Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111767 times)

Offline HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; US Tour Begins This Weekend!
« Reply #1540 on: March 03, 2024, 09:12:00 PM »
Daily Doug was at the first night in NJ and he got to interview some of the band before the show. Supposed to be up this week.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1541 on: March 03, 2024, 09:36:06 PM »
Daily Doug was at the first night in NJ and he got to interview some of the band before the show. Supposed to be up this week.

Oh nice! Can't wait to check that out! I wonder if he tried to make it to the 2nd show. Hopefully he's not kicking himself for not making both after seeing the setlist.  :lol

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline HOF

« Reply #1542 on: March 04, 2024, 07:04:23 AM »

Oh nice! Can't wait to check that out! I wonder if he tried to make it to the 2nd show. Hopefully he's not kicking himself for not making both after seeing the setlist.  :lol

-Marc.

He went to Haken instead last night actually.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1543 on: March 04, 2024, 06:32:14 PM »
Album keeps getting better and better after each listen. But I do miss Dave's voice a lot. He was my favorite "instrument" in this band. Love(d) his voice.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1544 on: March 04, 2024, 07:21:55 PM »
Album keeps getting better and better after each listen. But I do miss Dave's voice a lot. He was my favorite "instrument" in this band. Love(d) his voice.

I've felt similar feelings over the past month and a half as I revisited the entire BBT catalog leading up to the release date of TLOU. It'll be hard to move on from Longdon's voice considering he was the voice of the band for about a dozen years, and helped produce more than half of their current discography. What an incredible impact he made upon the band, and its fans, for an awe-inspiring stretch of time.

But I think, in maybe 5 or 6 years, once the current line-up (or least any line-up with Alberto singing) puts out more and more music, we will come to accept the band as they are now, as they drive further along this track with Bravin and co., making their own way and their own sounds. BBT as a whole never seems content to stay in a single place musically for too long. Just look at the last three albums with Longdon - they're all similar but I'd say each one has unique influences and sounds throughout once you get to know those albums, and even comparing those three with the Folklore/Grimspound/TSBS trio, they're QUITE different.

Given how positvely received the new album is, I think we're in for another good run of albums from this line-up, and Bravin seems to be coming to the band with some great ideas both musically and lyrically. Yes, I am still saddened by the loss of David, but I am equally excited to see where the band heads next through the rest of the 2020s.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #1545 on: March 04, 2024, 07:36:28 PM »
Very similar sentiments Letter M.

By the way, I keep seeing pictures of Alberto and he reminds me and possibly looks a lot like Ihsan from Emperor lol

Offline HOF

« Reply #1546 on: March 04, 2024, 07:40:42 PM »
I will say, when I first got into BBT, it was with Sean Filkins songs. Certainly I hold David in the highest esteem as a singer and musician. But while he was the voice of BBT for the longest period and the main driver of the band’s ascent, he’s not the only voice of BBT. I love the material with both Martin Read and Filkins. So in a way it doesn’t feel totally unnatural to me for Alberto to be singing with the band. But I also think he does a remarkable job of having same general melodic approach as David while being his own voice as well. Circumstances being what they are, I am thrilled that they found Alberto and I think he will take the band to new and exciting places. I remarked on Facebook how amazing it is that he stepped into David’s shoes and rattled off a pair of instant BBT classics in Miramare and Love is the Light. We are so fortunate to have him.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: March 05, 2024, 12:33:58 AM »
Maybe it's because it was released way in advance, so therefore I have listened to it the most times, but Last Eleven is currently my favourite track here. Others are Love Is The Light (I had that chorus in my head for a long time this weekend), and Oblivion. The two epics needs more listens though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nick_z

« Reply #1548 on: March 05, 2024, 05:26:36 AM »
Very similar sentiments Letter M.

By the way, I keep seeing pictures of Alberto and he reminds me and possibly looks a lot like Ihsan from Emperor lol

So true! :lol With maybe some Dave Grohl mixed in ;)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1549 on: March 05, 2024, 06:37:57 AM »
Just get a picture with Splent sometime and say you met Alberto.

Offline The Letter M

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1551 on: March 05, 2024, 09:12:32 PM »
What a show tonight. I had front row left stage corner. Still able to see all musicians. Such dimension.   
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

Saw on Facebook that they brought out the rest of the brass band for the encore tonight.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Sure did. Longest show on the tour.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
Nice setlist, but odd that they're not playing more from the new album. I guess coz it's their first time in the US they want to treat fans to more of a "Best of" setlist.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Nice setlist, but odd that they're not playing more from the new album. I guess coz it's their first time in the US they want to treat fans to more of a "Best of" setlist.

That's exactly it. Greg said in a couple of recent interviews that they will be playing more of a "best of" set due to it being their first ever US tour.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Finally pulled an RJ and got in a band picture.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
Anyone else managed to pick out any musical reprises in the album yet?

Offline HOF

There are tons of them for sure. There are references to both Beneath the Masts (the little piano theme at the end of the first section of Beneath the Masts is the main keyboad theme here) and Mirimare in Light Left in the Day, and probably others since that one was intentionally a bit of an overture. The first section of Beneath the Masts is the theme from Last Eleven. Not a musical reprise, but I like the reference to "we got our skates on" in Bookmarks. Also several mentions of "light left in the day" throughout.

Offline Kram

There are tons of them for sure. There are references to both Beneath the Masts (the little piano theme at the end of the first section of Beneath the Masts is the main keyboad theme here) and Mirimare in Light Left in the Day, and probably others since that one was intentionally a bit of an overture. The first section of Beneath the Masts is the theme from Last Eleven. Not a musical reprise, but I like the reference to "we got our skates on" in Bookmarks. Also several mentions of "light left in the day" throughout.
Yes, there's a lot for sure.  I haven't commented on the album yet, as I'm still digesting it, but I can safely say I LOVE it!  I will not try to "rank it", or compare it in anyway to the David Longdon albums, but just on it's own merit, this is an incredible album and a great vocal performance by Alberto. 

I'm definitely envious of you guys who have gotten to see them live.  I just hope they come back to the US and hit the west coast someday soon!

Offline HOF

So the band have specifically requested no filming during tonight’s show. They hadn’t done that for the prior shows. I wonder if that suggests they will be filming it professionally tonight?

It still looks like they are hardly any tickets sold, so hopefully some more people turn up at show time.

Offline The Letter M

So the band have specifically requested no filming during tonight’s show. They hadn’t done that for the prior shows. I wonder if that suggests they will be filming it professionally tonight?

It still looks like they are hardly any tickets sold, so hopefully some more people turn up at show time.

I saw that earlier today, and it did make me think they might record some of it as well. Given the apparent attendance, I doubt it'll be for any big official release, especially through Inside Out, but they might put some videos up on YouTube or the Passenger's Club. I think if we get a full live album CD/BD set like the last few (Empire, Summer Shall Not Fade, etc), it'll probably be a European/UK show, with more songs from TLOU in the set and less of the "greatest hits" and fan favorites they've been playing since 2022, though I hope they keep some of the Common Ground/Welcome To The Planet songs in the set when they get to that point later this year! It would be nice to get "Atlantic Cable" and "Apollo" on a concert video!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

I believe they filmed one of the shows last year (the one in Holland I think) and they've mentioned they have a planned concert release for later this year, so I assume that's it. But maybe they'll include some footage from this show or the cruise as bonus content or something.

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/LmtT5IMosMY?si=qAjkIeaSIGZ4Pylt

Doug Helvering (aka The Daily Doug) conducted a short interview with Nick, Greg, and Alberto before their first show in NJ last weekend! He also listens to "Love Is The Light" at the end of the video as well.

-Marc.

Offline HOF

Watched this earlier. Cool to hear Doug say BBT have become his favorite band. Doug knows music!

Offline HOF

Today is the 20th anniversary of the release of Gathering Speed. Greg left a comment on Facebook that said "I am very fond of this album, it set us on course. I hope we’ll play a song or two from it at some stage." I think Alberto's voice would really suit the Sean Filkins songs well.

Offline HOF

So for anyone still looking to collect physical copies of the back catalog, the band had some new copies of Folklore, and English Electric pt. 1 and pt. 2 pressed to sell on the US tour and CTTE. Extra copies are now for sail at Bandwagon and Burning Shed.

I ordered the English Electric albums since I never got those individually.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
are big big train doing a close to the edge album tour? i can't think of what else CTTE means haha. it'd be cool to see them take on a Yes classic
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline HOF

are big big train doing a close to the edge album tour? i can't think of what else CTTE means haha. it'd be cool to see them take on a Yes classic

CTTE = Cruise to the Edge (a prog cruise started by Yes of course). They just finished a brief US tour followed by an appearance on the cruise.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
oh wow i am so dumb lmao, literally just watched a video of MP and JR in that cruise too, thanks for clarifying and that makes a lot more sense
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!
« Reply #1570 on: March 16, 2024, 12:40:43 AM »
Today is the 20th anniversary of the release of Gathering Speed. Greg left a comment on Facebook that said "I am very fond of this album, it set us on course. I hope we’ll play a song or two from it at some stage." I think Alberto's voice would really suit the Sean Filkins songs well.

The earliest album I've heard is The Difference Machine. I should check out Gathering Speed some day.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1571 on: March 16, 2024, 08:36:21 AM »

The earliest album I've heard is The Difference Machine. I should check out Gathering Speed some day.

You should! It’s under an hour, so not a long listen.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1572 on: March 16, 2024, 08:42:38 AM »
So the band are doing a “re-recording workshop” at Sweetwater this weekend. Alberto posted this on FB/Instagram:

“Last couple of days at @sweetwaterstudios recording something special! 😎
This place is incredible.
It has everything you can dream of and more.
And with @shawndealey everything sounds awesome.”

Wonder if they might be recording some earlier material for release, or something new.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1573 on: March 21, 2024, 02:45:13 PM »
According to a Burning Shed email, CD copies of both English Electric albums are in stock, as is Folklore (previously mentioned in this thread), as well as Grimspound.

They also seem to have CD copies of the Swan Hunter and Merry Christmas singles, 2019's Grand Tour, and the 2020 remix and remaster of The Underfall Yard. So pretty much most of their 2009-2019 catalog is still available on CD (notable exceptions being The Second Brightest Star and much of their live releases).

This is great news for newer fans who have only boarded the BBT fandom in recent years! Grab them while you can!

-Marc.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1574 on: March 21, 2024, 03:18:54 PM »
According to a Burning Shed email, CD copies of both English Electric albums are in stock, as is Folklore (previously mentioned in this thread), as well as Grimspound.

They also seem to have CD copies of the Swan Hunter and Merry Christmas singles, 2019's Grand Tour, and the 2020 remix and remaster of The Underfall Yard. So pretty much most of their 2009-2019 catalog is still available on CD (notable exceptions being The Second Brightest Star and much of their live releases).

This is great news for newer fans who have only boarded the BBT fandom in recent years! Grab them while you can!

-Marc.

These all appear to be available at Bandwagon USA too. I just received my copies of the English Electric albums yesterday actually. Really glad I did, because they have some of the best artwork the band has had on an album I think.