Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 443010 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Haken v. Vector (Oct. 26)
« Reply #3220 on: November 01, 2018, 07:15:29 AM »
I am surprised at how short that set list is (barely breaks 70 minutes, and the times I have seen co-headliners, they both seem to get close to 90 minutes), but it is hard to argue with the selection of older songs.  Good to see they left A Cell Divides off, although I am sure that will get played once they do a headlining on their own with a full length set.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3221 on: November 01, 2018, 07:22:13 AM »
Same set, I wonder if there will be any rotation at all.  I feel like that would be nice for the fans since they aren't playing a whole lot of songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3222 on: November 01, 2018, 07:25:37 AM »
Given the limited number of songs, I'd be surprised if anything gets rotated.  I can't imagine rehearsing a song as long as Crystallized and rotating it.  And it's cool that Falling Back to Earth is getting played since that was not played on the US tour last year where they hit a bunch of new cities they had not played before (like mine!).  It does look weird to see them doing a set with neither The Endless Knot nor Cockroach King, two songs I thought would be live mainstays.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3223 on: November 01, 2018, 07:31:27 AM »
Sometimes you give the big song a break for a leg of a tour.  Perfect timing with the shorter set.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3224 on: November 01, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
Yea, but I'd hope for Haken they wouldn't develop a setlist mainstay.  I'm really happy to see them drop those two songs.  1985 is probably my favorite Haken song so if that's the mainstay, I'm OK but even then, I'd be cool if that wasn't the case.  As it stands now, I've seen Haken twice and the only songs I haven't seen live from this set are the new ones.  Definitely wish they played one or two more songs to include maybe something not played much like Lapse or something short from Visions.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3225 on: November 01, 2018, 08:36:59 AM »
Yeah, I was expecting to see a setlist closer to 90 minutes, so this is a little bit disappointing given that I'm traveling to see multiple dates. Still though, love every song on the list and I FINALLY get to see Crystallised live  :metal
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3226 on: November 01, 2018, 03:28:51 PM »
Yeah, I was expecting to see a setlist closer to 90 minutes, so this is a little bit disappointing given that I'm traveling to see multiple dates. Still though, love every song on the list and I FINALLY get to see Crystallised live  :metal

I mean, unless they happen to swap it out for something.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3227 on: November 01, 2018, 03:40:19 PM »
Oh snap!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #3228 on: November 01, 2018, 03:58:23 PM »

I mean, unless they happen to swap it out for something.

I will end you if that happens.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3229 on: November 01, 2018, 04:23:30 PM »
WWE IN BOSTON!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3230 on: November 01, 2018, 05:18:11 PM »
WWE IN BOSTON!!!

Haken is gonna cover Neal Morse's World Without End??

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3231 on: November 01, 2018, 05:19:24 PM »
 :lol

I still feel like I should type WWF.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3232 on: November 01, 2018, 06:36:26 PM »
:lol

I still feel like I should type WWF.

:sadpanda: :sadpanda: :sadpanda:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3233 on: November 01, 2018, 07:01:01 PM »
No, wrestling.   Not the song! :lol

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #3234 on: November 01, 2018, 07:05:23 PM »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Rattlehead

« Reply #3235 on: November 01, 2018, 07:28:32 PM »
I finally got around to listening to the album today and Veil is the one track that really stands out to me. It feels a bit bloated, but it's definitely my favorite so far. I'm super excited to have new Haken to listen to, it's the most excited I've been for a new album since SW's To The Bone.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3236 on: November 01, 2018, 07:40:00 PM »
I did not know! :lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3237 on: November 02, 2018, 11:26:57 AM »
Vector keeps getting better just like I knew it would.  These guys are in a fuckin' zone.  :hat
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3238 on: November 02, 2018, 11:32:27 AM »
I've listened to Vector a couple of times, and I have to say that I've been kinda disappointed. It's not bad, but I feel that it runs together a little too much. There are some standout tracks, like "Clear"/"The Good Doctor", "Veil" and "Host", but I find the album to more one-dimensional than previous Haken albums and that's kind of a shame. I'll give it some more listens, undoubtedly, but the fact that I can't even, off the top of my head remember what the other three songs sound like is not a good sign.  :-\
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #3239 on: November 02, 2018, 11:40:56 AM »
2 spins isn't enough to recall everything.  I'm probably at 5 spins now and it's still not enough.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #3240 on: November 02, 2018, 11:43:58 AM »
Eh, there were plenty of memorable moments that stuck with me from the first listen on on both The Mountain and Affinity. But, like I said, I'm not writing the album off. It's just not hit me as immediately as other Haken albums have and as I had hoped it would.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #3241 on: November 02, 2018, 12:02:14 PM »
Even though the album is very short, it's their hardest to digest. With Affinity, for example, the songs I loved on my first listen are still my favorites now (1985, The Endless Knot, Lapse, The Architect), and the ones I didn't like with my first few spins are still the ones I dislike to this day (Earthrise specially). One or two got better with each listen, like Red Giant, which I really like now, but for the most part, my opinion for the songs hasn't changed much through the years.

Vector feels completely different. After my first 2-3 listens, I still felt like the songs blurred with each other, and it just felt like a single heavy/riffy song all the way through. It's gotten better with more listens, but I still don't know how to rank it against the other albums. Definitely doesn't top The Mountain or Visions, though.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline romdrums

« Reply #3242 on: November 02, 2018, 12:30:25 PM »
After listening to the album a few times, my primary hot take is that Host and A Cell Divides are better Leprous songs than anything on Malina, that's for sure.

Beyond that, Ray Hearne is the star of the show for me on this record.  I thought Diego was the star of Affinity in terms of both playing and the soundscapes and textures he created.  This time around, it seems like he primarily confined himself to doubling the guitar lines and then coming up with the bleeps and bloops.  Kinda disappointed there.  But, Ray's drumming is pretty much God tier on Vector.  That, and Nolly's mix is pretty solid as well. 
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline krands85

« Reply #3243 on: November 02, 2018, 12:39:08 PM »
After about 5 listens, I'm enjoying it, some nice new ideas/styles. I'm constantly getting several parts stuck in my head, which I always find is a good sign. The length is definitely disappointing though, it's a huge difference to what they've done before - over 15 minutes shorter than their next shortest. What makes things doubly frustrating is that Veil takes up more than a quarter of the run time and it's the song I'm struggling to get in to the most. Their longer songs are usually among my favourites, so I'm really hoping it grows on me a lot more.

The other thing I'm finding is that I don't feel like there's any 'god-tier' tracks here. All their other releases have at least 1 song which I rank among my absolute favourites. Hopefully that will come in time, but I'm not sure at the moment.

Don't want to sound too harsh though, because I do really like it and I still feel like they are yet to release any duds which is very impressive after 5 albums and an EP!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #3244 on: November 02, 2018, 12:41:02 PM »
Show last night in Montreal was phenomenal. Bent Knee was REALLY good, I only knew a couple of their older songs and they played all new ones, but I still enjoyed myself. Leprous, who I have been getting into over the last couple months, was also amazing! They played 2 or 3 songs I didn't recognize, and they also had a cellist with them that opened before Bonneville with a solo. (Anyone know who he is? Is he a new permanent member that I didn't know about?) The highlight of their set I think was probably The Valley, The Price, and Slave, the latter two of which were part of the encore.

But Haken was just next level. Ross was SO on point, it mad me very happy to see how he's improved live over the years. Everyone else performed amazingly as well, no surprise. Hen did fuck up the beginning of the tapping part of Falling Back to Earth a wee bit but it was more funny than anything. Highlight for me was probably Veil and Crystallized, but that's pushing it because the whole show was a highlight pretty much.

Interesting side note, Leprous changed their setlist but Haken did not.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #3245 on: November 02, 2018, 01:25:51 PM »
The more I listen, the more Nil By Mouth sounds like Metallica - Orion. I'm enjoying it a lot though. I bet it kicks ass live.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #3246 on: November 02, 2018, 01:42:56 PM »
The cellist touring with Leprous is most likely Raphael Weinroth-Browne. He played cello on the Leprous albums Coal and Malina.

Offline TheLordOfTheStrings

• I make music. I also do other stuff sometimes.
  • EB
« Reply #3247 on: November 02, 2018, 04:51:44 PM »
Interestingly, I enjoyed Vector on its first spin more than I enjoyed Affinity on its first spin.
Check out the latest concept album “III: The Sparrow & The Architect”, released under my project The Circle of Wonders:

https://linktr.ee/STARCOMMANDStudios

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3248 on: November 02, 2018, 05:05:59 PM »
They announced the NYC show tomorrow is a sell out  :metal

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #3249 on: November 02, 2018, 06:31:50 PM »
They announced the NYC show tomorrow is a sell out  :metal

As is Boston.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3250 on: November 02, 2018, 06:34:02 PM »
WOOOOTTTT!!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3251 on: November 02, 2018, 06:36:00 PM »
What does the place hold? 150?? ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3252 on: November 02, 2018, 06:39:35 PM »
What does the place hold? 150?? ;D

We don't allow your type here.  Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3253 on: November 02, 2018, 06:50:05 PM »
Aren't there people like having dinner while the concert is going on? :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3254 on: November 02, 2018, 06:56:28 PM »
Aren't there people like having dinner while the concert is going on? :lol

You're in bed by then.