Author Topic: Official Yes Top 50 Countdown Thread! - #42-43 Revealed!  (Read 2949 times)

Online HOF

Re: Official Yes Top 50 Countdown Thread! - #42-43 Revealed!
« Reply #175 on: May 09, 2024, 10:07:21 AM »
Leave It (my number 9 as has been pointed out) is amazing. Both vocally and instrumentally. I also have the acapella mix as a bonus track on my copy of 90125, which is really cool. For my money, that track, while super catchy, is also very proggy. It's genius.

The Ancients is definitely one I've struggled to get all the way through. Maybe if I were in the right headspace. But regardless I did not rank it.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #176 on: May 09, 2024, 10:22:30 AM »
Despite the fact that I really don't get Tales's songs as a whole, I've always thought that drum/bass section (parts of it at least) from The Acient very engaging and cool.
Leave It is very cool and original, but didn't make my list.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2024, 10:29:44 AM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline pg1067

« Reply #177 on: May 09, 2024, 10:28:11 AM »
I have the a capella version of "Leave It" on my iPod, and not the album version.  The vocals are so rich that the song is basically complete without adding any instruments.  Hearing it on the radio one time gave me a much greater appreciation for the song.

I'm very familiar with the song, but I gave it a quick listen before posting this morning.  I actually forgot how much instrumentation the album version has, and the second half of the song is much more of a "normal" song.

Leave It (my number 9 as has been pointed out) is amazing. Both vocally and instrumentally. I also have the acapella mix as a bonus track on my copy of 90125, which is really cool. For my money, that track, while super catchy, is also very proggy. It's genius.

I was thinking that as I was typing the blurb.  It's absolutely NOT what typically comes to mind when one talks about a "proggy" song, but Leave It unquestionably is.  It's really the epitome of what that term represents (and I'm being a lot more effusive than I usually would be about a song that didn't make my list, but that's really how good Yes and the 90125 album is).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DTA

« Reply #178 on: May 09, 2024, 10:29:14 AM »
I didn't rank either of these songs, but I like them. Not love them, but like them. Leave It is probably one of my more listened to songs from 90125 and for being such a radio hit, it's pretty odd that they never revisited it live after the 90125 tour. Band setlist choices always fascinate me.

The Ancient's first 12 minutes are definitely my least favorite moment from the album. Dissonant, weird wackiness that never really goes anywhere, though there are some cool moments stuffed in there that I really like. I appreciate the oddness of this song, but the real magic is definitely the ending section. Very beautiful section, and much needed after the first part of the song.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #179 on: May 09, 2024, 10:36:57 AM »
96 - Homeworld (The Ladder)
88 - Mood For A Day
86 - Leave It
72 - City Of Love
63 - The Ancients (Giants Under The Sun)
57 - I Am Waiting

36 - Cinema
27 - Future Times/Rejoice
12 - Lift Me Up

First regret of the countdown.  Leave It.  I really like that song, the harmonies are exquisite and live, it REALLY delivered.  I don't know if it's a function of what songs it was up against in the ranker or what, but it doesn't really deserve #86.  I'm not sure what it deserves, because it's not a song, per se, but certainly "86" doesn't at all indicate my admiration for it. 

The Ancient is what I wrote above: Tales is a marvelous piece of work in totality, but other than one song, the "songs" themselves aren't really the point. 

Offline pg1067

« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2024, 12:49:46 PM »
The Ancient is what I wrote above: Tales is a marvelous piece of work in totality, but other than one song, the "songs" themselves aren't really the point.

Obviously, the footage doesn't exist, but a Mike Portnoy-style "in the studio" making of TFTO would be fascinating.  If I could send a fly on the wall back through a time machine, I'd definitely visit the sessions for CTTE and TFTO.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline romdrums

« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2024, 02:10:38 PM »
43. Leave It (43). Nailed it! This is a really fun song. The vocal arrangement is stellar, and it's something my son and I will sing along with on the way to school.

42. The Ancient (N/R). Try as I might, I can't get into this piece. To my ears, it sounded like they were running out of ideas and decided to do a freak out for this, and then, as each member lost interest, we're left with Steve's avant garde screeching on his electric guitar, until he decides "enough of that" (maybe it was someone signaling 'wrap it ip' behind the glass), and then he switches to his acoustic for the Leaves of Green section. On some occasions, I can get through it, but most of the time, I skip from The Remembering straight to Ritual.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2024, 03:30:48 PM »
The Ancient was my #8. I'm happy that I'm the highest ranker, but I still wish more people liked it. People might comment on the song being too frenetic, but in my opinion, it's the pinacle of Steve Howe's career. He is the star of the piece. And then again, there are some truly gorgeous sections in it, Jon's vocal lines are wonderful. I love the entire piece.

I don't care about Leave it. And I'll leave it at that.  ;D

Offline pg1067

« Reply #183 on: May 09, 2024, 05:54:09 PM »
I don't care about Leave it. And I'll leave it at that.  ;D

So...you could take it...or leave it?   :biggrin:

Two new albums will make an appearance tomorrow.  What will they be?!

Offline Animal

« Reply #184 on: Today at 04:57:50 AM »
Ancient - 11 My second most favorite track from TFTO. The lengthy first part might take a long time to say little but I feel its meandering is somehow justified in the way it leads to that acoustic guitar part. I mean, what is the better way to appreciate a sudden break of orderly beauty of Leaves of Green section than after listening through of 12 minutes of unstructured mess?

Leave it - 38 An enjoyable tune, no more, no less. Not sure how well it would rank had I been familiar with a bigger part of Yes discography. I like the vocal arrangements but I prefer the album version to the a capella one.

Offline DTA

« Reply #185 on: Today at 06:10:24 AM »
Listened to 90125 today at the gym and honestly, I think I underrated Leave It and City of Love. Really good songs that I enjoy immensely, and are probably my favorites on the album along with Hearts and Changes. Hold On and Cinema continue to underwhelm me though.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #186 on: Today at 07:12:56 AM »

Glad to see The Ancient make the list, I assume that means all 4 Tales songs made it.

18. The Ancient (Giants Under the Sun)
33. Lift Me Up
34. Leave It
35. Mood For a Day

N/A Future Times / Rejoice
N/A Cinema
N/A City of Love
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online HOF

« Reply #187 on: Today at 07:28:16 AM »
Listened to 90125 today at the gym and honestly, I think I underrated Leave It and City of Love. Really good songs that I enjoy immensely, and are probably my favorites on the album along with Hearts and Changes. Hold On and Cinema continue to underwhelm me though.

Was listening to 90125 yesterday as well, and my opinion on Cinema has not changed. It’s a decent idea, but sounds more like an unfinished demo than anything. Why they didn’t try to develop it further in the studio is beyond me. It sounds like the start of something cool but never goes anywhere. Or I guess could have been an intro to something else. But as a stand alone love piece in the middle of a studio album with otherwise pristine sound, it just sticks out like a sore thumb.