Author Topic: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album  (Read 704468 times)

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Queensryche thread: Kickstart the next album
« Reply #6405 on: April 06, 2024, 08:44:55 PM »
Listening to HITNF from start to finish for the first time in many years. "Hit the Black" is such a killer song and would've been a better choice for an opener in my opinion. I always felt "Sign of the Times" was a bit of a mediocre mid-tempo song and gets the album off to a slow start. But "Hit the Black" would've busted the doors open. It would've been a great first single too. I think it would've done well on the radio.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6406 on: April 06, 2024, 09:29:48 PM »
I remember Sign of the Times being on Chicago's rock radio stations when the album came out.  At the time, I was familiar with the hit songs on Empire, but hadn't become a big fan of the band yet.  A kid in my gym class brought HITNF into class for the teacher to play on the stereo while we were running on the indoor track and that song sounded familiar.

But yeah, Hit the Black and Reach are the two most rocking songs on that album. 

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6407 on: April 06, 2024, 09:57:52 PM »
My personal favorite from the album is Some People Fly. But I like You, Reach and sp00L as well.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline WardySI

« Reply #6408 on: April 06, 2024, 10:33:16 PM »
Sign Of The Times
Cuckoo's Nest
Some People Fly
Saved
You
Spool
Hit The Black
Chasing Blue Sky

As it is I like it but those songs I think are good enough to have been up there with their best.  I mean not Mindcrime Rage kinda best but up there with some their best nonetheless  ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6409 on: April 07, 2024, 01:51:24 AM »
HITNF isn't that bad. Had it been cut down to eleven songs, it would have been pretty good, although different. Oh, and it should have had a better sound.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #6410 on: April 07, 2024, 04:31:12 PM »
I dust it off every so often wondering if I will change my opinion of it but no, it’s still a poor album. A few decent songs, stifled by shit production and mix.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6411 on: April 07, 2024, 04:37:13 PM »
To me, Hit The Black is by far the standout track on the album. I also love Anytime/Anywhere.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #6412 on: April 07, 2024, 10:29:40 PM »
Starts strong with Sign Of The Times and ends strong with spOOl, and has a lot of depressingly mediocre songs in between.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6413 on: April 07, 2024, 10:36:26 PM »
Sign of the Times, You and Hit the Black is about it for me from HITNF.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6414 on: April 08, 2024, 09:50:27 AM »
Love HITNF

I might be insane  but I like most of F U also  : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6415 on: April 08, 2024, 10:15:59 AM »
You, Hit the Black and Spool are great rock songs.  If HITNF was only 10 songs or so, it would be a lot better.  Chasing Blue Sky is also great.

Offline Samsara

• Queensrÿche Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #6416 on: April 08, 2024, 10:22:02 AM »
Listening to HITNF from start to finish for the first time in many years. "Hit the Black" is such a killer song and would've been a better choice for an opener in my opinion. I always felt "Sign of the Times" was a bit of a mediocre mid-tempo song and gets the album off to a slow start. But "Hit the Black" would've busted the doors open. It would've been a great first single too. I think it would've done well on the radio.

I agree on "Hit the Black." It's one of my favorites on the record. Probably second favorite after "spOOL."

HITNF isn't that bad. Had it been cut down to eleven songs, it would have been pretty good, although different. Oh, and it should have had a better sound.

I agree on this. I think that QR's experiment with HITNF is a good one. If you follow the band's songwriting arc, HITNF was the natural place to go after PL. They did not repeat themselves in the original form. Not ever. So for me, HITNF, as wide-eyed as I was when I first heard it, it made sense.

As the years have gone on, I've really appreciated Hear in the Now Frontier more and more. The guitar work is TREMENDOUS on the album. I mean, listen to the outro solo of "Hero." Listen to Whip absolutely go bonkers at the end of "spOOL" (it's buried in the mix). The record had a ton of potential. It would have gone Gold had EMI not gone belly up. "Sign of the Times" and "You" were doing very well on rock radio until EMI folded.

This is in the new book, but people have to remember how different the industry was in 1997. If you didn't have a label putting pressure on radio stations, you weren't getting played. If you didn't have label, you weren't getting tour support money. Remember, it's not like now, where bands really self-finance all their tours. Back then most bands got advances from the label to tour, and paid it back. And if your label goes belly up a month after your record is released, it's not going to do well.

I love Hear in the Now Frontier. I'm not saying I think it's one of QR's best albums. But I love it for what it is. A great experiment. Queensryche taking stock of what Soundgarden did on Down on the Upside, and capturing some of what was popular in the mainstream, and trying it. It worked for Empire. It WOULD HAVE worked on HITNF had the label been solvent. I really dig the record.

My top-5 from it:

spOOL
Hit the Black
The Voice Inside
Reach
You

I interviewed Toby Wright two years ago about his recording and mixing the album for its 25th anniversary. He didn't revisit the album prior to the interview, but he did provide a little bit more insight into how they tracked things. Check it out here:

https://roadstomadness.com/interviews/01-tw-bh-2022.pdf
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6417 on: April 08, 2024, 10:33:59 AM »
Love HITNF

I might be insane  but I like most of F U also  : )
Yes.  :lol
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6418 on: April 08, 2024, 10:38:33 AM »
Wolfster is a major FU fan.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6419 on: April 08, 2024, 10:42:09 AM »
Frequency Unknown could have been way, way better. They needed more time, and it was rushed. Everyone involved thought it was going to be a Tate solo record until he came in with the ridiculous artwork, and then the time crunch started.

In my mind, even though it says "Queensryche," to me, it's GT solo. Some good tunes in there too.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensrÿche (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6420 on: April 08, 2024, 12:00:57 PM »
When it comes to bands I like and I'm familiar with, I don't think I've heard a worse album in my lifetime.  ;D

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6421 on: April 08, 2024, 12:12:08 PM »
Yes.  :lol

LOL  ...  I like it because to me it was a snapshot of that moment. I find it shocking Tate was able to put it together so quickly and I do like the emotion on it   I hate what QR is doing with the EP Warning tour as its going backwards and living off Tate and Chris's art ..

but thats just me..  I KNOW I am the minority
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 06:05:46 PM by EPICVIEW »
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #6422 on: April 08, 2024, 12:42:36 PM »
LOL  ...  I like it because to me it was a snapshot of that moment. I find it shocking Tate was able to put it together so quickly and I do like the emotion on it   I hate what QR is doing with the EP Warning tour as its going backwards and living of Tate and Chris's art.   

but thats just me..  I KNOW I am the minority

Michael Wilton co-wrote 5 songs and is solely credited for Deliverance.  6 out of 9 songs on The Warning that he helped write.  On the EP, he wrote 2 out of 4 songs. 

I can understand your point since Geoff and Chris are so revered, but they held off on doing this for 12 years, given that they and Geoff now have played the full Mindcrime album relentlessly, and Geoff has played RFO and Empire in full as well.  They're touring on two records that Geoff hasn't touched much with his solo band. 

And I'm not a staunch defender of TLT or the current lineup in the slightest - they tend to aggravate me all the time when it comes to live representation of material, despite the fact that I enjoy the new music.

Offline Ced156

« Reply #6423 on: April 08, 2024, 12:53:03 PM »
HITNF is my biggest musical disappointment, ever. I still remember taking the bus after my afternoon IT course to buy the record the day it was released, I couldn't believe how bad I thought it was on the first listens. I don't care for the musical "vision" around a disc if the songs aren't there, melodies are weak, Tate's voice is ruined, the production is very low-value for QR standards... sPOOL and You are good songs, but that's it. Except for some of Pearl Jam albums, I never was into grunge/alternative hard rock, that may be the reason. Promised Land, on the contrary, is still pure gold to my ears, almost 30 years after.

EDIT : At this time I was into Savatage, and with the piano/keys on Lady Jane/Someone Else, I was hoping they would go into that direction.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6424 on: April 08, 2024, 02:24:49 PM »
Michael Wilton co-wrote 5 songs and is solely credited for Deliverance.  6 out of 9 songs on The Warning that he helped write.  On the EP, he wrote 2 out of 4 songs. 

I can understand your point since Geoff and Chris are so revered, but they held off on doing this for 12 years, given that they and Geoff now have played the full Mindcrime album relentlessly, and Geoff has played RFO and Empire in full as well.  They're touring on two records that Geoff hasn't touched much with his solo band. 

And I'm not a staunch defender of TLT or the current lineup in the slightest - they tend to aggravate me all the time when it comes to live representation of material, despite the fact that I enjoy the new music.

good post bro... I have my view on why Wilton got those writing credits, his  inability to write a song out of QR or on his own or a complete song confirms to me my view. but its so long ago its not worth going down that path again here as its long ago  I dont follow the current QR . has he written a complete song with the current lineup?  Ive always been disappointed with Wilton to be honest post Chris leaving, I did like him on a personal level .. nice enough fella for sure

I dont want Geoff to go backwards either., he can sprinkle in some oldies that the fans demand. I feel for Geoff he cant seem to please everyone.. if he doesnt sing the old stuff fans will crush him that he cant do it anymore and at his age anything he gives is sorta a gift.I like that Geoff likes to take chances and do slow ballads and unique stuff like he did on his solo stuff .
I saw some recent Youtubes of Geoff and I thought he sounded very good and his band had a full sound to them, I dont think they ever get back together

« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 02:40:09 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6425 on: April 08, 2024, 03:07:59 PM »
FWIW, the history of QR and songwriting is very nuanced.

In the early days, Wilton had a bit of a head start on DeGarmo. Wilton would write some cool riffs, put together some basic arrangements, and they'd go with that. Particularly on those EP tracks (which were written without Tate, for the most part), and then with The Warning, Chris started coming along more quickly as a writer, with Tate's penchant for prog pushing them in directions. As the years went on, DeGarmo started really becoming a complete songwriter, whereas Wilton sort of stayed in with his strengths - coming up with cool riffs and parts. For years, DeGarmo would help arrange those parts, and at times, allegedly not even take credit for doing that arrangement. Chris naturally became the main songwriter in the band. As someone once told me who was connected with them -- if you're Tate, are you going to gravitate toward the music writer who has complete song ideas? Or are you going to gravitate to the songwriter who just has a part or two? The answer is obvious.

So yes, Wilton is credited on a large amount of the EP and The Warning. He had some great songs, great solos, etc. But as QR evolved, Whip just focused on what he did best. Doesn't mean he's not a good songwriter. Of course he is. But I don't think he evolved as much as Chris did. At least not looking back at the catalog. If you look at the records with TLT, you can see Wilton is very involved again. But they made it a point of being way more collaborative. Also, unlike Tate, TLT can play guitar decently enough to write songs on his own and does. That helps when you're working with a guy like Wilton. If Whip has a killer riff, but not sure what to do with it, Tate couldn't make that into something (see "Murderer?" from OPMC II). BUT, today, La Torre CAN and has done that. And songs like that are credited as La Torre/Wilton.

To be frank, Queensryche is a much, much different entity than it was. It's much more collaborative now in terms of writing. La Torre/Jackson/Wilton are the writers, and when your singer is a guitarist and drummer, it makes it that much easier for a guitarist to get the singer to adapt to a cool part...because the singer can then take that guitar part and build it into something. Whereas when Tate was in the band, if Wilton came at him with a cool riff, that's cool, but Tate can't do anything with it musically to make it something to sing over.

That example of "Murderer?" is perfect. Bad ass metal riff. Tate loved it. But that's all Wilton had. Tate loved it so much he asked Jason Slater to make it something he could sing over. So Slater took it, and arranged it into an actual song.

That situation no longer exists, because the singer now is La Torre, who can take a cool riff from Wilton, and then write his own musical parts to sing over.

So all the talk about Wilton writing things -- he has, and does write cool stuff. But in the early days (EP) it was just very basic. DeGarmo was, IMO, the arranger to take Wilton's riffs and make them into something Tate could write over. It was the same when Kelly Gray was in the band, and same again when Slater was doing the writing. Nowadays, it's easier, because La Torre has abilities as music writer that Tate doesn't have.

Quote from: Ced156

HITNF is my biggest musical disappointment, ever. I still remember taking the bus after my afternoon IT course to buy the record the day it was released, I couldn't believe how bad I thought it was on the first listens. I don't care for the musical "vision" around a disc if the songs aren't there, melodies are weak, Tate's voice is ruined, the production is very low-value for QR standards... sPOOL and You are good songs, but that's it. Except for some of Pearl Jam albums, I never was into grunge/alternative hard rock, that may be the reason. Promised Land, on the contrary, is still pure gold to my ears, almost 30 years after.

EDIT : At this time I was into Savatage, and with the piano/keys on Lady Jane/Someone Else, I was hoping they would go into that direction.

Tates differ. I didn't "get" HITNF right away either. I got an advance cassette copy from a friend in...I want to say around mid-February 1997, about six weeks before the record dropped. I didn't get it. When the album got released and I bought the CD, I liked some, but didn't understand. But here we are, 27 years later, and year after year, I've gotten what they were trying to do more and more. Not overthink it, go off the cuff, and write a record more spontaneously. I think it's very cool. Too much filler, but cool. When DeGarmo returned for "Open," "Desert Dance," "Falling Behind," "Art of Life," "Doing Fine," and "Justified" from Tribe, you can hear the songs start to go a different direction again. Queensryche was the ultimate hard rock/heavy metal chameleon band back then.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6426 on: April 08, 2024, 04:39:19 PM »
HITNF is my biggest musical disappointment, ever. I still remember taking the bus after my afternoon IT course to buy the record the day it was released, I couldn't believe how bad I thought it was on the first listens. I don't care for the musical "vision" around a disc if the songs aren't there, melodies are weak, Tate's voice is ruined, the production is very low-value for QR standards... sPOOL and You are good songs, but that's it.

That's pretty much how I responded to HITNF too.

Tates differ.

Yep  ;D
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6427 on: April 08, 2024, 05:20:56 PM »
I was definitely disappointed in HITNF, but at least I could see what they were going for. The same cannot be said for their previous album.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6428 on: April 08, 2024, 05:21:42 PM »
I was definitely disappointed in HITNF, but at least I could see what they were going for. The same cannot be said for their previous album.

You mean their masterpiece?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6429 on: April 08, 2024, 05:34:07 PM »
Wolfster is a major FU fan.

Uh........yeah, sure am.  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6430 on: April 08, 2024, 06:04:12 PM »
FWIW, the history of QR and songwriting is very nuanced.

In the early days, Wilton had a bit of a head start on DeGarmo. Wilton would write some cool riffs, put together some basic arrangements, and they'd go with that. Particularly on those EP tracks (which were written without Tate, for the most part), and then with The Warning, Chris started coming along more quickly as a writer, with Tate's penchant for prog pushing them in directions. As the years went on, DeGarmo started really becoming a complete songwriter, whereas Wilton sort of stayed in with his strengths - coming up with cool riffs and parts. For years, DeGarmo would help arrange those parts, and at times, allegedly not even take credit for doing that arrangement. Chris naturally became the main songwriter in the band. As someone once told me who was connected with them -- if you're Tate, are you going to gravitate toward the music writer who has complete song ideas? Or are you going to gravitate to the songwriter who just has a part or two? The answer is obvious.

So yes, Wilton is credited on a large amount of the EP and The Warning. He had some great songs, great solos, etc. But as QR evolved, Whip just focused on what he did best. Doesn't mean he's not a good songwriter. Of course he is. But I don't think he evolved as much as Chris did. At least not looking back at the catalog. If you look at the records with TLT, you can see Wilton is very involved again. But they made it a point of being way more collaborative. Also, unlike Tate, TLT can play guitar decently enough to write songs on his own and does. That helps when you're working with a guy like Wilton. If Whip has a killer riff, but not sure what to do with it, Tate couldn't make that into something (see "Murderer?" from OPMC II). BUT, today, La Torre CAN and has done that. And songs like that are credited as La Torre/Wilton.

To be frank, Queensryche is a much, much different entity than it was. It's much more collaborative now in terms of writing. La Torre/Jackson/Wilton are the writers, and when your singer is a guitarist and drummer, it makes it that much easier for a guitarist to get the singer to adapt to a cool part...because the singer can then take that guitar part and build it into something. Whereas when Tate was in the band, if Wilton came at him with a cool riff, that's cool, but Tate can't do anything with it musically to make it something to sing over.

That example of "Murderer?" is perfect. Bad ass metal riff. Tate loved it. But that's all Wilton had. Tate loved it so much he asked Jason Slater to make it something he could sing over. So Slater took it, and arranged it into an actual song.

That situation no longer exists, because the singer now is La Torre, who can take a cool riff from Wilton, and then write his own musical parts to sing over.

So all the talk about Wilton writing things -- he has, and does write cool stuff. But in the early days (EP) it was just very basic. DeGarmo was, IMO, the arranger to take Wilton's riffs and make them into something Tate could write over. It was the same when Kelly Gray was in the band, and same again when Slater was doing the writing. Nowadays, it's easier, because La Torre has abilities as music writer that Tate doesn't have.

Tates differ. I didn't "get" HITNF right away either. I got an advance cassette copy from a friend in...I want to say around mid-February 1997, about six weeks before the record dropped. I didn't get it. When the album got released and I bought the CD, I liked some, but didn't understand. But here we are, 27 years later, and year after year, I've gotten what they were trying to do more and more. Not overthink it, go off the cuff, and write a record more spontaneously. I think it's very cool. Too much filler, but cool. When DeGarmo returned for "Open," "Desert Dance," "Falling Behind," "Art of Life," "Doing Fine," and "Justified" from Tribe, you can hear the songs start to go a different direction again. Queensryche was the ultimate hard rock/heavy metal chameleon band back then.

I agree... yup...

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #6431 on: April 08, 2024, 06:34:06 PM »

good post bro... I have my view on why Wilton got those writing credits, his  inability to write a song out of QR or on his own or a complete song confirms to me my view. but its so long ago its not worth going down that path again here as its long ago  I dont follow the current QR . has he written a complete song with the current lineup?  Ive always been disappointed with Wilton to be honest post Chris leaving, I did like him on a personal level .. nice enough fella for sure

I dont want Geoff to go backwards either., he can sprinkle in some oldies that the fans demand. I feel for Geoff he cant seem to please everyone.. if he doesnt sing the old stuff fans will crush him that he cant do it anymore and at his age anything he gives is sorta a gift.I like that Geoff likes to take chances and do slow ballads and unique stuff like he did on his solo stuff .
I saw some recent Youtubes of Geoff and I thought he sounded very good and his band had a full sound to them, I dont think they ever get back together

Holy cow you haven’t heard any of the comeback albums? Tate does not deserve that level of loyalty my friend.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6432 on: April 08, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
Holy cow you haven’t heard any of the comeback albums? Tate does not deserve that level of loyalty my friend.

Tate kinda does .. hes the only thing IMO that is even noteworthy from the original QR.  Tate is the only star IMO post Chris. Tates voice and stage presence  as I have said IMO is the hallmark of QR period.  I have no interest in seeing current QR period, I only go to shows to see stars 

Im not a fan of formula metal that the new QR seems to be into .  it doesnt connect with me at all to put it mildly I find no meaning in it like many bands, but old qr did mean something and Tate can still sell a song tothe audience   there is authenticity in the feeling the song comes from his life growth perspective ... If I have to see qr song live today I want Tate singing it period

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #6433 on: April 08, 2024, 08:50:27 PM »
Tates voice and stage presence  as I have said IMO is the hallmark of QR period.  I have no interest in seeing current QR period, I only go to shows to see stars 
Opinions and all that, but while I'll be the first to give props to Tate for his vocal abilities in his prime, his stage presence wasn't anything great. I saw him with QR enough times, especially several shows on the same tour (on a few different tour cycles) to see how phony it was and that it was pure shtick. It was no more genuine than the crap that DLR did, although not quite as over the top. Gimme someone like TLT who is far more genuine.

Im not a fan of formula metal that the new QR seems to be into .  it doesnt connect with me at all to put it mildly I find no meaning in it like many bands, but old qr did mean something and Tate can still sell a song tothe audience   there is authenticity in the feeling the song comes from his life growth perspective ... If I have to see qr song live today I want Tate singing it period
Fair enough - I can respect you don't like the direction QR has gone in with TLT. But does the stuff he's done after QR kicked him to the curb "mean something" to you just like the old QR? How about even D2C? Because let's face it, D2C was unquestionably *not* a real QR album aside from the fact that the guys in the band *may* be included in some of the recorded performances.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6434 on: April 08, 2024, 10:25:19 PM »
Opinions and all that, but while I'll be the first to give props to Tate for his vocal abilities in his prime, his stage presence wasn't anything great. I saw him with QR enough times, especially several shows on the same tour (on a few different tour cycles) to see how phony it was and that it was pure shtick. It was no more genuine than the crap that DLR did, although not quite as over the top. Gimme someone like TLT who is far more genuine.

Fair enough - I can respect you don't like the direction QR has gone in with TLT. But does the stuff he's done after QR kicked him to the curb "mean something" to you just like the old QR? How about even D2C? Because let's face it, D2C was unquestionably *not* a real QR album aside from the fact that the guys in the band *may* be included in some of the recorded performances.

idk  to me ... like Halford Ozzy Tyler Plant Wieland Layne Chester Dio DLR  and many others  ... it has to be the original singer to me.  without that voice component it always IMO feels just fake or the band should just disband. it just doesnt work for me

again thats just me..
« Last Edit: April 08, 2024, 10:42:25 PM by EPICVIEW »

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6435 on: April 08, 2024, 10:37:26 PM »

idk  to me ... like Halford Ozzy Tyler Plant Wieland Lane Chester Dio DLR  and many others  ... it has to be the original singer to me.  without that voice component it always IMO feels just fake or the band should just disband. it just doesnt work for me

again thats just me..

What about Dio with Sabbath?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6436 on: April 08, 2024, 10:41:33 PM »
What about Dio with Sabbath?

I did enjoy that.. but it felt so different but it didnt last  but to my point in some ways RJD could never sing ozzy and ozzy never sang RJD

If it can be done this is how to    KSE The Signal Fire
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2N0ShfOOEq4

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6437 on: April 08, 2024, 10:59:23 PM »
Bruce doing Paul’s stuff in Iron Maiden?

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #6438 on: April 09, 2024, 06:10:14 AM »
Bruce doing Paul’s stuff in Iron Maiden?

apples and oranges but I see your point   but if Tate just did the EP and first CD it would similar if they found a great singer and then had a 40 year run etc.

Tate is and was all QR really was,  the casual fan will only remember Tates voice as what QR was IMO.   

Offline emtee

« Reply #6439 on: April 09, 2024, 06:49:12 AM »
Thus thread prompted me to spin HitNF last night. It had been many years. My daughter was 6 yrs old when this came out. Hard to believe. Anyways I always enjoyed this album but last night confirmed there are some highs and lows. The run from the EP through PL is almost unmatched in quality so it was inevitable that there had to be a falloff eventually. The highs save the album from being pretty dismal. Tate still sounded amazing and this too helps save the album.