Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 443025 times)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Haken v. Virus (now July 24th)
« Reply #4410 on: July 09, 2020, 08:58:00 AM »
Wow wtf

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4411 on: July 09, 2020, 09:14:06 AM »
I would be worried, but my interest/excitement for the band had decreased a lot since Vector, to the point where I only checked the first single and didn't bother with the rest. I'll probably listen to the album once it's out, but I just don't like their current musical direction at all. They're just a fancy djent band at this point.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #4412 on: July 09, 2020, 09:44:26 AM »
I really hope the band at least discloses why they keep postponing it.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4413 on: July 09, 2020, 10:00:18 AM »
I really hope the band at least discloses why they keep postponing it.

They need to before people check out IMO.  I mean, they have their fans and all but the people on the fringe will lose interest if the band doesn't start explaining things.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #4414 on: July 09, 2020, 10:20:13 AM »
I would be worried, but my interest/excitement for the band had decreased a lot since Vector, to the point where I only checked the first single and didn't bother with the rest. I'll probably listen to the album once it's out, but I just don't like their current musical direction at all. They're just a fancy djent band at this point.

Having been “infected with the Virus” so to say, if you didn’t like Vector you probably won’t like the new album.

I don’t mind the new direction, but I feel like they’ve taken it as far as they can without being full blown Djent. I hope they dial it back a bit next time.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4415 on: July 09, 2020, 10:48:40 AM »
Someone on reddit posted this
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/cd-haken-virus-cd

Release date October 30th

Say it ain’t so...

Seems unlikely considering I saw a Facebook post from InsideOutMusic this morning showing off the 2CD Media book and even confirmed the July 24th release date. If it had changed again, I doubt they would have posted that today.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4416 on: July 09, 2020, 10:50:56 AM »
Someone on reddit posted this
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/cd-haken-virus-cd

Release date October 30th

Say it ain’t so...

Seems unlikely considering I saw a Facebook post from InsideOutMusic this morning showing off the 2CD Media book and even confirmed the July 24th release date. If it had changed again, I doubt they would have posted that today.

-Marc.

Yep. There’s also a retweet from 7 hours ago from the label that still shows July 24th as the release date.

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4417 on: July 09, 2020, 04:34:37 PM »
Guys it says this on the JB Hi Fi page. It's just when they expect to get stock.
Please note that due to distributing issues, stock is delayed. Stock is expected to arrive in store & online as per the displayed release date. Expected timeframe is subject to change
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg
« Reply #4418 on: July 09, 2020, 05:03:05 PM »
B-b-but Reddit said....

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4419 on: July 10, 2020, 04:37:17 AM »
Ok so as far as I'm aware, there's no change to 30th October and that one website just has a made up date. As I understand it the band is still confident about 24th July.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #4420 on: July 10, 2020, 06:56:03 AM »

The Mountain showed such promise and their sound now sounds far from that.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4421 on: July 10, 2020, 07:00:07 AM »
Unfortunately, the band’s confidence can make little difference. If IDontNotDoThings is correct (haven’t checked the source yet) and they don’t have an absolutely confirmed set in stone shipping date for the pressings, there’s still a likelihood of postponings (they even warned that it’s subject to change). I don’t know which pressing plant they are at, but we’ve also been experiencing a lot of pressing delays at Pelagic since corona started. Luckily most of these were in production way in advance so won’t result in release delays, but you don’t always have the luxury to start production early.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4422 on: July 10, 2020, 07:15:12 AM »

I wouldn't read too much into "their sound now" - the only reason Virus's core sound is so similar to Vector (despite being a bit more varied) is that it's a direct sequel. The next album won't be, and so I would very much expect it to sound fairly different again.

