Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321502 times)

Offline kartmaze2

• DTF Cybernetician
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1050 on: May 06, 2011, 01:36:38 PM »
Symphony X tweet an hour ago:

SYMPHONY X - Dehumanized (ICONOCLAST) https://fb.me/10wkjk88a

I'm almost halfway, and it's pretty :metal

EDIT: OMG, that verse kicks some serious metal balls!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 01:45:35 PM by kartmaze2 »

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1051 on: May 12, 2011, 09:09:53 PM »
So tomorrow morning my friend and I begin our 8-hour drive to Dallas to see SX. Can't wait!  :metal

Last time I saw them it was Gigantour '05, so I'm really excited to see a fuller set, hopefully with the Odyssey.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1052 on: May 15, 2011, 08:25:02 PM »
What a phenomenal show. Russ doesn't miss a single note.

I also recorded some videos on my phone; they turned out pretty good. Here's the ending of The Odyssey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74bivWnXUM

Set was something like:

Oculus Ex Inferni
Of Sins and Shadows
Domination
End of Innocence
Serpents Kiss
Paradise Lost
Smoke and Mirrors
Eve of Seduction
Dehumanize
Set the World on Fire
_

The Odyssey

Edit: and I just realized it is the same set Dark Master posted.  :P

Yep.

If you 'excuse yourself to the bathroom' for all of Blackguard's set you won't regret it
wat. Blackguard are awesome. Seen em' twice and they slayed both shows.

It sounds like generic screaming metal. There was nothing about it that was good

I have to disagree. Screaming, sure. But harmonies, keys, etc. I wouldn't consider them 'generic'. I enjoyed their show a lot. If anything it reminded me a lot of Bodom.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1053 on: May 15, 2011, 09:34:57 PM »
5 days until I see them :D

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1054 on: May 17, 2011, 12:12:48 PM »
I saw them 6 days ago in Tempe AZ.  What a great show.  I was surprised there wasn't a capacity crowd, but that made it better for the rest of us.  I finally got to see The Odyssey live. :metal  Can't wait for the new album.  Rock n Roll.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1055 on: May 18, 2011, 12:26:42 AM »
I saw them 6 days ago in Tempe AZ.  What a great show.  I was surprised there wasn't a capacity crowd, but that made it better for the rest of us.  I finally got to see The Odyssey live. :metal  Can't wait for the new album.  Rock n Roll.

I felt bad for Symphony X for such a small crowd, but the show was awesome. I got to meet Mike Lepond and a couple guys from the opening bands. Blackguard was pretty shit and I couldn't help but laugh at the synchronized hair swirling. So lame. But I got to shout to Russell Allen from a distance and he shouted back, so I'm happy for that. Oh, and The Odyssey :metal

Offline krands85

« Reply #1056 on: May 18, 2011, 09:04:35 AM »
Can't wait for Iconoclast :D Loving The End of Innoncence atm and Dehumanized is pretty cool too (took a few listens to grow on me though)

What a phenomenal show. Russ doesn't miss a single note.

I also recorded some videos on my phone; they turned out pretty good. Here's the ending of The Odyssey: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q74bivWnXUM
Nice, what phone do you have? It deals with the audio very well for a phone  :tup
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1057 on: May 18, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
Pretty excited for this release!

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1058 on: May 18, 2011, 11:19:58 AM »
Wtf? It's not like I said anything offensive, I can't believe this happened again. I posted something here last night and it got deleted.
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1059 on: May 18, 2011, 11:25:09 AM »
Wtf? It's not like I said anything offensive, I can't believe this happened again. I posted something here last night and it got deleted.

No idea what you are talking about, but you are mistaken.  There are no posts of yours in the "trash," so nothing of yours got deleted.  You either posted whatever you are thinking of in another thread or just didn't post it at all.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1060 on: May 18, 2011, 11:33:10 AM »
Quote from: bösk1 link=topic=271.msg888798#msg888798 date=13057th39509

No idea what you are talking about, but you are mistaken.  There are no posts of yours in the "trash," so nothing of yours got deleted.  You either posted whatever you are thinking of in another thread or just didn't post it at all.

Maybe the entire Internet is conspiring against me then? Because for probably the third time in the last week or so, I've definitely posted something, looked at the post in the thread afterwards, and then come back the next day to see that it's gone. I was responding to Zook's comments about the headbanging in Blackguard.
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1061 on: May 18, 2011, 11:34:46 AM »
I can't speak for the Internet (and if I could, what would it want me to say?), but I can tell you that no post was deleted from this forum.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: May 18, 2011, 11:36:01 AM »
I can't speak for the Internet (and if I could, what would it want me to say?), but I can tell you that no post was deleted from this forum.

Alright, well I appreciate you looking into it. :-\

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1063 on: May 18, 2011, 01:03:56 PM »

Maybe the entire Internet is conspiring against me then? Because for probably the third time in the last week or so, I've definitely posted something, looked at the post in the thread afterwards, and then come back the next day to see that it's gone. I was responding to Zook's comments about the headbanging in Blackguard.

Well if you were defending them, I can understand your post not showing up as it's just too much fail, even for DTF. :P

Enjoy some great quality videos from the show I went to. The guy filming was about 8 feet away from me. I was dead center almost, where Russell was usually standing.

Of Sins and Shadows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv2dwaK-Awc

Domination:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhq0Mk1-18

The End Of Innocence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGeaQUlXuqQ

Serpent's Kiss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33fkk2onwjA

Eve Of Seduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnOk2GFOg4

Dehumanized:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQKqV5Tr5k

The Odyssey (Full Song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J26jHVI_oos

Oh, and Symphony X's tour manager is an asshole. That is all.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: May 18, 2011, 02:25:48 PM »

Well if you were defending them, I can understand your post not showing up as it's just too much fail, even for DTF. :P

Haha nah, I just thought their synchronized headbanging was pretty cool.

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1065 on: May 18, 2011, 03:47:41 PM »
What's that, Global? It looks like you made a post but I don't see any text.
Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1066 on: May 18, 2011, 04:57:18 PM »
 :censored

Offline Volk9

• DTF's Representative of the Negro Community
  • Pokeballs got nothin' on this
« Reply #1067 on: May 18, 2011, 04:58:23 PM »
Saw them last night; twas amazing :metal

Eyes of God: I didnt like the vocals at first, but eventually he warmed up and got better. I actually really liked them a lot, and the singer was a really cool guy.

Blackguard: They had a lot of energy and stuff, but they didnt click with me at all. Everything just sounded the same with them and I honestly got bored around their 3rd song.

Powerglove: Absolutely awesome. Funny, entertaining, and still rockin'. I loved how they had brought out balloon swords, beach balls, and candy for the audience :metal

Symphony X: Perfect. Band was spot on. Russell is one of the coolest, funniest, and heartfelt frontmen ever.
DOWNLOAD MY FREE NEW ALBUM!

(For fans of breakbeat, trip hop, acid jazz, etc)

https://abstractinthesky.com/

<br />Yeah, once you graduate high school, you need to listen to Death Metal like an adult.<br />

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1069 on: May 18, 2011, 05:32:54 PM »
Eyes of God

Pyramid Theorem was the first band at the Montreal show and they were phenomenal. Seriously some of the best prog I've ever heard. I bought their demo EP online today (they're a new band) and it was fantastic, although the newer stuff they played live (to be released on their first full-length album later this year) was even better. I'll be playing one of their songs in a guest block on WPaPU sometime in the near future.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1070 on: May 19, 2011, 08:59:44 AM »

I felt bad for Symphony X for such a small crowd, but the show was awesome. I got to meet Mike Lepond and a couple guys from the opening bands. Blackguard was pretty shit and I couldn't help but laugh at the synchronized hair swirling. So lame. But I got to shout to Russell Allen from a distance and he shouted back, so I'm happy for that. Oh, and The Odyssey :metal

We didn't get there until the Powerglove set, so we must have just missed Blackguard.  I kinda felt bad for SX too but they still rocked like it was an arena.  Also, thanks for posting those videos.  Way cool.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #1071 on: May 19, 2011, 08:29:47 PM »

Enjoy some great quality videos from the show I went to. The guy filming was about 8 feet away from me. I was dead center almost, where Russell was usually standing.

Of Sins and Shadows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zv2dwaK-Awc

Domination:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVhq0Mk1-18

The End Of Innocence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGeaQUlXuqQ

Serpent's Kiss:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33fkk2onwjA

Eve Of Seduction:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPnOk2GFOg4

Dehumanized:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuQKqV5Tr5k

The Odyssey (Full Song):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J26jHVI_oos

Oh, and Symphony X's tour manager is an asshole. That is all.

These videos were awesome.

5:32 of dehumanized: Love how Russell was like HE IS DUHUMANIZEDDDD :rollin

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #1072 on: May 19, 2011, 09:28:26 PM »
Just preordered the 2 CD edition :metal :metal :metal

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1073 on: May 21, 2011, 02:31:10 PM »
Just preordered the 2 CD edition :metal :metal :metal

this  :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Bombardana

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1074 on: May 21, 2011, 05:17:00 PM »
I'm annoyed by SX's choice of only throwing out the simple catchy songs live at the moment. I thought they'd have more respect for their prog fanbase, I'm not interested in hearing their newest prog-power metal single. I want to hear the longer compositions that have earned them their reputation, I want to see them incorporate ALL their musicians in the way we became accustomed to with TDWOT through to TO, not just riff-based songs. I miss the neoclassicality of their music. I need to hear this album and be proven wrong, I don't want to accept that this great band has lost it's edge.

/scepticism

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1075 on: May 21, 2011, 05:29:56 PM »
I'm annoyed by SX's choice of only throwing out the simple catchy songs live at the moment. I thought they'd have more respect for their prog fanbase, I'm not interested in hearing their newest prog-power metal single. I want to hear the longer compositions that have earned them their reputation, I want to see them incorporate ALL their musicians in the way we became accustomed to with TDWOT through to TO, not just riff-based songs. I miss the neoclassicality of their music. I need to hear this album and be proven wrong, I don't want to accept that this great band has lost it's edge.

/scepticism

But they don't consider themselves prog.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1076 on: May 22, 2011, 01:45:45 AM »

/scepticism

But they don't consider themselves prog.

Seriously?

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1077 on: May 22, 2011, 01:54:47 AM »
Honestly, I couldn't give two fucks what they consider themselves. I remember reading somewhere that Dave Murray doesn't consider Iron Maiden to be a "heavy metal" band. WTF? It seems like artists never agree with what genre their fans classify them as. So it's like whatever. Who cares what they say. They're prog metal, plain and simple.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1078 on: May 22, 2011, 01:12:17 PM »
So last night's show in Charlotte was the craziest show I've ever been to. I saw Michael LePond on the way in and completely froze. First, there were two opening acts who were decent then Blackguard, the music sucks but they're a really good live band. Powerglove was okay, pretty funny for the most part. The whole time through all of the sets, a radio station was somehow being played through the speakers and they couldn't fix it somehow. All of the bands made light of it though. Then came Symphony X, they killed.

Right after Set The World On Fire, an elderly woman passed out and they brought an ambulance and delayed the encore. Apparently, it was because of the heat, but I think Russell stared her down. She should probably be more careful about looking into his eyes. Only 200 people showed up :( but it made for a better concert experience fan-wise (no mosh pits!). All in all, I got to wave to LePond, shake Russell's hand, and get a picture and chat with Jason. Pinella and Romeo escaped to the buses pretty quickly.

Also found out they're taking the Summer off, touring Europe again in September-October, then back to the states in either November, December, or January.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1079 on: May 22, 2011, 02:25:36 PM »
Only 200 people showed up :( but it made for a better concert experience fan-wise (no mosh pits!).

Oh come on, mosh pits are fun. If I don't feel like moshing, I just push through so I can get way closer to the front. It's a fantastic method to use at general admission concerts.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1080 on: May 22, 2011, 02:44:44 PM »
There were circle pits for the opening acts though.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1081 on: May 22, 2011, 02:45:16 PM »
Only 200 people showed up :( but it made for a better concert experience fan-wise (no mosh pits!).

Oh come on, mosh pits are fun. If I don't feel like moshing, I just push through so I can get way closer to the front. It's a fantastic method to use at general admission concerts.

Mosh pits suck. I go to concerts to enjoy the show, not get slammed into from behind. The girl next to me who was shorter than me got hit pretty bad a couple times. Wasn't cool.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1082 on: May 22, 2011, 02:47:02 PM »

Mosh pits suck. I go to concerts to enjoy the show, not get slammed into from behind. The girl next to me who was shorter than me got hit pretty bad a couple times. Wasn't cool.

Exactly. I think they're fun sometimes, but when it's just a bunch of douchebags, you just plow your way to the front where you can ignore them.

Offline OsMosis2259

« Reply #1083 on: May 22, 2011, 03:45:15 PM »

/scepticism

The encore is THE ODYSSEY so I think they care for their prog fans...

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1084 on: May 22, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
^Agreed. The reason Symphony X is releasing the less-proggy songs first is the same reason DT released A Rite of Passage first instead of The Count of Tuscany.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH