Author Topic: OTBOA video!!  (Read 18164 times)

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
Re: OTBOA video!!
« Reply #70 on: September 14, 2011, 09:29:53 AM »
Loved it. Though my favorite video by them is still Lie. Also, loved the full length shit.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
The video for On the Backs of ANGELS has a running motif of CLOCKWORK....

Coincidence??
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2011, 09:48:25 AM »
Awesome video!  I love it.  The only thing I don't like is JLB with the sunglasses and leather jacket on, because I'm a Queensryche fan (or used to be) it reminds me of recent Geoff Tate on stage. 
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #73 on: September 14, 2011, 10:12:10 AM »
That video was decent. I wish there was a little more footage of the band on stage / JM.

This makes me really pumped for the next DVD release.

Offline Edan the Man

• DTF.org Alumni
  • I got my special savin' the world boots on
« Reply #74 on: September 14, 2011, 10:33:36 AM »
I'm surprised people still make music videos nowadays.  Considering no TV stations play them anymore.  I don't see how they are cost effective to the record companies anymore.
I liked the video, but yeah I wonder about this every time DT makes a new video.

Offline atalkingfish

• Yeah/
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2011, 10:47:27 AM »
I'm surprised people still make music videos nowadays.  Considering no TV stations play them anymore.  I don't see how they are cost effective to the record companies anymore.
I liked the video, but yeah I wonder about this every time DT makes a new video.

Well, you'll notice it's on Yahoo music. That's because Yahoo is desperate and will pay Dream Theater to put their music on their website first (to get more traffic)

It's pathetic really, but it pays for things.
Anonymity + regular jerks = complete super douchebags

Offline Addy

« Reply #76 on: September 14, 2011, 10:51:58 AM »
My first reaction: "whoa, it's not edited/shortened !" It's great. And it's a really nice video, can't say it's their best, but it works. I really enjoyed it.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #77 on: September 14, 2011, 11:13:06 AM »
Fun video - or it would be, if Yahoo music's streaming did not suck.  In some shots JLB resembles Frank Zappa.

As far as the message... I could make it fit any political idealogy I chose.  :P
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #78 on: September 14, 2011, 11:22:09 AM »
As much as I wish this song were a dig on Obama, it's unfortunately not.  I know this for a fact because Petrucci said, himself, that the song is about left vs. right in America.  My interpretation of "backs of angels" is that we, as citizens, elect politicians with the hope that they're going to solve all of our problems, but they're not "really" angels, they're just humans who are greedy and manipulate the system for power instead of helping us or doing what's best for us. 

The "days are numbered" part, to me, means that OUR days are numbered because this system can't keep continuing or our society will crumble.  We're being led, "like lambs to the slaughter." 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2011, 11:29:45 AM »
As much as I wish this song were a dig on Obama, it's unfortunately not. I know this for a fact because Petrucci said, himself, that the song is about left vs. right in America.  My interpretation of "backs of angels" is that we, as citizens, elect politicians with the hope that they're going to solve all of our problems, but they're not "really" angels, they're just humans who are greedy and manipulate the system for power instead of helping us or doing what's best for us. 

The "days are numbered" part, to me, means that OUR days are numbered because this system can't keep continuing or our society will crumble.  We're being led, "like lambs to the slaughter."

Funny you should say that; every conservative I know has said that celebrities should STFU when it comes to politics.

My own belief is that the two-party system has failed, but that's another discussion!  :facepalm:

I'm happy about your Petrucci quote, because the last thing DT needs to do is to (potentially) alienate any part of their fan base.
It's the Internet.  Everything everybody says, no matter how factual-sounding, is opinion.

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #80 on: September 14, 2011, 11:36:43 AM »
Funny you should say that; every conservative I know has said that celebrities should STFU when it comes to politics.

True, good point.   

Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2011, 11:38:13 AM »
This is prob their best video. I enjoyed it a lot and im happy nothing got cut. Sure I wish they focused on Mangini during the crazy ride/cymbal section but it's all good.

We just need to have this in HD on youtube!

Offline SnakeEyes

« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:15 AM »
Give it about another hour.  LOL

Offline BFRedrocks

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2011, 11:39:42 AM »

Regarding the buildings cracking and falling apart during JP's solo:  Now we have definitive proof that JP's guitar is simultaneously a force of nature and a weapon of mass destruction.  I knew it!

Nice one Bosky!!   :rollin

Offline Arch Benemy

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2011, 11:41:31 AM »
Decent video, nothing earth-shattering but does the job. I did quite literally laugh out loud at the first shot of James in sunglasses though

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2011, 11:45:30 AM »
Looks like some of the shots of James is a little out of sync with the vocals. I just noticed it on my 2nd view of it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Shadow2222

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2011, 11:50:17 AM »
Is anyone slightly disappointed by the CG of the buildings? Yes, I understand it's Dream Theater and it's just a music video that doesn't have a ridiculous budget, but it is just not that good :(

Everything else was awesome though!
"A pitch black night unfolds with the morning star as its only light... and thus the saga... begins" - Shenhua (Shenmue series)

Offline sagar_k

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2011, 12:02:02 PM »
Decent video, nothing earth-shattering but does the job. I did quite literally laugh out loud at the first shot of James in sunglasses though

:rollin

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2011, 12:14:25 PM »
Meh. The video was OK I guess.

Offline darkshot

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2011, 12:26:36 PM »
Pretty good video by DT standards, I guess.  I would have liked to see the audio sync up better but it was taken mostly from a live performance so I can't really complain.  Hell it would be nice of them to actually release that live performance with the live audio instead of the studio audio.  :lol

I wonder if they will make a BMUBMD video in the coming months, since it's supposed to be their pop metal song.  I personally would love to see a Bridges in the Sky video... full length... and featuring a real shaman.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #90 on: September 14, 2011, 12:27:53 PM »
Loved it. JLB looked boss. Reminds me of 1984 with the big screens (no, I never saw the movie).

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #91 on: September 14, 2011, 12:57:46 PM »
JLB looks ridiculous in the sunglasses and leather, but aside from that, it's a pretty decent video.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #92 on: September 14, 2011, 01:11:30 PM »
The video for On the Backs of ANGELS has a running motif of CLOCKWORK....

Coincidence??

You found the nugget!  DT & Rush will tour together in 2012 in support of Clockwork Angels:metal

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #93 on: September 14, 2011, 01:30:03 PM »
Very cool, definitely one of their best!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #94 on: September 14, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Loved it. JLB looked boss. Reminds me of 1984 with the big screens (no, I never saw the movie).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Offline njdtfan

« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2011, 01:34:01 PM »
“‘On the Backs of Angels’ is dealing with, in society we have, people always pushing themselves to be bigger and better, entrepreneurial individuals looking to say something and make something different, something that puts them up to create a very successful situation for themselves. And on the other end of the spectrum we have people that kind of suck or bleed the system and want to somewhat break down anything that is positive or complacency seems to be their mote and it’s unfortunate and it’s very destructive and it’s very negative. So, there’s two things going within this song but aside from that, I think it’s another song on the album that proves that we’re maintaining the identity of Dream Theater loud and clear.” – James LaBrie

Life's biggest battles
Often are fought alone
My spirit brings me home

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2011, 01:38:58 PM »
As much as I wish this song were a dig on Obama, it's unfortunately not.  I know this for a fact because Petrucci said, himself, that the song is about left vs. right in America.  My interpretation of "backs of angels" is that we, as citizens, elect politicians with the hope that they're going to solve all of our problems, but they're not "really" angels, they're just humans who are greedy and manipulate the system for power instead of helping us or doing what's best for us. 

Really good analysis, SE.

Depends.  The vast majority of celebrity soap boxing comes off as hypocritical, ill informed, and/or heavily agenda-driven.  I think that is what turns a lot of people off.  To me, a song like this is very different because it isn't "this is a problem and you must think this way or you are a moron."  It is, IMO, a well-thought out "this is a problem and we should think about how to fix it." 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Priest of Syrinx

• Feeding my Narpets
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2011, 01:45:55 PM »

Depends.  The vast majority of celebrity soap boxing comes off as hypocritical, ill informed, and/or heavily agenda-driven.  I think that is what turns a lot of people off.  To me, a song like this is very different because it isn't "this is a problem and you must think this way or you are a moron."  It is, IMO, a well-thought out "this is a problem and we should think about how to fix it."

