Author Topic: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)  (Read 95127 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: ariich's DARK TO LIGHT roulette (v8) - Post-roulette updates (ongoing)
« Reply #3640 on: May 08, 2024, 08:22:54 AM »
Next up... Lisa X, Little Lilith, Mary's Blood  :lol

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3641 on: May 08, 2024, 08:55:41 AM »
Next up... Lisa X, Little Lilith, Mary's Blood  :lol
Not far off, probably spread across the next two updates. :lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3642 on: May 08, 2024, 10:29:31 AM »
Kamara (sent by Luoto)
Interesting band this. I’m really digging Kahden maailman välissä, which is the album you included two songs from. As I said in my write-up for your EP, I dig the range of metal influences in here and the way they blend them together. A couple of weaker songs, but mostly strong stuff and the best tracks are amazing. The self-titled album they did after that was pretty good too, but not nearly as consistent. Some fantastic moments, but it doesn’t hang together as well, with otherwise good songs being brought down by some pretty weak sections. I also tried the previous album, Painajaismaa, and that was… less my thing. :lol I like the way their later albums incorporate thrash metal with other styles, but on this album, other than some good ideas here and there, a lot of it sounds like mid-tier thrash.

I'd agree with you on KMM being their clear standout work. Their later output mainly has some standout songs such as "Vallan huoneissa" and "Kuvitelman lohtu". They seem to have dropped harsh vocals for good, and extreme metal influence is only occasionally heard in the guitars.
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3643 on: May 08, 2024, 12:50:53 PM »
Kalandra (sent by Evermind)
No surprise at all, but The Line is a fantastic album. The two songs you included on your EP leant very much into the atmospheric folk part of their sound, which is the part that adds a certain richness to their music and makes it something special. But that said, I’m really loving the balance of moods and styles across the album, including straight up prog rock at times. Their overall sound is fantastic and it really is just an amazing album.

Been waiting for this update and yeah, absolutely. I can't recommend it enough, definitely one of my favourite albums I recently discovered.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3644 on: May 08, 2024, 01:41:11 PM »
Yeah, that album by Jonas is exactly like you described.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3645 on: May 09, 2024, 01:31:02 PM »
Seems my opinions on those last few artists were well aligned with the people who sent them. Good times!

Today is actually a full year since this roulette started. :lol I had a feeling this would happen but I'm glad I've been digging into all these artists because I've discovered some real gems and even with those I haven't got into, they've not (individually) taken much of my time and I'm still glad I gave them a try.

Anyway, extra surprise update only a day after the last one! :O

Katzenjammer (sent by soupy)
What a wonderfully entertaining band. You only included one song on your EP as a sort of novelty, but it was a great one and I was always looking forward to this and they didn’t disappoint. Their debut album Le Pop is probably the best one, just so dynamic and pulling in an odd range of influences from various types of folk music, indie pop and theatrical cabaret stylings. Great compositions and performances. The other albums are really good too though. A Kiss Before You Go is quite similar and nearly as good, and then Rockland is a little more straightforward stylistically but still a really good pop album with enough quirk to make it feel fresh and distinctive.

Kendrik Lamar/various artists - Black Panther The Album (sent by faizoff)
Ok so I already checked out Kendrick from one of the earlier rounds, but didn’t think to include this album when doing so. I gather he had varying degrees of involvement in each track but wasn’t actually the main artist in many of them. And yeah, it’s quite a mixed bag. Generally those where he’s actually credited are the most interesting, though there are a couple of other tracks that are decent too (like Jorja Smith’s “I Am”). I also quite enjoy the collaboration with The Weeknd. But really the only great song on the album is the SZA collaboration All the Stars, which you included on your EP and which I still love.

Kyuss (sent by Sacul)
Wasn’t hugely awed by this band within your EP (better than Boris but not as interesting as Sleep) but I did quite enjoy the songs so I decided to give some listens to Welcome to Sky Valley. It’s not entirely my thing, but it’s pretty cool and I’ve been enjoying it more than I thought I might. I don’t find the melodic hooks that strong and so I sort of expected to find the stoner rock sound to wear a bit thin over a whole album, but actually it does have an oddly immersive vibe to it. Not something I feel particularly compelled to come back to, but still something I’ve enjoyed listening to.

Leonard Cohen (sent by seneca)
As you know from my EP write-up, I wasn’t especially interested in diving into his earlier work (based both on what I’ve heard before as well as the older song you included) but was very intrigued by his later, darker-toned output. You Want it Darker is quite a unique album. I’m sort of torn on it. On one hand, the mood it creates is amazing - I heard it on Steer Your Way from your EP but it absolutely permeates the whole album. On the other hand, a whole album of it gets… a bit much? After a while, his gravelly mumbling loses its novelty. The few songs that have more of a melodic richness to them - Treaty (and its Reprise), Travelling Light and Steer Your Way - have stuck with me and I find them quite captivating, but the rest all blend together and don't hold my interest quite so well.

Li-sa-X Band (sent by lonestar)
Well this band didn’t take very long to check out - they only made four songs and you included three of them on your EP. :lol For the avoidance of doubt, those three songs are still fantastic and the fourth is really good too, though the least good of the four so you made the right choice. That said, I figured I might as well check out a bit of her solo instrumental stuff too, to see what it was like, and the full-length she did (Will) was a pleasant surprise. As I may have mentioned one or eight times, I don’t tend to go for instrumental rock and metal often as it rarely has enough variety of sound or strength of melodic hooks. But, in the same way as Andy Gillion and Nuclear Power Trio, Li-sa-X bucks the trend with a really fun and enjoyable album full of great playing and catchy melodies.

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3646 on: May 09, 2024, 01:35:07 PM »
I thought I had mentioned it to you, her band changed name to Koiai, same two guitarist, different vocalist (Kotano of Ironbunny) and added the insanely talented Kanade Soto on drums. They got two eps out, Deep Indigo and Deep Love, both are solid, I prefer Deep Love, but definitely worth checking out. They both have that same pop vibe with a heavy leaning on guitar virtuosity.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3647 on: May 09, 2024, 01:36:38 PM »
Sounds great, yeah I haven't checked them out yet but they're in a separate Spotify folder for stuff to check out later on. You mentioned that they shifted further in a poppy direction but I'm completely fine with that - if it has the good hooks and the great guitar work then I imagine I'll enjoy it!

I be am boner inducing.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #3648 on: May 09, 2024, 01:53:51 PM »
Sounds great, yeah I haven't checked them out yet but they're in a separate Spotify folder for stuff to check out later on. You mentioned that they shifted further in a poppy direction but I'm completely fine with that - if it has the good hooks and the great guitar work then I imagine I'll enjoy it!

I think you will, they definitely lean more pop than a majority of the forum can handle, which is why I don't utilize them a lot here, but I won't deny blasting them in my car while singing along at full volume.....

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3649 on: May 10, 2024, 02:50:00 PM »
I was thinking of officially releasing my ep.  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3650 on: May 10, 2024, 02:52:45 PM »
I was thinking of officially releasing my ep.  :lol

On blood splattered vinyl

Offline Glasser

« Reply #3651 on: May 10, 2024, 02:55:09 PM »
On blood splattered vinyl

Yes! Maybe a Pizza Pie limited edition?  :lol

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3652 on: May 10, 2024, 03:03:47 PM »
Give the people what they want.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #3653 on: May 10, 2024, 03:07:42 PM »
I love that Kyuss record but I agree it's not for everyone. Stoner rock does have that immersive quality to it, I wonder why :neverusethis: