Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 387282 times)

Offline mikeyd23

Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #3255 on: November 10, 2016, 09:08:38 AM »
Apparently disc 2 is s lot more mid tempo and varied.

Right so I have heard... Just hoping mid-tempo means more melodic variety from James.

Offline pogoowner

• Pancake Bunny
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3256 on: November 10, 2016, 10:48:52 AM »
Apparently disc 2 is s lot more mid tempo and varied.

Right so I have heard... Just hoping mid-tempo means more melodic variety from James.
Yes, hopefully mid-tempo means "barking" (as James called it) vocals are not suitable. Not that I mind that style, but there's just been way too much of it lately.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3257 on: November 10, 2016, 12:21:01 PM »
https://loudandproud.it/metallica-hardwired-to-self-destruct/

Italian track by track after a listening session - happened, believe ir ot not, amplifying the sound off an iPhone 7  :eek (didn't they have a stereo or something?)

Google translate is your friend, I'll try to sum up briefly the comments about the unknown songs:

NOW THAT WE'RE DEAD: Long intro, weird "electronic" drums from Lars, but maybe it's because of the iPhone. Good solo from Kirk, James sings about a love after death.

DREAM NO MORE: Black Sabbath-ish, even in James' singing style.. It's the Chtulu song, the reviewer is not entirely convinced, he deems the song too long.

HALO ON FIRE: Starts off seemingly as a ballad, but has many twists and turns. James is praised here.

CONFUSION: The song is actually "confusing", but the reviewer doesn't explain in detail why this song is unusual for Metallica standard, or why exactly James is unrecognizable on this.

MANUNKIND: Another song that starts slowly and then has many tempo changes. "Many eyebrows were raised", once again the explanation is not clear.

HERE COMES REVENGE: Deemed better than the prevěous two, it has a section made for fan interaction during live concerts.

AM I SAVAGE?: Another Sabbath-ish song, it's about the Wolfman. Once again a vague comment about "how Lars will manage to make a video out of this" but not explaining in detail why people were looking at each other perplexed during the listening session.

MURDER ONE: Fade to Black-ish intro for a tribute for Lemmy!!! too slow for being a song about, well, Lemmy, but the song itself has been appreciated.

SPIT OUT THE BONE: Starts off fast and heavy, like many Metallica closing songs before this, and once again a tease: a comment about how the song ends bad but not telling exactly why.

I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3258 on: November 10, 2016, 12:40:29 PM »

Italian track by track after a listening session - happened, believe ir ot not, amplifying the sound off an iPhone 7  :eek (didn't they have a stereo or something?)

Probably used a cable from the headphone socket into an amp...

Offline Mladen

« Reply #3259 on: November 10, 2016, 12:50:10 PM »
I'm definitely digging the music (at least compared to DM or St. Anger) but the vocals (mostly) leave a lot to be desired. So far the vocals seem a bit by the numbers and lacking much melody or being memorable.
This is the biggest problem I have with Atlas Rise, especially with its chorus. I so wish James was a bit more ambitious with the vocal melodies.

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #3260 on: November 10, 2016, 05:48:21 PM »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #3261 on: November 10, 2016, 05:57:27 PM »
https://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-10/the-track-by-track-guide-to-metallica-hardwired-to-self-destruct
I don't know what to think about this review...

It's a horribly written review. Told me almost nothing except some songs are slower and some are faster.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3263 on: November 11, 2016, 06:55:58 AM »
https://teamrock.com/feature/2016-11-10/the-track-by-track-guide-to-metallica-hardwired-to-self-destruct
I don't know what to think about this review...

It's a horribly written review. Told me almost nothing except some songs are slower and some are faster.

Yeah I saw that one, it's pretty bad.

At least a better written one: https://www.thenationalstudent.com/Music/2016-11-10/album-review-metallica-hardwired-to-self-destruct.html

This was a little better of a read except for the dude not knowing what a blast beat is  :lol. The theme I continue to see with the reviews I have read is that the second disc (particularly the first couple tracks on the second disc) is the weak portion of the album. I'll be interested to hear those songs and how they compare to the three we already have heard.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #3264 on: November 11, 2016, 11:22:11 AM »
This was a little better of a read except for the dude not knowing what a blast beat is  :lol.

Also:
Hardwired… to Self-Destruct is not a thrash album. Rather, it is a release that utilises the conventions of a number of heavy styles, from NWOBHM to melodic death metal to thrash to doom metal, all of which become apparent as the album proceeds.

wtf

Doesn't sound likely.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #3265 on: November 11, 2016, 11:42:21 AM »
This was a little better of a read except for the dude not knowing what a blast beat is  :lol.

Also:
Hardwired… to Self-Destruct is not a thrash album. Rather, it is a release that utilises the conventions of a number of heavy styles, from NWOBHM to melodic death metal to thrash to doom metal, all of which become apparent as the album proceeds.

wtf

Doesn't sound likely.

:lol Yeah clearly no blast beats and melodic death metal happening in Metallica.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3266 on: November 11, 2016, 12:44:41 PM »
Jaymz reflecting on their 90's era and St Anger, says 90's were "uncomfortable".
https://www.nme.com/news/music/james-hetfield-shares-cliff-burton-thought-metallicas-90s-albums-1842606
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3267 on: November 11, 2016, 03:15:13 PM »
Kirk and Lars were the driving force of Metallica in the 90s. James has said this before. the two artsy fartsy members of metallica.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3268 on: November 11, 2016, 06:17:14 PM »
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 06:25:28 PM by Kotowboy »

Offline Adami

« Reply #3269 on: November 11, 2016, 10:44:07 PM »
It's always a little sad when a musician says they don't like the stuff that you love.

Like when Daniel said he wasn't terribly fond of The Perfect Element. :(
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3270 on: November 11, 2016, 11:08:56 PM »
Musicians are often too close to their own music to be terribly objective about it, to be honest. 

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3271 on: November 11, 2016, 11:35:36 PM »
6 days out and no leak! Ridiculous. But also impressive.
DM leaked 10 days out.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #3272 on: November 11, 2016, 11:47:33 PM »
To be fair, Metallica has always kinda been paranoid about leaks. They even released St. Anger 5 days early just so it wouldn't get leaked.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #3273 on: November 12, 2016, 01:42:20 AM »
To be fair, Metallica has always kinda been paranoid about leaks. They even released St. Anger 5 days early just so it wouldn't get leaked.

That was probably so people wouldn't know it sucked before buying it.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3274 on: November 12, 2016, 01:53:11 AM »
Some guy got his order on Amazon early and I've been watching him stream the album on Facebook. I purposely quit early so I could hear some songs fresh on release day.

Guys.

This album fucking delivers (at least part of it). From what I've heard, the three singles are THE WORST songs on the album. Dream No More is a goddamn masterpiece. CTHULHU AWAKENS.

The ones I've heard and my thoughts:

Dream No More - Great singing. Yes, singing. Vocals sound straight out of Load/Reload. Downtuned song, sounds straight evil. Kirk's solo, guys. I can't even begin to explain how NOT disappointed I am. He started with minimal wah then dropped it off entirely to write some of the catchiest work since The Black Album. It fits so damn well. Excuse me while I change my pants.
Halo on Fire - Caught about half of this one. The guitar work on this is superb. This song is a fucking riff machine with GREAT harmonies. I've heard this described as their best work in 25 years, and from what I've heard I can't disagree.
Spit out the Bone - Jayzus. Juuuust Jayzus. Intro starts like Damage, Inc. meets Metal Militia, then that rhythm is carried throughout the entire song. Fast, powerful, good vocals, a powerhouse from start to finish. Solo was a mishmash of pentatonic licks like something out of Kill Em All.

Honestly, everyone is in top form. There is variety in everything. Vocals, guitarwork, etc. It's not the three singles over and over. I was a little excited before listening, but now I'm fucking thrilled.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #3275 on: November 12, 2016, 02:35:24 AM »
Sounds good! the early reviews were seemingly implying that yes, it was the three singles over and over, with too much slowish stuff.

Also this is basically the first time I was aware of how James had to go with the flow with the Load / ReLoad albums. I agree that they had too many songs, a single album with the strongest material would have been better.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3276 on: November 12, 2016, 06:16:02 AM »
There's a riff I'd hoped would appear and according to reports it does.

On Murder One. The Leper Messiah -ish sounding riff.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3277 on: November 12, 2016, 09:35:00 AM »

That was probably so people wouldn't know it sucked before buying it.

:lol :tup

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline dparrott

« Reply #3278 on: November 12, 2016, 09:36:41 AM »
Musicians are often too close to their own music to be terribly objective about it, to be honest.

It all seems to make sense while you're "in the moment", but looking back it's like "what was i thinking?" Life is like that in general, innit?

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3279 on: November 12, 2016, 10:41:51 AM »
Album is...available...

Listening to it now. Now That We're Dead has a definite Load feeling to it. A bit too long but if a lot of the album is like that I'm going to be happy. Definitely looking better than DM.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #3280 on: November 12, 2016, 10:58:52 AM »
Halfway through disc 1. They definitely sound like the Metallica I love again. What a graceful return to form this is so far. I like the fat riffs of the Het and the production just slays.

Dream No More, what a track!!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 11:04:43 AM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3281 on: November 12, 2016, 11:25:13 AM »
Unfortunately I don't have time to listen to the album properly right now, but so far luckily it seems the singles weren't representative of the album in terms of melodies. Every other track I've checked out so far has actual melodies and Het is sounding really good, and with more harmonies. Dream No More definitely sounds like it has potential, Halo on Fire as well, Spit Out the Bone sounds like a decent thrashier song to finish it out.

As I said, I skimmed, so I can't make any judgements about songwriting quality, but I'm more optimistic about giving this a listen tomorrow, and it sounds like a nice mix of their previous sounds.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3282 on: November 12, 2016, 12:34:54 PM »
Almost finished with the first disc. The whole vibe of it so far is very Black Album-ish, and I'm cool with it. Dream No More left me a good first impression, Halo on Fire as well. The latter might have one of the best vocal performances by James I've heard since 2000.

Offline Adami

« Reply #3283 on: November 12, 2016, 12:35:59 PM »
Loving what you guys are saying.

I don't do leaks, so I look forward to hearing this album in 6 days. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3284 on: November 12, 2016, 12:38:44 PM »
And the production just slays.

It says a lot that on the Metallica Forum - that was the main thing people were worried about. Not songs, not style - just " is it going to sound good this time ? "

Well done Greg !

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3285 on: November 12, 2016, 12:40:29 PM »
Loving what you guys are saying.

I don't do leaks, so I look forward to hearing this album in 6 days. :)

Yeah same. It should hopefully be on Spotify at 00:00 in the UK and my CDs should arrive in the a.m. PLUS I've booked that day off work so i can stay up late and listen to all 3 CDs

( assuming the deluxe ed. is on Spotify - if not - no biggie ).

ALSO - people have ben saying that the new studio version of Lords of Summer is massively improved. If so - i'll prolly make a 13 track playlist with Lords on the end for an 84 min album.

:biggrin: :metal

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3286 on: November 12, 2016, 01:46:26 PM »
I'm really loving what i'm reading about there being a lot of Reload style songs - just much improved.

Easily one of my favourite Metallica albums. So under rated.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #3287 on: November 12, 2016, 03:13:00 PM »
Listening right now. Pretty good so far. Dream No More is very good indeed.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 03:21:15 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #3288 on: November 12, 2016, 04:32:02 PM »
Fuck me. Wrong thread
« Last Edit: November 13, 2016, 03:25:37 PM by JayOctavarium »
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Luoto

• Wandering midget
« Reply #3289 on: November 12, 2016, 04:53:13 PM »
I'm really loving what i'm reading about there being a lot of Reload style songs - just much improved.

Easily one of my favourite Metallica albums. So under rated.

Am I Savage is definitely a throwback towards that vibe, though I wouldn't say this is an improvement over it. Pretty similar really, apart from the mix lacking the breathing space.

EDIT: Confusion is groovy as fuck. The two prominent riffs in this song slay.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2016, 05:08:03 PM by Luoto »
Always too soon, always too late, always in between.