Unfortunately, the band’s confidence can make little difference. If IDontNotDoThings is correct (haven’t checked the source yet) and they don’t have an absolutely confirmed set in stone shipping date for the pressings, there’s still a likelihood of postponings (they even warned that it’s subject to change). I don’t know which pressing plant they are at, but we’ve also been experiencing a lot of pressing delays at Pelagic since corona started. Luckily most of these were in production way in advance so won’t result in release delays, but you don’t always have the luxury to start production early.
Yeah I wasn't meaning that the band's confidence had any impact on the practicalities of the situation, but rather the other way round - because of where things are with the current situation, the band is more confident about the release date.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #4423 on: July 10, 2020, 07:19:18 AM »
You quote the entire post but it seems like you only reply to my first sentence (which was kind of silly I admit).

I mean to say that if IDNDT’s source is legit, then it’s still very much unsure whether this release date can be confirmed.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4424 on: July 10, 2020, 07:24:03 AM »
You quote the entire post but it seems like you only reply to my first sentence (which was kind of silly I admit).
:lol Ok fair.

I mean to say that if IDNDT’s source is legit, then it’s still very much unsure whether this release date can be confirmed.
Oh yeah for sure and I'm not stating that it's 100% confirmed (and honestly I don't know whether it is, but it could well be). Obviously I don't know all the details, just that as far as I'm aware things are now on track for 24th.

As for that particular source, it's just one web store.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #4425 on: July 10, 2020, 08:17:05 AM »

I wouldn't read too much into "their sound now" - the only reason Virus's core sound is so similar to Vector (despite being a bit more varied) is that it's a direct sequel. The next album won't be, and so I would very much expect it to sound fairly different again.

I hope you're right, but it's not just Vector/Virus, their sound has been slowly morphing into this for a while now. I discovered Haken around 2011, just after Visions was released, but my introduction song was Celestial Elixir, and I loved it instantly. Then The Mountain came and that solidified them as one of my favorite bands at that time.

Restoration was really good and a nice change for those old songs, it was a nice taste of what things could be like for the, then, next album. Then Affinity arrived and there were songs I didn't care at all about, though I still enjoyed the album, it wasn't as much as the previous ones.
Then Vector came and I was disappointed by their musical direction once again and that I was disliking a few songs on a very short album. Not just being "meh" about them, but actually disliking songs.

Now Virus seems to continue those choices even further and, while I've only listened to the first single, I'm not excited at all about this, and that song did absolutely nothing for me vs The Good Doctor which was a fun/catchy single.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4426 on: July 10, 2020, 10:50:51 AM »
As someone who loved Vector, I anticipate loving Virus. I also have no issue with the delay. When it's ready and available, I listen to it. A delayed album is small potatoes when compared to life's issues, in my opinion.

Offline Dedalus

« Reply #4427 on: July 10, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »

I hope you're right, but it's not just Vector/Virus, their sound has been slowly morphing into this for a while now. I discovered Haken around 2011, just after Visions was released, but my introduction song was Celestial Elixir, and I loved it instantly. Then The Mountain came and that solidified them as one of my favorite bands at that time.

Restoration was really good and a nice change for those old songs, it was a nice taste of what things could be like for the, then, next album. Then Affinity arrived and there were songs I didn't care at all about, though I still enjoyed the album, it wasn't as much as the previous ones.
Then Vector came and I was disappointed by their musical direction once again and that I was disliking a few songs on a very short album. Not just being "meh" about them, but actually disliking songs.

Now Virus seems to continue those choices even further and, while I've only listened to the first single, I'm not excited at all about this, and that song did absolutely nothing for me vs The Good Doctor which was a fun/catchy single.

Oh, I can understand.

I discovered Haken with The Mountain, and I was very impressed (still love the album). The feeling was that I had finally discovered another great prog metal band (unlike prog rock, I think prog metal is a genre with few good bands and many not so good bands).

After listening to The Mountain several times, I went to check out the old records. OK, not so good as The Mountain. Some cool moments, others very generic here and there. Acceptable, though.
Restoration was very interesting, although I haven't heard this EP in a few years (I need to...). Affinity came and I didn't like it. A very brave change of sound, but I didn't like the result and I never listened to it again (I think I really need to reevaluate the album nowadays).
With Vector I came to the conclusion that it is not a band for me.

Being very strict, I consider that the only album I really love is The Mountain. As it was the first one I listened to, I usually joke that it deceived me.  :lol

Offline Heretic

• hold your head up high
  • DTF.org Member
  • never give up, never give in
« Reply #4428 on: July 10, 2020, 02:12:06 PM »
Rich, I'm guessing spoilers aren't allowed in the thread, correct? Just have quite the urge to discuss this album haha.

(This is why DTF needs a discord server!)

Offline IDontNotDoThings

« Reply #4429 on: July 10, 2020, 06:55:48 PM »

I get what you're saying, but I think I should mention the detail that JB Hi Fi is an Australian retailer, so the shipping delays there could simply be because of its geographic location (which I doubt IO has a pressing plant at).

Still, it is worrysome that IO may delay the album until it can be shipped everywhere.

(This is why DTF needs a discord server!)

There already is one. https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=50543.0

& there's also a Haken server, which I can DM you the link if you want.
ドリームシアターはあまり好きではありませんが、ペンと紙を持っていたので、なんてこった。

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4430 on: July 10, 2020, 07:01:11 PM »
No clue is the album had already "dripped," but it's inevitable and continued delays will only result in fans finding ways to get it on the down low and then not buying it when it is eventually released next March (or 2022, or 2024).  Like it or not, that is the culture we are in now, and it's a huge blunder for both the label and the band to not be specific as to why there have been multiple delays.  DoC is right in that there are far bigger issues in the world right now, but that doesn't negate how poorly this whole thing has been handled by both the band and the label.  Fans are the customers, and this just isn't good customer service.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4431 on: July 11, 2020, 02:13:09 AM »
I doubt that fans cancel preorders when an album leaks.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #4432 on: July 11, 2020, 02:23:08 AM »
They might if they don't like the album.

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4433 on: July 11, 2020, 02:36:12 AM »
Can't speak for everyone, but the album must really suck and the band must put a couple of sucky album in a row for me to decide to not buy their new album if I already have all of their previous albums in my collection. I don't have this album pre-ordered as my financial situation is a bit screwed due to Covid, but even if I don't like this album, I'll still buy it because the previous five were good and I would want to have my Haken studio albums collection complete.

This is what happened with Sonata Arctica btw, I kept buying their albums after The Days of Grays because I had all of their other albums but the quality kept declining to the point that I held Talviyo (their latest album) in my hands in Amsterdam music store a few weeks after release and I just put it back on the shelf because I'm done with this band.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4434 on: July 11, 2020, 06:40:47 AM »

Okay, but I would not assume that all or even most fans pre-order upcoming releases.  For many fans, like me, who only buy stuff digitally now, there is no need to pre-order it.  Heck, even back when I was still buying physical copies of new CD's, I rarely pre-ordered them.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #4435 on: July 11, 2020, 06:49:25 AM »
I rarely buy albums before listening to them a few times. There are a few bands that I preorder albums from until they consistently drop in quality, Haken are one of them.

Existence of pre-release leaks or streams has zero effect on my purchase behaviour. I don't assume that everyone ticks like me, but I'm certain that my behaviour is rather common nowadays.

Offline Revenge319

• I once thought it better to regret...
« Reply #4436 on: July 11, 2020, 07:51:45 AM »
I think Haken's currently in a "can do no wrong" phase for me; all of their releases thus far are absolutely amazing. For album rankings, The Mountain, Affinity, and Vector are all tied for #1, Aquarius is #2, and Visions is #3 (I still haven't revisited Restoration, but I'll get to it). Dream Theater is still the best to me, but I think it's safe to say that Haken is my #2 band.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #4437 on: July 11, 2020, 10:06:57 AM »
Their opening four, to my ears, is the greatest opening four in the history of prog rock with only Pain of Salvation being close.

