Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 696911 times)

Online Lupton

Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #4725 on: May 10, 2021, 03:21:35 PM »
Jeez, you certainly can tell it was EPICVIEW who crunched those member number ratings.  :lol

He's deeply invested...   :lol

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #4726 on: May 10, 2021, 03:27:34 PM »
Worst cast scenario...  You have to hold your book back to write the new last chapter you never wanted to write.

Nope. No pushing it back. We are so far ahead in the process (we're done writing, just editing now), if we had to write some copy on whatever thing Scott is doing, it won't be a big deal. I'm hoping we can unveil the cover next month, pre-orders for July (both through the website and stuff on Amazon, etc.). But as for where we are, tomorrow I start editing the book's eighth chapter (the RFO era). So that's your up-to-the-day update.  :lol

re: Rockenfield

My fear is this will turn into a Scott Rockenfield's Queensryche thing, ala Bobby Blotzer's Ratt. Just Rockenfield and a bunch of others. That's just speculation. But I sincerely hope that's not the avenue he's going. But if you look, Queensryche has gigs booked, Tate has gigs booked...so I don't see a reunion with either of those parties. As for Chris, I think everyone can see pretty clearly now that he likely wants nothing to do with current QR, Tate, or Rockenfield.

Such an absolute shame and a mess.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4727 on: May 10, 2021, 05:28:29 PM »
Jeez, you certainly can tell it was EPICVIEW who crunched those member number ratings.  :lol

He's deeply invested...   :lol

Indeed.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4728 on: May 10, 2021, 07:12:09 PM »
That scoring system is silly. 

As far as picking a lineup, it depends.  I mean, are we talking about in terms of our favorite musical output during their prime?  I'd go with the classic lineup in a heartbeat.  Are we talking about current abilities?  If so, I'd probably go with the current lineup.  I mean, it's tempting to want Scott back in at drums and Chris back in on guitar.  But Scott seems to have gone off the deep end, and I'm not even sure has the desire and motivation do justice to the music, new or old.  And I think we all know that, although Chris's head seems screwed on right, wherever his head is, it isn't in making music with QR.  And Parker is really great at fitting both their classic sound and their modern sound.  So honestly, while the current lineup may not feel "ideal," it is probably the best version of Queensryche possible at the present time.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4729 on: May 10, 2021, 07:13:19 PM »
  So honestly, while the current lineup may not feel "ideal," it is probably the best version of Queensryche possible at the present time.

Their output has been excellent.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4730 on: May 10, 2021, 07:15:16 PM »
Make your own REAL Queensryche : Your kit includes figurines with point totals attached , Keep small plastics figurines  away from small children due to choking fears

Mix and Match    be the first on your block to WIN!

Geoff Tate: 10

Chris DeGarmo : 5

Scott Rockenfield: 3

Ed Jackson: 2

Michael Wilton : 3

Kelly Gray :  2

Mike Stone: 2

Todd Latorre: 3

Parker Lundgren : 2

Scott Moughton: 2

Casey Grillo: 0

:rollin :rollin

I'm going to buy the Color Form version.

Who the hell is Scott Moughton and how is he more points than Casey Grillo?
Apparently, he's a Seattle guitarist who played on Tate's 2002 solo album, falsely claimed to be a part of QR and, in 2008, was sentenced to 6 years in prison for 10 counts of ID theft and forgery-related charges.  Should be a "0", too.

hes been touring with Tate on and off and is very talented,  has more QR cred than Casey

I don't think someone who has never been in QR can have more cred than someone who has been playing with them for years.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4731 on: May 10, 2021, 07:49:56 PM »

I was trying to dance around it but you just went there.   :lol  yeah, it's dumb.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4732 on: May 10, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »
Honest scoring system

Tate: 6

DeGarmo: 8

Wilton:6

Jackson: 4

Rockenfield: 4

TLT: 4

Everyone else : ZERO

That still gives the current official QR the scoring edge.

/discussion
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Online Lupton

« Reply #4733 on: May 10, 2021, 09:33:42 PM »

I was trying to dance around it but you just went there.   :lol  yeah, it's dumb.

It's divest of merit.  ;)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4734 on: May 10, 2021, 09:41:03 PM »

It's a travesty to be honest.

Online Lupton

« Reply #4735 on: May 10, 2021, 09:45:20 PM »

Nice one!  :laugh:

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4736 on: May 10, 2021, 10:41:05 PM »
Make your own REAL Queensryche : Your kit includes figurines with point totals attached , Keep small plastics figurines  away from small children due to choking fears

Mix and Match    be the first on your block to WIN!

Geoff Tate: 10

Chris DeGarmo : 5

Scott Rockenfield: 3

Ed Jackson: 2

Michael Wilton : 3

Kelly Gray :  2

Mike Stone: 2

Todd Latorre: 3

Parker Lundgren : 2

Scott Moughton: 2

:rollin :rollin

I'm going to buy the Color Form version.

Who the hell is Scott Moughton and how is he more points than Casey Grillo?
Apparently, he's a Seattle guitarist who played on Tate's 2002 solo album, falsely claimed to be a part of QR and, in 2008, was sentenced to 6 years in prison for 10 counts of ID theft and forgery-related charges.  Should be a "0", too.

hes been touring with Tate on and off and is very talented,  has more QR cred than Casey

I don't think someone who has never been in QR can have more cred than someone who has been playing with them for years.

a very valid point Boss,,,,,  we will have to refer to the field judges and replay booth  ,,, LOL
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4737 on: May 10, 2021, 10:43:56 PM »
My score:

Geoff Tate: ∞

Chris DeGarmo: 2

Musicians friends of Geoff Tate : 1

Musicians unfriends of Geoff Tate: - 1

It seems objectively reasonable.   :)

You used New Math   so be it  LOL   
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4738 on: May 10, 2021, 10:49:42 PM »
Honest scoring system

Tate: 6

DeGarmo: 8

Wilton:6

Jackson: 4

Rockenfield: 4

TLT: 4

Everyone else : ZERO

That still gives the current official QR the scoring edge.

/discussion

the only flash point is Chris   Most were down on him when he left and as we see his music when he feels motivated is grungy folksy  I dont see him ever returning , I see your point as far as a draw and interest it would be amazing and he was the leader musically before leaving

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4739 on: May 10, 2021, 10:54:40 PM »

As far as picking a lineup, it depends.  I mean, are we talking about in terms of our favorite musical output during their prime?  I'd go with the classic lineup in a heartbeat.  Are we talking about current abilities?  If so, I'd probably go with the current lineup.  I mean, it's tempting to want Scott back in at drums and Chris back in on guitar.  But Scott seems to have gone off the deep end, and I'm not even sure has the desire and motivation do justice to the music, new or old.  And I think we all know that, although Chris's head seems screwed on right, wherever his head is, it isn't in making music with QR.  And Parker is really great at fitting both their classic sound and their modern sound.  So honestly, while the current lineup may not feel "ideal," it is probably the best version of Queensryche possible at the present time.

I agree that Toddryche is the most polished unit but Tates been coming on strong,,, me I love the underdog   so Im pulling for the NEW SCOTTYRYCHE.  I want 3 QRS   Im greedy LOL 

Offline eric42434224

• Wilson
« Reply #4740 on: May 10, 2021, 11:00:17 PM »

It's a shamockery.
Oh shit, you're right!

rumborak

Rumborak to me 10/29

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4741 on: May 10, 2021, 11:09:57 PM »

The math was roughed out over a turkey club sandwich,,,, Science at all costs

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #4742 on: May 11, 2021, 12:14:15 AM »
...and make him look childish IMO.

Quite...

"R ya READY TO F***in' ROCK !!!?? ....I AM !!!!!!! -- bruhahahha..."

He's nearly 60.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #4743 on: May 11, 2021, 06:59:30 AM »

It's a shamockery.
You need to harvest the last vestige eric42434224!
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #4744 on: May 11, 2021, 07:06:38 AM »
A scoring system should count the official albums each member has appeared on.

MP and Charlie Dominici for DT should count 11. And that is still wrong 'cause obviously Dominici was with MP in the band so his album overlaps with one of MP's ten.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline ozzy554

« Reply #4745 on: May 11, 2021, 07:30:29 AM »
...and make him look childish IMO.

Quite...

"R ya READY TO F***in' ROCK !!!?? ....I AM !!!!!!! -- bruhahahha..."

He's nearly 60.

The part that's puzzling me the most is the evil laugh at the end.
Do you read Sutter Cane?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4746 on: May 11, 2021, 07:52:19 AM »
*IF* this is a 3rd QR (I hope not) then he’s completely delusional.

It would have been bad enough if he had tried it before Geoff did. But if you don’t recognize that your dwindling fan base has already lost tons of respect for “the brand” because of drama, and subsequently decide to create MORE drama, then you have no business being in the music business.

This is either tone deaf or vindictive (I.e. purposefully trying to undermine TLT/MW/EJ). Either way, it’s distasteful and deeply disappointing.

But if it is hinting that he’s just returning to the fold, then cancel everything I just said

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #4747 on: May 11, 2021, 08:10:34 AM »
*IF* this is a 3rd QR (I hope not) then he’s completely delusional.

It would have been bad enough if he had tried it before Geoff did. But if you don’t recognize that your dwindling fan base has already lost tons of respect for “the brand” because of drama, and subsequently decide to create MORE drama, then you have no business being in the music business.

This is either tone deaf or vindictive (I.e. purposefully trying to undermine TLT/MW/EJ). Either way, it’s distasteful and deeply disappointing.

But if it is hinting that he’s just returning to the fold, then cancel everything I just said

This. I am really hoping that this is simply his (admittadly weird) way of saying, "hey, guys...I'm back!"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4748 on: May 11, 2021, 08:23:19 AM »

This. I am really hoping that this is simply his (admittadly weird) way of saying, "hey, guys...I'm back!"

But he wouldn't have built a website for this. Why the website? I'm thinking it's some sort of band. Maybe Scott Rockenfeld's Queensryche? Kind of like Great White (Jack Russell's GW). Scott has a website for his scoring and Rockenwraps. I'm not sure if he still does this though.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4749 on: May 11, 2021, 08:47:33 AM »
It would be awesome if Scott does what Dave Grohl did and become the frontman of QR3

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #4750 on: May 11, 2021, 08:49:19 AM »
I'm preaching to the choir here, but it REALLY devalues a band's name when they "branch out" like that. Queensryche, LA Guns, Great White...it makes me not want to check out any of the iterations of these bands going forward.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4751 on: May 11, 2021, 09:05:25 AM »
I'm preaching to the choir here, but it REALLY devalues a band's name when they "branch out" like that. Queensryche, LA Guns, Great White...it makes me not want to check out any of the iterations of these bands going forward.

I dont think they care at this point.  the money will be made touring as none of them can survive on album sales.  sure does look like Tate got the best deal and cashed out at the right time in retrospect. 

what if Scott gets Tate back, and say Kelly and Stone and Tate can now tour under the QR name since Scott can use the QR name .  I love the drama and possibilities.  Id actually go see that,   I have to say I really thought Tates last few bands doing RFO and Empire etc sounded really good to my ears.  Toddryche is simply not for me and many others who just dont get the QR vibe on the new material they put out and feel its to contrived to sounds like the early QR , also Casey cost less to pay to tour than Scott would get , Its a real messy situation.

If Scott can bring that Moby , Lady GaGa feel to QR3  that would be really special  : )

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4752 on: May 11, 2021, 09:49:02 AM »
I imagine the possibility of how much crap Tate and Kelly can still do together!  :lol

All those pitiful records were not enough!

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4753 on: May 11, 2021, 10:08:54 AM »
I have to say I really thought Tates last few bands doing RFO and Empire etc sounded really good to my ears. 

I would love to hear these records with Todd. And this is where I think the current QR kind of shot themselves on the foot by not jumping ahead of Tate and touring the new stuff along with the old stuff. I get that the current lineup wanted to do their own thing. But imo, that was huge miss. And I give credit to Tate for capitalizing that. I hope I get to see Tate perform RFO and Empire once touring resumes.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4754 on: May 11, 2021, 10:10:12 AM »
I imagine the possibility of how much crap Tate and Kelly can still do together!  :lol

They sold about as well as Toddryche... many of us enjoyed those albums as we saw QR back in 82 and all the early tours and were fine with the journey into adults musically, Id find it sorta uncomfortable to "be kid again" and see Toddsryche screaming stuff on the old songs, it just feels stale and pathetic and not the QR evolution IMO

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #4755 on: May 11, 2021, 10:12:02 AM »
I have to say I really thought Tates last few bands doing RFO and Empire etc sounded really good to my ears. 

I would love to hear these records with Todd. And this is where I think the current QR kind of shot themselves on the foot by not jumping ahead of Tate and touring the new stuff along with the old stuff. I get that the current lineup wanted to do their own thing. But imo, that was huge miss. And I give credit to Tate for capitalizing that. I hope I get to see Tate perform RFO and Empire once touring resumes.

why would you want those songs that are from Tates mind to be performed by Todd?  may I ask  your age? Im 57 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4756 on: May 11, 2021, 10:13:24 AM »

This. I’m usually pretty forgiving and loyal once I get into an artist. I’m one of the biggest Lulu apologists on this entire forum. But QRs dysfunction has made Metallica seem downright normal. It’s like Metallica is a slightly controversial episode of Survivor, while QR went straight for Kardasian territory, and then when that burned to the ground, they doubled down into Tiger King territory. It’s just ridiculous at this point.

I’m honestly questioning whether anyone but Todd is actually interested in music at all.

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #4757 on: May 11, 2021, 10:14:50 AM »

why would you want those songs that are from Tates mind to be performed by Todd?  may I ask  your age? Im 57

I think Todd does relatively well with the old material.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4758 on: May 11, 2021, 10:19:34 AM »
I think TLT does better than ok. I’m 51, and I think TLT is not as good as Tate in his prime, but he’s worlds better than Tate today.

I don’t want to see TLT re-record the old stuff, but I do think they are slightly over focused on the “metal” side and not infusing enough of the melody or the creepy-ness of the old stuff.

Still it’s so much better than anything Tate has done in decades

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4759 on: May 11, 2021, 10:21:34 AM »

why would you want those songs that are from Tates mind to be performed by Todd? 

Can't speak for him, but my answer would be:  Todd can actually sing them and do them justice.  Tate cannot.  Tate's singing has gotten so bad, and his technique so wrong that it makes me physically uncomfortable listening to him.

EDIT:  Or what JD said.