Author Topic: VOLA appreciation thread - If Meshuggah and Depeche Mode had a baby  (Read 6646 times)

Offline Mladen

Re: VOLA appreciation thread - If Meshuggah and Depeche Mode had a baby
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2021, 09:55:09 AM »
Maybe you have though of A Moon shaped pool by Radiohead and got confused.

I prefer the debut over Applause, but fingers crossed this one works out for me. I'm looking forward to it.

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2021, 09:19:31 AM »
VOLA RELEASE NEW SONG '24 LIGHT-YEARS'
INCLUDING STUNNING ANIMATED VIDEO

Taken from their upcoming new studio album 'Witness'
Out on 21 May 2021 via Mascot Records

Watch the brand new video for '24 Light-Years' here:
https://youtu.be/23V1j_cp-_k

Pre-Order
http://smarturl.it/Vola-MLG

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2021, 10:00:36 AM »
I’m not going to listen, because this is probably my most anticipated album for this year so far
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2021, 11:03:08 AM »
That is really lovely. I am really enjoying these guys. I love that atmosphere, chord progression, and the build-ups.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2021, 11:11:06 AM »
I’m not going to listen, because this is probably my most anticipated album for this year so far

Same here. Vola has become one of my favorite bands lately along with Fates Warning.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2021, 11:24:42 AM »

Same here. Vola has become one of my favorite bands lately along with Fates Warning.

Let me tell you guys. Do not give in. It will be worth it. I am new to VOLA as well, and wonder why it took so long for me to check them out.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2021, 11:47:18 AM »
I just recently discovered these guys.  On a scale from 1 to 10, they kick ass.

Looking forward to the new album!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2021, 08:16:45 AM »
Really excited to see more new fans coming into the fold! :metal

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2021, 10:20:50 AM »
New album is just so perfect!

:metal

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2021, 10:56:28 AM »
Is it more comparable to Inmazes or Applause?

Offline pfillion

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #46 on: May 07, 2021, 12:39:40 PM »
New video

https://youtu.be/XdJ4_cJWz8E

Really positive first impressions for this one. Very different for them, but actually sounds like a pretty damn competent genre mash-up.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline pfillion

« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2021, 05:39:50 AM »
My favorite song from the new album

https://youtu.be/xtvVYF_X8k0

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2021, 06:29:17 AM »
Album is incredible. Didn't like the rap song but its only a couple of minutes. Once they get into normal Vola mode, song is excellent.

Offline me7

« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2021, 09:00:56 AM »
I actually enjoy the rap song in the flow of the album. After 15 minutes of Vola bliss, it feels like a nice change of pace.
The only thing I have mixed feelings about is the placement of Freak/Napalm, maybe Napalm would have been more effective somewhere else, not directly after the song it is most similar to.

Seems like a huge step up after Applause.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #50 on: May 22, 2021, 01:28:32 AM »
Commencing second listen now. The highlight first spin was definitely Freak. I know I listened to all the singles once, before the release of Witness, but none of them left a particularly big impression.

I can see all three of VOLA's albums ranking equally for me. I'm only a casual fan and I don't favour either of their first two albums over the other.

I like how melody heavy Freak is, it's quite different to their usual approach, and I love it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #51 on: May 22, 2021, 04:32:16 AM »
Freak also stood out for me on the first listen, the melody is striking. I am looking forward to spending the next week with the album.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #52 on: May 22, 2021, 10:29:48 PM »
I've been such a massive fan of VOLA and I really enjoy this album but atm it's hard to place for me amongst the rest. The first two are pretty different from each other and I loved them for that. This just seems to be a bit of refinement from Applause. Definitely another awesome release from the band.  :metal

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »
I find it to be a bit closer to Inmazes with how guitar-focused it is, whereas Applause was much more keyboard and atmosphere-focused. While that's not the direction I want the band to move in, I'm liking this one more than Inmazes, for sure.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2021, 01:21:01 PM »
This is AOTY material.

I got to listen to it for the first time today. The only 'single' I had heard before was Head Mounted Sideways. I find this album to be a lot closer to Inmazes than Applause, although it contains traits of both. These Black Claws and Napalm stood out as favourites, but it's difficult to rank after just two listens.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ

Offline romdrums

« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2021, 01:58:50 PM »
First off, the album sounds amazing.  The mix is gargantuan, and yet you can pick up all of the details going on, which makes for a really pleasing listen.  My only complaint is the sound replacement on the drums.  I'm tired of hearing all metal records using the same sounds.  That's what made Applause so awesome to me was the fact that the drum sound was way more unique. 