I agree with you that most celebrities come off as "hypocritical, ill informed, and/or heavily agenda-driven".  IMO, OTBOA is not so much "political" as "societal", if we can even separate the two any more.

Hey, are we talking about DT members as "celebrities"?   :omg: :tup

Offline Cranky

« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2011, 01:48:14 PM »
I think the video is the coolest they have done in a while, though there isn't much to choose from..
I like all of their music videos, but this one is just cool!
I really enjoy that they didn't cut any of the song, which they should have done for say, Constant Motion, where the entire pre-solo section is cut, so it changes keys and tempo in the worst way possible.

I am going to say that I wish Jame's didn't cut his hair, I really liked the way he looked for BC&SL and SC.
He just looks kinda cheesy in the video, especially the bits where he is wearing sunglasses.

That's just me, though.

Great video!

Offline WaterToFire

« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2011, 02:04:10 PM »
At first the constant imagery of skyscrapers and greco-roman statues make me think of banks and financial institutions, which reinforces my thought that this was in reference to the financial crisis of 2008. Although as has been noted, this may be due to the video producer and may not reflect the band's intent.

Personally I would be really annoyed if the song was about digging at Obama, not because I think he's so great, but because everyone in the system is clearly at some fault- those who leech, those who manipulate, those who are idealists, and those who are complacent. 

That said, the interpretation that this is about the vicious and self-serving political struggle between left and right seems the most likely and best option. No one is really alienated there (except ideologues), and it fits the lyrics very well.

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2011, 02:06:37 PM »
It kind of reminded me of the Feel Good Inc video by Gorillaz with JLB on the building. It was a pretty good video. The shaking at the end though was a bit trifling
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Ħ

« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2011, 02:17:47 PM »
First thought is that it's a LOT better than the other vids.  The production is awesome (although the CGI buildings were kinda cheesy).

Second thought is that I'm really surprised they made a video for the whole song, completely unedited.

Third thought is that LaBrie looks more awesome than he ever has...except for the motorcyclist sunglasses look that he keeps trying to sport.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Saiko

« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2011, 02:40:24 PM »

Hrm, not sure about that. Start with part of JLB's description of the song: "....in society we have, people always pushing themselves to be bigger and better, entrepreneurial individuals looking to say something and make something different, something that puts them up to create a very successful situation for themselves. And on the other end of the spectrum we have people that kind of suck or bleed the system..."

Keeping that in mind, here is the "days are numbered" part of the song:

Riding out the wave
Content to feed off the machine
Bleeding us to death
The new American dream
You're blinded by your hunger
Beware your days are numbered

To me, the phrase "content to feed off the machine" is describing people that are happy to receive money from the government instead of striving to work harder and reduce their reliance on social programs. The phrase "Bleeding us to death, the new American dream", in my opinion, is talking about the money that is taken from successful individiuals (taxes?) to fund these social programs.

The fact that the "days are numbered" line immediately follows this section lends me to believe that he is specifically talking about the segments of society that either want to continue funding these programs and/or the people that are overly reliant on them.

Any lyrics like these are open to interpretation though, that's the fun of it!

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »
Wow, they didn't cut it down. And on a good song.

There is a hefdaddy

Offline krands85

« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2011, 02:51:06 PM »
Pretty cool, glad they didn't edit it down. Would have preferred a bit more focus on the band in some places though - eg. Myungs little spot at 3.12

JLB superimposed onto big buildings made me  :lol

Looks like some of the shots of James is a little out of sync with the vocals. I just noticed it on my 2nd view of it.
I noticed that too, on the Yahoo page at least. I hate things like that, I always notice even the slightest audio/video sync issue and it gets stuck in my head  >:( ;D
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww