Author Topic: Big Big Train v. "The Likes Of Us" OUT NOW; European Tour Sept/Oct 2024!  (Read 111788 times)

Online HOF

Enjoyed this new song from the upcoming Dave Foster Band release, Glimmer (out April 21st).

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ-Xaqa5EE&feature=youtu.be

Also, here is a great drum play through video by NDV for a song off the new Kite Parade album, Retro (technically out Friday I believe).

https://youtu.be/ifA9F1tpBC0

If you missed the first Kite Parade album last year, definitely check that out as well because it was awesome (it’s basically a solo project by a guy named Andy Foster but Nick plays drums on most of it, and Rob Aubrey recorded/mixed it).

Online HOF

https://youtu.be/tOEd18p0iwA

Also looks like they'll be posting a live version of "The Florentine" from The Boerderij from last September.

At this rate, I'd pay for the whole concert video/audio!

-Marc.

Video of "The Florentine" is now live, and it's beautiful.

Offline Harmony

Also looks like they'll be posting a live version of "The Florentine" from The Boerderij from last September.

-Marc.

HOLY SHIT - YES!   :metal  :heart :heart :heart

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline The Letter M

-Marc.

HOLY SHIT - YES!   :metal  :heart :heart :heart

FTFY.  :lol

But yes, very good video, even though I only had a chance to watch half of it because I am at work, but I'll watch the whole thing when I get home later. Definitely makes me want the whole show on BD and CD now.

Here's the setlist from that show, for those curious:
Master James Of St. George
Made From Sunshine
The First Rebreather
Atlantic Cable
The Florentine
Telling The Bees
Hedgerow
Bats In The Belfry
Last Eleven
The Transit Of Venus Across The Sun
A Mead Hall In Winter
Apollo
East Coast Racer (Encore)

Based on the studio track times, it's about a two-hour show, which has been about average for the band.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Harmony

I don't even know how the hell that happened but thanks for fixing it.   :lol
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Fritzinger

I'm not crazy about this setlist, a little too "happy" for me (Hedgerow, Made From Sunshine, Bees, Florentine).

To be clear, I like all of those songs, even love some (Hedgerow, Bees), but I would love to hear a bit more of BBT's darker, more dramatic side as well (London Plane, Boy In Darkness, Winchester Driver). Also, I'm not sure if Master James is the most powerful opener for a concert? To be clear again, I also love that song, I'm just not sure about it as an opener.

I'm sure Apollo was awesome though and I'm happy they kept Mead Hall in the setlist.
any rock can be made to roll

Offline The Letter M

I'm not crazy about this setlist, a little too "happy" for me (Hedgerow, Made From Sunshine, Bees, Florentine).

To be clear, I like all of those songs, even love some (Hedgerow, Bees), but I would love to hear a bit more of BBT's darker, more dramatic side as well (London Plane, Boy In Darkness, Winchester Driver). Also, I'm not sure if Master James is the most powerful opener for a concert? To be clear again, I also love that song, I'm just not sure about it as an opener.

I'm sure Apollo was awesome though and I'm happy they kept Mead Hall in the setlist.

Maybe this summer they'll finally premier "Winchester Diver" (not driver) as it's never been played live before, AFAIK.

-Marc
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Fritzinger

Maybe this summer they'll finally premier "Winchester Diver" (not driver) as it's never been played live before, AFAIK.

-Marc

Embarrassing... only a typo though ;)

Offline The Letter M

-Marc

Embarrassing... only a typo though ;)

I've often confused it myself many times, and I even had to double check the spelling from the album on my phone just to be sure.  :lol

But also, adding an extra "r" to BBT titles could be fun. We'd get "Telling The Beers"!

-Marc.

Online HOF

Winchester Diver would be awesome live. They’ve already committed to playing more of the back catalog on this tour, so maybe it will happen. Fat Billy Shouts Mine is another older track I’d love to hear live (or The Wide Open Sea). If they want to dig really deep, The Shipping Forecast or Finding Your Way would be great too.

Offline The Letter M

I keep hoping for one or two songs from the Pre-Longdon albums, ones that they haven't played before (so not "Summer's Lease" or "Wind Distorted Pioneers").

-Marc.

Offline Fritzinger

Perfect Cosmic Storm would blow my mind.

Online HOF

First BBT podcast with Nick D'Virgilio dropped today for Passengers Club members. Some interesting nuggets include that the next D'Virgilo, Morse & Jennings album is just about done, and that Nick's Rewiring Genesis/The Lamb album is being re-mixed/re-issued with some new contributions from Steve Hackett. Lots of other good stuff in there as well though.

Offline The Letter M

First BBT podcast with Nick D'Virgilio dropped today for Passengers Club members. Some interesting nuggets include that the next D'Virgilo, Morse & Jennings album is just about done, and that Nick's Rewiring Genesis/The Lamb album is being re-mixed/re-issued with some new contributions from Steve Hackett. Lots of other good stuff in there as well though.

I'm stuck at work til at least five today, so I won't get a chance to listen til at least after then, but it's good to hear that the Rewiring Genesis album will get re-issued. I still remember ordering mine off Amazon back in November 2008, I think I paid like $15-16 after shipping, and I've still got that 2CD set. New contributions from Hackett is definitely worthy of re-buying the set. I wonder if they'll do it on vinyl too? I don't normally collect vinyl, but if it's a gorgeous package with a fancy vinyl color to match, I may splurge on it because I really love their take on that classic concept album.

Regarding the DMJ album, I wonder if he just means they're done writing it, or if they're done tracking the final studio recordings? Because if it's the latter, then I suspect they'll try and push this one out by the fall. With two albums under their belts, I wonder if they'll try to do a tour next year? It would be neat to see them pad out the set with songs from some of Neal's solo song-writer stuff, NDV's Invisible album, and Ross' solo album from a couple years ago. I'm sure Ross has wanted to play some of those solo album songs live and being with Nick and Neal would be the perfect time for that. I assume Nick would drum, Neal would play keys and acoustic guitar, but does Ross do anything besides sing, like play guitar or keys? I wonder who else they would get for a live band, at least a dedicated bassist and guitarist.

-Marc.

Online HOF

It sounded like with the DMJ album they were just putting the finishing touches on the songs, so I think it's all recorded. He did mention again how much they'd like to play live, but schedules and all that. 

Offline The Letter M

It sounded like with the DMJ album they were just putting the finishing touches on the songs, so I think it's all recorded. He did mention again how much they'd like to play live, but schedules and all that.

Oh yeah, getting those three together in the same room for a show or interview would be hard enough, but for a whole tour could be near-impossible, but I think they could try and make it happen. I think it would be a dream to see Nick bring Rikard from BBT to play guitars with them, and maybe Neal bring Randy George from NMB to play bass. That would be a great line-up IMO.

I definitely need to go back and spin the first DMJ album again, it's always refreshing every time I listen to it, so I am eagerly awaiting their follow-up!

-Marc.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
I'm hoping we get a set from DMJ on Cruise to the Edge since they'll all be onboard with respective bands.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kram

Oh yeah, getting those three together in the same room for a show or interview would be hard enough, but for a whole tour could be near-impossible, but I think they could try and make it happen. I think it would be a dream to see Nick bring Rikard from BBT to play guitars with them, and maybe Neal bring Randy George from NMB to play bass. That would be a great line-up IMO.

I definitely need to go back and spin the first DMJ album again, it's always refreshing every time I listen to it, so I am eagerly awaiting their follow-up!

-Marc.
That would be awesome!

Offline Kram

Winchester Diver would be awesome live. They’ve already committed to playing more of the back catalog on this tour, so maybe it will happen. Fat Billy Shouts Mine is another older track I’d love to hear live (or The Wide Open Sea). If they want to dig really deep, The Shipping Forecast or Finding Your Way would be great too.
Would love to see/hear live versions of all of these!

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
To celebrate and promote the forthcoming 'The Journey Continues' Tour this August & September, Big Big Train will be sharing videos of a couple of songs filmed on tour last year. The first of these is "The Florentine" which was recorded in September 2022 at The Boerderij in The Netherlands.
You can see the video here: https://youtu.be/tOEd18p0iwA

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/rtoVceCWqc4

Alberto has shared another video, and at the end features some new demo recording of new music!

-Marc.

Online HOF

Sounds good!

Offline Kram

https://youtu.be/rtoVceCWqc4

Alberto has shared another video, and at the end features some new demo recording of new music!

-Marc.
Sounds good and quite different from the other clips.  Can't wait for new music!!

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/cMMlag0uPRE

"The First Rebreather" live at The Boerderij.

-Marc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
That was great!
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Rikard is taking on a lot more keyboard stuff. Kinda figured now that they don't have 2 dudes in the back just handling keys.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Kram

That was awesome Alberto killed it!

Online HOF

Per Alberto’s Facebook, he and Maria Barbieri are in England doing some recording with Greg and Rob. They were at Aubrey’s studio the other day, and today they’re at Real World. Interesting since they have a plan to record as a full band in Italy in May. I guess they might just be doing some preproduction stuff now, but wonder if there isn’t something special being worked on that might be out in advance of the new album. Also looks like Maria will be involved in the recording band as well as live. Not sure if that means anything as far as Dave Foster’s involvement or not.

Offline Kram

Per Alberto’s Facebook, he and Maria Barbieri are in England doing some recording with Greg and Rob. They were at Aubrey’s studio the other day, and today they’re at Real World. Interesting since they have a plan to record as a full band in Italy in May. I guess they might just be doing some preproduction stuff now, but wonder if there isn’t something special being worked on that might be out in advance of the new album. Also looks like Maria will be involved in the recording band as well as live. Not sure if that means anything as far as Dave Foster’s involvement or not.
The fact that Maria is involved with the recording is interesting indeed. I'm thinking it could be for something to be released in advance of the tour - or could this be another Carly / Oskar situation?

Online HOF

The fact that Maria is involved with the recording is interesting indeed. I'm thinking it could be for something to be released in advance of the tour - or could this be another Carly / Oskar situation?

Certainly crossed my mind. Dave has his new Dave Foster Band album out soon, and he’s busy with Steve Rothery this summer. Doesn’t seem like he’s so busy otherwise that he’d pull out of the band altogether, but it’s possible Maria is better able to commit full time. Or maybe they’ll just utilize them both with Rikard focusing more on keyboards/accordion.

Offline The Letter M

BIG BIG TRAIN UPDATE – 17TH APRIL 2023

The Journey Continues Tour & The First Rebreather
Since the last update we’ve been preparing for the forthcoming August/September tour. Those preparations included Alberto Bravin and Maria Barbieri making a trip to the UK last week. They also managed to fit in a quick visit to Peter Gabriel’s Real World Studios and the city of Bath.

Last week we also released a film of The First Rebreather which was recorded last September at The Boerderij in the Netherlands: www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMMlag0uPRE   
Over the next couple of months we plan to release films of two more songs from the tour, one from the Boerderij show and the other from the Aylesbury show via the band’s YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/@bigbigtrainband 
On our YouTube channel you will find some recent short messages from band members about the forthcoming tour, with more to come.
The full list of tour dates this year with ticket links to all venue box offices is at www.bigbigtrain.com/live.

The Big Express Podcast – Alberto Bravin & Nick D’Virgilio
The second episode of the Big Express podcast went live in the Passengers Club last Friday and features BBT manager Nick Shilton and digital manager Steve Cadman in conversation with Alberto Bravin. You can log into or join the Passengers Club here: https://thepassengersclub.com
The first episode of the podcast with Nick D’Virgilio remains in the Passengers Club and will be available on all major streaming platforms shortly.

Ingenious Devices & Ingenious Devices Hoodie
Last call for pre-orders for the new hoodie to mark the 30th June release of the Ingenious Devices album. The sweatshirt is available in various sizes from S - 4XL and is expected to ship on 12th May 2023.

S – XL: https://burningshed.com/big-big-train_ingenious-devices...
2XL-4XL: https://burningshed.com/big-big-train_ingenious-devices...
All sizes: https://thebandwagonusa.com/en-gb/collections/big-big-train/products/big-big-train-ingenious-devices-zip-up-hoody

Ingenious Devices will be available on CD, double vinyl (black and blue vinyl) and Bandcamp download. The album will be available on all major streaming platforms from 28th July 2023. The album features new versions of East Coast Racer, Brooklands and Voyager, which prominently feature an elite 17 piece string section recorded at Abbey Road Studios in London and have been re-mixed for this release.

Additionally Ingenious Devices includes a previously unreleased orchestral piece called The Book of Ingenious Devices, which links East Coast Racer and Brooklands, as well as a live version of Atlantic Cable, which was recorded on the band’s tour in September 2022.
Ingenious Devices remains available to pre-order here:
https://burningshed.com/store/bigbigtrain
https://thebandwagonusa.com/collections/big-big-train
https://bigbigtrain.bandcamp.com

An exclusive preview of the Ingenious Devices track Brooklands remains available to Passengers Club members.

Dave Foster Band/Glimmer
The new Dave Foster Band album Glimmer will be released on Friday this week on CD. Unfortunately, and with our apologies, the vinyl has been delayed until 8th May. You can hear the two singles from the album …Or You Steal Some and Dive In here https://youtu.be/XDZ-Xaqa5EE and www.youtube.com/watch?v=46ibrMw4RdA

Pre-order Glimmer now via Burning Shed https://burningshed.com/store/english-electric-recordings or The Bandwagon USA https://thebandwagonusa.com/en-gb/collections/dave-foster-band The album will be available via all digital platforms from 19th May 2023.

Recent Interviews
Finally, there are a couple of new Big Big Train interviews online.
Watch Alberto Bravin, Gregory Spawton and Nick D’Virgilio on Interviewing The Legends: www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCGNMzEfUsI 
Listen to Gregory Spawton on the Rock, Paper, Swords! podcast here: https://open.spotify.com/episode/4TjtbzqZfJ4ZYm752JD2o0?si=vS9yE8AHQUWkBu2G2aXb5w&dd=1

Best wishes

Big Big Train

Lots of good updates! We draw ever closer to the release of Ingenious Devices, and subsequently, the next tour! Also, I can't wait for the next two live videos from Boerderij and Aylesbury!

-Marc.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Ingenious Devices - Album Release Trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwVT6FSLWpk
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online HOF

Don’t think I’ll ever not get a little choked up hearing David sing that line. Sounds great with the orchestra.

Offline Kram

Don’t think I’ll ever not get a little choked up hearing David sing that line. Sounds great with the orchestra.
Same - one of the great moments in music history lol (I'm being serious though).  It does indeed sound incredible with the strings added!

Offline The Letter M

https://youtu.be/0C8R-rAKjW0

"Atlantic Cable" live in Aylesbury. It sounds and looks SO good.

-Marc.