Vector...wasn’t bad. In fact it would’ve been a fantastic album for anyone else. But the first four were so hard to live up to, and Vector just doesn’t. But I already love the three singles from virus a lot more than I liked anything on vector.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4438 on: July 11, 2020, 10:31:01 AM »
So, If you pre-order the CD did you get a digital copy now?  I ask because my brother in law said  "Hey Bro. I received an early release of the Haken album, Virus. Officially it doesn't come out until the 24th. I pre ordered the CD (better quality)" 

Now, he's a real stand up guy and have a tough time believing he found a pirated copy?  Am I wrong?  Or did pre-order folks get a stream link?

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4439 on: July 11, 2020, 10:43:11 AM »
So, If you pre-order the CD did you get a digital copy now?  I ask because my brother in law said  "Hey Bro. I received an early release of the Haken album, Virus. Officially it doesn't come out until the 24th. I pre ordered the CD (better quality)" 

Now, he's a real stand up guy and have a tough time believing he found a pirated copy?  Am I wrong?  Or did pre-order folks get a stream link?

As far as I know, no outlets have offered a download or streaming option for the album yet. Even if they did, it wouldn't be available until the (currently) official release date.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4440 on: July 11, 2020, 10:57:14 AM »
Thanks Marc.  I will have to ask him when I talk to him next.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #4441 on: July 11, 2020, 02:18:04 PM »
Rich, I'm guessing spoilers aren't allowed in the thread, correct? Just have quite the urge to discuss this album haha.
Really appreciate you asking! :tup Yeah I'd prefer to keep the forum free of spoilery discussion until the release date, apart from what's in official reviews of course.

No clue is the album had already "dripped," but it's inevitable and continued delays will only result in fans finding ways to get it on the down low and then not buying it when it is eventually released next March (or 2022, or 2024).  Like it or not, that is the culture we are in now, and it's a huge blunder for both the label and the band to not be specific as to why there have been multiple delays.  DoC is right in that there are far bigger issues in the world right now, but that doesn't negate how poorly this whole thing has been handled by both the band and the label.  Fans are the customers, and this just isn't good customer service.
With all due respect, this post appears to assume that it was within the band's or label's power to publicly be specific about why the album has been delayed a few times, but there's no evidence that that's the case or that it's been handled badly. The fact that online culture is now considerably more entitled and impatient doesn't mean they could do anything about it.

I do hope people can have just a bit more patience - it's less than two weeks now and from what I understand everything is now on track to meet that.

I be am boner inducing.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4442 on: July 11, 2020, 02:48:54 PM »

As far as I know, no outlets have offered a download or streaming option for the album yet. Even if they did, it wouldn't be available until the (currently) official release date.

-Marc.

A pirated copy is being shared all over the unofficial Haken discord.  I'm holding out, although tempted to download it as I see lots of people talking about it, but I'm mostly just avoiding that place at this point.  Less then 2 weeks away, I can wait, but if say it gets pushed to October without any explanation.. I may not be able to resist the temptation. 

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4443 on: July 11, 2020, 04:27:42 PM »
I'm holding out, although tempted to download it as I see lots of people talking  I can wait, but if say it gets pushed to October without any explanation.. I may not be able to resist the temptation.
:lol :lol :lol

Yeah, I thought what he gave me was legit.  I feel a little bad now.  Regardless, I will more than likely buy the CD, cause I still like hard copies of my favorite bands works

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #4444 on: July 11, 2020, 04:36:19 PM »

Okay, but I would not assume that all or even most fans pre-order upcoming releases.  For many fans, like me, who only buy stuff digitally now, there is no need to pre-order it.  Heck, even back when I was still buying physical copies of new CD's, I rarely pre-ordered them.

What I am pre-ordering isn't the music itself. It's the Artwork and packaging that go along with it. It's why I pre-ordered The Astonishing Box Set, and realize it was a daunting task to undertake with the 3-D printed NOMAC which is really detailed and nice by the way.

If the artist isn't offering an interesting boxset like that. I'll just pre-order the album.

In these times of Streaming. As I said in an earlier post, there is no excuse not to release the music on a streaming platform.

Which is why, until it does get released, it has to do with the name. Maybe not here, but in other parts of the world.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD