM »
I think I would disagree with that statement.  If the game only catered to the video game folks, it likely would be terrible.

The only upside to having played the games should be a more instant understanding of the world, nothing else IMO since it's having it's own story unlike The Last of Us which followed the game's story. Maybe some inside jokes or references as well, but story line wise, it should be made for anyone to "get it" because that's likely how it will be good IMO.
That's certainly fair. I just want it to be Fallout, and not a generic made for TV drama/thriller set in the Fallout universe.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2024, 01:08:51 PM »
Big fan of all the games starting with Fallout 3. Haven’t played the old isometric ones but will probably do so one day.

Can’t wait to dive in but finishing S3 of The Boys first.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2024, 01:22:46 PM »
That's certainly fair. I just want it to be Fallout, and not a generic made for TV drama/thriller set in the Fallout universe.
While I agree, I don't think that has any bearing on whether non-gamers should like it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2024, 01:27:00 PM »
Well it seems to be getting great reviews
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2024, 03:26:51 PM »
I'm only half an episode in but greatly enjoying it so far!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2024, 07:30:00 AM »
Watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed it. Definitely some humor in there. Loved the ghoul, that actor is awesome in Righteous Gemstones and this role may be great from him based on what I've seen so far. Won't be able tk continue until Sunday.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2024, 07:49:45 AM »
I'll be sure to check it out this weekend, I haven't played the video game though so I'm going in blind.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2024, 07:58:26 AM »
Watched the first two episodes last night and enjoyed it. Definitely some humor in there. Loved the ghoul, that actor is awesome in Righteous Gemstones and this role may be great from him based on what I've seen so far.

Walt Goggins, dude is good in everything he does. He's a blast to watch.

I watched the first two as well.....pretty neat stuff. I'm curious to get EB's or anyone who has played the game though because I felt like I followed along pretty well. Did they sacrifice any of the game integrity or story in order to tell a more straight forward story?

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2024, 08:02:32 AM »
Well the show is an original story set in the Fallout world. It's got places, groups, ideas and whatnot from the games, but it's not a direct adaptation of one of the games. Having played Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas, I think it definitely nails the vibe of the world.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2024, 08:34:33 AM »
Well the show is an original story set in the Fallout world. It's got places, groups, ideas and whatnot from the games, but it's not a direct adaptation of one of the games. Having played Fallout 3, 4, and New Vegas, I think it definitely nails the vibe of the world.

Is "okey dokey" that girls tag line in the game? She said it several times and they made a point to make it stand out

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2024, 08:37:30 AM »
No, and she's not from the games. She's an original character for the show.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2024, 08:39:16 AM »
Is "okey dokey" that girls tag line in the game? She said it several times and they made a point to make it stand out
"That girl" isn't in the game. She's a made up character (like the player character in each of the games--they're each different).

Also, I saw the 3 main actors in a YT vid last night, and it turns out she's a limey. Didn't expect that.
E.F. Benson

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2024, 08:02:27 PM »
Just finished the season. Absolutely loved it.  :metal

That teaser at the end has me super excited for Season 2.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2024, 08:22:11 PM »
Interested because of the Fallout set that got released in Magic the Gathering. I built a deck around The Master, Transcendent and would be interested to see what the lore is about (I don't play video games).

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2024, 08:47:44 AM »

Havent finished, but it does seem like it's getting a second season from recent headlines I've seen.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2024, 02:30:52 PM »
Loving so far after two episodes. 2nd ep in particular really nailed the Fallout vibe and humour.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2024, 03:01:43 AM »
I'm so happy the show is getting good reviews but mostly that they've stayed true to the game with all it's details. Can't wait to watch it!  :tup
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2024, 06:52:46 AM »
2 episodes in and liking it! Seems like a show made for the fans of the game.

Offline gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2024, 09:19:49 AM »

Finished it last night. I enjoyed it a lot. Really well produced, storyline kept moving along and they added some elements to keep you engaged...and there was a good balance between being a gritty, apocalyptic show yet lots of well timed humor as well. It didn't sacrifice anything by not taking itself too seriously.

As far as making it accessible for the 'non' game viewers who had no idea what the backstory was.....I think they nailed it.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2024, 08:25:14 AM »
I knew there was a reason I'd never sided with the Brotherhood before. At first they were just misguided dipshits. Now they might as well be the Branch Davidians.

First episode was good enough. Like Lucy. Hard not to like Goggins. Fuck the Brotherhood.

The connected vaults would be a totally new mechanic, would they not? And since they are connected, wouldn't they actually know each other better than to be duped by raiders?
E.F. Benson

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2024, 08:28:15 AM »
I really liked the show. Funny, suprisingly high production quality and definitely advances the lore of the Fallout universe in an interesting way.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2024, 08:45:18 AM »
The connected vaults would be a totally new mechanic, would they not? And since they are connected, wouldn't they actually know each other better than to be duped by raiders?

I wasn't aware of connected Vaults, but I can kind of see it being a thing in the world though. 

Personally, I'm finding the vault storyline to be the most interesting right now.  I just find the whole vault thing fascinating.  We are 4 episodes in now, and I just love how they are portraying the vault people as they act super nice and good intentions, but still have the whole human asshole ness of it all.  I'm still trying to understand (Maybe i need to watch more) how these vaults operated together because it kind of seems like they really didn't, which makes you wonder why even connect them then?

Also, the finger cutting  :omg:! I really thought episode 4 was great, the whole drug building really felt like something out of the game.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2024, 04:54:00 AM »
There's mystery around the connected vaults, I've seen 5 episodes so far and I'm interested to see where it's going. I do rather like the way Nolan and Joy build mystery and tension and reveal things. Westworld did admittedly get a bit too complicated in the end but I loved the approach and very much enjoyed it.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2024, 07:08:50 AM »
Three episodes in and I'm really liking it so far. Lots of little references to the games. But we need at least one supermutant and one radscorpion in the next episodes.

Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2024, 08:30:45 AM »
There's mystery around the connected vaults, I've seen 5 episodes so far and I'm interested to see where it's going. I do rather like the way Nolan and Joy build mystery and tension and reveal things. Westworld did admittedly get a bit too complicated in the end but I loved the approach and very much enjoyed it.

Yeah, now 6 episodes in and this storyline is starting to unfold more. 

Still really loving the vault storyline.

Should finish it tonight.  I'm not sure I'd rate this as some great show at this point, but it's solid and it seems to do a good job at nailing the fallout universe from the games. I'm struggling with some of the actors, the girl and the brotherhood guy, the scenes with the two of them are.... difficult.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2024, 08:37:15 AM »
Should finish it tonight.  I'm not sure I'd rate this as some great show at this point, but it's solid and it seems to do a good job at nailing the fallout universe from the games. I'm struggling with some of the actors, the girl and the brotherhood guy, the scenes with the two of them are.... difficult.
I've only seen the first episode, so all I've seen of the girl is her being chipper and naive. I like her in that capacity. Could certainly change once things really turn South on her, though. As for the Brotherhood guy, I disliked him from the get-go.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2024, 08:43:37 AM »
I've only seen the first episode, so all I've seen of the girl is her being chipper and naive. I like her in that capacity. Could certainly change once things really turn South on her, though. As for the Brotherhood guy, I disliked him from the get-go.

Chipper and naive doesn't bother me because that makes sense from living in the vault, it's something about the actresses portrayal of it.