Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 387273 times)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3430 on: November 18, 2016, 01:13:56 AM »
Just got home from a midnight release at an old fashioned record store.
Short video of the scene.
I got there around 11:45 and there was already a long line, the store people said they were instructed not to sell the album until it's midnight but they blasted it over the store and passed around beer cans. It was fun talking to other fans in line, I had a DT shirt on so I got a couple of "Cool band.. don't like the new album though" which DT really should start paying me a "Defender of The Astonishing" salary, but even worse one guy asked me what the concept story was and I stood there telling the story for like 5 minutes and trying to have it make sense heh
They gave out a sticker and a poster with the album.

Got the cashier to take a picture of me with the CD and random people in line haha

My haul

I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3431 on: November 18, 2016, 02:02:46 AM »
Cool. On my firsts listen. About four tracks in. Great album so far.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3432 on: November 18, 2016, 02:03:21 AM »
Bought it off of Itunes. Will be listening on my long drive to work tomorrow morning. Wooooo.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3433 on: November 18, 2016, 03:27:10 AM »

:metal :metal

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3434 on: November 18, 2016, 03:34:57 AM »
Okay, not gonna lie. Spit Out the Bone is crazy good, might just check out some more songs later today, is there anything like this on the album or is it a one-of-a-kind?
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Art

« Reply #3435 on: November 18, 2016, 03:36:40 AM »
Listening to it on spotify. Pretty cool record. Dream No More is an early favorite.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3436 on: November 18, 2016, 03:53:12 AM »
Okay, not gonna lie. Spit Out the Bone is crazy good, might just check out some more songs later today, is there anything like this on the album or is it a one-of-a-kind?

Spit out the Bone is the fastest song besides hardwired.

Moth Into Flame is the next fastest after that. The rest of the album is medium tempo in a Black Album / Reload vibe.

Dream No More is like a sequel to The Thing That Should Not Be. Slow and downtuned and EPIC.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3437 on: November 18, 2016, 04:38:32 AM »

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #3438 on: November 18, 2016, 05:30:42 AM »

Spit out the Bone is the fastest song besides hardwired.

Moth Into Flame is the next fastest after that. The rest of the album is medium tempo in a Black Album / Reload vibe.

Dream No More is like a sequel to The Thing That Should Not Be. Slow and downtuned and EPIC.
I'll look into it, maybe I was a bit harsh on my first listens on some of these songs but I was planning to give them more attention anyway. So far had listened to the 3 pre-release singles + Dream No More, ManUNkind and Spit Out the Bone. Really dug the last one, phenomenal song, and Moth Into Flame was also great, but I didn't really like any of the others I heard.

Maybe I can make some time for a full album listen later today, I doubt it though
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #3439 on: November 18, 2016, 06:40:13 AM »
Ok, I'm diving in. As someone who still considers Metallica my #1 band of all time I'm looking forward to this. Especially based on comments here. I listened to Hardwired a few times (and wasn't overly impressed) and then some of the other tracks once. I don't like to over listen to singles, I'd rather experience a new album without being too familiar with any of the songs.

I'm on Moth into Flame at the moment so it's only Now That We're Dead that has been a completely new listen so far. I liked Atlas, Rise! more on second listen, probably my fave track so far.

Spit Out the Bone sounds interesting so I'll turn that up loud. I'll report back after my first full listen  :metal

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #3440 on: November 18, 2016, 07:17:03 AM »
Whatever, I'll listen to it today as well, though I fully expect not to really like it :P
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3442 on: November 18, 2016, 08:20:26 AM »
Loved the video for Spit out the Bone

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3443 on: November 18, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »
On my first listen now (including all the bonus material). Holy shit Spit Out The Bone :metal :metal :metal :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3444 on: November 18, 2016, 09:14:02 AM »
On my first listen now (including all the bonus material). Holy shit Spit Out The Bone :metal :metal :metal :hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Several goosebump moments on this album

1. The outro to Halo On Fire - " Then Only Darkness...Say Goodbye ! "

2. The verse of Spit Out the Bone " Come Unto Me - and you will feel perfection ! "

3. The verses of Dream No More - " He Sleeps Under Black Seas Waiting..."

4. That section of Spit Out The Bone - " Stop Breathing...and Dedicate To Me...Stop Dreaming...And Terminate For Me..."

:metal

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3445 on: November 18, 2016, 09:30:05 AM »
I think the whole first disc is awesome. The second disc has a couple "meh" spots for me, songs like ManUNkind, Am I Savage?, and Murder One have't clicked. They aren't bad, just not grabbing me yet.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3446 on: November 18, 2016, 09:36:30 AM »
I'm a huge fan of swung metal songs. So ManUNkind is a winner for me. Am I savage is swung too ...

Despite about 9 out of 13 being mid tempo - I don't think there's a bad "song" on the album on a " Poor Twisted Me " level of bad.

