Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 385529 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2275 on: August 18, 2016, 10:01:00 PM »
I hope there's an acoustic piece, even if it's just a section. The intro do Fight Fire, the intro to Battery, Unforgiven, the intro to To Live is to Die, Mama Said, James can do some really cool acoustic stuff but it seems Metallica is "MELLOW IS BAD FAST IS GOOD" recently, which I'm hoping they change up. Metaliica are amazing at melody.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #2276 on: August 18, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »
I hope there's an acoustic piece, even if it's just a section. The intro do Fight Fire, the intro to Battery, Unforgiven, the intro to To Live is to Die, Mama Said, James can do some really cool acoustic stuff but it seems Metallica is "MELLOW IS BAD FAST IS GOOD" recently, which I'm hoping they change up. Metaliica are amazing at melody.

The problem is they USED to be able to meld melody with the fast and thrashy stuff and make it so awesome. The Black Album onward its been either or (or neither) mostly (IMO).

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2277 on: August 18, 2016, 10:09:05 PM »
Pretty meh song really, I can see myself skipping this every single time if the rest of the album is better.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2278 on: August 18, 2016, 10:09:38 PM »
I hope there's an acoustic piece, even if it's just a section. The intro do Fight Fire, the intro to Battery, Unforgiven, the intro to To Live is to Die, Mama Said, James can do some really cool acoustic stuff but it seems Metallica is "MELLOW IS BAD FAST IS GOOD" recently, which I'm hoping they change up. Metallica are amazing at melody.

The problem is they USED to be able to meld melody with the fast and thrashy stuff and make it so awesome. The Black Album onward its been either or (or neither) mostly (IMO).

They don't even need to blend it with thrash. Have some thrashy stuff like whatever they just released, and also some really melodic stuff, as opposed to trying for a 95% thrash album with a small melodic section thrown in for no reason.

Black Album and Load had some incredible melodic songs.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 10:16:44 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2279 on: August 18, 2016, 10:16:08 PM »
I wonder if there's gonna be an instrumental on this one.

The radio guy asked Lars that on a facebook live chat earlier but Lars didn't wanna talk about details yet. I think if there was one her would have said yes.

I'm excited either way! New Metallica since 2010.

Since 2008 actually, 4 DT albums ago to put it in perspective :lol
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #2280 on: August 18, 2016, 10:18:12 PM »
I hope there's an acoustic piece, even if it's just a section. The intro do Fight Fire, the intro to Battery, Unforgiven, the intro to To Live is to Die, Mama Said, James can do some really cool acoustic stuff but it seems Metallica is "MELLOW IS BAD FAST IS GOOD" recently, which I'm hoping they change up. Metallica are amazing at melody.

They don't even need to blend it with thrash. Have some thrashy stuff like whatever they just released, and also some really melodic stuff, as opposed to trying for a 95% thrash album with a small melodic section thrown in for no reason.

Black Album and Load had some credible melodic songs.

I understand that but personally I loved the earlier stuff where they DID mix the melodic with the thrashy within an individual song. Black Album onward it tended to be either/or/neither it seems. I don't mind the thrashy or the melodic stuff they've done but I love when they blended them both epically.

Offline WebRaider

« Reply #2281 on: August 18, 2016, 10:24:29 PM »
With regards to the new song... I kinda like it and hope for even better on the new album. The chorus is weak and should have been worked on some more, I don't mind the rest of the lyrics so much. The drums aren't quite right but the production is so much better that I can forgive it on this tune. The guitar solo is not much but I suppose on this sort of straight forward type song it doesn't have to be; but could have been better. I sorta like the album cover but I don't tend to get too bent out of shape over that for my music.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2282 on: August 18, 2016, 10:25:12 PM »
Oh I totally get that, and I also agree that they likely just lost the ability to blend the two.

Given that, I'd appreciate a more even mix, and not just 95% thrash with some meh melodic stuff thrown in for no real reason.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2283 on: August 18, 2016, 10:38:00 PM »
The song sounds like a reject from DM. Very bland and forgettable, generic melodies, terrible lyrics.

As for the good, the performances are sounding solid, Het's vocals are as good as DM, the production is overall very good (although the vocals are too high and dry again), and the drum sound is improved. Kirk's solo isn't good, but it doesn't outstay its welcome.

