Author Topic: What if MP wants to come back now?  (Read 69417 times)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Re: What if MP wants to come back now?
« Reply #70 on: December 15, 2010, 08:59:29 PM »
Yeah, Howard's his dad.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #71 on: December 15, 2010, 09:28:49 PM »
We have no idea what Mike is going through (DT related or not), BUT, for the sake of this thread, I'll respond. When I think of Dream Theater, I think of 3 things:
1) Musical genius
2) Technical prowess
3) Michael Howard Portnoy

As much as I was so extremely hurt and pissed off at MP for leaving, and while I do feel doing an album NOT under Mike's control will be good for the band, I'd welcome him back RIGHT NOW with arms extended!

No matter who they have chosen to replace him, they are not, nor cannot be MIKE's equal. IMO, he is the greatest drummer I have ever seen and although he's made a few bad "choices" (leaving, dumb tweets and posts), he's still da man in my book!
Mike's middle name is Stephen

:rollin
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #72 on: December 15, 2010, 09:29:59 PM »
We have no idea what Mike is going through (DT related or not), BUT, for the sake of this thread, I'll respond. When I think of Dream Theater, I think of 3 things:
1) Musical genius
2) Technical prowess

As much as I was so extremely hurt and pissed off at MP for leaving, and while I do feel doing an album NOT under Mike's control will be good for the band, I'd welcome him back RIGHT NOW with arms extended!

No matter who they have chosen to replace him, they are not, nor cannot be MIKE's equal. IMO, he is the greatest drummer I have ever seen and although he's made a few bad "choices" (leaving, dumb tweets and posts), he's still da man in my book!

Well, that settles that! 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline The Dark Master

• Veteran of the Psychic Wars
« Reply #73 on: December 15, 2010, 09:44:31 PM »
1) Musical genius
2) Technical prowess

I agree completely.  However, Mike was, by his own admission, burnt out on Dream Theater, and I really do not believe that someone who feels like they are out of ideas and therefore has nothing meaningful to contribute creatively should be the one calling the shots.  In retrospect, there were three options for Mike and DT: 1) Mike could just lay back on the next album and let all the other guys write the music and lyrics while still remaining part of the band, 2) DT could take a break, or 3) Mike could take a leave of absence from DT.  Personally, I would have preferred the first option most of all because it would keep Mike in the  band while still allowing the other guys free reign to spread their creative wings, but it seems like MP couldn't have that.  He needed all or nothing, and now he's out of the band.  I totally understand why the rest of the band would want to go right back into the studio, with or without him.  The last album was #6 on Billboard; why on earth would they want to give up that kind of momentum just because one guy out of five is feeling burnt out?

Just to be clear, I feel for Mike Portnoy, I really do, and I am not blaming him for anything.  If he wasn't happy with DT, then he has every right to go find whatever it takes to make himself happy.  But there are four other careers on the line here, and they can't be expected to just sit around while Mike does some soul searching, especially when some of those members feel that they still have something worthwhile to contribute to future Dream Theater projects.  Ultimately, I think this will be best for both parties.  Mike gets his break and has time to reignite his creativity, and the other guys get the chance to play around a bit musically under less constraint then before.  If the next album is good, and Mike does return afterwords, then I hope that he respects the new balance of power in the band and doesn't try to just take over again.  He is a great band leader, no question, but I do very strongly feel that there is no reason why the others (mostly LaBrie, Myung and Rudess) can't have an important part in key band decisions as well.

Offline Daso

• A cultivator of dread
« Reply #74 on: December 15, 2010, 09:45:36 PM »
One thing that people tend to forget is the week that went by. This walk-out wasn't just at the spur of the moment; MP offered the hiatus, DT declined, MP said he'd quit, and then they gave each other a full week to think about it. After which both stood their ground. So, based on that I think there was quite a bit going on that would make both parties stand their ground.

rumborak

That's just another example of his control issue. I mean, think about it this way: He suffested the hiatus, the guys said "no, we have to keep going on". By chance, Portnoy could've said "if you go on I'll quit" only to push them towards the hiatus, but it was an unexpected call to recieve the "ok, quit, we'll get a new drummer". Most likely he thought "I'll give them a week for them to react properly" (more like "to react the way I want them to"), but he's out in the end.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #75 on: December 15, 2010, 11:33:14 PM »
In summary, Dream Theater is not Mike Portnoy. I for one am very interested what a new member can bring to the table. And if it's good, I'm happy to go along with DT 5.0.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: December 15, 2010, 11:37:17 PM »
5.0? More like 6.0. How dare you crap on Chris Collins like that.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #77 on: December 15, 2010, 11:48:13 PM »
MAJESTY YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!!!!

Offline JasonScandopolous

« Reply #78 on: December 16, 2010, 05:49:33 AM »
They did say that the door is always open for him to come back.

The door was wide open, but then a window broke or something, so who knows where we stand right now...

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #79 on: December 16, 2010, 05:57:58 AM »
The MP homepage and Facebook page has changed from "founding member and ex-drummer of Dream Theater" to ""founding member and drummer of Dream Theater"....strange..

Offline ricky

• say what now?
  • aka "the big nasty"
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2010, 06:04:27 AM »
are we ever going to learn who the new drummer is?
There is so little respek left in the world, that if you look it up in the dictionary, you'll find that it has been taken out.

Uncle Ricky wants YOU to show some respek

Offline nineaxe

« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2010, 06:11:33 AM »
The MP homepage and Facebook page has changed from "founding member and ex-drummer of Dream Theater" to ""founding member and drummer of Dream Theater"....strange..

Does this mean he's back in?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2010, 06:15:36 AM »
are we ever going to learn who the new drummer is?

Yeah, it's Jizmak Da Gusha.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline TheKillingHand

« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2010, 06:37:51 AM »

Does this mean he's back in?

I highly doubt it...but it is strange that he would change it

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2010, 06:54:13 AM »

Unbelievable. :facepalm:

Offline Pyroph

« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2010, 07:18:17 AM »
Honestly it's a little petty seeing all the comments about MP. Yeah, speak of his personality but after this long with the band who wouldn't be upset? At first everyone's up in arms about him leaving, and now everyone seems to hate him. People are acting as if DT/MP now are enemies and MP is all to blame. The thing I notice no one saying is the rest of DT. MP was the front man/person blamed in DT criticism. I'm not saying that he isn't to blame, but what stopped the rest of the members from arguing about it then? Sure, we don't know the full story, maybe they did argue, but the fact remains that they could have done something about it if they felt "constricted" by him.

As for MP rejoining DT, you don't build a band without friendship over all these years. Seeing posts condemning MP (the same people who would lavishly praise him if he was still in the band) are laughable. I myself would fully welcome MP back in the band. If things need to be changed, and seeing how this is being construed I can't imagine MP not realizing this, they will.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2010, 07:28:05 AM »

Unbelievable. :facepalm:
I think he just means "founding drummer." I thought the weirder change was "current touring drummer with A7X" to "he has also recorded &/or toured with Avenged Sevenfold."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2010, 07:29:11 AM »
What if MP wants to come back now?

:umno:

He pretty much made his bed on this one...
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2010, 07:32:28 AM »
Honestly it's a little petty seeing all the comments about MP. Yeah, speak of his personality but after this long with the band who wouldn't be upset? At first everyone's up in arms about him leaving, and now everyone seems to hate him. People are acting as if DT/MP now are enemies and MP is all to blame. The thing I notice no one saying is the rest of DT. MP was the front man/person blamed in DT criticism. I'm not saying that he isn't to blame, but what stopped the rest of the members from arguing about it then? Sure, we don't know the full story, maybe they did argue, but the fact remains that they could have done something about it if they felt "constricted" by him.

As for MP rejoining DT, you don't build a band without friendship over all these years. Seeing posts condemning MP (the same people who would lavishly praise him if he was still in the band) are laughable. I myself would fully welcome MP back in the band. If things need to be changed, and seeing how this is being construed I can't imagine MP not realizing this, they will.

Well first off, most of those bashing MP would probably bash him had he not left anyway.  Also it's true we don't know that relations were so tense or poor, but we do all know from comments and videos over the years that MP is a rather domineering individual, and by the looks of writing credits on their albums, kinda chokes the musical creativity of the band.

Offline SnakeEyes

• Conservative Ninja, yet not mute
« Reply #89 on: December 16, 2010, 08:38:18 AM »
There was an interview with one of the DT members..... I think it might have been Rudess, but I can't remember.  It was only posted in the past week or two.  Anyway, he (whichever guy it was) said that one of the reasons they chose to move on without Portnoy was because the "hiatus" kept getting longer.  First, it was push the album back.  Then, it was take a couple of months off.  Then, it was two years, then five years, etc.  Apparently, Portnoy kept lengthening the amount of time for the break and it concerned the other guys because they didn't want to just hang around, waiting for Portnoy to have his cake and eat it too, so to speak. 
Now that Obama has closed Gitmo, when will he turn his attention to the abuses and torturing of the onions that are used to make the angry whopper?

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #90 on: December 16, 2010, 10:30:47 AM »
The last bit of the DT bio on Road Runner

“We're in an amazing situation now, where we have complete creative freedom,” Portnoy concludes.  “We can make any kind of record we want, and know that fans and our label will support it.  We’re basically making records for ourselves and our fans, and not having to worry about what anyone else thinks.  It’s taken 24 years to earn that, but now that we have, it’s a great place to be.”
:'(

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #91 on: December 16, 2010, 11:13:01 AM »
I gotta say, I'd be hugely bummed.  Aside from the fact that it'd just be another massive chunk of needless MP melodrama, I like the future for both camps better this way.  I think I'll probably like DT-11 better than the last few albums, and I certainly like MP's side project stuff better than the recent DT material.  I think if he were to be announced the new drummer, I'd be both highly pissed off and highly disappointed. 

The one potential upside is the touring aspect, which I think MP greatly improves.  But then, I live in Dallas so why should I care. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #92 on: December 16, 2010, 11:13:33 AM »
I could see there being some sort of conflict over whether Mike left on his own or was kicked out. Perhaps there is some legal bickering around that having to do with their contract.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #93 on: December 16, 2010, 11:16:45 AM »
Sometimes I think DT knows drama better than DTF does. :lol

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: December 16, 2010, 11:25:18 AM »
The last bit of the DT bio on Road Runner

“We're in an amazing situation now, where we have complete creative freedom,” Portnoy concludes.  “We can make any kind of record we want, and know that fans and our label will support it.  We’re basically making records for ourselves and our fans, and not having to worry about what anyone else thinks.  It’s taken 24 years to earn that, but now that we have, it’s a great place to be.”
:'(

I feel like they found an soft spot, or a comfortable position. But now there is a new challenge for the DT guys.

And, I don't really wish to see MP back, and I want to know what the next album will be like without him.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #95 on: December 16, 2010, 11:51:02 AM »
I still can't believe anyone is seriously considering MP returning now a possibility. The other members have specifically said that they've chosen someone and that they're really excited about it.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #96 on: December 16, 2010, 11:55:45 AM »
"Surprise fans, it was Mike all along! Ain't that unexpected and cool? Do we win now?"

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #97 on: December 16, 2010, 11:59:54 AM »
I still can't believe anyone is seriously considering MP returning now a possibility. The other members have specifically said that they've chosen someone and that they're really excited about it.

People like to play pretend I guess.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #98 on: December 16, 2010, 12:14:41 PM »

People like to play pretend I guess.
I suppose.

I mean, technically it's a possibility. I just think the chances are so remote that it's not worth any more than maybe a brief mention.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #99 on: December 16, 2010, 12:22:16 PM »
The thing about MP's site changing his bio could mean one of two things:

1) Mike Portnoy is rejoining Dream Theater
2) Mike Portnoy is taking Dream Theater name and thus, he WOULD (have been) the one and ONLY drummer for Dream Theater, and if the band including Petrucci/Myung/Rudess/LaBrie/(Drummer) would be forced under a new name, the statement that "Mike Portnoy is the drummer for Dream Theater" would technically be correct.

The second scenario would explain why the website is down...perhaps there is fighting over the name, so the first thing to go would be the website as changes are being made to resolve both the name-dispute and the new drummer announcement.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #100 on: December 16, 2010, 12:25:34 PM »
I don't know, the grammar of the statement on his site is still correct. He is the founding member and drummer of DT. "Founding" applying to both member and drummer, though I can't say it the most clear way to state it if he's no longer in the band. It would be really low of Mike to try and keep the name. JP and JM have just as much claim to it as he does.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #101 on: December 16, 2010, 12:28:03 PM »
I don't know, the grammar of the statement on his site is still correct. He is the founding member and drummer of DT. "Founding" applying to both member and drummer, though I can't say it the most clear way to state it if he's no longer in the band. It would be really low of Mike to try and keep the name. JP and JM have just as much claim to it as he does.

Right, but I'm pretty certain it once said "ex-drummer". Also, the change in his status with A7X is a bit odd as well.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #102 on: December 16, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »

Well I guess in his defense, it was his dad who came up with the name.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #103 on: December 16, 2010, 12:29:42 PM »
Yeah but I don't think 1) the rest of the band would be so excited about the new drummer, and 2) he would be posting about how sad he was.

He probably just doesn't like how "ex-drummer" looks.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Metabog

• Life Inhibitor
  • I like big biquads and I cannot lie.
« Reply #104 on: December 16, 2010, 12:30:13 PM »

Yes, but the previous one was also correct, why would he actively change it?