Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321500 times)

Offline gzarruk

Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #2765 on: May 31, 2022, 09:46:38 AM »
Is Russell spewing antivaxx stuff? (god, I hope not...)

Of course, if he did we wouldn't have a problem with that because we respect all points of view, right?

[I am triple vaxxed by the way, but totally understand if one is resistant to take the vaccine]

You beat me to it! It shouldn't be a problem, should it?
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2766 on: May 31, 2022, 10:40:53 AM »
Not all points of view and beliefs deserve respect. Unless you're being sarcastic, then carry on.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2767 on: May 31, 2022, 11:05:03 AM »
Not all points of view and beliefs deserve respect.

Be careful there...As this line of thinking is how many world conflicts have occurred.

Even if he was, I wouldn't have cared. It's no different than the other musicians saying to get vaccinated. No musician is going to dictate or convince me to change how I decide to live my life. That would be me idolizing a human and being like those people that dress up and copy their idols.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2768 on: May 31, 2022, 11:22:23 AM »

Be careful there...As this line of thinking is how many world conflicts have occurred.

Even if he was, I wouldn't have cared. It's no different than the other musicians saying to get vaccinated. No musician is going to dictate or convince me to change how I decide to live my life. That would be me idolizing a human and being like those people that dress up and copy their idols.

That's because humans are crazy. If you believed lizard people ran the government, I'm not going to respect that one bit. Most People deserve respect in some form, beliefs do not. Saying, "well, that's your opinion and I respect it, but I disagree." Why should I respect someone's batshit crazy beliefs? So yeah, respect the person, not the belief. Although, I've lost so much respect for Jon Schaffer as a person. It's one thing to have crazy views, it's another to act on them. I'm pretty sure Russell Allen isn't looney tunes though.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #2769 on: May 31, 2022, 11:51:29 AM »

That's because humans are crazy. If you believed lizard people ran the government, I'm not going to respect that one bit. Most People deserve respect in some form, beliefs do not. Saying, "well, that's your opinion and I respect it, but I disagree." Why should I respect someone's batshit crazy beliefs? So yeah, respect the person, not the belief. Although, I've lost so much respect for Jon Schaffer as a person. It's one thing to have crazy views, it's another to act on them. I'm pretty sure Russell Allen isn't looney tunes though.

Freedom of speech, for the speech that I think earned that freedom

Dangerous territory indeed.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2770 on: May 31, 2022, 12:50:49 PM »

It wasn't blatant anti-covid stuff, but since he brought it up multiple times, you got the point of where he stood on the matter. 

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #2771 on: May 31, 2022, 12:58:22 PM »

I don't think it particularly violates his freedom of speech to say on a very small forum that you think a musician you like might be cuckoo for cocoa puffs and that you don't respect his beliefs one bit. If you tried to organize people to get his show cancelled based on dubious reasoning (like saying there's a direct link between his beliefs and the safety of the show, but we know musicians don't call the shots on that, so it would be dubious), sure, that's a free speech attack.

I'm against most forms/manifestations of cancel culture, but Zook should have the freedom to say (ha) what he means about this.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Art

« Reply #2772 on: May 31, 2022, 01:22:39 PM »

Of course, if he did we wouldn't have a problem with that because we respect all points of view, right?

[I am triple vaxxed by the way, but totally understand if one is resistant to take the vaccine]

You beat me to it! It shouldn't be a problem, should it?

I don't know here in the forum, but for me, personally, it totally would be a problem.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2773 on: May 31, 2022, 02:13:13 PM »

I don't think it particularly violates his freedom of speech to say on a very small forum that you think a musician you like might be cuckoo for cocoa puffs and that you don't respect his beliefs one bit. If you tried to organize people to get his show cancelled based on dubious reasoning (like saying there's a direct link between his beliefs and the safety of the show, but we know musicians don't call the shots on that, so it would be dubious), sure, that's a free speech attack.

I'm against most forms/manifestations of cancel culture, but Zook should have the freedom to say (ha) what he means about this.

Freedom of speech also protects my right to call someone out for viewpoints that are stupid.

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #2774 on: May 31, 2022, 06:02:24 PM »
…the fuck is going on in here, guys?

Russell is not anti-vax. Or if he is, he doesn’t preach about it.

The End.

This band is pretty cool by the way.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2775 on: June 01, 2022, 12:52:34 AM »
…the fuck is going on in here, guys?