I've made a playlist for my phone of the album plus Lords of Summer. 13 songs and 84 mins.  :tup

The new Lords of Summer is *WAY* better than the demo. I LOVE the way James sings " Let Your Fire BURN " around the 6:50 mark. Chills.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3447 on: November 18, 2016, 09:50:06 AM »
Yeah this album made me understand one thing for sure, I can't stand Hetfield's vocals post TBA with the exception of DM.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3448 on: November 18, 2016, 10:12:40 AM »
 :o wait...hold up.... you're saying he sounds WORSE on the new album than he did on Death magnetic ?

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #3449 on: November 18, 2016, 10:17:05 AM »
The chunky, grungy, mid-level tempo songs are doing nothing for me upon first listen. We'll see if that changes after a few more listens but so I far I think the album is fairly boring.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3450 on: November 18, 2016, 10:17:32 AM »
Joining the appreciation for Am I savage? Tremendous song.

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #3451 on: November 18, 2016, 10:24:27 AM »
I think Am I Savage suffers from a wonky arrangement, but the main riff is one of the best on the album

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3452 on: November 18, 2016, 10:30:34 AM »
Different formats have different head pictures?  Nice detail. 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #3453 on: November 18, 2016, 10:35:40 AM »
:o wait...hold up.... you're saying he sounds WORSE on the new album than he did on Death magnetic ?

Not necessarily worse, but I really dislike the vocal style on most of the songs with the exception of Moth and Spit. Especially the vocal melodies on Dream No More make the song unlistenable for me, even though it is pretty okay instrumentally.

Offline Art

« Reply #3454 on: November 18, 2016, 10:36:48 AM »
Am I Savage is the only song i disliked so far. Confusion is getting better with each listen.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3455 on: November 18, 2016, 10:38:08 AM »
Am I Savage is the only song i disliked so far. Confusion is getting better with each listen.

DAT GALLOP.

Seriously that riff sounds like it came straight off And Justice For All..

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3456 on: November 18, 2016, 10:48:35 AM »

Not necessarily worse, but I really dislike the vocal style on most of the songs with the exception of Moth and Spit. Especially the vocal melodies on Dream No More make the song unlistenable for me, even though it is pretty okay instrumentally.

Wow, interesting opinion. I think Het's vocals are really good on this. Easily his best vocal work since ReLoad.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3457 on: November 18, 2016, 11:07:17 AM »

Wow, interesting opinion. I think Het's vocals are really good on this. Easily his best vocal work since ReLoad.

Yea, I think the vocals are noticeably better than the last two albums.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3458 on: November 18, 2016, 11:43:38 AM »

2. The verse of Spit Out the Bone " Come Unto Me - and you will feel perfection ! "

4. That section of Spit Out The Bone - " Stop Breathing...and Dedicate To Me...Stop Dreaming...And Terminate For Me..."

Wholehearteadly agree on these three!!!!  :metal

It's ironic how Am I Savage in title reminds a lot of Am I Evil, and yet it's one of the earlier songs (Either Confusion or ManUnkind, can't remember right now) that sounds slightly like the actual song.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #3459 on: November 18, 2016, 12:04:07 PM »
I'm pretty surprised!

I'm enjoying this new Metallica album, more than i ever thought i would!

Now That We're Dead has a great rhythm and a catchy chorus, and Spit Out The Bone is just glorious!

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #3460 on: November 18, 2016, 12:06:13 PM »
I finally finished my first listen, and I can honestly say I have tears of joy in my eyes. Ever since the huge disappointment/turmoil of St. Anger, I've been saying how bad I've wanted an album with the perfect mix of thrash and Load-style melodies and grooves, and I finally got my wish. These guys have wowed me yet again, the performances of all the members are top notch, especially James, the production is outstanding and the songwriting is fantastic! Spit Out The Bone definitely didn't disappoint despite all the hype, what a song! I'd have to say this is easily the best Metallica album since The Black Album. My boys are back and I've never been more proud to call Metallica my favorite band! Cheers!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3461 on: November 18, 2016, 12:11:14 PM »

Wholehearteadly agree on these three!!!!  :metal

It's ironic how Am I Savage in title reminds a lot of Am I Evil, and yet it's one of the earlier songs (Either Confusion or ManUnkind, can't remember right now) that sounds slightly like the actual song.

It's Confusion. 

I imagine that Diamond Head have made enough money from Metallica over the years covering Am I Evil - and it being on Garage Inc - that they have no problem with the similarity.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3462 on: November 18, 2016, 12:20:15 PM »
Yeah the outro of Halo is soooo good.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3463 on: November 18, 2016, 01:18:43 PM »
In the tradition of mis-heard lyrics in Metallica songs...

At 2:40 in Halo on Fire it sounds like " Deprive Deep Fried "

That caveman diet getting Papa het down ? :biggrin:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3464 on: November 18, 2016, 02:01:22 PM »
So Metallica consider Hardwired To Self Destruct their 11th album which means they probably count Garage Inc Disc 1 as a studio album...

Not Lulu since it was a collab.