That gripe aside, this is a fantastic record, and likely my AOTY, just beating out Frost's Day and Age.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2021, 02:05:29 PM »
My only complaint is the sound replacement on the drums.  I'm tired of hearing all metal records using the same sounds.  That's what made Applause so awesome to me was the fact that the drum sound was way more unique. 

Ugh, yes. I'm so tired of Nolly Shotgun Snare (I know Nolly had nothing to do with this record, but still). The productions for the first two albums might be """worse""" but they had a lot more character than this one.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2021, 02:08:12 PM »
This album has that Djent style production, shotgun snare included.

Has that Altered State, Tesseract vibe to it. Mixed with the sound of Devin Townsend. I can hear a lot of Devy influence.

I enjoyed the album. Not being a hardcore Vola fan, might have helped a lot.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2021, 02:27:23 PM »
My only complaint is the sound replacement on the drums.  I'm tired of hearing all metal records using the same sounds.  That's what made Applause so awesome to me was the fact that the drum sound was way more unique. 

Ugh, yes. I'm so tired of Nolly Shotgun Snare (I know Nolly had nothing to do with this record, but still). The productions for the first two albums might be """worse""" but they had a lot more character than this one.

Nolly Shotgun Snare.   :lol

I was going to say Andy Sneap, but same difference! 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2021, 02:43:56 PM »
New album is really good.  :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2021, 12:40:02 AM »
Just got around to looking to Witness.

Very good first impressions. The blend of styles is really something. And the sound is incredible.

Applause made me happy for a while and then totally dropped off my radar. I'll be giving both some time and will see what I think.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2021, 02:02:27 AM »
Never heard of this band before, the conversation in this thread sounded up my alley.   Gave Witness a go, couple of plays and I like it - reminds me of 'Mew' in places.  The only thing I'll say is after a very strong start to the album the back half loses steam, a lot of the songs have a similar soaring chorus style and it tends to all blend a bit.
But definitely a good find, I'll go back though their other two(?) albums soon.

Offline me7

« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2021, 07:35:59 AM »
If you find the songs good but a bit too predictable, definitely check out their debut Inmazes soon.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: September 21, 2021, 03:20:32 PM »
Stumbled upon this band on YT and i'm liking what i've heard so far. Strong melodies along with riffs and atmosphere.

I've only really heard Witness.

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2021, 07:03:16 AM »
Another band I put off listening for years, and now they've been one of my best discoveries of the year over the past few months.  I like their first two much more than their latest right now, but it's growing on me gradually.

I'm a little confused as to why people mention Depeche Mode in relation to them.  I don't know if it's just the electronic artist that metal/prog fans are most likely to be familiar with that prompts people to reference them, or if it's something deeper.  Other than both being darkly melodic bands with rock and electronic influences and a baritone vocalist, I'm just not hearing more than very superficial similarities, as Depeche Mode is one of my favorite artists.  The closer comparison is how eerily similar Asger sounds to Jonas Renkse at times. 

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2021, 12:48:40 PM »
Another band I put off listening for years, and now they've been one of my best discoveries of the year over the past few months.  I like their first two much more than their latest right now, but it's growing on me gradually.

I'm a little confused as to why people mention Depeche Mode in relation to them.  I don't know if it's just the electronic artist that metal/prog fans are most likely to be familiar with that prompts people to reference them, or if it's something deeper.  Other than both being darkly melodic bands with rock and electronic influences and a baritone vocalist, I'm just not hearing more than very superficial similarities, as Depeche Mode is one of my favorite artists.  The closer comparison is how eerily similar Asger sounds to Jonas Renkse at times.
Yea I think the band reminds me a bit of Katatonia, or atleast when I first heard them.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2021, 01:06:08 PM »
Absolutely love Vola. I had the same level of excitement when I discovered Katatonia, Porcupine Tree and Dream Theater. I would say they do have that Night is the New Day Katatonia sound but they do have a very original sound.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2021, 03:17:17 PM »
I don't think VOLA sound like Katatonia, but that might be me then.

Witness is still on course for top 3 AOTY, and that's despite it not being as good as their debut (just my opinion). Love this band!
Squ

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #68 on: September 26, 2021, 05:37:17 PM »
24 Light-years right now is spinning in my head, beautiful song!  :heart

I don't think VOLA sound like Katatonia, but that might be me then.

Witness is still on course for top 3 AOTY, and that's despite it not being as good as their debut (just my opinion). Love this band!
Yea you're probably right. I think it's more about the music being as impactful like Katatonia was when I first heard them or atleast close to it.

However the vocals on the verses in Future Bird reminds me of the guest singer on Departer.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2021, 05:43:06 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2021, 07:08:27 PM »
Other than both being proggy alternative metal bands, it's just in the vocals that I see a comparison to be made, not so much the instrumentation or the songwriting.