Author Topic: Triumph?  (Read 3811 times)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
Triumph?
« on: September 30, 2011, 08:50:59 PM »
So, I was watching a VH-1 Classic broadcast of the Us Festival from 1983 (which I originally heard live on the radio!), and saw Triumph perform a couple of tunes.  Which reminded me of how much I love "Lay it on the Line".  I had a K-Tel metal compilation cassette that had that tune on it back in the 80s, and I always meant to track down more Triumph, but never got around to it.

So, where should I start?

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
Re: Triumph?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011, 10:03:31 PM »
I like most everything Triumph did, minus the last album that Rik Emmet wasn't on, but if you want to grab what I consider their best albums, get Just A Game, Progressions of Power, and Allied Forces. They really started hitting their stride on Just A Game, Progressions Of Power is arguably their heaviest album, and Allied Forces is a classic. Never Surrender and Thunder Seven are good too, but not to the level of the three I recommended. Their earlier albums are a bit unfocused, halfway between progressive rock and straight up heavy metal, but I have a soft spot for "Blinding Light Show/Moonchild" off their first album. First heard that on the American issue of Rock And Roll Machine, which was actually their self titled debut and the Canadian Rock And Roll Machine's best songs stuck on one album, and promptly fell in love with it.

If I had to recommend just one-Allied Forces. That album's a MONSTER.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline AngelBack

• I'm officially a lard......
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Why you want beef with broccoli ?
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011, 10:07:24 PM »
Allied Forces for sure.  You may have heard Fight the Good Fight and Magic Power, which were amazing songs and actually rec'd some pop success but so many other good songs.  Rik Emmett was amazing on guitar and vocals.
But the arc of your life will still be profound

Offline jammindude

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011, 10:40:15 PM »
I am a BIG fan of "Hold On'....IMO, their best ballad.

I also tend to like Thunder Seven more than most.   Rock Out, Roll On....and the Time suite that begins side 2.   Brilliant.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011, 11:05:52 PM »
Allied Forces, Never Surrender, Thunder Seven and Just a Game are their four essential CDs to have.  All of them are really, really good. 

Rik Emmett is the best guitar player that no one talks about.  His skills are ridiculous.  We saw him do a solo show about 10 years or so ago and his playing was jaw-dropping.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:45:28 AM »
Allied Forces, Never Surrender, Thunder Seven and Just a Game are their four essential CDs to have.  All of them are really, really good. 

Rik Emmett is the best guitar player that no one talks about.  His skills are ridiculous.  We saw him do a solo show about 10 years or so ago and his playing was jaw-dropping.

Great picks for albums Kev.  I go with Kev's suggestion ZirconBlue.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 07:00:10 AM »
I started with THunder 7, it's one of the most influential albums from my youth.
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 07:03:10 AM »

Great picks for albums Kev.  I go with Kev's suggestion ZirconBlue.

Ditto, and double ditto on Emmett's skills on the axe.  Painfully under-rated.

I actually have that 1983 Festival concert DVD.  Man, they were the other holy triumverant to come out of Canada.  In the early/mid 80s, I'd dare say they were as big as Rush.  Triumph was sticking with a guitar led sound that appealed to those that didn't like Rush's synth movement.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 07:05:34 AM »
A friend of mine, who is a few years older than me, saw Triumph a bunch of times back in the early 80s when they were in their prime, and has said that they were the only band at the time that could compete with Rush as far as kicking ass live and even said that their stage and light show might have actually been a bit better at the time.  It's too bad that they never recorded any of their shows back then that could now be released on a live DVD or something.  I remember him saying they did this really cool thing for Time Canon with all of the voices and whatnot as the introduction to Killing Time.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 07:39:40 AM »
Yeah, I saw Triumph on the Thunder 7 tour and The Sport Of Kings Tour.  Rik Emmett was a monster live.  So much energy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 08:56:58 AM »
A friend of mine, who is a few years older than me, saw Triumph a bunch of times back in the early 80s when they were in their prime, and has said that they were the only band at the time that could compete with Rush as far as kicking ass live and even said that their stage and light show might have actually been a bit better at the time.  It's too bad that they never recorded any of their shows back then that could now be released on a live DVD or something.  I remember him saying they did this really cool thing for Time Canon with all of the voices and whatnot as the introduction to Killing Time.

There's another concert DVD I have Triumph - A Night of Triumph Live.  Recorded 1987 in Halifax.  Holy moly the croud is hilarious to look at.  Great setlist though.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2011, 09:15:17 AM »
Yeah.  I believe that's The Sport Of Kings Tour when they added a second guitarist/keyboard player.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2011, 10:01:45 AM »
Can we please not speak of The Sport of Kings? :lol :lol

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2011, 01:24:18 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, guys.  I'm thinking of getting Just a Game first, and then picking them up chronologically from there.

Edit:  Looking through the albums on Amazon, I recognized the cover art for Thunder Seven.  I actually owned that on vinyl at one point, but I guess I didn't give it many listens, cause I can't remember anything about it.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 01:30:02 PM by ZirconBlue »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
I like the Sport of Kings (and most everything else), but I guess that should surprise no one.

I only ever bothered to pick up Classics and Stages (I'll probably pick up the King Biscuit and Us Festival shows at some point too) and I listen to those a lot. There's a fairly recent compilation disc that I probably need to get too.

A lot of my friends owned most of the Triumph albums so I never really thought I needed all of them. Never heard Edge of Excess, but that was the one without Rik.

A lot of what they did was very inspiring, genuine and positive to me (a lot like Rush in that way and I supposed that's not the only similar comparison) in my formative years.

I think I had the first few Rik solo albums, but I sold them back because I just wan't listening to them enough at the time.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2011, 09:26:57 PM »
I'm from Canada so Triumph is still played on a regular basis on the classic rock station I listen to.  I have all of Triumph's discs and believe they are a very underated band.  Starting with Allied Forces is a great start for sure.  But what I did, and what I would recommend, is starting with their best of disc "Classics" and going from there.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2011, 09:34:57 PM »
Edge of Excess isn't that bad actually.  Vocally, Gil taking on 100% of the duties didn't do Triumph any injustice.  They kinda missed the mark given the times of the industry in '93 (grunge taking hold), but it's a pretty good album from a rock purist standpoint. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2011, 07:09:39 AM »
Edge of Excess isn't that bad actually.  Vocally, Gil taking on 100% of the duties didn't do Triumph any injustice.  They kinda missed the mark given the times of the industry in '93 (grunge taking hold), but it's a pretty good album from a rock purist standpoint.

I need to listen to it again.  It's been a while.  BTW, the guitarist that took over for Ric also just filled in for Richie Sambora when he went into rehab this year on the Bon Jovi tour.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2011, 10:14:16 AM »
Do it!  Couple of good power ballads, and solid rock 'n' roll throughout.  Personally, I think it's almost as good as other early 90s rock albums like F.U.C.K., III Sides and Double Eclipse.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2021, 06:32:55 AM »
Cool.  If only I cared about vinyl.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2021, 02:21:47 PM »
Allied Forces Box Set coming this June
https://outsiderrock.wordpress.com/2021/03/18/triumph-allied-forces-rsd-box-set-for-2021/?fbclid=IwAR3b1gij0rcTFV-bj1eK3SexqYENlGTkVOEqjxaTMdeikSIu0A0jRbZIHPc

Cool.  If only I cared about vinyl.

Seriously!  Is this vinyl only?  I'd buy it in a heartbeat if it had modern media.

Anyone want to split the cost, keep the vinyl and send me everything else (along with a burned CD of the live material)?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 05:37:42 PM »
Mate it's a RSD release hence vinyl only  ;D
The live show isn't anything new been released many times over the years as an unofficial radio broadcast show.
https://www.discogs.com/Triumph-Tear-The-Roof-Off-Live-81/release/8305707

Offline gazinwales

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2022, 05:01:42 PM »
Interesting snippet of an interview with RE, mentioning he was asked to join, Asia, Boston and Damn Yankees.
Plus he considered himself only a sideman in Triumph...
https://youtu.be/C9dGsRn58t0

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2022, 05:10:28 PM »
Wow, very interesting! HUGE TRIUMPH fan from almost the beginning with "Just A Game" era!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2022, 05:23:22 PM »
Yay, another excuse to post my Rik Emmett pics for those new to the forum.  ;D

As most of you guys know, one of my best friends from High School got Rik Emmett to sing at his wedding..

with the groom, my buddy Dan

with The Lovely Mrs. TAC

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2022, 05:34:42 PM »
You definitely married up.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2022, 05:40:09 PM »
Don't we all?  Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
You definitely married up.

:lol

Don't we all?  Lol

I think every DTFer is guilty of marrying up. We provide hope for dorks everywhere!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2022, 05:43:13 PM »

They are probably the first band that comes to mind when I think of "underrated".

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2022, 05:43:42 PM »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2022, 05:45:52 PM »

They are probably the first band that comes to mind when I think of "underrated".

Their biggest problem was their inconsistency. Their insistence on Gil Moore singing really hurt them, not to say that he didn't sing a bunch of awesome tunes. But give him maybe two vocals on an album instead of half.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2022, 06:52:35 PM »
TAC, when I first glanced at the photos I thought you were Canada's PM, Justin Trudeau  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2022, 07:00:30 PM »
TAC, when I first glanced at the photos I thought you were Canada's PM, Justin Trudeau  :lol

Now he looks like a low hanging sack.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2022, 07:03:29 PM »

Now he looks like a low hanging sack.

Trudeau or TAC?  :rollin