114 (66.7%)
No
11 (6.4%)
Not their best, not their worst
37 (21.6%)
John Myung
9 (5.3%)

Total Members Voted: 165

Author Topic: Do you like Octavarium?  (Read 15046 times)

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
Do you like Octavarium?
« on: December 24, 2010, 07:27:25 PM »
Lets stick to the rules, k?

No bashing, just be respectful.

I was listening to it all the way through for the first time in a while, and still dont know that to think. Kinda cool, though.
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Do you like Octavarium?
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2010, 07:30:01 PM »
The album or the song? I assume you mean the full album, but I'm not sure. At any rate, I like both quite a lot.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2010, 07:31:30 PM »
the entire album is a musical masterpiece in my eyes. although i walk beside you is probably the albums low point for me (i still think the song is great though)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2010, 07:32:26 PM »
With a resounding "YES!". That album was the first new studio release after I became a fan and it blew me away - the songs, the ideas, the artwork, the whole package was just amazing. Each song was different but definitively Dream Theater, and there's been no album like it from them since, so it stands pretty alone and is quite unique, even among albums by some of my other favorite bands! Definitely ranks up there with IAW and SFAM for me.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 07:32:48 PM »
Kevin Moore
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline dethklok09

• Mike
  • Great band
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 07:34:54 PM »

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2010, 07:36:12 PM »
it is prob my 2nd fav (after SFAM).  the songs are so perfect for me

Offline BanksD

« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 07:38:40 PM »
I love the album (and the song for that matter. In fact, I think Octavarium was the first DT song i ever heard.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2010, 07:54:51 PM »
Octavarium is my favorite DT album, so yes.

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2010, 08:41:14 PM »
Indeed.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2010, 08:42:56 PM »
A HUGE YES!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2010, 08:43:25 PM »
I like a couple of tracks from the album but, overall I've never been able to get into the whole album. Infact, I'm much more liable to listen to any other DT album including WDADU than Octavarium. I don't hate it. It just hasn't ever clicked with me. I kind of feel the same way with Black Clouds but, not to the same extent.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2010, 08:50:57 PM »
If you take out Octavarium the song, it would have been an excellent album for me with only Panic Attack as a filler....But with 8V and PA as filler songs and constitute about 30% of the album, then the album definitely moves down in my list.

But this album contains one of my all-time favorite DT songs: These Walls. I love the whole thing about it: the lyrics, the melody, MP's tasteful drumming, JP's Gilmouresque guitar solos, and even JR's keyboard lead. I also like the lyrics as well...A very underrated DT song IMO

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2010, 08:51:44 PM »
Album: Mid-tier

Song: God-tier

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2010, 08:57:41 PM »
Kind of a pointless poll, 8VM (song and album) are amazing.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2010, 09:11:22 PM »
If you take out Octavarium the song, it would have been an excellent album for me

WAT

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2010, 09:12:55 PM »
look at my name
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2010, 09:15:21 PM »
If you take out Octavarium the song, it would have been an excellent album for me

That's like saying taking Metropolis and Learning to Live out of I&W. Or 6DOIT out of 6DOIT. Or even Kevin Moore being open! This would be a good time to break out into TCOT, but I'm just too baffled.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2010, 09:17:20 PM »

WAT

Yeah, wat?

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2010, 09:18:18 PM »

That's like saying taking Metropolis and Learning to Live out of I&W. Or 6DOIT out of 6DOIT. Or even Kevin Moore being open! This would be a good time to break out into TCOT, but I'm just too baffled.
Now, wait a minute man

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »
Octavarium was the first complete DT album I hearers when I was a fledgling fan.  I discovered it during one of the lowest, most miserable times in my life, and I became obsessed.  I'd listen to it every night, over and over.  The emotional power behind the lyrics, the vocal delivery and the musical compositions themselves was something I'd never come across before.  I could not stop listening to it, and I think it helped keep me sane.

In the years since then, I've discovered a lot more music,  some of it better and some of it more emotional.  But I still love Octavarium, and I think I always will.

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2010, 09:27:12 PM »
Great CD. About half of their other CDs blow it away completely though.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2010, 09:29:06 PM »
Don't get me wrong guys, I love the Count of Tuscany, but 8V feels forced to me...I do like the live version more than the studio but other than that, it just doesn't do it for me.

Now to say that it's like saying taking LtL or 6DoIT out of that album...I mean WTF guys! I love those songs. I just don't like 8V the song....The loong intro kills it for me, the medicate me section is great, the section where all the musical references are told I just find it boring and forced, the outro is ok...

Simply put, 8V the song, is not my cup of tea.

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »

How do you live with yourself knowing that?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2010, 09:32:15 PM »
Don't get me wrong guys, I love the Count of Tuscany, but 8V feels forced to me...I do like the live version more than the studio but other than that, it just doesn't do it for me.

Now to say that it's like saying taking LtL or 6DoIT out of that album...I mean WTF guys! I love those songs. I just don't like 8V the song....The loong intro kills it for me, the medicate me section is great, the section where all the musical references are told I just find it boring and forced, the outro is ok...

That's weird, but your opinion, but it is clearly the epic of the album like 6 Degrees and LTL.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2010, 09:34:55 PM »
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2010, 09:35:16 PM »

That's weird, but your opinion, but it is clearly the epic of the album like 6 Degrees and LTL.

True, but I can understand not liking every single epic the band does on every album. I mean I like their epics/long songs, I'm a sucker for long songs, but I can understand someone liking some and not others, they're all pretty different, and I think that's a testament to how good and varied the band can be - not every epic is the same (i.e. here's an overture, here's some themes that get repeated a few times, here's the grand finale, there's some orchestral sounds, etc. etc.). They're all different and obviously can cater to different tastes... and one of the reasons I love this band!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2010, 09:37:49 PM »

How do you live with yourself knowing that?

By listening to the other DT songs I love   :metal

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2010, 09:48:24 PM »
Probably my 2nd favorite DT album. I love "These Walls," it has such a wonderful melody, and the feeling you get whilst listening to it is great. Incredible album.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2010, 10:05:56 PM »
Octavarium has been for a long time my favourite DT album. This has not changed.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2010, 10:10:12 PM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2010, 10:12:21 PM »
On my recently-updated listing of Dream Theater's songs, Octavarium ranks 20th. With respect to albums, Octavarium ranks second-last.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline juice

• om nom nom
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2010, 12:03:16 AM »
Their best song and probably my 4th favorite album but still its a very good album.

Offline Jamariquay

• When in Rome...
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2010, 12:16:04 AM »
Octavarium's okay, I enjoy listening to the album all the way through. With respect to the individual songs, Sacrificed Sons is great. Panic Attack is a fun metal song, as is Root Of All Evil, though to a lesser extent. Never Enough is fine, the lyrics don't really bother me. These Walls is almost there.... the Linkin Park homage/ripoff (Lying From You on Meteora) is a bit wacky though. I Walk Beside You and The Answer Lies Within are both meh, but neither really bothers me.

Finally, I actually agree with Mr. Goo-goo here. Octavarium the song is.... not my favorite epic, for exactly the reasons he listed. I still like it, but for me, The Count Of Tuscany blows it out of the water. I trust I didn't ruin anyone's Christmas.

*Goes looking for my How To Ruin Christmas kit*

Offline j

« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2010, 01:22:39 AM »
I wouldn't say I dislike the album, it's just not that great to me.  I haven't listened to it in a long time.

I really like Octavarium the song, but it doesn't measure up to DT's other juggernauts.  Some brilliant stuff in there though.

Merry Christmas, guys!

-J