Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 443014 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)
« Reply #5950 on: April 25, 2022, 05:29:27 PM »
Haken's lead singles have been a dud for me from the last three albums, even on Affinity (where every other song was a major winner), so I won't write them off if this song isn't to my liking, but I will reiterate that my expectations for them in general are drastically lower following two pretty average albums combined with the departure of my favorite member of the band.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #5951 on: April 25, 2022, 05:34:01 PM »
Kev, have you heard the Nova Colective album.  Pete is excellent on it.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5952 on: April 25, 2022, 05:37:18 PM »
No, I have not, but the last thing I need right now is something new, as I am so behind already.  :lol :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5953 on: April 25, 2022, 05:48:38 PM »
Lolol. It would give you an idea of Pete's playing style.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5954 on: April 25, 2022, 11:19:00 PM »
A couple listens in and I already like this song much more than all of Virus :lol

The Haken I love is back :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5955 on: April 25, 2022, 11:39:31 PM »
So freaking jealous right now.  :angry:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #5956 on: April 25, 2022, 11:41:02 PM »
My first impression is that it sounds a bit like the more offbeat whackiness of The Mountain, but with riffs akin to what's on Vector/Virus, but also something new I can't quite put my finger on. It's not quite as a dark as Virus, but more on par with the darkest songs from the first four albums. Something that struck me production-wise (at least from the YouTube version which is all I've heard, is how not up-front the guitars are, despite being pretty audible. That's some magic mixing wizardry there. The keyboards have tons of room to breathe.

Another note, is it just me, or does Ross sound ridiculously good on this? Something about his performance, and the way his voice is produced/mixed on this song, seems to bring out all the best from his voice.

Btw, I noticed they got Jens Bogren back on board. I liked what he did for them from The Mountain to Affinity, and this sounds even better than those by a wide margin.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #5957 on: April 25, 2022, 11:44:19 PM »
https://youtu.be/zh-zbJfDO40

After 1 listen - I don't hate it, but I didn't really get into it right away. Album context might bring me around to it though. Very rhythmically complex!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5958 on: April 26, 2022, 12:20:21 AM »
My first impression is that it sounds a bit like the more offbeat whackiness of The Mountain, but with riffs akin to what's on Vector/Virus, but also something new I can't quite put my finger on. It's not quite as a dark as Virus, but more on par with the darkest songs from the first four albums. Something that struck me production-wise (at least from the YouTube version which is all I've heard, is how not up-front the guitars are, despite being pretty audible. That's some magic mixing wizardry there. The keyboards have tons of room to breathe.

Another note, is it just me, or does Ross sound ridiculously good on this? Something about his performance, and the way his voice is produced/mixed on this song, seems to bring out all the best from his voice.

Btw, I noticed they got Jens Bogren back on board. I liked what he did for them from The Mountain to Affinity, and this sounds even better than those by a wide margin.
This is all really perceptive, some great observations. A few thoughts in response:

Yep, Bogren is back. What I really like about this is that he's managed to maintain enough of the punchy sound from Vector/Virus, but not at the expense of his trademark sense of atmosphere. The man is a genius and I'm really glad Haken are using him again, and I completely agree that this is the best he's made Haken sound.

Your comments on the guitars/keys mix are great to read. My understanding is that the band paid attention to this - not in a "this is a keys-led song" way or anything, but in more of a "the guitars are too dominant in some places" sort of way.

Also cool to see your comments about Ross, again I agree. I think (but I might be wrong) that on Vector and Virus he'd recorded his vocals with Diego and they ended up sounding a bit processed (although I personally still thought he sounded great). He sounds more natural here and stronger for it.

Finally in terms of style, yes my view is similar. Some Mountain, with a bit of Vector and in my opinion a bit of Visions in there too.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5959 on: April 26, 2022, 12:22:40 AM »
https://youtu.be/zh-zbJfDO40

After 1 listen - I don't hate it, but I didn't really get into it right away. Album context might bring me around to it though. Very rhythmically complex!

-Marc.
Not sure it's unusually complex for them (some sections of other songs I still can't quite follow having listened for years :lol - which isn't the case here). But yes it's not a very immediate song - it's somewhat rhythmically complex, the song structure is unusual, and the melodic hooks don't quite go where you might expect at first.

If you plan to give it several listens now (rather than waiting for an album) I'd be interested to see what you think.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 02:56:02 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #5960 on: April 26, 2022, 02:06:22 AM »
I prefer the atmosphere over Virus, but I miss the ability to easily distinguish both guitar lines at all times.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #5961 on: April 26, 2022, 02:14:59 AM »
Could this be their best song in years?
Unsure yet whether I prefer this one over Invasion and Puzzle Box (my favourites from the last two albums), but I can see it overtaking them eventually.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5962 on: April 26, 2022, 02:16:24 AM »
I gave it a listen this morning, and as expected it's a lot to take in. It needs many more spins before it all clicks with me. But I really like the sound and mix of it.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline emtee

« Reply #5963 on: April 26, 2022, 03:16:31 AM »
First spin was at 4 am while waking up. I don't recommend this 😀.

Not sure what to think yet.

Offline TM172003

« Reply #5964 on: April 26, 2022, 04:07:15 AM »
I love the chorus and the general mix sounds good but to my ears the drums don’t sound as punchy as they did on Vector/Virus.

I do like it from the first listen but it’ll definitely be a grower, it’s a lot to take in.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5965 on: April 26, 2022, 04:47:29 AM »
That was a great track. Is that the artwork they're going for just the track or the whole album?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5966 on: April 26, 2022, 06:01:13 AM »
Watch the video here: https://youtu.be/IeENKWcitCw

Stream & download the track here: https://haken.lnk.to/Nightingale-Single

The band comments:

"Nightingale was the first track Pete Jones presented to the band after rejoining Haken this year. The initial song idea quickly inspired of the classic Haken sound and naturally evolved into some new harmonic territory. The song ranges from delicate moments to monstrous riffs.

We enlisted Jens Bogren to mix Nightingale and, as always, he’s blown us away by capturing every detail while delivering power and energy. We couldn’t be happier with the finished product.

Lyrically, the song reflects on the creative process itself; with a message that although it may be difficult of late, we must remember to be thankful for the positives in life; be they big or small."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5967 on: April 26, 2022, 06:27:23 AM »
Just gave Nightingale a spin and I liked it more than most of the stuff Haken I've heard (which isn't much to begin with). I love the heaviness of the track but I don't like the quirkiness of it. I'm interesting in giving the album a spin because this song does have some beautiful moments.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5968 on: April 26, 2022, 07:21:30 AM »
On the first spin, I really really really liked that!

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #5969 on: April 26, 2022, 07:40:29 AM »

Yes! This is, by far, more interesting to my ears than virtually anything on the previous two albums.

Listening to Aquarious and Visions, I'm always struck by the raw emotion in Ross' voice, emotion that becomes muted by the prouduction tecniques used on later albums.

His solo disc proves that he has the chops to croon, and there are a few moments here where he does just that.

As for the music, Gaspar is spot on: a solid mix of styles here.

Can't wait to hear this in the context of the record!

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5970 on: April 26, 2022, 07:50:33 AM »
Great mix on this, sound is great here.  First listen and as others have said, I'm going to need more to really "get" this song.  Having said that, I did enjoy it on first listen, but kind of hard to form much of an opinion besides what is very clear to me that this is a good mix and the band sounds great.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #5971 on: April 26, 2022, 08:07:28 AM »
So. Fucking. Good.

Online NoFred

« Reply #5972 on: April 26, 2022, 09:51:25 AM »

Yes! This is, by far, more interesting to my ears than virtually anything on the previous two albums.

Listening to Aquarious and Visions, I'm always struck by the raw emotion in Ross' voice, emotion that becomes muted by the prouduction tecniques used on later albums.

His solo disc proves that he has the chops to croon, and there are a few moments here where he does just that.

As for the music, Gaspar is spot on: a solid mix of styles here.

Can't wait to hear this in the context of the record!

Good song, the denser visions sound but with their more all over the place writing.

Ross comment on a Reddit post comparing Nightingale to his solo and Novena work:

Thanks for the comment! For Nightingale, I made the decision to have my vocals engineered by the same guy who produced Novena's stuff, since I also felt they sit among my finest work. We have a great working relationship and he really gets the best out of my voice. His name is Paul Winstanley and he also engineered my solo album vocals too! All previous Haken releases have been self produced/engineered by band members. Rj

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5973 on: April 26, 2022, 12:04:43 PM »
This just in:

The new single is pretty damn good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5974 on: April 26, 2022, 12:34:31 PM »
This just in:

Excellent, I'll let Pete know that the hef hath spoken.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5975 on: April 26, 2022, 12:37:49 PM »
This just in:

Tell him The Dude abides!!

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5976 on: April 26, 2022, 02:08:51 PM »
This just in:

He's going to think I've lost my mind. :lol

Perhaps I'll just let him know that DTF digs the song and sends their best wishes. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline 425

« Reply #5977 on: April 26, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
Just listened to it once, and I agree with the positive impressions that have been posted here. Definitely a move in a stylistic direction that interests me more than the last couple of albums did, and I liked the song itself.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5978 on: April 26, 2022, 02:43:14 PM »
This just in:

He's going to think I've lost my mind. :lol

Perhaps I'll just let him know that DTF digs the song and sends their best wishes. :P

Send him a picture of the Hefnotoad. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #5979 on: April 26, 2022, 03:01:52 PM »
This just in:

Yes, and ask when there will be another Nova Collective project, because that shit is fire.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #5980 on: April 26, 2022, 03:11:31 PM »
To echo some of the comments already made here, Nightingale is amazing :metal :metal :metal

To me, it sounds like Visions and The Mountain combined with a little bit of Vector thrown in there, and I agree that bringing Jens Bogren back was the best decision sonically, as I'm not a fan of the sound of Virus at all.

Now, some things I hope happen next in Haken land are:
- They get to finally record that Vector/Virus live album this year and include a live version of Nightingale with it.
- We also get the new studio album soon, either later this year or very early next year.
- They give the Restoration treatment to the other 3 songs from the original demo to bring them full circle now that Pete's back in the band. They could probably include them as bonus tracks on their new album, since they apparently write shorter albums now.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #5981 on: April 26, 2022, 04:18:31 PM »
Gotta say, how I'm listening to Nightingale is really affecting how much I enjoy it. Generally at work I have one earbud in, with everything mono to it, and I was having a hard time. But then when I was able to listen with both or watch the video at home it's certainly growing on me. I generally agree however with those that say it's a pretty hard "single" to get into.

Knowing that their cruise sets will most likely be an hour each, here is my prediction based on what was originally hoped for 2020.

Set 1:
Vector in full
The Endless Knot or Initiate
Cockroach King

Set 2:
Virus in full
Nightingale

Then, for the SX tour I'm expecting something like:
Prosthetic
The Good Doctor
The Endless Knot
Nightingale
Carousel (That's what I want, but it'll likely be Invasion or The Strain more realistically)
Cockroach King

And even that might be a little long.

I think they wanted to get a Peter song out and in front of people for a reason and so I think they'll play that, otherwise they could have held it till after the tour and closer to album release.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5982 on: April 26, 2022, 07:09:14 PM »
Will need more listens, but the new song sounded pretty good on the first one.  Sound and production reminded me of the last three albums.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #5983 on: April 26, 2022, 11:18:27 PM »
Knowing that their cruise sets will most likely be an hour each, here is my prediction based on what was originally hoped for 2020.

Set 1:
Vector in full
The Endless Knot or Initiate
Cockroach King

Set 2:
Virus in full
Nightingale
Nope. :P

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5984 on: April 27, 2022, 04:17:59 AM »
Well, the new song is definitely not for me. But that is to be expected. Based on the latest trend with Haken, this is an album that I probably won't like. I'll have to wait for the next one  :lol
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants.