Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 114313 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #945 on: February 19, 2023, 04:46:50 PM »
Cool, thank you!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #946 on: February 19, 2023, 06:18:20 PM »
I would have been interested in the VIP but $300 is a LOT of money for me if a package does not include a ticket. I was curious as to how much time you actually get with the guys.

I totally get why these packages exist but it's so much money for the fans. At the end of the day I doubt the guys are even taking home that much...maybe $50-$75 a piece for each VIP ticket. The problem is the event organizer stepping in between and taking a big cut and doing close no work (reminds me of Ticketmaster!). The one time I did a VIP upgrade, I think I paid over $300. There was one guy from maybe Live Nation running the event. He was totally useless, couldn't care less about all the fans who were stoked to see their idol, and basically told everyone it was a free-for-all if you wanted to get your stuff signed or talk to the performer. Totally disorganized and overpriced, as we got maybe 10 seconds with our heroes.

I would be curious if the DT packages were done more professionally.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #947 on: February 20, 2023, 03:43:27 AM »
Deep Purple meets and greets are more than $1,000 and do not include Ian Gillan...

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #948 on: February 20, 2023, 06:01:44 AM »
I've done Haken's VIP a couple times. That tour with Sithu Aye was a great value, it was I want to say $75 and in addition to the standard sound check access and meet and greet with the band you also got to pick one shirt from the merch stand (which I would have shelled out $35 for anyway). The only time I spent more than $100 on a VIP pass was when Metal Allegiance played Brooklyn Bowl a few years ago, and I only did that one because it was a fairly unique experience in that you got to bowl with the band.

I would have been interested in the VIP but $300 is a LOT of money for me if a package does not include a ticket. I was curious as to how much time you actually get with the guys.

I totally get why these packages exist but it's so much money for the fans. At the end of the day I doubt the guys are even taking home that much...maybe $50-$75 a piece for each VIP ticket. The problem is the event organizer stepping in between and taking a big cut and doing close no work (reminds me of Ticketmaster!). The one time I did a VIP upgrade, I think I paid over $300. There was one guy from maybe Live Nation running the event. He was totally useless, couldn't care less about all the fans who were stoked to see their idol, and basically told everyone it was a free-for-all if you wanted to get your stuff signed or talk to the performer. Totally disorganized and overpriced, as we got maybe 10 seconds with our heroes.

I would be curious if the DT packages were done more professionally.

That sucks about the experience you had. I would guess the Winery Dogs version is more well run, I got the impression DT's were when they did them back in the late MP era, but I still feel like you're not going to get the amount of time with the guys where you feel like it's worth the price tag. $300 is a lot for an add-on. If it was $300 but came with a ticket with a guaranteed seat up close that would be an easier pill to swallow.
Photobucket sucks.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #949 on: February 20, 2023, 06:50:42 AM »
I did the M&G for the Neal Morse Band in CT, and it was pretty good.   You didn't get 30 minutes and coffee with each guy, but you did get a chance to ask a quick question and say hello.  I was stoked that Mike knew me (sort of) from his website, though I got a sort of glib response from Neal from something I said,  But in hindsight, it was harmless.  Fun all around.  Jon Anderson same way.  I brought Going For The One to be signed and told him it was my favorite album of all time and he acknowledged that and said he was quite proud of the orchestration on Awaken.  Throwaway lines, but it is what it is.  He's meeting 50-ish people in like 30-45 minutes.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #950 on: February 22, 2023, 11:16:19 AM »
Had a great time at the concert last night at Sony Hall in NYC.  I have no idea if there was an opening band or not as I got there at 8:30 and they were set to go on at 9pm.  Had a VIP seat which gave me a great view of the band.  The set is pretty strong, mostly rocker songs so it was a pretty energetic set.  The new songs came off well too.  Sound was great.  Billy and Mike looked like they were having a blast.  Much harder to read Ritchie as he's not the smiling type it seems.  But the show often felt like the Ritchie show.  Many of the songs had extended instrumental parts, usually in the outro, that just featured Ritchie going off.  I will say, with Ritchie having most of the spotlight and Billy having a bass solo spot, it did seem like MP should have gotten more spotlight time.  There was very little talk between songs, was kind of hoping for Billy and Mike to talk a bit about being in NY, they did mention it but briefly.  I did notice a few mess ups that were actually great.  Mostly because they were harmless mistakes but you could see the guys look at each other.  There was even one moment when MP messed up and Billy looked at him and grabbed one of the cymbals to stop it  :lol  But honestly, these are the moments I love.  You know it's 100% real live music.  And on some of the jams, you could see Ritchie give MP the look like this is when we end it.  Just cool to see stuff like that.  Also, the setlist doesn't reflect this, but before Regret during the encore, RItchie did a bit of Lorelie solo on the piano which was awesome.

I recorded my three favorite new songs as well (video and sound came out well!):

Breakthrough

The Red Wine

Stars

I don't think I'll have time to edit tonight, but my full video should be up tomorrow afternoon.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #951 on: February 22, 2023, 02:13:15 PM »
Im not sure what it is but their sound live just isnt IMO where it needs to be,,, I think Richie is having a throat issue??. 

I like Richie solo, I liked Smith Kotzen and I love WD studio 

Its odd as I like solo Richie more live than the CD

"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #952 on: February 22, 2023, 03:07:59 PM »
 :lol MP just shared some pics from the show last night, including the one I posted here (I also shared it on twitter last night)

• PR permission
« Reply #953 on: February 22, 2023, 06:06:48 PM »
The show was awesome - the Winery Dogs are awesome. It is crazy to think Billy is nearly 70!

I didn't think there was anything at all wrong with the sound. Richie didn't hit every note. There were some hooks where he changed a note or two - not sure why since it sounded like he may have sung a harder note - and it didn't land. Some other times when a note here or there was a little flat or sharp. Overall those moments were limited and he mostly nailed it. There were a couple of times when it sounded like his volume was too low and the notes weren't coming out of the guitar. Nitpicky things. They brought great energy, a great setlist and an overall great performance. I brought a discerning music-minded friend who doesn't know any of the songs and he was really impressed by MP-- loved his style. He felt like the experience of the members was really evident.

WDIII isn't a homerun but the show demonstrated that they still got it and are having fun. One of MP's best projects. Cheers to them!

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #954 on: February 22, 2023, 06:26:41 PM »
The show was awesome - the Winery Dogs are awesome. It is crazy to think Billy is nearly 70!

I didn't think there was anything at all wrong with the sound. Richie didn't hit every note. There were some hooks where he changed a note or two - not sure why since it sounded like he may have sung a harder note - and it didn't land. Some other times when a note here or there was a little flat or sharp. Overall those moments were limited and he mostly nailed it. There were a couple of times when it sounded like his volume was too low and the notes weren't coming out of the guitar. Nitpicky things. They brought great energy, a great setlist and an overall great performance. I brought a discerning music-minded friend who doesn't know any of the songs and he was really impressed by MP-- loved his style. He felt like the experience of the members was really evident.

WDIII isn't a homerun but the show demonstrated that they still got it and are having fun. One of MP's best projects. Cheers to them!

awesome!!!!  glad it was a great show!
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #955 on: February 22, 2023, 06:32:04 PM »
:lol MP just shared some pics from the show last night, including the one I posted here (I also shared it on twitter last night)

thank you Cram   you rock

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #956 on: February 22, 2023, 06:38:27 PM »
Cram, your video for Stars came up in my feed. Your video is outstanding.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• PR permission
« Reply #957 on: February 22, 2023, 06:52:48 PM »
one other thing. There was an opening act that was similar stylistically. The gulf between the abilities and sound of the two bands was so immense, it's pretty impressive. When you hear them one after the other it makes you appreciate these 3 guys even more.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #958 on: February 22, 2023, 08:50:18 PM »

thank you Cram   you rock

Upon further review, I take it back. It's almost exactly the same, I thought someone touched up the lighting but the faces are so slightly off.

Yeah, my full video is done and came out really well. I had a great spot. Thanks

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #959 on: February 22, 2023, 08:56:01 PM »

Yea it really is a great video

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #960 on: February 22, 2023, 11:23:33 PM »
I did notice a few mess ups that were actually great.  Mostly because they were harmless mistakes but you could see the guys look at each other.  There was even one moment when MP messed up and Billy looked at him and grabbed one of the cymbals to stop it  :lol  But honestly, these are the moments I love.  You know it's 100% real live music.  And on some of the jams, you could see Ritchie give MP the look like this is when we end it.  Just cool to see stuff like that. 

A proper live show. That's what I pay money for. And that's good because they're in Wolverhampton in a couple of months so I think I'll go.

That part where Richie is scatting (the only word I can think of to use) over the solo he's playing... that's someone who is at the top of their game.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #961 on: February 23, 2023, 06:38:03 AM »

I recorded my three favorite new songs as well (video and sound came out well!):

Breakthrough

The Red Wine

Stars

I don't think I'll have time to edit tonight, but my full video should be up tomorrow afternoon.

Wow, amazing!! Thanks!!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Trav86

« Reply #962 on: February 23, 2023, 07:49:44 AM »
I just got my ticket for the Dallas show.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: February 23, 2023, 09:17:11 AM »
I just want to add, the end of Regret is incredible.  All the feels from Ritchies playing from when he gets off the keyboard and just unloads on guitar up to the final chorus.

Also, here's my full video from the NYC show (40+ minutes of good quality):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZPnXfzMt9M

I just got my ticket for the Dallas show.

Nice, you'll enjoy it

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #964 on: February 27, 2023, 06:50:41 PM »
The opening band, We Came From Space, wasn't the best stylistic match for the show, but I really liked their set.  Ended up buying their albums.  It's got Bill Hubauer, so that should be a solid endorsement if you like his work in The Neal Morse Band.

I went to the show mostly for Portnoy and Sheehan, as I only had the first album and it didn't move the needle for me when I bought it 11 years ago, and didn't do much for me when I revisited it a few weeks ago.  My thoughts were - World class drummer and bass player with some dude who was in Poison after their hayday, just an excuse for Mike to play some straight forward rock.  Richie impressed me last night with his playing.  The Winery Dogs probably aren't ever going to be a top 5 MP act for me just because I want something more proggy or metal, but they put on a hell of a show even though Mike seemed the most subdued of the bunch.

That's why I like them. Can never go wrong with a rhythm section of Sheehan and Portnoy (especially live) I there for the noodling.  Missed them this time around. Never bought tickets. But Ritchie's playing and vocals impressed me too. Not enough to over shadow the other two of course, but definitely not out of place. Great live band.  They'd come out on top over Sons Of Apollo and Adrenaline Mob easily.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #965 on: February 28, 2023, 07:19:11 AM »
The opening band, We Came From Space, wasn't the best stylistic match for the show, but I really liked their set.  Ended up buying their albums.  It's got Bill Hubauer, so that should be a solid endorsement if you like his work in The Neal Morse Band.

I went to the show mostly for Portnoy and Sheehan, as I only had the first album and it didn't move the needle for me when I bought it 11 years ago, and didn't do much for me when I revisited it a few weeks ago.  My thoughts were - World class drummer and bass player with some dude who was in Poison after their hayday, just an excuse for Mike to play some straight forward rock.  Richie impressed me last night with his playing.  The Winery Dogs probably aren't ever going to be a top 5 MP act for me just because I want something more proggy or metal, but they put on a hell of a show even though Mike seemed the most subdued of the bunch.

That's why I like them. Can never go wrong with a rhythm section of Sheehan and Portnoy (especially live) I there for the noodling.  Missed them this time around. Never bought tickets. But Ritchie's playing and vocals impressed me too. Not enough to over shadow the other two of course, but definitely not out of place. Great live band.  They'd come out on top over Sons Of Apollo and Adrenaline Mob easily.

Way to go out on a limb!   :) :) :) :) :) :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2023, 08:22:35 AM by Stadler »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #966 on: February 28, 2023, 07:55:46 AM »
I'd say SOA do put up a fight against TWD in terms of live show.  At the end of the day, it's not too different.  Same drummer/bassist, but the guys in SOA are also extremely talented musicians.  If you saw them live, you'd be pretty impressed.  And they are also another 100% live band.  The difference comes down to the songs and the songs for TWD, to me, fit soo much better with Richie fronting the band than the SOA songs work with JSS.  Point being, I think TWD would win in that match up and it would come down to the songs and not so much the performance as I thought the live performance of SOA was really the only thing that stood out about that band. 

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #967 on: February 28, 2023, 08:22:24 AM »
I'd say SOA do put up a fight against TWD in terms of live show.  At the end of the day, it's not too different.  Same drummer/bassist, but the guys in SOA are also extremely talented musicians.  If you saw them live, you'd be pretty impressed.  And they are also another 100% live band.  The difference comes down to the songs and the songs for TWD, to me, fit soo much better with Richie fronting the band than the SOA songs work with JSS.  Point being, I think TWD would win in that match up and it would come down to the songs and not so much the performance as I thought the live performance of SOA was really the only thing that stood out about that band.

I don't listen to either all that much at home, but both were KILLER live.

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #968 on: February 28, 2023, 04:53:13 PM »
I got to see The Winery Dogs last night here in New Jersey.  Such a great live band.  The sound was a little rough at the beginning.  But, things got ironed out pretty quickly. 

