Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 443692 times)

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3640 on: June 29, 2019, 08:57:49 AM »
I don't mean to offend anyone, but are Haken really that good, or is it the hype? (I'm not too familiar with them, so that's why I ask)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #3641 on: June 29, 2019, 08:59:50 AM »
Probably somewhere in the middle
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3642 on: June 29, 2019, 09:00:34 AM »
I don't mean to offend anyone, but are Haken really that good, or is it the hype? (I'm not too familiar with them, so that's why I ask)

Hmmm, I wonder what fans in this thread will say...:P

I didn't buy the hype at first outside of a few songs, but they slowly won me over, and now I would definitely say they are that good.  The singer was a tough hill for me to climb, but I got there eventually. 

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: June 29, 2019, 09:04:47 AM »
I'd say it's an acquired taste. Either you like them, or you don't. A lot of people here like them, and a lot of people, well, don't. My best friend doesn't like them at all, and I throw at him all kinds of music I like and that's basically how I introduced him to Steven Wilson, Agalloch, Wolverine, Leprous, Ayreon; he loves all those bands but he doesn't like Haken. I, on the other hand, love them. They're a breath of fresh air in a prog metal scene.

I travelled to Hamburg to see their show and do a meet and greet with them, and it was worth every penny and then some. I had a blast chatting with them, and the show was fantastic.

Another thing I wanted to kinda mention, I love how diverse their T-shirts are. For Vector tour, I have a beige one, a red one, a black one with green/orange print, the black with insects and then I also bought the green Heineken/Haken one because that one is pretty good. I think among all the bands Haken is the one I own most T-shirts from. :lol
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3644 on: June 29, 2019, 09:08:27 AM »
To anyone still wanting to check them out for the first time, I would strongly recommend to not start with Initiate and The Good Doctor, the lead "singles" from their last two albums. Those have got to be their most bland songs ever; it's almost like they tried to write something short and catchy to attract new fans, but those kinds of songs are not their forte. 

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3645 on: June 29, 2019, 01:56:15 PM »
I don't understand the question. Surely the hype is precisely because a reasonably large number of people think they really are that good.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline 425

« Reply #3646 on: June 29, 2019, 03:10:04 PM »
To anyone still wanting to check them out for the first time, I would strongly recommend to not start with Initiate and The Good Doctor, the lead "singles" from their last two albums. Those have got to be their most bland songs ever; it's almost like they tried to write something short and catchy to attract new fans, but those kinds of songs are not their forte.

I guess that my unpopular take is that the short, catchy songs might be my favorite songs on Affinity (Initiate, Lapse and Earthrise).
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3647 on: June 29, 2019, 05:55:16 PM »
Is "hype" even an applicable word for a band that has been around for a decade and has released 5 albums?

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3648 on: June 30, 2019, 06:09:50 AM »
Every single one of their albums rates very good to excellent for me.

Offline DTA

« Reply #3649 on: June 30, 2019, 06:31:55 AM »

Darkest Light falls into this category too. Just bland and very typical. I don't think their strength is in that type of song, but Good Doctor is the best of the bunch imo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3650 on: June 30, 2019, 07:18:08 AM »
Darkest Light falls into this category too. Just bland and very typical. I don't think their strength is in that type of song, but Good Doctor is the best of the bunch imo.

I agree about Darkest Light.  I am not a fan of that one either.

I guess that my unpopular take is that the short, catchy songs might be my favorite songs on Affinity (Initiate, Lapse and Earthrise).

Earthrise is excellent, and I like Lapse quite a bit as well. Initiate is just bland.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3651 on: June 30, 2019, 07:48:15 AM »
I think Initiate is a best song on Affinity.

Online me7

« Reply #3652 on: June 30, 2019, 08:39:18 AM »
Initiate and Good Doctor both work well as album openers for me. They are both leave me a bit unsatisfied and craving for more. Especially Initiate, which cuts off abruptly to be continued in Architect and Bound by Gravity.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3653 on: June 30, 2019, 08:14:45 PM »
Ya, I didn't think Initiate was all that great.   Fortunately, the album just keeps getting better, and ends with possibly their greatest album closer of all time.   

Vector, unfortunately, is just the opposite for me.  Pretty good opener, but then just "above average" for most of the rest of the album.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline 425

« Reply #3654 on: June 30, 2019, 08:19:29 PM »
Gotta be honest, for me the last two albums are a significant drop-off from the first three.

The first three, especially Aquarius and The Mountain were excellent, so a significant drop-off is still good, but it's still there and noticeable for me.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3655 on: June 30, 2019, 08:33:41 PM »
Affinity, for me, was a drastic "left turn"....but I felt pretty strongly that that is what made it so great.   They were in danger of repeating themselves if they didn't do something very different with their 4th album, so that's exactly what they did.   

I have to give The Mountain the edge, because the theme and lyrics are extremely personal to me.   I heard that album for the first time at a very dark time in my life when I was wondering if it was worth it to go on.   But the albums theme of overcoming adversity.....and really doing it in such a positive uplifting way....was just the right music at the right moment.  Totally pulled me out of my funk.   

That having been said, Affinity is possibly a musically superior album.   The musical themes (as opposed to the lyrical themes) are truly breathtaking.   Not that The Mountain's aren't, but the musical congruency of Affinity is just....wow.   

Offline 425

« Reply #3656 on: June 30, 2019, 09:17:00 PM »
I definitely share your high opinion of The Mountain.

Affinity just ain't that for me. I can really for the most part take or leave everything after Earthrise. Red Giant and Bound By Gravity are enjoyable but not memorable, and The Endless Knot is not really my style, though not by any means bad. And I never got the massive hype around 1985. It's a solid song, but it's 5th on the album by a wide margin. For me, Affinity is three very good to great short songs, a very good epic (that nonetheless does not match any of their previous epics in quality), and some stuff that's solid but not exciting.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #3657 on: June 30, 2019, 09:40:55 PM »
the mountain is their best, aquarius is right behind it. affinity and vector are solid, visions is meh.

also, darkest light is maybe the worst haken song because not only is it bland and repetitive but it takes the best song off their demo and makes it significantly less interesting. i don't know why they did that to the song.

anyways the good doctor is great actually

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #3658 on: July 02, 2019, 02:18:02 AM »
Going to see the boys tonight in Nürnberg! And next week again in Dresden - can't wait for this cheerful insanity!
any rock can be made to roll

Online me7

« Reply #3659 on: July 02, 2019, 05:53:40 AM »
I saw them headline in my hometown in March. I'm going to see them next week in a city two hours away. And I'm going to see them in December, when they open for Devin Townsend.

2019 is a good year :metal

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3660 on: July 17, 2019, 05:34:17 PM »
I'm going to interview Richard about his solo album next week. Questions for him?

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3661 on: July 17, 2019, 10:42:28 PM »
I'm going to interview Richard about his solo album next week. Questions for him?
What he can tell us about the next Haken album? :corn
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3662 on: July 18, 2019, 07:41:32 AM »
What he can tell us about the next Haken album? :corn

I think it will be a continuation of the last one which many called a conceptual album

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3663 on: July 18, 2019, 10:16:17 AM »
I was just thinking... I'd love to hear Haken do an album of Covers. I'd donate to a crowdfund for that. Include Africa and a DT song :lol
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3664 on: July 18, 2019, 10:21:53 AM »
I was just thinking... I'd love to hear Haken do an album of Covers. I'd donate to a crowdfund for that. Include Africa and a DT song :lol

MP's TSF was pretty close to a show of Haken doing DT and it was really awesome.  I'm not sure I'd want them to focus on an album of covers, but if they did a bonus disc of covers for their next album similar to what DT did for BC&SL, I'd be down with that.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3665 on: July 18, 2019, 10:22:48 AM »

If they ever did a DT song, I really hope they don’t do anything really classic like PMU or Home. Instead it might be cool if they took something older and obscure and did it really different. Make it Haken-ized.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3666 on: July 18, 2019, 10:39:14 AM »

Is Nova Collective still working on new material?

What's the song (by any artist) that you played the most when practicing guitar?

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3667 on: July 18, 2019, 10:47:32 AM »

If they ever did a DT song, I really hope they don’t do anything really classic like PMU or Home. Instead it might be cool if they took something older and obscure and did it really different. Make it Haken-ized.

Yeah, I'd pay for that, but I don't want it to be a note-for-note cover. Do something like Nightwish did with High Hopes (well, not the best example because you can't improve High Hopes), do something different or at least make it sound like your song.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3668 on: August 02, 2019, 08:25:21 AM »
HaKEN ft. Aqua - Barbie Box

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NyXTnZQh1c

YOU CAN TOUCH YOU CAN PLAY BUT YOU CANNOT SOLVE THIS PUZZLE BOX

:metal

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3669 on: August 02, 2019, 08:50:39 AM »

This is awful... but I can't stop listening :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3670 on: August 02, 2019, 09:39:09 AM »
omg  :lol this is ridiculous but it kind of works, I mean I don't actually enjoy it but it's hilarious

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3671 on: August 05, 2019, 06:22:00 AM »
I finally spoke with Richard Henshall last saturday, and the interview was published today. Check it out!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-richard-henshall/?fbclid=IwAR3pnOiRsusZomn-HOZ-3BYDVJ_j3M70rvhJWgDWP7NkKszfzMFZuDfTH48

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3672 on: August 05, 2019, 09:57:40 AM »

Oh My....
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #3673 on: August 05, 2019, 10:45:41 AM »
Burnished just shipped Richard's solo album. I hope I get by end of this week. Very excited about this one!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3674 on: August 05, 2019, 11:06:22 AM »
Burnished just shipped Richard's solo album. I hope I get by end of this week. Very excited about this one!

It's Haken meets Zappa.