Author Topic: Haken v. new single Nightingale (April 26)  (Read 442960 times)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Haken v. Affinity, like Baconinity
« Reply #805 on: April 02, 2016, 03:37:57 PM »
He just looks so relaxed with that hair style. I like it.

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #806 on: April 03, 2016, 12:07:06 PM »
And my hair idol.

Well, I can say it's mine too because we have so similar hairstyle :zydar:

That beard instead is gorgeous! I would need like 50 years to grow that!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #807 on: April 03, 2016, 12:53:28 PM »
26 days left :metal
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline wizard of Thought

« Reply #808 on: April 08, 2016, 10:34:45 AM »
Haken just announced that on monday The Endless Knot will be released as the second single!  :eek

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #809 on: April 08, 2016, 10:41:43 AM »
 :metal
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #810 on: April 08, 2016, 10:54:19 AM »
Kind of like the 'Pareidolia' choice for a single from The Mountain. According to reviews, it's the last intense proggy song before the mellow ending. Weird choice.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #811 on: April 08, 2016, 11:34:27 AM »
Looking forward to it!

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #812 on: April 08, 2016, 11:44:43 AM »
So the teaser for "A never ending Entanglement" turned out to be "The endless Knot". Who would have thought :omg:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #813 on: April 08, 2016, 01:02:11 PM »
Kind of like the 'Pareidolia' choice for a single from The Mountain. According to reviews, it's the last intense proggy song before the mellow ending. Weird choice.
I would say it's a great choice. It's proggy, particularly rhythmically, but it's energetic, has a great chorus and works well as a standalone song. As I think I said in my review, it's a little reminiscent of In Memoriam, but with added dubstep.

EDIT: Also, I don't think was their original thought for the second single (I was expecting something else), but it's a terrific choice.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #814 on: April 08, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »
I would say it's a great choice. It's proggy, particularly rhythmically, but it's energetic, has a great chorus and works well as a standalone song. As I think I said in my review, it's a little reminiscent of In Memoriam, but with added dubstep.

EDIT: Also, I don't think was their original thought for the second single (I was expecting something else), but it's a terrific choice.

In Memorian with added dubstep? You make that sound really up my alley. This hyped wait is killing me!
But yeah, from the reviews I expected the next single to be 1985 for some reason.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #815 on: April 08, 2016, 01:18:26 PM »

Yeah, but as the last song of its kind of the album it feels like a kind of spoiler. I know that seems weird to say, but I don't see many bands picking closing tracks as singles and that may be why.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #816 on: April 08, 2016, 01:49:24 PM »
Nah Bound By Gravity is very much the closer. This album is structured unusually for a prog album, doesn't end with a big epic in the usual sense, but trust me it works really well.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #817 on: April 08, 2016, 02:22:57 PM »
Nah Bound By Gravity is very much the closer. This album is structured unusually for a prog album, doesn't end with a big epic in the usual sense, but trust me it works really well.

Ok then, I'll take your word for it.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #818 on: April 08, 2016, 03:57:58 PM »
Would you say its structure is similar to The Mountain's?

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #819 on: April 08, 2016, 08:17:09 PM »

As I said in my review, it's my favorite short song on Affinity, so I'm happy that The Endless Knot got the nod for a second single. That said I'm also surprised. Earthrise was the obvious choice if they wanted something radio friendly, and if they went all out I thought they might go with 1985. Excited to see the video on Monday. Initiate's video wasn't horrible, and as far as music video's go, that's pretty high in my book.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #820 on: April 09, 2016, 12:52:37 AM »
Yeah it's been a while since I saw a really good music video. Initiate was fine I suppose, but really good music videos seem to be hard to make.

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #821 on: April 09, 2016, 04:29:19 AM »
Yeah it's been a while since I saw a really good music video. Initiate was fine I suppose, but really good music videos seem to be hard to make.

What are some really good music videos?

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #822 on: April 09, 2016, 05:20:54 AM »
I don't even know. I'm sure there are some but I'm too lazy to look for them, be it in my memories or on the internet.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #823 on: April 09, 2016, 05:26:26 AM »
Bowie's Lazarus and Blackstar are amazing music vids imo.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #824 on: April 09, 2016, 06:18:51 AM »
One recent one in my mind would be Lucky Animals from Devin Townsend.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #825 on: April 09, 2016, 07:14:47 AM »
One recent one in my mind would be Lucky Animals from Devin Townsend.

The one with only Devin dancing is comedy gold.

Anyway I always liked Periphery's Icarus Lives and Scarlet videos and Rammstein videos never disappoint.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #826 on: April 09, 2016, 07:25:17 AM »
Probably a topic for another thread, but what purpose do music videos serve in this modern age? It's not the 80s anymore. MTV is dead.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #827 on: April 09, 2016, 07:27:29 AM »
Anyway I always liked Periphery's Icarus Lives and Scarlet videos and Rammstein videos never disappoint.

Scarlet is funny, but it's not a good video. Icarus Lives is pretty cool though. The through-the-glass-and-water thing is a pretty good idea.

Offline ElliottTamer

« Reply #828 on: April 09, 2016, 09:07:53 AM »
Probably a topic for another thread, but what purpose do music videos serve in this modern age? It's not the 80s anymore. MTV is dead.
True, but YouTube isn't, and having your singles up there helps immensely with getting new people to see what you're doing. I mean, you don't really need a full-on video, it could just be a lyrics video. But still, I cannot count the number of people I introduced to Haken through that Cockroach King video (which I'd say is a good example of a good video: it's quirky, fun and unpretentious).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #829 on: April 09, 2016, 09:37:21 AM »

Good promotion. Considering how big YT is now, a video can do more than just the song played over a blank screen.

Offline home

• Sound is the factor which holds it together
« Reply #830 on: April 09, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »

Sometimes music video's can really add to the mood of the song. In case of The Raven that refused to sing by Steven Wilson for example, the video really enhances the music/lyrics.
Break the mold, let's shake the ground, wreak havoc!

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #831 on: April 09, 2016, 01:34:07 PM »
Check Intronaut's Fast Worms video. Nothing short of brilliant.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline LordCost

« Reply #832 on: April 09, 2016, 01:43:25 PM »

Sometimes music video's can really add to the mood of the song. In case of The Raven that refused to sing by Steven Wilson for example, the video really enhances the music/lyrics.
Yes, that video is fantastic!

Offline Enigmachine

« Reply #833 on: April 09, 2016, 02:17:59 PM »

The video for 'Routine' even moreso IMO.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #834 on: April 09, 2016, 02:57:10 PM »

Keyword there is "sometimes". I would argue that most music videos still don't really add to the songs, like the Haken videos.  Steven Wilson's videos being an exception.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline volwrath

« Reply #835 on: April 10, 2016, 11:20:46 AM »
Anathema's dreaming light is a phenomenal video that tugs at the heart strings: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mk0OF9DdVhw

Also that zeroG music video I saw was pretty cool, but dont remember the song or band :)

On another note, Im a bit sad that all of the preorder stuff is sold out in the US.  I take it CMdistro is the best way to support the band?

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #836 on: April 10, 2016, 11:21:51 AM »

Good promotion. Considering how big YT is now, a video can do more than just the song played over a blank screen.
Yeah, and some people (mainly the mainstream) are still very video-driven. They like watching stuff while listening to music.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #837 on: April 10, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »

Yeah, and some people (mainly the mainstream) are still very video-driven. They like watching stuff while listening to music.

True, and for some of those artists, mainstream or not, music videos can be used as an outlet for artistic expression in ways that music alone cannot produce. One of my favorite music videos of recent years has to be Justin Timberlake's video for his 8-minute song "Mirrors", and while the song itself is pretty amazing already, the video just adds so much to the piece, fleshing out the song's lyrics with on-screen characters, as well as a trippy dance in a house of mirrors in the second half of the video/song.

For many rock musicians and bands, where the focus is more on the instrumentation and instrumentalists themselves, music videos are more about capturing their performance, but for others, especially mainstream artists, it's a chance to express their non-musical ideas in a way that breathes life into their music.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • sloth.jpg

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #839 on: April 11, 2016, 07:14:03 AM »
Holy crap that was insanely good. I'm loving the djenty and electronic influences in this song. This is shaping up to be my favourite release of 2016 so far!