Russell is not anti-vax. Or if he is, he doesn’t preach about it.

The End.

This band is pretty cool by the way.
Amen brother!!!   
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2776 on: June 01, 2022, 11:39:07 AM »
There is also a great interview with Russel on "Breaking Absolutes" podcast with Peter Orullien. It's seven hours long,  but it's one of the best interviews I've ever seen. Russ is such a great down to earth guy and has a lot of cool things to say. Btw just for the record, he is not antivax. I can't believe that even came up in this thread. Get over yourselves and go see Symphony X on this tour if you can, they are killing it live right now!   :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2777 on: June 01, 2022, 01:58:34 PM »
There is also a great interview with Russel on "Breaking Absolutes" podcast with Peter Orullien. It's seven hours long,  but it's one of the best interviews I've ever seen. Russ is such a great down to earth guy and has a lot of cool things to say. Btw just for the record, he is not antivax. I can't believe that even came up in this thread. Get over yourselves and go see Symphony X on this tour if you can, they are killing it live right now!   :metal

I already saw the tour and wouldn't of made a comment if he didn't talk about it so much.  I commented about this on the first show of the tour a few weeks ago.  I don't really care at this point, but if people want to talk about the singer's banter, there's no need to get over ourselves. 

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2778 on: June 01, 2022, 03:06:05 PM »
People with terrible views always interpret freedom of speech as freedom from criticism, but that's not how it works. People are free to not listen to you if you're an asshole.

Not speaking about Russell in particular here because I don't know exactly what he's saying.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2779 on: June 01, 2022, 03:11:39 PM »
People with terrible views always interpret freedom of speech as freedom from criticism, but that's not how it works. People are free to not listen to you if you're an asshole.

Not speaking about Russell in particular here because I don't know exactly what he's saying.

He's saying, "hit the switch, you son of a bitch!"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #2780 on: June 01, 2022, 03:14:34 PM »
People make fun of that line but I actually really like that song.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2781 on: June 01, 2022, 03:44:30 PM »
People make fun of that line but I actually really like that song.

I do too, but it's still a funny line.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2782 on: June 01, 2022, 06:33:19 PM »

He's saying, "hit the switch, you son of a bitch!"
    :rollin

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #2783 on: June 01, 2022, 08:17:30 PM »
LA show tonight! Have t seen these guys since Wacken 2016, been too long! Very excited for Haken too  :metal

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2784 on: June 02, 2022, 07:11:40 AM »

Who decides when the views are terrible?

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #2785 on: June 05, 2022, 07:04:12 PM »
Amazing show by Symphony X last night in Austin. It's just amazing how Allen commands the crowd and the band. Probably best front man in metal right now besides Bruce Dickinson.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #2786 on: June 06, 2022, 01:28:26 AM »
Amazing show by Symphony X last night in Austin. It's just amazing how Allen commands the crowd and the band. Probably best front man in metal right now besides Bruce Dickinson.
   :metal :metal :metal

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2787 on: June 06, 2022, 01:40:53 PM »
   :metal :metal :metal

My sons and I are still talking about this show. I dig Haken big time and they sounded great and it was a blast seeing them live again and watching my sons experience them live for the first time.

BUT....Symphony X stole the show. Allen was so engaging and charismatic AND sounded incredible!!!! I have been lamenting the fact that this was the first time I've ever seen them live. Wishing I'd known about them years ago to perhaps have snuck in another show or two, but I'll take it.

Funny story....after the concert my sons and I took the alleyway behind the venue to get to the parking lot where I'd parked and the back door to the venue was there. Russel, M. Romero and M. Lepond were all standing there just firing away on huge joints. Or at least one of them was and maybe the others were smoking cigs....  This was probably I'd say....10 minutes after the show had ended....anyway, as we walked by (within 10-15 ft) we just told them things like 'great show' and 'had a great time'....and Allen said to us "Thank you...really appreciate it....thanks for coming out"   Romeo and Lepold just nodded and smiled.... :lol

Very small exchange but it was cool....and man.....I haven't smoked weed in 14 years but walking through that 'atmosphere' really took me back  :lol  My boys are old enough to know what it is and have smelled that before so they knew what was going down as well....
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2788 on: June 06, 2022, 01:44:17 PM »
Nice, thanks for the advice... bring a J to the bus immediately after the show on Sunday  :lol

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2789 on: June 06, 2022, 01:55:07 PM »
Nice, thanks for the advice... bring a J to the bus immediately after the show on Sunday  :lol

I've been out of the game for a while now but I know enough to know that whatever the hell they were smoking might have knocked Snoop Dog unconscious  :lol    There was lightning in that cloud of smoke they were producing.....

Offline Bentower

« Reply #2790 on: June 07, 2022, 01:31:11 AM »
Oh crap. The band has cancelled their entire European summer tour for some reason. I was supposed to see them at a festival in a few weeks.  :sadpanda:
Human by Nature (prog-infused psychedelic metal): https://linktr.ee/hbnearth
Our debut album "Eläimys" is a trip I can whole-heartedly recommend to anyone into Pain of Salvation, Opeth, The Mars Volta, Magma etc.

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2791 on: June 07, 2022, 07:19:43 AM »
Oh crap. The band has cancelled their entire European summer tour for some reason. I was supposed to see them at a festival in a few weeks.  :sadpanda:

The band's statement said touring Europe was too difficult due to various covid restrictions/policies in place in each country.  The comments from European fans all said "what restrictions?  touring and festivals are happening in every country!"   :facepalm:

My guess is that being covid-vaccinated reduces any restrictions and some of the guys in the band aren't interested in doing that.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #2792 on: June 07, 2022, 07:42:34 AM »
My guess is that being covid-vaccinated reduces any restrictions and some of the guys in the band aren't interested in doing that.

I can say with a 99% degree of certainty that at least one individual in the band is not vaccinated.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2793 on: June 07, 2022, 07:45:34 AM »
I wonder what that looks like if, and this is mostly hypothetical, one band member refuses to get vaccinated and then the whole band has to drop the tour. It's not like they can just get a replacement for Russel.

I mean...I guess they can get that dude from Ayreon but .......actually, that would be cool.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #2794 on: June 07, 2022, 07:52:12 AM »
I am actually surprised that all of the bands and crews that are currently on the European tours are fully vaccinated. I'd be certain there would have to be some people that aren't. I would be a good call for bands to require vaccinations among the band and crew members if they want to tour during the pandemic, given that some countries still have restrictions.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2795 on: June 07, 2022, 08:06:37 AM »
I thought they would have had to be vaccinated to tour in Canada.  Maybe they were able to get an exception for that?

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #2796 on: June 07, 2022, 08:22:18 AM »
I thought they would have had to be vaccinated to tour in Canada.  Maybe they were able to get an exception for that?

I'm not up to speed on everything, but that's just crossing one single border.  If they are touring Europe, they have to enter a new country pretty much every day, as each country may have different requirements than another. 

Over the last 6-12 months, touring in the US seemed easier to navigate than Europe for that reason, though I'm not up to speed on whether that has changed at all.  The fact that plenty of other bands are able to do it and Symphony X isn't is rather telling though.  The fans lose out in that scenario. 

Online gmillerdrake

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2797 on: June 07, 2022, 08:35:45 AM »

Maybe they throw another US leg together then? Longer show? Different supporting acts....

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2798 on: June 07, 2022, 08:46:36 AM »

I'm not up to speed on everything, but that's just crossing one single border.  If they are touring Europe, they have to enter a new country pretty much every day, as each country may have different requirements than another. 

Over the last 6-12 months, touring in the US seemed easier to navigate than Europe for that reason, though I'm not up to speed on whether that has changed at all.  The fact that plenty of other bands are able to do it and Symphony X isn't is rather telling though.  The fans lose out in that scenario.

This was last summer so maybe things changed, but I know Unleash the Archers did a show in Europe, came back to Canada (where they are from) and then tried to enter the US and were denied even with negative tests and vaccinations.  I asked the guitarist after the NYC show if this was because of going country to country to country and he said yes and they were not aware of that being a rule.  Things likely have changed since then, but maybe you are on the right track that jumping country to country is more of an issue, especially if someone isn't vaccinated.  Funny how all that covid talk got kind of shutdown in this thread and here it comes to rear it's ugly head again. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #2799 on: June 07, 2022, 08:59:00 AM »
Yeah - I agree that country to country would be potentially more difficult, but a lot of US bands were able to do it recently.  It definitely seems like a weak excuse.

I was just questioning whether one of the band members could be non vaccinated after they toured Canada.  I'm sure it's possible; I just thought it was a requirement but maybe said band member was able to get a medical exception for Canada that they can't get for one or more European countries.