For me, "Regret" was one of the high points of the show, for sure.  For one, it was a nice change of pace to have one song that's not at a breakneck speed.  And, it showcased Richie's talents even more.  My friend who came with me, who knew nothing about the band (didn't even know who the 3 guys were), came away with that as his favorite part of the show.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: February 28, 2023, 06:03:43 PM »
Yup, Regret was incredible live.  Hope you caught Richie's Lorelei intro to it too

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #970 on: February 28, 2023, 06:29:28 PM »
Regret has always been a highlight for me. A favorite from the debut album and it always delivers live.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #971 on: March 01, 2023, 06:25:01 PM »

Way to go out on a limb!   :) :) :) :) :) :)

There's not really a limb.  (I got the sarcasm.) The Transatlantic, Liquid Tension Experiment, Neal Morse, Flying Colors experiences are much more in my wheelhouse and push more of the envelope then say Sons Of Apollo and Adrenaline Mob. Winery Dogs are solidly in the middle of that for me and seemingly why they might have a wider commercial appeal.  They are radio friendly and probably get some radio airplay and there is still something interesting to listen to for those that want that.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #972 on: March 01, 2023, 06:32:20 PM »

I'm not sure I can name a project that Mike has involved with that isn't a killer live band (I'm not counting performances where he filled in for someone.) But that's pretty much a prerequisite if Mike is going to be involved. I'm not an Adrenaline Mob fan at all, but I did see their first ever show and they brought it 110%. It just wasn't my style of music and Mike was the only guy in the band I was interested in seeing.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #973 on: March 13, 2023, 11:55:38 AM »
west coast dates incoming.  LA already announced on 5/17

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #974 on: March 13, 2023, 12:20:29 PM »
Saw them last Friday. Show was sold out and the crowd was pretty raucous. I was rather surprised. Richie has finally settled into role of frontman, it seems. Even my buddy who saw them with me on the very first tour was quick to point out that Richie was much more animated and was frequently playing to the crowd. He also extended many of his solo spots which were fantastic. Billy performed one of the best bass solos I think I have ever seen. The man just does things with that instrument that I don't see many doing.

All in all, they brought it and it was fantastic. What I can't fathom, is that Billy is a few days from 70. My hands don't work like his and I could not be up there moving all around the stage for 90+ minutes a night like that. I can only hope to be somewhat as fit as him at that age.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2023, 01:52:27 PM by ProfessorPeart »
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #975 on: March 13, 2023, 01:40:46 PM »
"California (and Las Vegas), you’ve been patiently waiting and here they finally are!! May 202III 🍷🐾

Yes we realize there are A LOT of markets on the west coast we are missing (we see you AZ, CO, OR, WA, etc) but this was all we were able to squeeze in during the available window between Latin America and Europe (and the markets where the promoters stepped up with reasonable offers)…we are already talking of extending this tour into 2024 because of the great demand for shows, so fingers crossed we can get to you then. In the meantime, perhaps take a trip to us if we’re not making it to you! C-ya then…

May 17th - Los Angeles, CA - The Regent Theater
May 18th - Anaheim, CA - The Grove
May 19th - San Diego, CA - Belly Up
May 20th - Ventura, CA - The Ventura Theater
May 23rd - San Francisco, CA - Great American Music Hall
May 25th - Fresno, CA - Tower Theater
May 27th - Roseville, CA - Gold
May 28th - Las Vegas, NV - Vampd"

Offline emtee

« Reply #976 on: March 13, 2023, 02:00:03 PM »
Even though this band isn't really my cuppa, I'm very happy for them that they're drawing good crowds.
I wish them success.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #977 on: March 13, 2023, 07:18:40 PM »
What I can't fathom, is that Billy is a few days from 70. My hands don't work like his and I could not be up there moving all around the stage for 90+ minutes a night like that. I can only hope to be somewhat as fit as him at that age.

It's science-tology, bitch!!!

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #978 on: March 14, 2023, 12:04:39 PM »
For anyone planning to attend the Anaheim date, presale starts Thursday @ 10AM with code XANADU  :tup

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: March 16, 2023, 11:41:07 AM »
A friend of mine in Colombia is inviting me to attend the concert in Bogota, he also invited my wife, so I am so stoked to finally be able to watch this band live. My wife loves Kotzen more than I love MP so we both are really happy about this opportunity.
I went to check the VIP tickets and sadly (or happily I must say) those are not offered to the Colombian show (the only show along with one in Brazi not offering VIP tickets in South America) I said happily because I checked the price of the VIP tickets for the other shows and noticed those costs $300 USD + fees.
In any case, I'll be looking forward to a great show.
 :metal