Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321945 times)

MirrorMask, MrBoom_shack-a-lack, abydos, Zantera and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Scrub206

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1365 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:47 AM »
That's ok, even if they did announce that they're working on a new album, it wouldn't be done for another 4 or 5 years.

:rollin

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1366 on: April 21, 2013, 10:20:35 PM »
Gave Iconoclast another listen. Bastards of the Machine really grew on me. Especially 3:21 is awesome.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1367 on: April 21, 2013, 10:30:40 PM »
Gave Iconoclast another listen. Bastards of the Machine really grew on me. Especially 3:21 is awesome.

you know, I mentioned in the "full length album" thread that my most recent listen of the entire album left me with a better appreciation of it.  For the longest time I was pretty meh about it, but it seems to be growing on me.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1368 on: May 20, 2013, 07:36:22 PM »
The Edge of Forever live from 2001:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW3OH7gZIZc

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1369 on: May 20, 2013, 07:47:10 PM »
Just saw that pop up on facebook. Cool clip, one of their best songs. Does anyone else thing the beginning kinda sounds like Accolade though?
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1370 on: May 20, 2013, 07:49:02 PM »
I heard the melody from later in the song, but there could have been a little Accolade teaser in there. I didn't hear it though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1371 on: May 20, 2013, 08:08:27 PM »
Haven't listened to these guys in a while.  I need to get back into their discography.  I wish Allen would stop wasting his time with AMob.  I wonder what Romeo is up to.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1372 on: May 20, 2013, 08:09:18 PM »
Probably eating.

There. I got it out of the way.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: May 20, 2013, 08:21:34 PM »
I could be wrong, but the pics from the last album and tour, it looked like he had slimmed down quite a bit compared to the old days.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1374 on: May 20, 2013, 09:59:21 PM »
I would really like to see another live release from them

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
« Reply #1375 on: May 20, 2013, 10:58:49 PM »
Considering it takes 5 years to get a studio album from them, 12 years probably isn't quite the end of the refractory period between live albums.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1376 on: May 21, 2013, 05:15:21 AM »
I wished they would tone down the metal element a bit and highlight the neo-classical elements a bit more like they used to.  :-\
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1377 on: May 21, 2013, 03:46:10 PM »
Me too.

Listened to V today after staying away from it for a couple months. Damn what a kickass album. My favorite from them, they really did everything right with that album. If only the production was up to par with the last three albums. The ending is so epic too, I love it.  :hefdaddy
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1378 on: May 22, 2013, 05:04:40 AM »
That´s still my fave as well. Wish they could back to that sound at least somewhat....and yeah, dvd would be nice this century somewhere.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1379 on: May 22, 2013, 06:26:08 AM »
Me too.

Listened to V today after staying away from it for a couple months. Damn what a kickass album. My favorite from them, they really did everything right with that album. If only the production was up to par with the last three albums. The ending is so epic too, I love it.  :hefdaddy

Agree!  Awesome album, musically, but the production is not so great, especially the guitar tone, which is horrible.    I also wish they'd revert to that style of music.  That's what I listen to them for.  There are plenty of other bands churning out the kind of stuff they did on Iconoclast.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1380 on: May 22, 2013, 06:39:07 AM »
I agree as well.  Actually, the last two albums have felt that way for me.  I enjoy them when I listen to them.  But I do not feel the desire to listen to them very often.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #1381 on: May 22, 2013, 07:11:16 AM »
Yes, the albums pre-PL all sound amateurish (not really the right word though) in a way. PL and Iconoclast both have that modern, super professional, super compressed mechanical sound.

I prefer the glossy, reverby productions with a bit of dynamic range. Hell, I really enjoy how Divine Wings and V sound. I can listen to those albums without my ears getting tired of a brickwalled master.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1382 on: May 22, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
I wished they would tone down the metal element a bit and highlight the neo-classical elements a bit more like they used to.  :-\

Being a newer fan of the band, I actually like the last couple of albums a bit more BECAUSE of the metal element. 
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1383 on: May 22, 2013, 03:26:01 PM »
I think Odyssey has the best balance as far as production goes.

Paradise Lost has some really good moments, if I want an assault of metal that's one of my go to albums. Iconoclast kinda feels like a step down from that.

Offline stereoxio

• Rainmaker/Kitten's hypnotist
  • Cada vez iré sintiendo menos y recordando más...
« Reply #1384 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:17 AM »
I love every SX album, but The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is definitely my fav of all   :tup
"My love, I do not love you for you or for me or for the two of us together, I do not love you because my blood tells me to love you, I love you because you are not mine, because you are from the other side, from there where you invite me to jump and I cannot make the jump"

Online MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1385 on: May 26, 2013, 03:04:36 AM »
I love every SX album, but The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is definitely my fav of all   :tup
You sir....are correct!
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1386 on: May 26, 2013, 05:06:14 AM »
You sir....are correct!

If by "The Divine Wings of Tragedy", you both mean "The Odyssey", the yes... you are both correct.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1387 on: May 26, 2013, 02:31:58 PM »
TDWoT's killer tracks are comfortably better than TO's. TDWoT's filler tracks slaughter TO's. There ain't much more to it than that.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1388 on: May 26, 2013, 02:46:27 PM »
TDWoT's killer tracks are comfortably better than TO's. TDWoT's filler tracks slaughter TO's. There ain't much more to it than that.
Absofuckinglutely sir.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1389 on: May 26, 2013, 03:29:43 PM »
What tracks on TdWoT would qualify as filler anyway? Maybe Pharaoh and Witching Hour, but even those are rather enjoyable.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1390 on: May 26, 2013, 04:03:48 PM »
The Witching Hour is beyond terrible. The Pharaoh is awesome, not sure how it's filler.

The Odyssey doesn't have any filler or bad songs at all.

The Odyssey wins.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1391 on: May 26, 2013, 04:39:16 PM »
I used "filler" in regard to how the DTF consensus views it, not me. I like every minute of the album except for the aladdincore breakdown in The Eyes of Medusa.

By DTF consensus, I'd tier the albums like this:

TDWoT:

Good:

Of Sins and Shadows
Sea of Lies
Accolade
TDWoT
Candlelight Fantasia

So so:

Out of the Ashes
Pharaoh
The Eyes of Medusa

Bad:

The Witching Hour

The Odyssey:

Good:

Inferno (Unleash the Fire)
Accolade II
Awakenings
The Odyssey

So so:

Wicked (easily cold be under "bad" though)
Incantations of the Apprentice

Bad:

King of Terrors
The Turning

Once again, my opinion is different from the above since it's just my best recollection of how the survivors/general DTF opinion have gone.

And Zook, Wicked is not only one of their worst songs ever, it also contains their worst riff ever. Bands like them, while obviously more physically talented than Pantera, etc., are absolutely abysmal at convincingly trying to emulate that style.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1392 on: May 26, 2013, 07:12:49 PM »
I disagree, bro. I love Wicked, and part of it is because the riff, but more specifically, the second part of the riff. Yeah, it's very clear Romeo loves Pantera, but in my opinion, he does it well.

Also, King of Terrors is awesome, as is The Turning. I can see why The Turning can end up on the filler list, but I think King of Terrors is a fan favorite. Maybe I'm wrong, but then, Symphony X is very divided amongst fans, and I usually hold the minority opinion.

I don't mind the Aladdincore bit, but I did make an edit of the song when I don't feel like listening to a section of a song that kills the momentum of the rest of the song.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1393 on: May 26, 2013, 09:39:38 PM »
I love pretty much every song on The Odyssey.  I bought Divine Wings, listened to it once, and shelved it.  I just listened to it again, and it's definitely a very good album, but I had heard a lot of the songs either on their official live album, or from bootlegs, and they sound better and more aggressive in a live setting.  Plus, I got that album fairly late in the game, and was kind of "over" Symphony X and never gave it a fair shake.  I'm not saying any of this to try to make a case as to which album is better.  They're both pretty good.  But I prefer the Odyssey by a fair margin myself and don't dislike a single song.  (like Zook, I love King of Terrors, The Turning, and Wicked)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Mosh

« Reply #1394 on: May 26, 2013, 10:00:00 PM »
My problem with DWOT is that I love the Of Sins and Shadows and the title song so much that I don't give the rest of the album enough attention. Honestly, I prefer several of the other albums by a long shot. Every song on Odyssey is at least good, I kinda agree about Wicked though, the riff is kinda lame. Other parts make up for it though. Everything else is great though. Apart from the obvious behemoth of a title track, I really like Accolade II and Awakenings.

King of Terrors and The Turning kinda get forgotten imo, but I thoroughly enjoy them whenever listening to the entire album.

• DT.net Member
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 10:22:06 PM by black_floyd »

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1396 on: May 27, 2013, 12:15:43 AM »
It's pretty much Symphony X's WDADU, though. A different singer from the rest of their work, one that doesn't fit their work, and really poor production values. There's good there, but you have to dig further. Frankly I like Romeo's solo album better than their debut. 
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1397 on: May 27, 2013, 01:11:16 AM »
Doesn't Romeo consider the debut nothing more than a demo?

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1398 on: May 27, 2013, 01:12:38 AM »
So if he considered it an opus, you'd like it?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1399 on: May 27, 2013, 01:16:57 AM »
No, I'd just disagree. It just happens to work in my favor.