Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 385551 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2240 on: August 18, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »
Album is up on iTunes for Pre - Order. You can download the song now.

Offline NunoTenniscourt

• President of my uncle's Anti-Nepotism Organization
« Reply #2241 on: August 18, 2016, 02:57:24 PM »
Also, the swearing seems childish for some reason. Maybe I'm just getting old.  :D

Nah, you're not. I confess to being the absolute epitome of a "potty mouth" (in the right time and place, though, of course) but this just sounds silly.
It's like they're trying too hard to be edgy.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #2242 on: August 18, 2016, 02:58:27 PM »
I laughed for about ten minutes because the new Pokemon and this album are releasing on the same day. That fact alone is more metal than Metallica.

That said...it's kind of sad to think that I'm kind of just not into Metallica anymore. The song did nothing for me, and it wasn't like a "omigosh I am /valleygirlvoice SO OVER /valleygirlvoice this". But I was just indifferent. I agree with some others in that it was a bit boring, all too similar to Death Magnetic riffs and all around uninspired. I'm just kind of done with the thrash metal scene. Which is fine. Metallica got me into music, I listened to them religiously throughout my early teens into my college years and have seen 'em multiple times in concert; I definitely had my time with the dudes but with DM doing not much for me and this new song doing even less... It's just one of those sad things in life that isn't really sad, but cause nostalgia it is.

Anyway, I hope the album does well because it does "sound" (sonically) a whole shit ton better than the past couple albums.

Also still can't get over Poketallica day. No... Metallimon. Yes. November 18th. Metallimon day.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2243 on: August 18, 2016, 03:00:38 PM »
HARDWIRED...TO CATCH EM ALL

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2244 on: August 18, 2016, 03:04:25 PM »
That's gotta be the worst kick drum sound I've heard in the last few years. Sounds like a really shitty trigger.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: August 18, 2016, 03:06:20 PM »
That's gotta be the worst kick drum sound I've heard in the last few years. Sounds like a really shitty trigger.

Shitty kick sounds in modern metal are par for the course these days.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #2246 on: August 18, 2016, 03:10:29 PM »
It's alright.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2247 on: August 18, 2016, 03:13:06 PM »
The new song is...okay. I'll listen to the album when it comes out, but I doubt it'll have any staying power. As far as thrash is concerned, I'm much more excited for the new Testament record.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Online twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #2248 on: August 18, 2016, 03:14:49 PM »
At this point I will just be getting the new album because it's Metallica. I mean it is possible for 80's thrash bands to still be releasing relevant records, Megadeth and Testament are managing it just fine. It just sucks that Metallica, my favourite all time band, can't do it.

I think at the turn of the century they realised that for the first time they weren't relevant anymore. I honestly think this is what lead to St Anger, it was like a reaction to Iowa by Slipknot and metalcore. They wanted to show they could still be edgy. Unfortunately any attempt at them trying to be edgy nowadays just seems laughable. I wish it weren't true but that's how I see it.

Think they are stuck trying to recreate their vibe and pleasing the fans.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2249 on: August 18, 2016, 03:18:08 PM »
The new song is...okay. I'll listen to the album when it comes out, but I doubt it'll have any staying power. As far as thrash is concerned, I'm much more excited for the new Testament record.

Definitely, Testament, I think have the best back catalogue out of all the 80's thrash bands. They may not have had a Master of Puppets, Rust in Peace or Reign in Blood but they managed to release consistently good albums and stay relevant, IMO.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2250 on: August 18, 2016, 03:23:20 PM »
I'll buy the album.

I loved Death Magnetic once they bought out the iTunes remaster.

The production of the new song is great.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2251 on: August 18, 2016, 03:24:55 PM »
Fun little rocker - very typical Metallica but sounds well-produced for the first time in, what, 20 years? And it's energetic and entertaining. I'd have no interest in a whole album of that, but if it's a 12-song 2-disc album then there's plenty of scope for variety and songs that have more going on, so I'm cool with this as a single.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2252 on: August 18, 2016, 03:25:10 PM »
I don't mind that new song.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2253 on: August 18, 2016, 03:29:12 PM »
Fun little rocker - very typical Metallica but sounds well-produced for the first time in, what, 20 years? And it's energetic and entertaining. I'd have no interest in a whole album of that, but if it's a 12-song 2-disc album then there's plenty of scope for variety and songs that have more going on, so I'm cool with this as a single.

• Great Production √

• Vocal Harmonies

• Composed Solos

Also i want an album with a bit of everything. I even want some Reload style weirdness like Where The Wild Things Are and Carpe Diem Baby.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2254 on: August 18, 2016, 04:03:21 PM »
They sound younger here than they sounded 8 years ago in Death Magnetic. I'm getting this.

Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2255 on: August 18, 2016, 04:06:31 PM »
They sound younger here than they sounded 8 years ago in Death Magnetic. I'm getting this.

No Rick RUIN producing this time.

...What is it with Ricks ?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #2256 on: August 18, 2016, 04:09:14 PM »

No Rick RUIN producing this time.

...What is it with Ricks ?

Every single frame has so many things going on...

ont: It was alright, better than I expected even though that bar is set low after the last two albums. Haven't really listened to Metallica since the last album came out though. They were such a big part of my teenage angst rebellion phase, and I've never really gone back since. I might check out the album out of pure curiosity, but I'm hoping for some good reviews to encourage me. If this thing comes out and people say it's on par, or worse than the last 2, that will probably scare me away.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: August 18, 2016, 04:19:50 PM »
Sonically so far it sounds like the best thing they've recorded since Garage Inc Disc 1.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2258 on: August 18, 2016, 04:29:44 PM »
Not a bad song, but not too good either.  Yeah, it's fast and heavy, but the lyrics are embarrassing and Heltfield's delivery of them is not good (although having them phrased to where the words are talked at rapid fire pace doesn't help). 

And put me in the camp of those who think the drums sound terrible.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2259 on: August 18, 2016, 04:32:03 PM »
I think the drums sound the best that Lars has had them sound this century, still needs improvement though.

I'm starting to think that my expectations ahve been lowered SO much by Death Magnetic and St. Anger (didn't like either) that I like this song simply for being better than them, but I have no real way of saying what I liked, other than the production improvement and mostly the fact that each member feels on top of their instrument and it doesn't sound like it's all going to fall apart like it did (to me) on DM.

Yea..........hoping the song writing is better on the other songs.

Also, since I didn't see anyone else bring this up, I really hope this short song is not a radio edit of an otherwise 6-8 minute song.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2260 on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:00 PM »
I think the drums sound the best that Lars has had them sound this century, still needs improvement though.

I'm starting to think that my expectations ahve been lowered SO much by Death Magnetic and St. Anger (didn't like either) that I like this song simply for being better than them, but I have no real way of saying what I liked, other than the production improvement and mostly the fact that each member feels on top of their instrument and it doesn't sound like it's all going to fall apart like it did (to me) on DM.

Also, since I didn't see anyone else bring this up, I really hope this short song is not a radio edit of an otherwise 6-8 minute song.

This is the full edit of the song.  It's this long on iTunes plus it's been confirmed by Metallica Staff on their Official Forum.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2261 on: August 18, 2016, 04:44:58 PM »
New Metallica! All righty!
I like the album cover, I don't mind the title, I like most song names, I love that it's a double album with only 12 songs.
I don't like the new song, if it was on Death Magnetic it would have been the worse song on Death Magnetic. But it does sound like some of the faster songs on DM and I love DM btw.
I'm gonna bet that Hardwired is the shortest song on the album and that's not bad.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2262 on: August 18, 2016, 04:45:55 PM »

This is the full edit of the song.  It's this long on iTunes plus it's been confirmed by Metallica Staff on their Official Forum.

Awesome! Thanks :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #2263 on: August 18, 2016, 05:04:02 PM »
I can't have been the only one who thought of the Tenacious D battle with the devil when I heard that chorus:

"we're so fucked, shit out of luck" - come on guys, that's just silly. At least Tenacious D completed the silliness: "now I'm complete and my cock you will suck"

for those who have no idea what I'm talking about
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2264 on: August 18, 2016, 05:08:49 PM »
I'm so hard right now I can't even think. My favorite band is back. Sensory overload.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #2265 on: August 18, 2016, 05:17:15 PM »
Not bad, but generic as fuck.

Online twosuitsluke

« Reply #2266 on: August 18, 2016, 05:43:11 PM »

:rollin

Just seen this on Facebook.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2267 on: August 18, 2016, 06:19:38 PM »
I dunno why I think this might turn out to be a concept album, there's a good chance Metallica aren't even familiar with what that is, which is okay, so highly unlikely. But something about the double album and the song titles gave me that thought.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2268 on: August 18, 2016, 06:24:58 PM »
I liked it. Sounds like a much better My Apocalypse. The chorus' lyrics are kinda disappointing though. They remind me of Petrucci's "I wish I weren't so fucked!" on As I Am  :lol

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2269 on: August 18, 2016, 06:40:07 PM »
Hey man "I wish I weren't so fucked!" is the most DT lyric I ever related to heh

Offline 425

« Reply #2270 on: August 18, 2016, 06:44:56 PM »
It was alright. I'm not really a thrash fan and was hoping for them to move a little more toward a Black Album sound rather than further in the thrash direction. I'll hold judgment until the album comes out, though.

I do think the album title and some of the song titles are pretty bad. Particularly "ManUNkind."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline adace

« Reply #2271 on: August 18, 2016, 07:00:18 PM »
Besides the bad lyrics this is a pretty decent song. Nothing more, nothing less.

Offline ytsejam58

« Reply #2272 on: August 18, 2016, 09:04:48 PM »
It just sounds very simple. But hey! I'm excited either way! New Metallica since 2010. and honestly, I'm exciting for anything after a certain album that came out early this year... Not naming names because I have already talked to death about it and I'm tired.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2273 on: August 18, 2016, 09:26:12 PM »

Definitely, Testament, I think have the best back catalogue out of all the 80's thrash bands. They may not have had a Master of Puppets, Rust in Peace or Reign in Blood but they managed to release consistently good albums and stay relevant, IMO.

I'd argue that The Gathering is on the same level as those three. I doubt I'll ever tire of it.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2274 on: August 18, 2016, 09:58:00 PM »
I wonder if there's gonna be an instrumental on this one.