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2284 on: August 18, 2016, 11:16:32 PM »
That's gotta be the worst kick drum sound I've heard in the last few years. Sounds like a really shitty trigger.

This so much.

Now, that said...it's still miles better than DM and SA. I only got a headache halfway through the song instead of twenty seconds in. But even so...that was by far the worst part of the song for me, and it was constant throughout its entirety.

I was wondering if it was just me but most people seem to like the drums (or at least don't mind them). I thought, other than the lyrics, that was the worst part.

I'm also apparently in the minority in that I love the album cover. But I suppose that won't help if I don't like the music.  :lol

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2285 on: August 18, 2016, 11:42:10 PM »
I hadn't actually seen the cover yet. That's um....... yeah...... :lol

Offline adace

« Reply #2286 on: August 18, 2016, 11:52:04 PM »
I like the cover  better than Death Magnetic's but that's not saying much.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2287 on: August 19, 2016, 12:29:01 AM »
I'm also apparently in the minority in that I love the album cover. But I suppose that won't help if I don't like the music.  :lol

I like the album cover, been looking at it a bit now trying to fully understand what's going on there, kinda trippy. Lars is the only face that doesn't intensely overlap with any other face. You can see at least 3 James faces and I'm not 100% sure if Rob is the guy on the left and Kirk on the right or vice-versa.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2288 on: August 19, 2016, 12:49:54 AM »
Pretty cool song actually, don't mind the album cover too.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #2289 on: August 19, 2016, 01:03:16 AM »
Pretty meh song really, I can see myself skipping this every single time if the rest of the album is better.

My thoughts exactly.

But this is a double album and something like 12(?) songs, so i'm sure there will be something i like.

But honestly, i think this thing is never going to live up to the hype.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2290 on: August 19, 2016, 01:15:58 AM »
Has the possibility of a double album been denied? If not, I may consider that, especially to make up for the wait & all. How good that would be would be up for debate though.
Another thing too, with all the hype this album has been getting, plus how Metallica is pretty much a household name at this point, would anyone else think it'd be a possible November/December release?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2291 on: August 19, 2016, 02:01:26 AM »
It's not really a double album. It's just packaged that way...

The run time is just under 80 minutes.

It's possible it was just a hair over a single CD and they didn't want any issues.

I like the idea of two discs anyway.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2292 on: August 19, 2016, 02:10:40 AM »
I don't see the point of making it a double album, but luckily it's not a proper double album.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2293 on: August 19, 2016, 02:12:36 AM »
I don't see the point of making it a double album, but thank god it's not a "legit" double album.

Yeah it was probably ever so slightly too long and they didn't want to trim anything.

I know it's been 8 years and god knows if we'll even get another album but I don't want another 160 minute Load/Reload type deal.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2294 on: August 19, 2016, 02:14:19 AM »
I don't see the point of making it a double album, but thank god it's not a "legit" double album.

Yeah it was probably ever so slightly too long and they didn't want to trim anything.

I know it's been 8 years and god knows if we'll even get another album but I don't want another 160 minute Load/Reload type deal.

Hardwired/ReHardwired
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2295 on: August 19, 2016, 02:15:50 AM »

Hardwired/ReHardwired

HardwiREd

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2296 on: August 19, 2016, 02:49:22 AM »
Has the possibility of a double album been denied? If not, I may consider that, especially to make up for the wait & all. How good that would be would be up for debate though.
Another thing too, with all the hype this album has been getting, plus how Metallica is pretty much a household name at this point, would anyone else think it'd be a possible November/December release?

:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

:clap:

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2297 on: August 19, 2016, 03:50:01 AM »

They didn't "compromise" like they did with Load, when they cut one minute or so from The Outlaw Torn. Imagine Load a double album with 7 songs each disc  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2298 on: August 19, 2016, 03:53:02 AM »
I would have been ok with that. Throw away disc 2, and you'd actually have a solid disc of music left!

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #2299 on: August 19, 2016, 05:09:00 AM »
What I'm confused about is that if it was going to be a double album anyway, why not just include Lords of Summer?

(or maybe they did under a different name idk)
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2300 on: August 19, 2016, 05:12:59 AM »
It's on the third disc.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2301 on: August 19, 2016, 05:14:26 AM »
I just realized that even if the album is only around 80 minutes of music for the 12 songs, that's an average song length of close to 7 minutes, and probably longer songs than that given they've already revealed a 3 minute song.
Now I'm concerned it's going to be full of the same bloat and unnecessary instrumental sections that bogged down DM.

