Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321515 times)

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1540 on: December 19, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
Hmm, I haven't done this in a long time...

1: V
2: The Odyssey
3: Divine Wings
4: Twilight
5: Damnation Game
6: Paradise Lost
7: Iconoclast
8: Symphony X

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1541 on: December 19, 2013, 06:38:16 PM »
1. The Odyssey
2. V: The New Mythology Suite
3. The Divine Wings of Tragedy
4. Paradise Lost
5. Twilight in Olympus
6. Iconoclast
7. The Damnation Game
8. Symphony X

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1542 on: December 19, 2013, 07:08:08 PM »
1: V
2: Odyssey
3: Paradise Lost
4: Twilight
5: Divine Wings
6: Damnation
7: Iconoclast
8: Symphony X
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline TheAtliator

• Sixdegrematichaos onachristmasmorning
« Reply #1543 on: December 19, 2013, 08:53:02 PM »
From hearing every song, but only really knowing half to most of them-

1- V:New Mythology and Odyssey
2- SX, Damnation Game, Twilight in Olympus, Divine Wings, Paradise Lost (These will probably spread out over time)

3-Iconoclast

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #1544 on: December 26, 2013, 06:43:44 AM »
I'm a big Symphony X fan -- they were one of the first bands I got into after I first started listening to DT (I was late in the game).

My biggest issues --

1) Russell Allen's voice -- I think he has a fantastic voice that can do so much, but it seems like he just focuses on the gravely-rock/metal sound.  I assume he is still capable of singing like some of the earlier Symphony X albums, but it does seem like they have gone away from some of that.

2) Likely related to # 1 -- it bothers me a little that it seems like the band is so set on being considered "Metal."  I'm not thinking every album should be like "The Odyssey" (I have not mellowed out in my "old" age), but I feel like they let that label drive how they write.  Maybe it's just what they prefer.

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1545 on: December 27, 2013, 04:51:30 PM »
I'm a big Symphony X fan -- they were one of the first bands I got into after I first started listening to DT (I was late in the game).

My biggest issues --

1) Russell Allen's voice -- I think he has a fantastic voice that can do so much, but it seems like he just focuses on the gravely-rock/metal sound.  I assume he is still capable of singing like some of the earlier Symphony X albums, but it does seem like they have gone away from some of that.

2) Likely related to # 1 -- it bothers me a little that it seems like the band is so set on being considered "Metal."  I'm not thinking every album should be like "The Odyssey" (I have not mellowed out in my "old" age), but I feel like they let that label drive how they write.  Maybe it's just what they prefer.

I agree completely with both of these. I feel like Symphony X could be a much, much better band than they are by easing up on their power metal side and emphasizing their awesome proggy side. I suppose then they'd be a different band, and this is the style they choose, but I always think to myself, "What are King of Terrors and Wicked doing on an album with Accolade II and The Odyssey?" And Allen has an incredible voice, as evidenced by the really nice operatic bits you hear in some songs, especially on Divine Wings, but it isn't used to its full potential.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1546 on: December 27, 2013, 05:05:43 PM »

My biggest issues --

+1
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #1547 on: December 27, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
I agree completely with both of these. I feel like Symphony X could be a much, much better band than they are by easing up on their power metal side and emphasizing their awesome proggy side. I suppose then they'd be a different band, and this is the style they choose, but I always think to myself, "What are King of Terrors and Wicked doing on an album with Accolade II and The Odyssey?" And Allen has an incredible voice, as evidenced by the really nice operatic bits you hear in some songs, especially on Divine Wings, but it isn't used to its full potential.

I remember when I first heard him and thought he was just an amazing singer.  I preferred his voice over say JLB (generally speaking...particularly JLB with DT...he just sounds different -- better? -- on his solo albums or as a guest).   Accolade II and The Odyssey, as well as something like the Paradise Lost song, he just sounds amazing.  He gives some glimpses in Iconoclast, but not showcasing what he can really do.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1548 on: December 27, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »

My biggest issues --

It's called variety. All those songs are awesome.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1549 on: December 27, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
I always thought Accolade 2 was a pretty bland song. Especially compared to the first. These days when I want to hear Allen sing in a more balanced manner I just put up Star One and enjoy the show.

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1550 on: December 27, 2013, 09:08:44 PM »
I am sooooooo with you on the original Accolade being better than the second one.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #1551 on: December 27, 2013, 09:20:44 PM »
I just wanted to note that I like the heavier stuff as well, just missed some of the other elements in recent releases. 

I like both Accolades...maybe need to listen to them back-to-back.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1552 on: December 27, 2013, 09:56:52 PM »
I think the second Accolade slays the first one. I wish they would've done at least one more album like The Odyssey.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline PROGdrummer

« Reply #1553 on: December 28, 2013, 12:01:49 AM »
My Ranking~~~

1. Paradise Lost
2. V
3. Iconoclast
4. The Odyssey
5. Divine Wings of Tragedy

I havent really bothered much with Twilight in Olympus, Damnation Game, or the debut. But I'll get around to finishing them eventually.

Before anyone hates on me ranking Odyssey and DWOT on the bottom slots, I really love those two albums, and frankly consider them to be Symphony X's "magnum opus" records. However, they do both suffer from having alot of filler on them that drags the albums down from being completely epic. Iconoclast, in my opinion, only has 1 pointless filler song. And its a bonus track on the deluxe edition.

Paradise Lost and V are fucking gems.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1554 on: December 28, 2013, 03:06:29 AM »
I think the second Accolade slays the first one. I wish they would've done at least one more album like The Odyssey.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1555 on: December 30, 2013, 12:57:00 PM »

My biggest issues --

It's called variety. All those songs are awesome.

I agree with Zook.  MonagFam makes a great point in general, and one that I agree with.  But my problem (and I get the sense this is true of a lot of SyX fans) with the last few albums isn't that SyX shouldn't be doing metal.  It's more the fact that the variety is missing on these two albums, and variety (as well as creativity in that variety) is one of the things I loved most and miss most about this band.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1556 on: December 30, 2013, 01:23:50 PM »
I agree with Zook.  MonagFam makes a great point in general, and one that I agree with.  But my problem (and I get the sense this is true of a lot of SyX fans) with the last few albums isn't that SyX shouldn't be doing metal.  It's more the fact that the variety is missing on these two albums, and variety (as well as creativity in that variety) is one of the things I loved most and miss most about this band.
Yep. If they would take the attitude of Paradise Lost and mix it with the prog and diversity found in something like Twilight in Olympus, I think you'd have a perfect album. Odyssey was close to this, but not quite.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #1557 on: December 30, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »
Yep. If they would take the attitude of Paradise Lost and mix it with the prog and diversity found in something like Twilight in Olympus, I think you'd have a perfect album. Odyssey was close to this, but not quite.

I agree.  I like their "metal" stuff a lot, just miss the diversity.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1558 on: December 30, 2013, 02:42:03 PM »
I was going to say diversity at first, but wasn't sure it was the right wording. Sometimes I'm foreign, you see.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1559 on: December 30, 2013, 07:37:42 PM »
Speaking of The Odyssey, this is a pretty cool cover by a group of high school students:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL0jgcx1zPQ

Not perfect, but I really admire their ability to arrange and play it in the first place, and some of the things they did with it are REALLY cool.  ...although the conductor wearing a Def Leppard shirt did seem a bit out of place.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lucidity

• Patron Saint of Time Signatures
« Reply #1560 on: December 30, 2013, 08:05:34 PM »
Speaking of The Odyssey, this is a pretty cool cover by a group of high school students:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL0jgcx1zPQ

Not perfect, but I really admire their ability to arrange and play it in the first place, and some of the things they did with it are REALLY cool.  ...although the conductor wearing a Def Leppard shirt did seem a bit out of place.  :lol

This is amazing!  :o

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1561 on: February 19, 2014, 10:04:07 AM »
Hey guys, if you're out there somewhere, we're gonna be needing a new album any freaking year now.   :lol

But yeah, seriously.  Anybody know what's going on in the new album dept?  I don't see any news whatsoever.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1562 on: February 19, 2014, 10:29:41 AM »
Nope. In true SX fashion the news is scarce and since Russell is stuck in the world of MoFo Psychosane Metal I don't know when we will expect something.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1563 on: February 19, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »
I think it was 5 years between Odyssey and PL, and then 4 more between PL and Iconoclast. Might be a while yet.

Plus, has Jason Rullo recovered yet? I can't remember hearing anything else about that.

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1564 on: February 19, 2014, 11:14:52 AM »
Their next album will be called Romeo's Democracy and it will consist entirely of Guns 'n Roses covers.

Does anyone know what's going on with Thomas Walling? His drumming on Twilight was one of the strong parts of the album for me.

Online jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1565 on: February 19, 2014, 12:18:24 PM »
You should never hold your breath for any SX updates, in any capacity.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1566 on: February 19, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
Well, here's how I see it.  If they keep putting out killer albums, I'll wait another year or two.  Just sayin' it's time to start thinking about the next release.  We want more metal !!! 

:2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1567 on: February 19, 2014, 01:00:30 PM »
If they keep putting out killer albums...

Well, yes, but the problem is, this thread is about Symphony X.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1568 on: February 19, 2014, 01:07:03 PM »

My biggest issues --

I'm all for variety, and would be fine with him taking that approach, even if it were as much as 50% of his vocals, but when it's all grunting all the time it gets monotonous pretty quickly.  That's why the last couple of albums haven't really done much for me.  It was the combination of neo-classical riffing and song structures blended with elements of prog and metal, with a splash of bombast and all kinds of cool orchestration.  All of that stuff made them stand out in a crowded genre.  Now they're just kind of blending in with the metal crowd.  That's not a bad thing in and of itself, per se, I certainly enjoys me some metul    But there are approximately 476 metric shit-tons of bands doing the "chugga-lugga" thing with some angry, harsh-voiced, angst-filled, tough guy front man.

What they did before made them active participants in the creation and development of an entire genre of music, and they had a fairly recognizable sound and style.  Now most of their stuff sounds like I accidentally pushed the "generic FM rock radio" button on my car stereo. 

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: February 19, 2014, 01:08:43 PM »

Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1570 on: February 19, 2014, 02:47:03 PM »

:neverusethis:

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1571 on: February 19, 2014, 04:12:00 PM »
That's why the last couple of albums haven't really done much for me.  It was the combination of neo-classical riffing and song structures blended with elements of prog and metal, with a splash of bombast and all kinds of cool orchestration.  All of that stuff made them stand out in a crowded genre.  Now they're just kind of blending in with the metal crowd.
I agree with this so much that it hurts.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1572 on: February 20, 2014, 01:44:21 PM »
Now most of their stuff sounds like I accidentally pushed the "generic FM rock radio" button on my car stereo.  [/font]

I'd like to have the music Symphony X is making now on my FM rock radio station, it's galaxies ahead of the Nickelback and Sevendust knock offs that make up modern rock.

Sometimes I wonder how much modern straight up rock and metal people here listen to. Trust me, SX doesn't sound a lick like it.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1573 on: February 21, 2014, 08:14:39 AM »
Nope. In true SX fashion the news is scarce and since Russell is stuck in the world of MoFo Psychosane Metal I don't know when we will expect something.  :-\

Russell Allen is also supposed to be doing a project with Joel Hoekstra, Tony Franklin, and Vinny Appice.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1574 on: February 28, 2014, 09:07:04 AM »
I suddenly feel the urge to ravage the Babylon Whore. 

"My dominatIOOOOOOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNNN!  Yeah-EEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"  :2metal:

Okay, sorry.  Carry on.