Author Topic: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025  (Read 25620 times)

James Mypetgiress, retaehTmaerD (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: DREAM THEATER - Europe leg of the 40th Anniversary Tour 2024-2025
« Reply #735 on: May 06, 2024, 12:48:33 PM »
Ten thousand fans from all over the world are not converging on London on 20 October to hear a Majesty demo.

Did Another Won sound like a demo when you listened to Score? No way!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #736 on: May 06, 2024, 01:17:59 PM »
How about right before the second set, a short video montage with some audio, then James comes on and says "Hey, we've been lucky enough to rekindle our relationship with the Mighty Mike Portnoy, and it's a blessing. We're not so lucky in that we can't do that with someone who was at ground zero of this forty year anniversary. Can you please acknowledge, as we acknowledge in our hearts, the late, great Charlie Dominici.    This next one is a song about loss, and it is "The Best Of Times"."
This is not bad, except for the part about playing The Best of Times.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #737 on: May 06, 2024, 01:22:07 PM »

Yeah, save that for the encore. Good idea Hef!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #738 on: May 06, 2024, 01:28:20 PM »
Ten thousand fans from all over the world are not converging on London on 20 October to hear a Majesty demo.

I don't know, but I think this material is exactly for that kind of fan! :metal
And nowadays the Majesty demos are on Spotify, they aren't something obscure anymore.
OK, I also get that a lot of hardcore fans like us don't like it, so it's not a good sign. But DT did it on Score, isn't it?
Well, maybe I'm totally wrong on it, but it's still my bet for this tour: we'll listen to more than a few seconds from the Majesty demos in instrumental form. And to play it as an instrumental also would be a nice nod for DT beginnings.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Kram

« Reply #739 on: May 06, 2024, 01:29:08 PM »
Yes, that song is about Mike's dad, and may be too personal to MP for that.  But I agree with the sentiment, some sort of tribute to Charlie.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #740 on: May 06, 2024, 01:38:20 PM »
How about right before the second set, a short video montage with some audio, then James comes on and says "Hey, we've been lucky enough to rekindle our relationship with the Mighty Mike Portnoy, and it's a blessing. We're not so lucky in that we can't do that with someone who was at ground zero of this forty year anniversary. Can you please acknowledge, as we acknowledge in our hearts, the late, great Charlie Dominici.    This next one is a song about loss, and it is "The Best Of Times"."

Aside from the fact that TBOT is a bottom 10 DT song for me, it would seem odd to play that song, which is expressly about MP's father, in connection with mentioning Charlie's death.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #741 on: May 06, 2024, 02:22:48 PM »
Aside from the fact that TBOT is a bottom 10 DT song for me, it would seem odd to play that song, which is expressly about MP's father, in connection with mentioning Charlie's death.

Well, for all of us that relate to it, we're not Mike's dad's son, so for us it's more generally about loss and how it impacts our lives.  If there's a better DT song about the loss of someone dear, they can play that instead.  It was a general point, not a specific request for that song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #742 on: May 06, 2024, 02:26:32 PM »
Yeah, save that for the encore. Good idea Hef!
Not at all what I meant.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #743 on: May 06, 2024, 03:17:54 PM »
Well, for all of us that relate to it, we're not Mike's dad's son, so for us it's more generally about loss and how it impacts our lives.  If there's a better DT song about the loss of someone dear, they can play that instead.  It was a general point, not a specific request for that song.

I still think it would be odd, but I get your point.  For my money, and regardless of whether they play TBOT, Afterlife would be the most appropriate song.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #744 on: May 06, 2024, 03:30:55 PM »

Agree. Not a son of Portnoy's dad, but of my own mother who passed away recently and I think it fits perfectly.

I still think it would be odd, but I get your point.  For my money, and regardless of whether they play TBOT, Afterlife would be the most appropriate song.

LaBrie would have a hard time with Afterlife, I guess...

edit; well, this LaBrie-part of me might be bullshit, on a second thought.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #745 on: May 06, 2024, 04:05:27 PM »
Agree. Not a son of Portnoy's dad, but of my own mother who passed away recently and I think it fits perfectly.

same for me

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #746 on: May 06, 2024, 11:14:47 PM »

Agreed.... TBOT is way down on my list of DT songs.

Change it to A Change of Seasons instead and I'm in.

Online HOF

« Reply #747 on: May 07, 2024, 08:41:46 AM »
They could also do Take Away My Pain, which is probably easier for James vocally anyway (and a better song that TBOT).

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #748 on: May 07, 2024, 09:20:46 AM »
They could also do Take Away My Pain, which is probably easier for James vocally anyway (and a better song that TBOT).
Agreed with all of this.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #749 on: May 07, 2024, 09:57:04 AM »
I definitely want them to play The Best of Times, and it’s not because I love the song, but because, IMO, TBoT has the greatest guitar solo ever written and I want to see John play it in person.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #750 on: May 07, 2024, 10:16:25 AM »
I definitely want them to play The Best of Times, and it’s not because I love the song, but because, IMO, TBoT has the greatest guitar solo ever written and I want to see John play it in person.

Yes.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Awaken

« Reply #751 on: May 07, 2024, 12:21:36 PM »

I get why people don't like the song (though I'm not in that camp), but never hearing that solo live would really suck.  I'm hoping it makes the setlist this time around.  And if it doesn't, I hope it appears at some point when MP feels he can present it live every night.

Online HOF

« Reply #752 on: May 07, 2024, 12:55:38 PM »
I don't know, that solo didn't do a lot for me when I heard it. I think it's more that musical section overall seems a bit too over the top.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #753 on: May 07, 2024, 01:10:56 PM »
It's a good solo, no doubt.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #754 on: May 07, 2024, 01:37:12 PM »
I don't know, that solo didn't do a lot for me when I heard it. I think it's more that musical section overall seems a bit too over the top.

In all fairness, it’s really not in your lane. But yeah one of his best solos ever.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #755 on: May 07, 2024, 01:45:31 PM »
Haven't listened to that song in so long to remember the solo.  I don't hate the song though, I'd welcome it due to it not being played.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #756 on: May 07, 2024, 07:48:29 PM »
it's a good solo
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Online HOF

« Reply #757 on: May 07, 2024, 09:14:58 PM »
It's a fine solo, just don't know that it is an especially interesting or memorable solo.

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #758 on: May 07, 2024, 11:17:07 PM »
It's indeed a beautiful solo, with nice melodical playing but also great shredding. I'm not a big fan of the song overall though, but my bet is that they are playing it because Portnoy is finally back to the band, so they can't miss the chance of doing it AND because of the solo. Kinda like a too long of a song for such an important set this will be, but I think it's happening!

Offline crystalstars17

« Reply #759 on: May 08, 2024, 04:12:45 AM »
Agreed.... TBOT is way down on my list of DT songs.

Change it to A Change of Seasons instead and I'm in.

All of this.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #760 on: May 08, 2024, 04:16:38 AM »
I must be one of the few who actually loves TBOT.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #761 on: May 08, 2024, 04:29:40 AM »
I love The Best of times, but come on, there's no way Mike is putting himself through the torture of having to play such an emotional song every night. He can barely listen to it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #762 on: May 08, 2024, 05:35:59 AM »

Same here. Top 15 DT song.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #763 on: May 08, 2024, 07:25:39 AM »
There are probably a lot of DT fans who like or love the song.

However, I am not included in that group.

Which is fine, because I'm sure I like songs that lots of other people don't care for.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #764 on: May 08, 2024, 08:02:13 AM »
It's indeed a beautiful solo, with nice melodical playing but also great shredding. I'm not a big fan of the song overall though, but my bet is that they are playing it because Portnoy is finally back to the band, so they can't miss the chance of doing it AND because of the solo. Kinda like a too long of a song for such an important set this will be, but I think it's happening!

I love The Best of times, but come on, there's no way Mike is putting himself through the torture of having to play such an emotional song every night. He can barely listen to it.

Because of this (the bolded), the best idea is to just segue form another song into the solo section of TBOT (the best part of the song) and problem solved! :tup
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: May 08, 2024, 09:27:19 AM »

Really no reason to play it every night. Do it once for a special occasion, maybe for a DVD filming so everyone can experience it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #766 on: May 08, 2024, 10:03:36 AM »
It's a fine solo, just don't know that it is an especially interesting or memorable solo.

Every time I mention how meh that song is, someone responds with, "but the solo!!!!!"  So I go and re-listen to the song, and...it's just a solo.  Nothing at all special.

Offline gborland

« Reply #767 on: May 08, 2024, 10:15:11 AM »
You still have to endure 10 minutes of tedium before you get to the solo.
Graham Borland

Offline pg1067

« Reply #768 on: May 08, 2024, 10:33:54 AM »
You still have to endure 10 minutes of tedium before you get to the solo.

Yup...I feel the same way about guitar solos as I do about lyrics:  great lyrics or a great guitar solo can't turn an otherwise crappy song into a great song.  The corollary only really works with lyrics:  crappy lyrics can ruin an otherwise great song.

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #769 on: May 08, 2024, 10:45:13 AM »
I would like to see TBOT live someday. It's a song that goes on a structural journey. It's a song I can put on, close my eyes, and imagine an accompanying scenario.

In the intro, I see a person sitting down at home reminiscing on childhood memories. It's in a sort of slow motion, black and white style. This person knows that their loved one's time is short. When the full band comes in, all those happy memories rush into their memory, which is represented by the uplifting music. I enjoy that MP made this personal by including the happy memories he had with his father. The mood shifts when the call comes, the call that the person has passed on. The music then sets that background for the emotional final moments with the loved one. This is where MP says his heartfelt thanks to his father. Even though I think he overuses the word 'day' in the lyrics here, I feel the mourning in the way JLB delivers those lines and the accompanying music behind it.

The way the songs on BC&SL take you on a journey through their structure is a reason why I like the album, and that title is really fitting for the structures of the songs going from a moment of something dark to a moment of brightness and clarity.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD