Author Topic: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded  (Read 387269 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: The Metallica Thread v. Reloaded
« Reply #2520 on: August 25, 2016, 08:01:40 PM »

Breadfan (cover)
Master of Puppets
Of Wolf and Man
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fuel
The Memory Remains
Bleeding Me
Nothing Else Matters
Until it Sleeps
King Nothing
Wherever I May Roam
One
Fight Fire with Fire

Low Man's Lyric/Four Horseman (acoustic)
Motorbreath (acoustic)
Sad But True
Enter Sandman

Creeping Death

Getting Of Wolf and Man, Bleeding Me, Creeping Death and The Thing That Should Not Be was pretty awesome, even if that concert did make my ears bleed. :lol :lol

That's a pretty killer set Kev, good stuff.

:hat :coolio

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #2521 on: August 26, 2016, 06:13:10 AM »
FUCK ME!  I just listened to Coz's link and let it play, and the next song is even MORE KILLER HET!

Waylon Jennings' Outlaw Country CLASSIC as done by James (interpolating a little "Dukes of Hazard").  That gave me chills.   This is some evidence that Metallica is holding him back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaXAV56e7c

(Another good comment:  "wow. what a great fuckin job. rocked them country titties right outta their tops.")

And the NEXT song is proof that he can sing:  Deep Purple's "When A Blind Man Cries":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIY8x5gy7w

Fun Fact : James played every instrument on " This Outlaw Bit ".

Where can I get that? (I can Google it, but you seem to know about it...)

https://www.amazon.com/Ive-Always-Been-Crazy-Jennings/dp/B0000AQRZY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1472213543&sr=8-1&keywords=waylon+jennings+tribute
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Offline Randaran

• The Fate of Destruction is also the Joy of Rebirth
« Reply #2522 on: August 26, 2016, 02:56:54 PM »
I've given Death Magnetic another listen, and now I'm actually somewhat excited for the new record. I really only had three issues with DM. The production was awful, Kirk's solos blew, and there were some questionable songwriting choices. The first has already been fixed, and the shorter average song length will help mitigate the third. Though some songs were so overloaded with riffs that they lost cohesion, the riffs themselves were great. Kirk has a history of nearly ruining great songs with bad solos as far back as Master of Puppets, so I don't have any hope for his output on Hardwired. As long as the rest of the band, especially James, makes up for this weakness, this new album could be surprisingly solid.
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol
My anime can beat up your anime.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2523 on: August 26, 2016, 02:58:14 PM »
I've given Death Magnetic another listen, and now I'm actually somewhat excited for the new record. I really only had three issues with DM. The production was awful, Kirk's solos blew, and there were some questionable songwriting choices. The first has already been fixed, and the shorter average song length will help mitigate the third. Though some songs were so overloaded with riffs that they lost cohesion, the riffs themselves were great. Kirk has a history of nearly ruining great songs with bad solos as far back as Master of Puppets, so I don't have any hope for his output on Hardwired. As long as the rest of the band, especially James, makes up for this weakness, this new album could be surprisingly solid.

Have a listen to the previews of Death Magnetic remastered on iTunes. It's a lot better. Make sure it says " Mastered for iTunes " in a blue box in the corner ... :)

Offline Randaran

« Reply #2524 on: August 26, 2016, 02:59:50 PM »
I'll give that a shot.  :tup

Edit: Damn, it sounds significantly better.  :lol
Only a prog fan would try to measure how much they enjoy a song by an equation. :lol

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2525 on: August 26, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »
I'll give that a shot.  :tup

Edit: Damn, it sounds significantly better.  :lol

Do you want me to PM you the dropbox link for the whole album ?  I bought the remastered version :)

Offline Randaran

« Reply #2526 on: August 26, 2016, 03:06:17 PM »
I'll buy it myself. I don't want to get in trouble on uni wifi.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2527 on: August 26, 2016, 03:19:55 PM »
 :omg: :omg: :omg:

u wot m8

:P

Offline krands85

« Reply #2528 on: August 26, 2016, 03:54:21 PM »

Have a listen to the previews of Death Magnetic remastered on iTunes. It's a lot better. Make sure it says " Mastered for iTunes " in a blue box in the corner ... :)
Is that much different to the guitar hero versions?
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2529 on: August 26, 2016, 04:01:09 PM »

Is that much different to the guitar hero versions?

Yes. A lot more oomph to it.

Offline krands85

« Reply #2530 on: August 27, 2016, 04:26:16 AM »
 :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Genowyn

• That name's pretty cool, and honestly, I'd like to change mine to it.
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But Hachikuji, I've told you over and over...
« Reply #2531 on: August 27, 2016, 10:21:56 PM »
Only just heard about the new album today.

This album cover is like Dance of Death level.

...my name is Araragi.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2532 on: August 29, 2016, 10:28:14 PM »
Just imagine how many Hetfield songs we'll never hear because they weren't "metallica" songs.
And of course that stupid " no side projects " rule.
Although Rob still plays with other bands so who knows.

Not many according to a So What!, the official fan club magazine, interview I read in the past. He has riffs and patterns but never finishes writing a complete song if there's no intention of putting it to use.
I used to like his "no side projects" rule a lot, basically cause he explained in a convincing way at some point. But I was never a fan of any side projects from any other band before I was introduced to Liquid Tension Experiment and since then my mind has been opened to the idea a bit. Still, it's very rare that someone in a band I like, especially if it's the principal writer of the band, makes a side project that is strong and also doesn't hurt their main band creatively, but that's just me.
About Trujillo, his playing with Rodrigo y Gabriela or anybody else doesn't contradict Hetfield's "no side projects" rule as long as he doesn't count as a member of another band or writes for them. Hetfield himself made several guest spots, like on Corrosion of Conformity or Danzig records and live performances. Newsted himself was made a guest spot on Sepultura's Against album, I remember that's how I got in introduced to Sepultura back in the late 90's.

FUCK ME!  I just listened to Coz's link and let it play, and the next song is even MORE KILLER HET!

Waylon Jennings' Outlaw Country CLASSIC as done by James (interpolating a little "Dukes of Hazard").  That gave me chills.   This is some evidence that Metallica is holding him back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbaXAV56e7c

(Another good comment:  "wow. what a great fuckin job. rocked them country titties right outta their tops.")

And the NEXT song is proof that he can sing:  Deep Purple's "When A Blind Man Cries":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APIY8x5gy7w

Man I had forgotten about that Waylon Jennings cover. I made an album on my iPod around 2004 and called it Garage After heh, it contains about 12 songs of covers and other non-album tracks so they wouldn't be scattered all over, when you mentioned this song I went back and listened to some of the songs in that album and it reminded me of how fun the Ramones covers were.

It's almost impossible for me to find any Metallica live footage/interviews that dates pre-00's that I haven't seen before, since I was a huge Metallica bootleg collector back in the day but I found a couple of intersting ones since this new album hype started last week and I've been browsing around.
This is a TV interview that took place near the end of recording The Black Album, it has more good information was not mentioned in the entire Year & Half documentary nor the VH1 Making of Black Album DVD IMO, mainly about how they felt about Justice. To add to what's been said in the video; in early So What! interviews they had mentioned that at one point during the Damaged Justice tour, Hetfield told Ulrich "I never wanna play this fuckin song again" about AJFA and Ulrich agreed that he was tired of the progressive elements, the tempo changes and the lengthy songs, Hammet also got on board saying that he feels like they lose the audience while playing some of the longer Justice songs live.
I would also add on my side that it made a lot of sense to me when they said that what happened on the Wherever We May Roam and Nowhere Else to Roam tours, which was the Justice Medley, to just play what they thought was the best parts of the long songs and the premiere of the short version of MoP. And I think the fact that this mentality was reversed in the 00's was totally fan influenced.

The second video I found that I had not seen before was an interview with Hammet during the MOR tour 88, the Peter North impersonator there asks Kirk about the "new song" they premiered that day and it's Harvester of Sorrow :biggrin:, just thought it was funny what he said about it. Also some cool concert footage there.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 10:36:26 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2533 on: August 30, 2016, 04:36:21 AM »
I love James' singing on the Deep Purple cover!
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2534 on: August 30, 2016, 10:20:42 AM »
Lars : No Big Ballad on Hardwired To Self Destruct.

::) ::) Oh Well...

At this stage of their careers - i'd take an album of nothing BUT ballads over an album with NO ballads at all...

Offline fadetoblackdude7

« Reply #2535 on: August 30, 2016, 10:40:32 AM »
I'm ok with there not being a ballad, as long as there's a lot of melodies, which Rob said there are. I loved DM, but I feel the songs could've been WAY more melodic.

Offline mikeyd23

« Reply #2536 on: August 30, 2016, 11:01:15 AM »
Yeah I'm okay with the idea of no ballad as well.

Also, I'm curious what Lars considers a "ballad". I'd be surprised if there wasn't some song that slowed things down a bit, at least for a portion of the song. But Lars maybe doesn't consider it a ballad.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2537 on: August 30, 2016, 11:04:28 AM »
I'm ok with there not being a ballad, as long as there's a lot of melodies, which Rob said there are. I loved DM, but I feel the songs could've been WAY more melodic.

I agree. I don't need ballads from Metallica, I just want some good melodies. Hardwired is completely devoid of any melody, unfortunately. Hopefully the rest of the album delivers.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2538 on: August 30, 2016, 11:08:18 AM »
Yup, that's all they need is a bit more melody on this album, and maybe more dynamics.

Hardwired felt like the usual Metallica song.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #2539 on: August 30, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
I hope that by ballad, Lars meant - songs that are largely acoustic or clean electric guitar-based.

I personally would consider Fixxxer, Carpe Diem Baby, Unforgiven 2, etc. to be ballads, and I think there is still hope for that.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2540 on: August 30, 2016, 03:58:30 PM »
Never liked their ballads, unless you count Fade to Black (I wouldn't). The ballads were the worst part of DM. So that's fine by me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2541 on: August 30, 2016, 04:01:06 PM »
Never liked their ballads, unless you count Fade to Black (I wouldn't). The ballads were the worst part of DM. So that's fine by me.

I agree about Unforgiven III - the worst song on the album AND the worst Unforgiven by some distance.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2542 on: August 30, 2016, 04:01:50 PM »
I hope that by ballad, Lars meant - songs that are largely acoustic or clean electric guitar-based.

I personally would consider Fixxxer, Carpe Diem Baby, Unforgiven 2, etc. to be ballads, and I think there is still hope for that.

I have no idea how you could consider Fixxxer or Carpe Diem Baby to be anything remotely similar to a ballad.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2543 on: August 30, 2016, 05:43:44 PM »
C'mon people, Metallica only did ballads one way (save Re/Load). "Fade to Black," "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)," "One," "Nothing Else Matters."

Offline Peace and Love

« Reply #2544 on: August 30, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »

I have no idea how you could consider Fixxxer or Carpe Diem Baby to be anything remotely similar to a ballad.

I guess our definitions of "ballad" may vary.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "a slow sentimental or romantic song". I think both Fixxxer and Carpe Diem Baby are slow sentimental songs.

Offline Adami

« Reply #2545 on: August 30, 2016, 06:34:36 PM »
So is Sad But True, Wherever I May Roam, and other songs I'm way too lazy to think about right now.

I think, in the context of the metal genre, that definition might not be completely accurate.

Unless we want to define ballads as "totally amazing songs", in which case those songs you listed are totally ballads.  :metal
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline seasonsinthesky

• roo)))m noise
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2546 on: August 30, 2016, 06:55:52 PM »

I guess our definitions of "ballad" may vary.

The Oxford English Dictionary defines it as "a slow sentimental or romantic song". I think both Fixxxer and Carpe Diem Baby are slow sentimental songs.

To be fair, the correct term as blossomed in '80s music journalism is 'power ballad.' The difference between power and non-power ballads these days can be very thin, with the constant hybridization and re-hybridization of genres. Metallica were pretty consistent with the method, though – all the songs I listed follow the same basic power ballad structure.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #2547 on: August 30, 2016, 07:18:44 PM »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline fadetoblackdude7

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #2549 on: August 30, 2016, 08:17:51 PM »

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2550 on: August 31, 2016, 10:05:30 AM »
Quality.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #2551 on: August 31, 2016, 03:40:21 PM »

Somehow I keep coming back to this album. My first Metallica album was The Black Album when I was around 7 years old. I thought it was their first because it was simply titled 'Metallica'. Then I got this and loved it straight away. It was only after these two that I got to know the thrash albums of the 80's.

I'll be the first to praise Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets, but I'm glad Load exists. It fails in spots, but where it succeeds there's some of the most astounding songs the band have ever written. James' vocals and lyrics are excellent and the production and guitar tones are just out of this world. It's not thrash metal, but it's good.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2016, 03:48:41 PM by PixelDream »
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2552 on: August 31, 2016, 03:53:53 PM »
Load & Reload are both great. I really don't know what people's problem with them are.

Reload was one of my first Metallica albums and I love it.

Furthermore : I think that the weakest tracks on Reload are better than Load's weakest tracks.

i.e I'd rather listen to " Better Than You " than " Poor Twisted Me " any day.

Plus Bleeding Me, Fixxxer , Where The Wild Things Are, Mama Said, Unforgiven II and The Outlaw Torn

Offline Adami

« Reply #2553 on: August 31, 2016, 03:55:12 PM »
Load & Reload are both great. I really don't know what people's problem with them are.

Reload was one of my first Metallica albums and I love it.

Furthermore : I think that the weakest tracks on Reload are better than Load's weakest tracks.

i.e I'd rather listen to " Better Than You " than " Poor Twisted Me " any day.

Agree 100%. Maybe more, but I'd have to check my math.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2554 on: August 31, 2016, 03:55:29 PM »
:hug: :hifive: