Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321503 times)

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #665 on: November 30, 2010, 06:04:28 PM »
Sorry for the additional bump.  But we finally have the first glimpse of video from the Odyssey Project which I participated in earlier this month.  Here's our performance of "Fallen/Transcendence."  Me on the keys...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6h14QHgROg
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #666 on: November 30, 2010, 08:36:21 PM »
Damn that guy has a good voice.

Offline Vahvahenki

• I now pronounce you husband and five... eight
« Reply #667 on: December 01, 2010, 04:07:20 AM »
Even though it's a preview, it sounds great. I'm looking forward to the final edit.

Offline NecessaryPain

« Reply #668 on: December 01, 2010, 07:15:23 AM »
Cool vid.  :tup

But damn, I was hoping for a SX new album update.

Jesus christ these guys have a serious lack of contact with their fans. How long have they been in the studio for now? Must be pushing a year.
Pain is temporary. Pride is forever.

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #669 on: December 01, 2010, 07:20:07 AM »
Cool vid.  :tup

But damn, I was hoping for a SX new album update.

Jesus christ these guys have a serious lack of contact with their fans. How long have they been in the studio for now? Must be pushing a year.

Yeah it's been close to a year now...

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #670 on: December 01, 2010, 08:05:27 AM »
Sorry for the additional bump.  But we finally have the first glimpse of video from the Odyssey Project which I participated in earlier this month.  Here's our performance of "Fallen/Transcendence."  Me on the keys...

Bravo, that's seriously awesome. Good voice too.  :tup

Offline sirbradford117

• DTF Resident Beatlemaniac
  • All you need is love.
« Reply #671 on: December 01, 2010, 08:33:56 AM »
Hopefully the guys who filmed it up will upload clips from the Odyssey itself soon.

Sometime by the end of May 2011 the entire show will be produced in DVD-quality and hopefully put onto YouTube.  Updates for you all as I get them.
VOTE IN THE BEATLES SURVIVOR!!!!!

Listen to sirbradford in all things Beatles :P

This is evil, but I went with bradford

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #672 on: December 01, 2010, 08:44:50 AM »
These guys are incredible, I have seen them many times.. Romeo is a legend.

Id like them to break from their formula and do some different style already tho, that neo classic style is getting a bit dated, but I guess thats what they do, and what their fans sorta demand
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #673 on: December 01, 2010, 08:46:55 AM »

Bravo, that's seriously awesome. Good voice too.  :tup

Kudos to you.. very nice
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #674 on: December 01, 2010, 10:16:12 AM »

Id like them to break from their formula and do some different style already tho, that neo classic style is getting a bit dated, but I guess thats what they do, and what their fans sorta demand

This seems to be a problem inherent to neo-classical metal.  Let's hope Symphony X don't end up painting themselves into a corner the way Yngwie did. 
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #675 on: December 01, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
Let's hope Symphony X don't end up painting themselves into a corner the way Yngwie did. 

This is the second time I've heard that this week. What exactly do you mean by it?
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #676 on: December 01, 2010, 11:45:05 AM »
They could choose to stay relevant, by keeping their music beautiful. I think most SX albums are beautiful, except for Paradise Lost. That's not beautiful, that's just bloated and too much of EVERYTHING.

I'd say, let RA do his thing (not 'harsh' all the time), let the fusion influences return in a cool way, and apply heavy riffs where needed. Make different rythm guitar sounds, not just that cold midi-ish Line6 sounds. Hell, MJR, get a tube amplifier instead of those ugly digital POD sounds. Get some of that MOJO goin' on. The band rules, lay off with the digitalism. Let the band shine.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #677 on: December 01, 2010, 11:48:22 AM »
Just let Twilight and V have sex and record the baby.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #678 on: December 01, 2010, 11:51:41 AM »
Just let Twilight and V have sex and record the baby.

Bettered my 'idea' in one sentence. Excellent.

If the next record is as brickwalled as PL, I'm afraid I won't even come around to listen to it. I'm just done with it, dynamics are one of the most important factors in music, even in heavy metal.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #679 on: December 01, 2010, 11:52:10 AM »

This seems to be a problem inherent to neo-classical metal.  Let's hope Symphony X don't end up painting themselves into a corner the way Yngwie did. 

agreed... well said Ludwig

Offline Ħ

« Reply #680 on: December 01, 2010, 01:47:34 PM »
I personally hope the new album is along the lines of PL.  I know I'm crazy but PL is one of my top 5 albums of all time.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #681 on: December 01, 2010, 01:53:09 PM »
Yeha, I really enjoyed PL too, I'd be fine with the new record continuing in that direction. 
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #682 on: December 01, 2010, 02:53:43 PM »
Let's hope Symphony X don't end up painting themselves into a corner the way Yngwie did. 

This is the second time I've heard that this week. What exactly do you mean by it?

I don't mean to bash either the "neo-classical" genre or Yngwie, but if you take a hard look at YJM's musical career, it was defined by an initial HUGE splash and sensation (deservedly so) created by the mastery and genius of those first few albums with Sotto and JLT on vocals.  Quickly after that, however, it seems that his musical scope narrowed and his popularity waned, while he was increasingly viewed as a one-trick-pony who churned out repetitive albums of shredfest after shredfest.  It all comes across as rather one-dimensional and AC/DC-ish.  Not saying that the quality of Yngwie's more recent albums are poor, as there're tons of folks who greatly enjoy them, but they're just not relevant anymore. 

I like what Symphony X has done by building on what Yngwie started and expanding on the sub-genre.  Adding more of a keyboard element, using epic themes based on Milton and ancient mythologies/religions etc, exploring other classical composers besides Bach and Mozart (e.g. Holst), adding some proggy compositional elements and delving into longer song forms like The Odyssey.  That said, with their talent and technique, I think S-X could still do a whole lot more within the neo-classical sub-genre, pushing the envelope and maybe even stepping outside of the whole neo-classical thing.   
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #683 on: December 01, 2010, 03:06:07 PM »
I kind of think that's what Paradise Lost is. It's not focused on neo-classical elements at all. It's focused more on bone-crushing heaviness (Not a bad thing at all) than anything.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #684 on: December 01, 2010, 03:44:06 PM »
Yeha, I really enjoyed PL too, I'd be fine with the new record continuing in that direction. 

LOVED PL.  :metal

Offline oh8wrx

• The Sassy Lass from Sassafrass
  • I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #685 on: December 01, 2010, 04:39:46 PM »
Absolutely LOVE Symphony X! Got meet-and-greet tickets (and concert tickets) for May at the Wiltern Theater in LA! I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child.  I can only imagine the scream that child will bear when it is first brought into this world.

Can't wait for the new album, should be out in a few weeks, eeeek!

Have to say, one of my favorite songs is from PL, "The Sacrifice" or "Domination"
Beer: the cause of AND solution to all of life's problems.

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #686 on: December 01, 2010, 04:42:28 PM »
Absolutely LOVE Symphony X! Got meet-and-greet tickets (and concert tickets) for May at the Wiltern Theater in LA! I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child.  I can only imagine the scream that child will bear when it is first brought into this world.

Have to say, one of my favorite songs is from PL, "The Sacrifice" or "Domination"
I'm not quite sure about it being out in a couple weeks. I remember MJR mentioning in an update that it should be out around christmas, but I havent heard anything really official lately...

Offline Rina

• DTF.org Member
  • ~
« Reply #687 on: December 01, 2010, 04:44:05 PM »

Sacrifice is my favorite, LOVE that song. :tup

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #688 on: December 01, 2010, 04:49:39 PM »

I'm not quite sure about it being out in a couple weeks. I remember MJR mentioning in an update that it should be out around christmas, but I havent heard anything really official lately...

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.  Just excited about the new album and can't wait to see how his voice has developed.  If you listen to the first album til now, you can hear the transition.  He's a god.

I liked his stuff with Jorn Lande was good, same with the solo album but something about the way he carries his voice with SX...

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #689 on: December 01, 2010, 04:56:56 PM »

Maybe it's just wishful thinking.  Just excited about the new album and can't wait to see how his voice has developed.  If you listen to the first album til now, you can hear the transition.  He's a god.

I liked his stuff with Jorn Lande was good, same with the solo album but something about the way he carries his voice with SX...

I absolutely love his work with Ayreon and Arjen Lucassen(sp?) He has such a powerful voice it's so awesome

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #690 on: December 01, 2010, 05:15:20 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-91MFzaolWc

Watch how Russell Allen just dominates.  Puts them to shame.

Offline Global Laziness

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: December 01, 2010, 11:23:46 PM »

I don't mean to bash either the "neo-classical" genre or Yngwie, but if you take a hard look at YJM's musical career, it was defined by an initial HUGE splash and sensation (deservedly so) created by the mastery and genius of those first few albums with Sotto and JLT on vocals.  Quickly after that, however, it seems that his musical scope narrowed and his popularity waned, while he was increasingly viewed as a one-trick-pony who churned out repetitive albums of shredfest after shredfest.  It all comes across as rather one-dimensional and AC/DC-ish.  Not saying that the quality of Yngwie's more recent albums are poor, as there're tons of folks who greatly enjoy them, but they're just not relevant anymore. 

I like what Symphony X has done by building on what Yngwie started and expanding on the sub-genre.  Adding more of a keyboard element, using epic themes based on Milton and ancient mythologies/religions etc, exploring other classical composers besides Bach and Mozart (e.g. Holst), adding some proggy compositional elements and delving into longer song forms like The Odyssey.  That said, with their talent and technique, I think S-X could still do a whole lot more within the neo-classical sub-genre, pushing the envelope and maybe even stepping outside of the whole neo-classical thing.   

Wow, great explanation, thanks!
Quote from: Jamesman42
Global Laziness: Speaks for Canada
Quote from: black_floyd
I walked down a spiral staircase in 19/16 in honor of Tom Sawyer and now I'm in crutches.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #692 on: December 02, 2010, 07:18:18 AM »
I kind of think that's what Paradise Lost is. It's not focused on neo-classical elements at all. It's focused more on bone-crushing heaviness (Not a bad thing at all) than anything.

I agree that Paradise Lost is bone-crushing heavy... more brutal and harsh, which does step outside of what the band had been doing.  But I also think the album is a lot less imaginative than Twilight or V. 

PL has definitely split their fans into those that either loved it or hated it.  It'll be interesting to see which direction the new album takes. 
--Camille Saint-Saëns

--Frank Zappa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #693 on: December 02, 2010, 02:17:48 PM »
I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child. 

I'm just curious.  How exactly does one prepare for that?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Elsydeon

« Reply #694 on: December 02, 2010, 02:31:21 PM »
I hear ones diet must consist completely of beer, steak, bacon and beer. 

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #695 on: December 02, 2010, 03:27:13 PM »

Listening to Symphony X while drinking a bottle of Jack Daniels...straight.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #696 on: December 02, 2010, 04:03:19 PM »

:omg:  Then that means I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child too!  HALP!  :dangerwillrobinson: 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline oh8wrx

• I'm a hoot & a half.
« Reply #697 on: December 02, 2010, 04:23:10 PM »

:omg:  Then that means I'm fully prepared to be impregnated with Russell Allen's child too!  HALP!  :dangerwillrobinson: 

If you have a working uterus and tits then I'd say you were.   

Offline PlaysLikeMyung

• Myung Protege Wannabe
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Maurice Moss: Cooler than you
« Reply #698 on: December 02, 2010, 04:46:44 PM »
Bosk1 is carrying Russell Allen's child. Pass it on

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #699 on: December 02, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »

If you have a working uterus and tits then I'd say you were.   

Well, yes, but they're in the other room fixing dinner.