Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111813 times)

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Big Train v. Ingenious Devices out now! Band sign to InsideOut! 7/31/23
« Reply #1400 on: October 09, 2023, 07:53:30 AM »
Newsletter from the BBT camp.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/big-big-train-newsletter-9th-october-2023/

Some highlights:

"Since our return from The Journey Continues tour, we’ve been putting the finishing touches to our next studio album. This will be our first release via InsideOut/Sony and we expect to be able to announce all the details (album and song titles, release date, formats etc) some time before Christmas."

"The Toward Infinity team, led by Tim Sidwell, filmed both of our shows at Cadogan Hall in London on 12th and 13th September for a future Blu-ray release. Given the sheer amount of material that we played across the two nights, there’s a mammoth editing task ahead. Currently we aim to release the Blu-ray before the end of 2024."
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online HOF

« Reply #1401 on: October 09, 2023, 08:26:43 AM »
Newsletter from the BBT camp.

https://www.bigbigtrain.com/big-big-train-newsletter-9th-october-2023/

Some highlights:

"Since our return from The Journey Continues tour, we’ve been putting the finishing touches to our next studio album. This will be our first release via InsideOut/Sony and we expect to be able to announce all the details (album and song titles, release date, formats etc) some time before Christmas."

"The Toward Infinity team, led by Tim Sidwell, filmed both of our shows at Cadogan Hall in London on 12th and 13th September for a future Blu-ray release. Given the sheer amount of material that we played across the two nights, there’s a mammoth editing task ahead. Currently we aim to release the Blu-ray before the end of 2024."

Also, Greg answers a question on FB about the Bard reissue, and he said they haven’t quite figured out when to slot it but still expect to release it by the end of 2024.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1402 on: October 09, 2023, 12:01:01 PM »
US tour announcement when :( ?
Photobucket sucks.

Online HOF

« Reply #1403 on: October 09, 2023, 12:18:45 PM »
US tour announcement when :( ?

Guessing maybe the same time as they announce the album release date.

Online HOF

« Reply #1404 on: October 28, 2023, 12:45:00 PM »
On the topic of BBT US tour dates, we already knew they were working on these, but NDV was interviewed by The Daily Doug this week and confirmed that they are working out US dates to coincide with coming over for Cruise to the Edge, so I'd expect these in Feb/March/April of next year.

So who else has picked up the re-issue of David Longdon's Wild River? Got my CD this week, and it's really good. Very cool to hear a young Longdon vocally again (this was originally released in 2004, 5 years before he joined BBT, but recorded over a period of years). More folk pop than prog, but several tracks would sit well along side some of the folkier moments on English Electric. We also get some of the trademark DL layered vocal passages similar to Evening Star. Mostly just well written and crafted songs that most BBT fans should enjoy. Really lovely album.

Online HOF

« Reply #1405 on: November 10, 2023, 07:12:02 AM »
So this is fun. A new statue honoring Winkie the pigeon was unveiled yesterday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cyx230574x7o?fbclid=IwAR1KaozBuXJlXXW4bJnJhwhQNupkULL8QweDxq4_66WtggVoqPt2wOcyetk

And BBT got some airplay on BBC as a result! They play snippets of the song at about 50 minutes and again at 1:49 in this link (though one host was somewhat incredulous, the other seemed to really enjoy it).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001s4lq?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile&fbclid=IwAR0wbz12KbyhSMYG6Ux5qHgIHCL_sc1xB_9jtNqQuIohVbI-yKlJAvD2vUc

Offline Harmony

« Reply #1407 on: November 11, 2023, 10:20:41 AM »
So this is fun. A new statue honoring Winkie the pigeon was unveiled yesterday.

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cyx230574x7o?fbclid=IwAR1KaozBuXJlXXW4bJnJhwhQNupkULL8QweDxq4_66WtggVoqPt2wOcyetk

And BBT got some airplay on BBC as a result! They play snippets of the song at about 50 minutes and again at 1:49 in this link (though one host was somewhat incredulous, the other seemed to really enjoy it).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m001s4lq?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile&fbclid=IwAR0wbz12KbyhSMYG6Ux5qHgIHCL_sc1xB_9jtNqQuIohVbI-yKlJAvD2vUc

I love this!  Winkie never gets any love it seems from many BBT fans and I really really love the track and the story.  Their winged saviour.... :heart
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Online HOF

« Reply #1408 on: November 11, 2023, 10:56:45 AM »
It’s grown on me a lot over the years, I think mainly because the performance on Empire was just so good. Definitely a favorite of mine now.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1409 on: December 05, 2023, 08:55:30 AM »
According to Kingmaker Management, there will be some big big news later this week!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #1410 on: December 05, 2023, 09:06:24 AM »
According to Kingmaker Management, there will be some big big news later this week!

-Marc.

Nice! I’ve been wondering if they would announce it this month or wait until the first of the year to get past Christmas. Either way it seemed like an announcement needed to be made soon if this thing is coming out before Cruise to the Edge.

Offline DTA

« Reply #1411 on: December 05, 2023, 04:41:05 PM »

-Marc.

Has to be a US tour and possibly an album. I'll take either

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1412 on: December 06, 2023, 02:35:28 AM »
From their Facebook:

"Attention Passengers Club members! There’s a preview for you in the Passengers Club of the first single from the forthcoming Big Big Train studio album!"

Online HOF

« Reply #1413 on: December 06, 2023, 07:24:51 AM »
From their Facebook:

"Attention Passengers Club members! There’s a preview for you in the Passengers Club of the first single from the forthcoming Big Big Train studio album!"

It is a very brief snippet of the song Oblivion, which is the first single coming out on 12/8. They are encouraging members to share it on their social media pages. Once I get on my computer instead of my phone I’ll see if I can do it here (unless someone else beats me to it).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1414 on: December 06, 2023, 07:49:55 AM »
Cool!  I'm psyched.  Big Big Train is one of my favorite "newer" bands.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1415 on: December 06, 2023, 07:51:42 AM »
https://teaser.centurymedia.com/big-big-train-oblivion/

I believe "Oblivion" was one of the new songs they played on tour earlier this year.

Can't wait to hear the whole song! I'm hoping for a March album release, just in time for my birthday!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online HOF

« Reply #1416 on: December 06, 2023, 08:18:15 AM »

I believe "Oblivion" was one of the new songs they played on tour earlier this year.

Can't wait to hear the whole song! I'm hoping for a March album release, just in time for my birthday!

-Marc.

Thanks, Marc! I think we heard another snippet of this at some point last year. It's a Dave Foster song and sounded a bit more rocky/heavy, so will be interesting to hear the final version.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1417 on: December 06, 2023, 11:35:50 AM »

-Marc.
Awesome I cannot wait for this!  I'm hoping there's some US dates announced as well!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1418 on: December 07, 2023, 10:23:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/MaCppKPwUy0?si=OqTNJaQETg2l5FNA

"Oblivion" is now out for streaming!

Tracklist from here - https://justforkicks.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/16654

Award-winning progressive rock band BIG BIG TRAIN releases their 15th studio album via InsideOut Music, making it the first full album with new frontman Alberto Bravin (ex-PFM). The highly anticipated release of The Likes Of Us follows BIG BIG TRAIN's hugely successful European tour, which saw them play 17 dates in nine countries and conclude with two triumphant performances at London's Cadogan Hall. The album is a stunning work that contains all the elements that make the band so special, including captivating and memorable arrangements and top-notch music.

Definitions aside, BIG BIG TRAIN are a big fish in their pond of choice. With their album “Common Ground” the group managed to bring prog rock back into the UK top 40 charts in 2021. “Big Big Train are primarily a rock band, but we are also a prog band,” explains bassist and co-founder Gregory Spawton. "We are very conscious of the traditions we follow; we have never and never will deny them. The fact that we are bringing classic sounding prog back to the charts is absolutely fantastic."

On the group's most recent tour, two pieces from "The Likes Of Us" - "Oblivion" and "Love Is The Light" - were presented and enthusiastically received by the audience. During a tidal wave of rebirth and celebration, Bravin was accepted as part of the family. Indeed, the band's ever-evolving chemistry has led to fantastic results. "We have a great mix of people who want to be here and will go the extra mile to make something really special," says drummer Nick D'Virgilio. "There's a big world of talented musicians out there, and luckily some of them want to hang out with us."

'The Likes Of Us' is available as a limited CD + Blu-ray Mediabook (feat. Dolby Atmos & 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes by Bruce Soord of The Pineapple Thief as well as High-Resolution Stereo), Gatefold 180g 2LP and Standard CD Jewelcase.

CD:
1.Light Left In The Day 00:06:10
2.Oblivion 00:05:27
3.Beneath The Masts 00:17:26
4.Skates On 00:04:28
5.Miramare 00:10:17
6 .Love Is The Light 00:06:11
7.Bookmarks 00:06:23
8.Last Eleven 00:07:55

Also, this is the best birthday present I could ask for. Absolutely cannot wait for this next year.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2023, 10:44:35 PM by The Letter M »

Online HOF

« Reply #1419 on: December 07, 2023, 10:52:14 PM »
https://youtu.be/MaCppKPwUy0?si=OqTNJaQETg2l5FNA

"Oblivion" is now out for streaming!

Tracklist from here - https://justforkicks.de/en/detail/index/sArticle/16654

Award-winning progressive rock band BIG BIG TRAIN releases their 15th studio album via InsideOut Music, making it the first full album with new frontman Alberto Bravin (ex-PFM). The highly anticipated release of The Likes Of Us follows BIG BIG TRAIN's hugely successful European tour, which saw them play 17 dates in nine countries and conclude with two triumphant performances at London's Cadogan Hall. The album is a stunning work that contains all the elements that make the band so special, including captivating and memorable arrangements and top-notch music.

Definitions aside, BIG BIG TRAIN are a big fish in their pond of choice. With their album “Common Ground” the group managed to bring prog rock back into the UK top 40 charts in 2021. “Big Big Train are primarily a rock band, but we are also a prog band,” explains bassist and co-founder Gregory Spawton. "We are very conscious of the traditions we follow; we have never and never will deny them. The fact that we are bringing classic sounding prog back to the charts is absolutely fantastic."

On the group's most recent tour, two pieces from "The Likes Of Us" - "Oblivion" and "Love Is The Light" - were presented and enthusiastically received by the audience. During a tidal wave of rebirth and celebration, Bravin was accepted as part of the family. Indeed, the band's ever-evolving chemistry has led to fantastic results. "We have a great mix of people who want to be here and will go the extra mile to make something really special," says drummer Nick D'Virgilio. "There's a big world of talented musicians out there, and luckily some of them want to hang out with us."

'The Likes Of Us' is available as a limited CD + Blu-ray Mediabook (feat. Dolby Atmos & 5.1 Surround Sound Mixes by Bruce Soord of The Pineapple Thief as well as High-Resolution Stereo), Gatefold 180g 2LP and Standard CD Jewelcase.

CD:
1.Light Left In The Day 00:06:10
2.Oblivion 00:05:27
3.Beneath The Masts 00:17:26
4.Skates On 00:04:28
5.Miramare 00:10:17
6 .Love Is The Light 00:06:11
7.Bookmarks 00:06:23
8.Last Eleven 00:07:55

Also, this is the best birthday present I could ask for. Absolutely cannot wait for this next year.

-Marc.

Sounds good! The bass is really lively in the mix. Alberto sounds great. The children's storybook artwork is an interesting choice (I'm sure it ties with the themes in Last Eleven, maybe elsewhere in the album as well. Just not especially "rock and roll.").

Also, I wonder what's on the Blu-ray besides the 5.1 mix. Hopefully something to make that extra cost worth it to those of us who don't do surround.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Big Big Train v. New Single "Oblivion"! New album "The Likes Of Us" March 1st!
« Reply #1420 on: December 08, 2023, 12:13:01 AM »
Awesome! Can't wait.

Online HOF

Re: Big Big Train v. New Single "Oblivion"! New album "The Likes Of Us" March 1st!
« Reply #1421 on: December 08, 2023, 07:53:43 AM »
Here is the video for Oblivion, recorded live in the studio as all good music videos should be.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?fbclid=IwAR2LmHq-iSH5FQ9Rs25uTEBUu7VE8EDT5kpVJhUwcm-2K0HRJ_mVVO7DCw4&v=TZjAreGfqlU&feature=youtu.be

Really digging this song. I love the slow down in the middle.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1422 on: December 08, 2023, 08:07:52 AM »
Laser CD already has the CD/BD version up for $21. Not bad at all.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1423 on: December 08, 2023, 10:26:06 AM »

I saw those go up late last night. I was waiting til Band Wagon USA had theirs up this morning to see where I should order from. I typically go with them for my BBT orders but their mediabook was $28 compared to Laser CD's $21, so I went with them instead.

-Marc.

Offline Kram

« Reply #1424 on: December 08, 2023, 10:51:20 AM »
New song sounds great!  Although I've decided I'm only listening once and will not listen to the other two singles coming out, as those, along with Last Eleven, will represent 4 of the 8 songs.  I will patiently wait until March 1st to listen to the album as a whole as it should be.

Online HOF

« Reply #1425 on: December 08, 2023, 10:57:03 AM »

I saw those go up late last night. I was waiting til Band Wagon USA had theirs up this morning to see where I should order from. I typically go with them for my BBT orders but their mediabook was $28 compared to Laser CD's $21, so I went with them instead.

-Marc.

Hmmm. There's no description on the Bandwagon page or Laser's Edge about whether the CD only version has a different booklet or not. I don't really want to pay extra just for the surround mix on bluray, but if the mediabook is nice I might prefer that. Decisions.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1426 on: December 08, 2023, 11:02:13 AM »

-Marc.

Hmmm. There's no description on the Bandwagon page or Laser's Edge about whether the CD only version has a different booklet or not. I don't really want to pay extra just for the surround mix on bluray, but if the mediabook is nice I might prefer that. Decisions.

I think the only difference between the booklets, other than the mediabook's booklet being bound in, will be credits for the BD credits.

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #1427 on: December 11, 2023, 12:32:06 PM »
Am I the only one who finds the cover of the album terrible? By far their worst cover to date for me. And I didn't like Welcome To The Planet and Common Ground's covers either. I would have loved for the band to move back to their darker, more somber sound of Underfall, Difference and parts of English Electric but judging from the cover and the tracklist, quite the opposite is happening.
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #1428 on: December 11, 2023, 12:48:43 PM »
Am I the only one who finds the cover of the album terrible? By far their worst cover to date for me. And I didn't like Welcome To The Planet and Common Ground's covers either. I would have loved for the band to move back to their darker, more somber sound of Underfall, Difference and parts of English Electric but judging from the cover and the tracklist, quite the opposite is happening.

I'm not sure the artwork is very reflective of the sound of the album (Oblivion is certainly a bit darker in nature). It's a fine image on it's own, but I agree it seems a bit out of place on a prog rock album cover. Apparently the band worked very closely with Sarah Ewing to develop the artwork to fit the theme of the album though, so it's all apparently part of the band's creative vision.

Sarah has worked with them since the Wassail EP and was David Longdon's partner/fiancé, so she has a strong connection to the band. I haven't loved all of her covers (Grand Tour and Summer's Lease in particular) but I appreciate the personal nature of her work and the ongoing connection to David. I also think Folklore is one of their stronger covers, and I really like the Dyble Longdon cover that she did. I imagine this one may grow on me over time as well, but we'll see.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online HOF

« Reply #1430 on: December 12, 2023, 07:10:19 AM »
First US shows announced!

https://twitter.com/bigbigtrain/status/1734573825184985440?s=46&t=fZEL_VJFXNecsfY2bM-KNA

· Fri, 1st Mar - Fort Wayne, Indiana
· Sat,  2nd Mar - Rutherford, New Jersey
· Sun, 3rd Mar - Rutherford, New Jersey
· Tues,  5th Mar - Arlington, Massachusetts

Presumably there will be more as well.

March 2024 US Tour Dates

https://lotsofmuzik.com/big-big-train-announce-us-tour-dates-for-march-2024/

Ninja’d!

Actually Nick’s quote in here makes it sound like these will be all the shows on this run.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 07:40:46 AM by HOF »

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #1431 on: December 12, 2023, 08:00:44 AM »
Me: Waits impatiently for months for US tour dates to be announced.

BBT: Announces shows that overlap with Haken concerts I already have tickets for.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1432 on: December 12, 2023, 08:22:07 AM »
Ugh, closest show is a 4 hour drive. Probably not.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1433 on: December 12, 2023, 08:32:00 AM »

Following last Friday’s announcement of the new studio album ‘The Likes Of Us’ by the award-winning progressive rock band Big Big Train to be released on 1st March 2024, the band are delighted to announce four shows in the USA in March 2024. These shows are in addition to the band’s previously announced co-headlining appearances next year on board Cruise To The Edge in March and at the final Night Of The Prog in Germany in July as well as their debut at Cropredy festival in the UK in August.

The band will perform for the first time ever in the United States as follows:
• Friday 1st March 2024 – Sweetwater Performance Theatre, Fort Wayne, Indiana
• Saturday 2nd March 2024 – Rivoli Theater at The Williams Center, Rutherford, New Jersey
• Sunday 3rd March 2024 – Rivoli Theater at The Williams Center, Rutherford, New Jersey
• Tuesday 5th March 2024 - Regent Theatre, Arlington (Boston), Massachusetts
Ticket links for these shows are at www.bigbigtrain.com/live. The band’s two performances at the Rivoli Theater will feature substantially different set lists. Tickets for all shows will go on sale at 10am Eastern US time on Friday 15th December. 

“We could not be more pleased to be bringing Big Big Train to the USA for the first time,” comments lead vocalist Alberto Bravin. “We know that over the years a number of fans have travelled huge distances from North America to see the band play live in the UK and Europe. It’s wonderful that we can now re-pay that commitment so that they will be able to have the opportunity to see us in the States.”

“I’ve wanted Big Big Train to play in North America for many years,” drummer Nick D’Virgilio adds. “We’ve been thwarted a couple of times previously, so this is long overdue. We can’t wait to perform for our North American fans who have been so patient waiting for the band to cross the Atlantic. As we have only have a small time window that works for all of us, this is a very short run of dates, but if the shows go well then we will aim to return soon!”

For these four shows the band’s line-up will consist of Alberto Bravin (lead vocals), Nick D’Virgilio (drums), Oskar Holldorff (keyboards), Clare Lindley (violin), Rikard Sjöblom (guitars/keyboards) and Gregory Spawton (bass) as well as an additional multi-instrumentalist who will play trumpet, guitar and keyboards.

“In an ideal world Big Big Train would include a full brass section at every show, but financial realities just don’t allow us that luxury currently,” explains Gregory Spawton. “Going forwards we want Big Big Train to play as many shows as possible - meaning that we will be performing some shows with and some without the brass section. We’re keen to retain a brass element in all shows however and therefore Dave Foster has very graciously agreed to sit out our North America shows so that we can bring in a trumpet player, whose name we will be announcing soon.”

“Playing with a trumpet player is going to give these US shows a different flavour,” Rikard Sjöblom says. “We’ve got a great set list planned and I’m excited about being able to show what Big Big Train can do as a seven piece live band before we re-unite with a full brass section for the two shows on board Cruise To The Edge.”

Photo credit: Anne-Marie Forker

Interesting details for this NA Tour.

-Marc.

Online HOF

« Reply #1434 on: December 12, 2023, 08:35:27 AM »
I guess this means the full brass band and Dave might be joining them on Cruise to the Edge? Will be a different type of show for sure without the brass. None of these are anywhere near me, so that settles any question about whether I should make an effort to go (not big on live concerts anyway).