Author Topic: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty  (Read 213847 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2017 NFL thread v. Patriots Dynasty
« Reply #2415 on: December 31, 2017, 11:33:07 AM »
Haha, I was thinking that, too.

"If I dig long enough, I can find a stat or two that shows Ben is Rodgers' equal!!!...while ignoring the countless other ones where it ain't close."  :lol :lol

Team success is the only edge Ben has, and the Steelers have quite obviously done a much better job at surrounding Ben with a great team around him for most of his career than the Packers have since 2008 with Rodgers (they are trash without him).

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2416 on: December 31, 2017, 11:38:49 AM »
I'll leave this to the statisticians, but I'm on TAC's side here that Big Ben is on the same level as Rodgers.  The general memory test would suggest that Ben had the tougher divisional opponents over the last 12 years (Browns notwithstanding).  Bengals/Ravens have been (by-and-large) better teams than Bears/Vikings/Lions.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2417 on: December 31, 2017, 11:50:35 AM »
The general memory test would suggest that Ben had the tougher divisional opponents over the last 12 years (Browns notwithstanding).  Bengals/Ravens have been (by-and-large) better teams than Bears/Vikings/Lions.

So I was just about to post this very information. I would've thought the same thing, but the aggregate records over the last 10 years is the AFC North(Not counting the Steelers) is 214-260-3 and the NFC North (not counting GB) is 220-256-1.
The AFC North has easily the team with the best record (Ravens 94-65) and the worst (Browns 38-121). The Bengals (82-74-3) and the Vikings (84-74-1) are a wash.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2418 on: December 31, 2017, 11:53:26 AM »
Haha, I was thinking that, too.

"If I dig long enough, I can find a stat or two that shows Ben is Rodgers' equal!!!...while ignoring the countless other ones where it ain't close."  :lol :lol

Team success is the only edge Ben has, and the Steelers have quite obviously done a much better job at surrounding Ben with a great team around him for most of his career than the Packers have since 2008 with Rodgers (they are trash without him).

So Rodgers is a better passer. Big whoops.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2419 on: December 31, 2017, 11:55:24 AM »
But here's is what I am saying. I am not saying Ben is better than Rodgers. What I am saying is that they are not in different classes.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2420 on: December 31, 2017, 11:56:48 AM »
The general memory test would suggest that Ben had the tougher divisional opponents over the last 12 years (Browns notwithstanding).  Bengals/Ravens have been (by-and-large) better teams than Bears/Vikings/Lions.

So I was just about to post this very information. I would've thought the same thing, but the aggregate records over the last 10 years is the AFC North(Not counting the Steelers) is 214-260-3 and the NFC North (not counting GB) is 220-256-1.
The AFC North has easily the team with the best record (Ravens 94-65) and the worst (Browns 38-121). The Bengals (82-74-3) and the Vikings (84-74-1) are a wash.

Well suck me sideways.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2421 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
Well suck me sideways.

Um...I'd rather just let Kev win the argument.  ;D

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2422 on: December 31, 2017, 01:33:31 PM »
C'mon Browns, what the hell? Don't let the dream of achieving the perfect season get away from you now!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2423 on: December 31, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
But here's is what I am saying. I am not saying Ben is better than Rodgers. What I am saying is that they are not in different classes.

Agreed.

And Kev, back to a question you asked on the last page - what has Ben done? When I have the free time I can sit down and dig up all his accomplishments, but for real? He’s done a lot, the fact that some years he a good supporting cast (but remember some years he didn’t) doesn’t invalidate the guys accomplishments.

That said I’m totally with you on the Tomlin post, the unprepared nature of the team after the James TD was overturned was the perfect snapshot of his continual screw ups as a coach.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #2424 on: December 31, 2017, 01:56:27 PM »
Does anyone else feel like the Browns are starting to undermine the importance of the first overall draft pick? They keep getting it, and their picks never make them any better.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2425 on: December 31, 2017, 02:12:13 PM »
Glad the 'snide' is somewhat over for my long ago forlorn Lion fans and friends.

I am sure that similar jerseys will be a hot item along Lake Erie in brown and orange

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2426 on: December 31, 2017, 02:17:51 PM »
Does anyone else feel like the Browns are starting to undermine the importance of the first overall draft pick draft?

Yes.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #2427 on: December 31, 2017, 02:23:30 PM »
What happened?  Did Philly play their practice squad today?  :lol  So much for home field advantage. :p

Does anyone else feel like the Browns are starting to undermine the importance of the first overall draft pick draft?

Yes.

Yeah, the 1st round pick after a shitty season isn’t much of a consolation prize.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2428 on: December 31, 2017, 02:25:11 PM »

So Rodgers is a better passer. Big whoops.

Because one QB being a better passer than another means nothing? :lol :lol :biggrin:

Except that they are.  By just every individual measure imaginable, Rodgers is in a different class.

Does anyone else feel like the Browns are starting to undermine the importance of the first overall draft pick? They keep getting it, and their picks never make them any better.

Because their culture is a joke.  They could've taken Carson Wentz last year and found a way to screw it up.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2429 on: December 31, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »
Seahawks playing with typical post-SB49 Seahawk heart. See you guys next season! Well, the ones who are still on the team anyway.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2430 on: December 31, 2017, 05:00:25 PM »
Aaron Rodgers is coming to Foxboro next year!!!!!!!

www.nbcsports.com/boston/patriots/new-england-patriots-2018-schedule-set

R-O-D-G-E-R-S!!!!

Commented Rodgers:" My Twitter pal @Kev Shmev (pictured above) told me some dude out there was talkin' smack. F#%K Big Ben".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2431 on: December 31, 2017, 05:13:52 PM »

I agree with this.  If I'm starting a football team, and they tell me "look, you're going to get Ben in his prime, or Aaron in his prime, and we'll flip a coin for it", I'm good with that.   I have to build different teams, perhaps, but they are both great ways to start an offense. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2432 on: December 31, 2017, 05:34:35 PM »
Right, and for all of Rogers' stats, it amounts to a Field Goal difference per game.

It's the Manning vs Brady argument.

And I hate the "If Rogers had Belichick, he'd have a ton of rings too" argument. Puleeze. Ben certainly didn't have Belichick and still has 3 rings.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2433 on: December 31, 2017, 05:38:25 PM »
Ben has 2 rings, chief. :P :lol

A FG a game is significant over the course of a 16-game season.  The Patriots scored 458 points this season; the Lions scored 410.  That is a difference of a FG a game, so I guess that means Brady and Stafford were on the same level this year, right?

Also, let me know when the Packers get Rodgers a RB nearly as good as LeVeon Bell or a WR as good as Antonio Brown. :corn

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2434 on: December 31, 2017, 05:42:05 PM »
Poor Bills fans. They now have to hope Dalton comes back to beat the Ravens for them to make the playoffs.

Meanwhile, the Titans were basically handed a playoff spot today by getting to play a Jags team that had nothing to play for.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2435 on: December 31, 2017, 05:44:44 PM »
Ben has 2 rings, chief. :P :lol

Ah..that's right.
#inflategate

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2436 on: December 31, 2017, 05:49:34 PM »
I will say, the infatuation of Pats fans to suddenly find ways to make Rodgers seems less great are interesting. I have seen it in a lot of places. It's like they got wind of the fact last year that most considered Rodgers and Brady 1a and 1b (currently, not all-time), so now they have to find ways to nit pick Rodgers to make him seem less great, because they can't stand anyone being compared to the Golden Boy.  I guess with Peyton retired, they miss having a great QB to trash, so Rodgers is the easy target.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2437 on: December 31, 2017, 05:53:19 PM »
OMG, that play in the Bengals/Ravens game!!!!!! :eek :eek :eek :eek :eek

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2438 on: December 31, 2017, 06:01:46 PM »
I will say, the infatuation of Pats fans to suddenly find ways to make Rodgers seems less great are interesting. I have seen it in a lot of places. It's like they got wind of the fact last year that most considered Rodgers and Brady 1a and 1b (currently, not all-time), so now they have to find ways to nit pick Rodgers to make him seem less great, because they can't stand anyone being compared to the Golden Boy. I guess with Peyton retired, they miss having a great QB to trash, so Rodgers is the easy target.

No Kev, that's not it at all. At least for me. Trust me, there is plenty of Brady ball washing around here.

Look, I am in no way trying to discredit anything Rogers has done. My whole entire point is about Ben Roethlislberger.

Look, yes, I think Brady is the best QB in the league right now. Yes, I think Rodgers is the second best.  But you can throw all the stats you want at me, and I just don't feel that Roethlisberger, even though he may not be better than Rodgers, is a whole class of QB's below him.

I'm not trying to discredit Rodgers, I'm trying to credit Roethlisberger. Don't label me as some homer Brady bum. This conversation has nothing to do with Brady.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2439 on: December 31, 2017, 06:07:08 PM »
I will say, the infatuation of Pats fans to suddenly find ways to make Rodgers seems less great are interesting. I have seen it in a lot of places. It's like they got wind of the fact last year that most considered Rodgers and Brady 1a and 1b (currently, not all-time), so now they have to find ways to nit pick Rodgers to make him seem less great, because they can't stand anyone being compared to the Golden Boy.  I guess with Peyton retired, they miss having a great QB to trash, so Rodgers is the easy target.

Hey hey! Settle down.  Rodgers is better.

Also, thank you Cincy!! The Ravens give me nightmares.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2440 on: December 31, 2017, 06:08:44 PM »
LOL Ravens.

Looks like Black Monday will be anti-climactic. I wonder if they even let Del Rio get back to Oakland before firing him.

Pretty crappy wildcard weekend coming up, by the looks of it. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2441 on: December 31, 2017, 06:14:02 PM »
NFL Network is already reporting Del Rio has been fired.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2442 on: December 31, 2017, 06:20:45 PM »
LOL Ravens.

Looks like Black Monday will be anti-climactic. I wonder if they even let Del Rio get back to Oakland before firing him.

Pretty crappy wildcard weekend coming up, by the looks of it.

Isn't every wildcard weekend crappy of late?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #2443 on: December 31, 2017, 06:32:05 PM »
James Harrison effectively doubled his season production today. Three tackles plus 2 assists, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. As far as I know there were no fatalities.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2444 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:51 PM »
Yeah, he was around the ball.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2445 on: December 31, 2017, 06:37:32 PM »
I'm watching this Bills-Dolphins game, and while I'm excited for Buffalo, I watch when they cut to Tie Rod Taylor on the sideline, and he's sitting slumped on the bench, staring at the scoreboard with his tongue sticking out of his mouth, in a 13-pt game where momentum is completely moving in Miami's direction. 

Contrast that with Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Ben, Brees...  all working with teammates and studying film/photos/Surface Tablets to get the advantage. The difference between good players and CHAMPIONS.   

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2446 on: December 31, 2017, 06:43:01 PM »

This is nonsense.   This is the same as the nonsense around Portnoy and Sons of Apollo.   If you're not a fan boy, you're bashing.   Personally?   I love Aaron Rodgers.  If I was a GM, I'd be happy as a clam to have him on my team.   Having said that, he's not Brady.  Yeah, he has some spectacular wins, and he's a human highlight reel.    But Brady wins ALL* the games, not just the spectacular endings.   

* Not literally "all" the games but he wins the grinders, the air-it-outs, the must-haves and the garbage games.  No, he's not perfect, but he's as good as they get. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2447 on: December 31, 2017, 07:12:56 PM »
James Harrison effectively doubled his season production today. Three tackles plus 2 assists, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble. As far as I know there were no fatalities.

Did you think they signed Rae Carruth?

ATL wins their game, knocking the Seahawks out of the playoffs, and then Blair Walsh misses a potential game-winning FG. Priceless.

And FU Bills, now the Mariners have the longest playoff drought in the 4 major sports.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2448 on: December 31, 2017, 08:54:18 PM »
I'm watching this Bills-Dolphins game, and while I'm excited for Buffalo, I watch when they cut to Tie Rod Taylor on the sideline, and he's sitting slumped on the bench, staring at the scoreboard with his tongue sticking out of his mouth, in a 13-pt game where momentum is completely moving in Miami's direction. 

Contrast that with Rodgers, Brady, Wilson, Prescott, Ben, Brees...  all working with teammates and studying film/photos/Surface Tablets to get the advantage. The difference between good players and CHAMPIONS.

And.....ten seconds later all those QBs are just sitting there, and ten seconds later Tyrod is talking to a teammate or on the phones upstairs talking about a play.  I hate close ups of QBs on the field calling signals, I hate close ups of QBs sitting on the sidelines ('they're not playing defense, Mr. Cameraman and Mr. Director).  I've seen way too many pictures of Ben, Brady, Flacco et al 'just sitting there'.  Same goes for stone faced head coaches, assistant coaches, or coaches talking behind their play cards. 

Now, get off my yard!

<mike drop>
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:27:22 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2449 on: December 31, 2017, 09:08:41 PM »
 :lol

Mike drop.  Lol

It's his on field play that matters.