Online MirrorMask

« Reply #2302 on: August 19, 2016, 05:34:10 AM »
What I'm confused about is that if it was going to be a double album anyway, why not just include Lords of Summer?

Indeed! I guess the rationale was that it was an year old song (or even two years old?) and they wanted all full, unedit material... but yeah, if you're gonna do a double album because of 2-3 minutes too much, just fill the discs since you're at it.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Prog Snob

• DT.net Veteran
  • In the end we're left infinitely and utterly alone
« Reply #2303 on: August 19, 2016, 05:43:33 AM »
I think the drums sound the best that Lars has had them sound this century, still needs improvement though.

I'm starting to think that my expectations ahve been lowered SO much by Death Magnetic and St. Anger (didn't like either) that I like this song simply for being better than them, but I have no real way of saying what I liked, other than the production improvement and mostly the fact that each member feels on top of their instrument and it doesn't sound like it's all going to fall apart like it did (to me) on DM.

Yea..........hoping the song writing is better on the other songs.

Also, since I didn't see anyone else bring this up, I really hope this short song is not a radio edit of an otherwise 6-8 minute song.

This is the full edit of the song.  It's this long on iTunes plus it's been confirmed by Metallica Staff on their Official Forum.

You post on other forums?  Blasphemer!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2304 on: August 19, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »
It's on the third disc.

Third disc of deluxe edition:
Lords Of Summer
Riff Charge (Riff Origins)
N.W.O.B.H.M. A.T.M. (Riff Origins)
Tin Shot (Riff Origins)
Plow (Riff Origins)
Sawblade (Riff Origins)
RIP (Riff Origins)
Lima (Riff Origins)
91 (Riff Origins)
MTO (Riff Origins)
RL72 (Riff Origins)
Frankenstein (Riff Origins)
CHI (Riff Origins)
X Dust (Riff Origins)

Anybody here knows if these "riff origins" songs are instrumentals with full band or just demo guitar riffs? Thanks!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2305 on: August 19, 2016, 07:21:32 AM »
I don't see the point of making it a double album, but luckily it's not a proper double album.

Probably want the sales numbers for selling a double album.  If it's under 80 minutes, there's no reason to make it a double album.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2306 on: August 19, 2016, 07:25:01 AM »

Probably want the sales numbers for selling a double album.  If it's under 80 minutes, there's no reason to make it a double album.

I believe the cutoff is 100 minutes for it affecting sales numbers.
They're releasing it on their own label, so they can probably do what they want. A regular label likely would have made them trim the extra minute or whatever, or cut a track and made it a digital only bonus track.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2307 on: August 19, 2016, 07:26:56 AM »

I believe the cutoff is 100 minutes for it affecting sales numbers.
They're releasing it on their own label, so they can probably do what they want. A regular label likely would have made them trim the extra minute or whatever, or cut a track and made it a digital only bonus track.
Oh, didnt know that.  Cool.  Whatever, I download albums these days so disc1/2 doesn't mean much anymore, I just don't understand the wastefulness.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2308 on: August 19, 2016, 07:38:44 AM »
I understand that but personally I loved the earlier stuff where they DID mix the melodic with the thrashy within an individual song. Black Album onward it tended to be either/or/neither it seems. I don't mind the thrashy or the melodic stuff they've done but I love when they blended them both epically.

Yes. Really this is what made RTL and MOP so great, the idea that a band could be brutally heavy and thrashy but still incorporate a great sense of melody, groove, taste, and tack.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #2309 on: August 19, 2016, 07:41:37 AM »
Somewhere in the last 15-20 years Metallica lost their soul. Probably right around the time Jason left or one could argue when Cliff died. They seem to be making music and all of their decisions for the wrong reasons. I get that every band is a business but most bands put the music first. Metallica turned into a business and are putting the business in front of the music. I've lost a lot of interest in thrash over the years but when you compare Metallica to Testament, Megadeath, Anthrax, Slayer, etc. it's clear those bands are passionate about music. I can't say that for Metallica. Metallica is making new music to support the business. I'm like a lot of others that cut our musical teeth on Metallica and they'll always have a place in musical rotation but the obsession died several years ago and will never come back. I found myself just being irritated by them now. Watching the video I just kept thinking that it seemed like a parody of Metallica. Shame.