Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 387282 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3290 on: November 12, 2016, 05:06:01 PM »
I always said the should do a slower album so they can comfortably play it live.

I'd love an album of ballads.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3291 on: November 12, 2016, 05:14:58 PM »
I've got another one. There was this Russian hard rock band that opened for Yngwie Malmsteen back in... 2007? I hated Yngwie, but my buddy's bass teacher (Bjorn Englen) was playing bass for him so we went. I dont remember the name of the band, but this really cute goth girl whom I had a thing for was there with us.. and she really dug them. I spent the entire show keeping her safe from the pit. Lots of.. close body contact. Plus kick ass music. And then... well.. The only good thing about Yngwie was Bjorn and Tim The Ripper Owens playing with him.

*daydreams*

I think you may have posted this in the wrong thread.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3292 on: November 12, 2016, 07:42:45 PM »
From one quick listen, if you don't like Load, you might struggle with a lot of this.

Fortunately, I like Load.

Although I am worrying quite a chunk falls into Reload territory. And that's not so good.

I do think Moth is the highlight so far. All the 'singles' stand up well in the overall context.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3293 on: November 12, 2016, 07:49:44 PM »
I know it's because I'm a casual player but I loathe the idea of having to change tuning to play a song.
I felt like learning Fuel's chorus and solo section a few weeks ago and the tab said Drop something and I said drop you mate heh
All the strings are downtuned a half step in Fuel, so you can learn the song in standard tuning.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3294 on: November 12, 2016, 09:37:40 PM »
The album is a bit different to what I expected from the singles. They picked the three most generic and tuneless songs to release first. The album isn't a lot of fast thrashy stuff, more slower grooves, more melodies and harmonies, and a bit more variety. Manunkind has a nice Sabbathy influence to it, and I get more of a TBA/Load/Reload vibe.

Hetfield is sounding great, and Hammett is much improved from DM, the solos have more structure and melody to them, and even the faster bits sound decent. The instrumental sections feel more natural with better flow than DM's cut and paste sections that only served to extend the songs. Most of these songs are longer due to the slower tempos rather than feeling so forced. Some really nice guitar harmony sections that I enjoyed.

I don't know if I'm just worn out on it, but I don't enjoy the last 1/3 a lot, the songs seemed a bit bland. The middle 1/3 of the album is by far the strongest run to me. I mostly skipped the first 1/3 since they were the songs I'd already heard and been indifferent to, except for Now That We're Dead, which seemed good too.

Better than I expected, although too early to judge. I was listening on my laptop speakers, so I don't feel like I heard everything well. Stylistically, it's just what I wanted, the songwriting I'm still undecided on.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3295 on: November 12, 2016, 10:07:31 PM »
Per usual, Blob's words excite and arrouse me.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3296 on: November 12, 2016, 11:02:02 PM »
And this time I wasn't even talking about robot copulation.

So far, Dream No More is far and away the standout of the album imo. Great song. It takes some clear cues from Sad But True, most obviously the slow tempo and D tuning, and I really like the verse and chorus melodies. Strangely, the guitar harmonies after the solo remind me of Arch Enemy wtf.
The rest of the album will have to wait until I'm over this track before they get another chance. :lol

« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:13:21 PM by BlobVanDam »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3297 on: November 13, 2016, 04:27:21 AM »
Couldn't resist, heard it as well.

I was not completely sold on Dream No More, but hey, it's the first listening. Halo On Fire is good and so the closer Spit Out the Bone, there's a fantastic melody nearing the end. At times it drags but all in all it's a very solid effort with no cringeworth moments and a very nice and clear sound. Looking forward to more listenings!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3298 on: November 13, 2016, 09:20:41 AM »
bestbuy.com has both the standard and deluxe CD's for 9.99 each! 
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline mikemangioy

• do feel free to spool through.
« Reply #3299 on: November 13, 2016, 01:23:56 PM »
Man, talk about a comeback. There are some seriously good songs on this! And I love how it's different from what I expected, which with Metallica was becoming standard.
Because Mike is better than Mike

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3300 on: November 13, 2016, 01:50:18 PM »
Spit Out the Bone is fantastic!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3301 on: November 13, 2016, 05:46:58 PM »
:lol People on the Met forum justifying downloading the leak by making us that are waiting feel bad...

" Downloading a leak is stealing ? How is it any different to COPYING the files from the CD to your Computer ? ::) "

You're right - we're all technically stealing by copying the album form the speakers to our brains :lol :lol

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3302 on: November 13, 2016, 11:04:17 PM »
And this time I wasn't even talking about robot copulation.

So far, Dream No More is far and away the standout of the album imo. Great song. It takes some clear cues from Sad But True, most obviously the slow tempo and D tuning, and I really like the verse and chorus melodies. Strangely, the guitar harmonies after the solo remind me of Arch Enemy wtf.
The rest of the album will have to wait until I'm over this track before they get another chance. :lol
Great song. My favorite so far is Halo on Fire.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #3303 on: November 13, 2016, 11:58:08 PM »
:lol People on the Met forum justifying downloading the leak by making us that are waiting feel bad...

" Downloading a leak is stealing ? How is it any different to COPYING the files from the CD to your Computer ? ::) "

You're right - we're all technically stealing by copying the album form the speakers to our brains :lol :lol
Depends on whether they also buy the album, especially if they have pre-ordered. I mean, it's technically still stealing, but really it comes to the same thing as ripping the mp3s.

Technically even ripping mp3s is illegal in the UK.

CONFUSION-AH!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #3304 on: November 14, 2016, 12:19:03 AM »
I just don't understand why people just can't be patient (it actually does make the anticipation a little more worthwhile when actually hearing the album), and if they can't, why they feel they have to publically admit they listened and downloaded the leaks.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3305 on: November 14, 2016, 01:25:28 AM »
Spit Out the Bone is fantastic!

Yes! Among the best here.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3306 on: November 14, 2016, 04:29:51 AM »
I just don't understand why people just can't be patient (it actually does make the anticipation a little more worthwhile when actually hearing the album), and if they can't, why they feel they have to publically admit they listened and downloaded the leaks.

And make anyone who IS waiting feel bad about it.

::) You didn't download the album for free ? What kind of fan are you ?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3307 on: November 14, 2016, 06:12:31 AM »
Whenever I actually wait for albums, I never feel bad. I feel bad for those who couldn't wait  ;D
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3308 on: November 14, 2016, 06:22:37 AM »
Whenever I actually wait for albums, I never feel bad. I feel bad for those who couldn't wait  ;D

Truth.

" ::) I bought the CD anyway what's the problem ? ".

To me that's a bit like saying " So what If I stole the CD ? I was going to buy it from a different shop anyway... "

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3309 on: November 14, 2016, 06:27:15 AM »

Why would you feel bad for people who are enjoying something before you? :biggrin:
I mean, everyone's doing what works for them, so I don't know why the need to complain about anyone else's actions. :tup
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 06:32:29 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3310 on: November 14, 2016, 06:55:49 AM »
Well, actually you're right, it was more of a light-hearted response, hence the smiley. In this case I didn't wait, for Iron Maiden for example I did and my enjoyment of the album on release day of course had no impact or difference on wether how many people actually heard it before me  :coolio

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3311 on: November 14, 2016, 11:03:05 AM »
Really digging Halo of Fire as well! Great verses and one hell of a chorus there.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3312 on: November 14, 2016, 12:28:50 PM »
It'll be on Spotify first thing Friday morning so i'm gonna stay up and listen on there and my CDs should arrive in the AM.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3313 on: November 14, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

Also... I mocked up this alternate cover from one of the images in the booklet shared on Metallica.com

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3314 on: November 14, 2016, 12:31:36 PM »
Definitely an improvement!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3315 on: November 14, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
:tup

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3316 on: November 14, 2016, 05:48:05 PM »
Anyone else get a 80's metal vibe from Halo On Fire?
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #3317 on: November 15, 2016, 05:12:40 AM »
Still haven't listened to it.....  :angel: :yeahright :yeahright
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3318 on: November 15, 2016, 05:33:39 AM »
Nor me but my bro downloaded the leak and wanted me to hear one song so i listened to it then deleted the file.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3319 on: November 15, 2016, 06:58:59 AM »
Sounds promising, but I don't do leaks, so I'll just wait a couple days till it's out.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #3320 on: November 15, 2016, 07:55:16 AM »
Not the hugest Metallica fan ever; I first heard them on ...And Justice for All and thought "Talented, but a little too thrashy for me.".  Then I heard the Black Album, and was blown away ("Nothing Else Matters", "Unforgiven", "Wherever I May Roam"!) and have been on the bandwagon ever since.    Didn't care for St. Anger, but everything else, I dig to some degree or another.   

And I have to say: I haven't had this much anticipation for an album in a LONG time.  Every comment, every snippet, every song I've heard has only built anticipation for me.  (Contrast this with hearing "Tattoo" by VH and thinking "UH OH", but then hearing the album and giving it "Album of the Year"; and the snippet DT released for 12, though the album was better it wasn't "Album of the Year"; and the snippet I heard from the new Maiden album had me SOOO disappointed, and the album blew me away). 

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3321 on: November 15, 2016, 08:18:20 AM »
Chances are very high that you'll enjoy the album then!

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3322 on: November 15, 2016, 01:24:09 PM »
That guitar lead part after Kirk's first short solo on Spit Out the Bone.  :hefdaddy This song is absolutely KILLER.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 01:29:46 PM by PixelDream »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #3323 on: November 15, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »
That guitar lead part after Kirk's first short solo on Spit Out the Bone.  :hefdaddy This song is absolutely KILLER.

Yeah. Unfortunately this song won't get as much love as it deserves cause, you know, TOO THRASHY.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3324 on: November 15, 2016, 01:54:46 PM »
Really? People on the metallica boards are loving the album apart from it not being thrashy ENOUGH.

Anyway. It's Wednesday tomorrow and Thursday evening will soon be here...

( Assuming the album is on Spotify at 00:00 Friday morning - it's up there now - all 3CDs but blacked out apart from the singles so... )