Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321838 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1225 on: November 16, 2012, 03:22:14 AM »
*Gushing over Russell*
Cool story :3
The minute I see the verb "use" on DTF I go all :neverusethis:

That totally went over my head. Since I doubt you're referencing Used off The Perfect Element, I'll have to ask what you were alluding to.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1226 on: November 16, 2012, 01:53:58 PM »
That totally went over my head. Since I doubt you're referencing Used off The Perfect Element, I'll have to ask what you were alluding to.
Hint: :neverusethis:

Hint 2: Since I totally forgot that you weren't in my head while I was posting. I thought of writing "uuuuuuseeeee iiiiit" at first and then I thought "but that conflicts with " :neverusethis: " and then I went off thinking how abused that verb is here and only then I posted. Sorry for thinking I made sense :biggrin:
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:22:00 PM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1227 on: November 16, 2012, 02:33:41 PM »
There's a show I used to have a copy of that was really good when they opened for Queensryche at a club in Jersey in, I think, around 2003 or so.  The audio is spotty in the beginning, and the taper was there for Queensryche and didn't know SX's material, so some of the track breaks occur in odd points, but it's a good show if you can find it.  Sorry for the lack of specifics, but that's all I can remember.  Nick or someone else might be able to give you more details based on my description.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1228 on: November 16, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
Symphony X is one of the few bands I really wouldn't for a DVD from. I've seen them live, and have seen a bunch of youtubes and of course the gigantour DVD and.........well they're just super boring live. Russell is awesome, no question about that. Michael Romeo's only form of stage presence is sometimes smoking a cigarette on stage. Leapond's only thing is that he sometimes smiles at the audience. Pinella....forget about it, and Rullo just constantly looks like he's trying to hold in a huge fart.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1229 on: November 16, 2012, 02:55:26 PM »
and Rullo just constantly looks like he's trying to hold in a huge fart.
That is.......very true!  :lol
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: November 16, 2012, 03:18:18 PM »
Symphony X is one of the few bands I really wouldn't for a DVD from. I've seen them live, and have seen a bunch of youtubes and of course the gigantour DVD and.........well they're just super boring live. Russell is awesome, no question about that. Michael Romeo's only form of stage presence is sometimes smoking a cigarette on stage. Leapond's only thing is that he sometimes smiles at the audience. Pinella....forget about it, and Rullo just constantly looks like he's trying to hold in a huge fart.
I think you can have DVDs of relatively static bands which are visually satisfactory as well.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1231 on: November 16, 2012, 04:53:32 PM »
I can't see anything visually stimulating about the members of of symph x. lol
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: November 16, 2012, 05:25:39 PM »
I can't see anything visually stimulating about the members of of symph x. lol
In terms of whether you find watching amusing or not :lol if you need hot chicks to look at not to be bored by stuff, well. Your prob :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #1233 on: November 16, 2012, 05:32:26 PM »
Why such hostility?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1234 on: November 17, 2012, 06:09:47 AM »
Why such hostility?
Did I come off as hostile?

Ouch, sorry :hug:

Offline Adami

« Reply #1235 on: November 17, 2012, 11:12:29 AM »
A hug? Hell yea!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1236 on: November 17, 2012, 05:48:12 PM »
I really only bought the first album for collection purposes. It's pretty terrible. The re-recorded Masquerade is better in every conceivable way and is really the only song that isn't dangerously cheesy. Yep, I just referred to Symphony X as cheesy while in the past defending them til death that they aren't, but the first "album" (which is more of a demo and has been referred to as such by Michael Romero himself) and most of Damnation Game are pretty damn cheesy and unlistenable to me. So TDWoT is where I whip out the sword and shield to defend the band.

As for a live DVD, Russell brings the presence and entertainment on stage so as long as he's there to keep it fun, I'm all for a live DVD. Just as long as it's at least 2 hours and isn't mostly the new stuff. If they're going to release a live DVD, they must have a set list that represents their entire career so far like Iced Earth did with Alive In Athens.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1237 on: November 27, 2012, 10:27:16 PM »
The Divine Wings Of Tragedy is up next on te survivor! In fact, the first round is up! Go ahead and vote for this amazing album.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1238 on: December 12, 2012, 09:58:01 AM »
Cheesiness and brutality for the sake of brutality aside, Paradise Lost is still a stellar album. I can't find myself tolerating much else from Symphony X these days though. Not sure if I grew out of them, or just found bands that do what they do better (although I rarely find myself in the mood for anything power metal related these days anyway), but this has to be the first time I've listened to them all year.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1239 on: December 12, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
Cheesiness and brutality for the sake of brutality aside, Paradise Lost is still a stellar album. I can't find myself tolerating much else from Symphony X these days though. Not sure if I grew out of them, or just found bands that do what they do better (although I rarely find myself in the mood for anything power metal related these days anyway), but this has to be the first time I've listened to them all year.
I didn't like Iconoclast. I liked the titles track and When All Is Lost. Probably for the lack of keyboards.

Offline Ultimetalhead

• The Mighty Masturbator
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • .ay rof dab s'ti dna...
« Reply #1240 on: December 12, 2012, 10:16:25 AM »
Iconoclast was pretty awful. It had very little going for it, and the good things it had were immediately ruined by the fact that the album just drags like a motherfucker.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?
LOOK AT THIS AWESOME SHIT AHHHHHH

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #1241 on: December 12, 2012, 11:00:37 AM »

Pretty much the same for me, sadly. They're one of those bands that I really only liked when I got into them, but nowadays I barely ever listen to Symphony X unless one of the songs I put in my shuffle playlist comes up. I was hoping that Iconoclast would rekindle that fire, but nope. Album's too long and too same-y. It really does drag on like you said. I still think that Russell Allen's a great singer and that the two Accolade songs are fantastic, though.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline me7

• Disciple of the Cockroach
« Reply #1242 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:38 AM »
Iconoclast is a disappointment when judged as a "Symphony X album", but it is my favourite Thrash Metal album of 2011. I have to give credit when credit is due ;)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1243 on: December 12, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »
Iconoclast is a disappointment when judged as a "Symphony X album", but it is my favourite Thrash Metal album of 2011. I have to give credit when credit is due ;)
Wait....what?....oh your trolling? arrgghh i'm confused!  :justjen
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1244 on: December 12, 2012, 12:10:07 PM »
Wait....what?....oh your trolling? arrgghh i'm confused!  :justjen
He has to be trolling. And also,using the words "best" and "Iconoclast" in the same sentence has to be some sort of crime. Unless you're talking about the title track...

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1245 on: December 12, 2012, 12:21:00 PM »
I agree that biggest flaw with Iconoclast is its samey-ness - apart from a handful of outliers like When All Is Lost, all the songs are of a similar nature. Still, I find it is pretty consistent in its quality. I'd definitely rate my least favourite song from Iconoclast higher than my least favourites from DWOT, The Odyssey, and in fact possibly every Symphony X album (its about the same as V and PL in that respect if I include only tracks I consider full songs, but if I include V's interludes and PL's intro Iconoclast trumps them).

Also, it's roughly on a par with the best Symphony X albums - they all have different pros and cons but in terms of how highly I regard them there's not much between V, The Odyssey and Iconoclast (or even Paradise Lost).

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #1246 on: December 12, 2012, 12:50:55 PM »
I pretty much hated Iconoclast.  I would really prefer that the vocals not sound like someone gargling with a handful of thumbtacks

For the most part the album just sounds like one, big, long mediocre metal tune.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1247 on: December 12, 2012, 01:54:25 PM »
I cannot point to a single thing about Iconoclast that makes me think it is a bad album.  Unfortunately, the real issue is that I can point to very little that makes me want to listen to it much either.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1248 on: December 12, 2012, 01:58:10 PM »
I still haven't even listened to Iconoclast. The iRobot premise is just not interesting, at all.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1249 on: December 12, 2012, 01:58:19 PM »
I pretty much hated Iconoclast.  I would really prefer that the vocals not sound like someone gargling with a handful of thumbtacks

For the most part the album just sounds like one, big, long mediocre metal tune.
THIS

Offline Adami

« Reply #1250 on: December 12, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
Iconoclast is actually the only symph x album I don't have and have no desire to get.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1251 on: December 12, 2012, 03:04:41 PM »
I cannot point to a single thing about Iconoclast that makes me think it is a bad album.  Unfortunately, the real issue is that I can point to very little that makes me want to listen to it much either.

This.  I don't remember it to be awful, but other than a couple of tracks, I don't remember it to be all that memorable either.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1252 on: December 12, 2012, 03:06:27 PM »
Just listened to TDWOD and TiO, hadn't listened to SX in a long while. Man, those albums are so damn good. Where's the SX from TDWOD-V days? I sure do miss them.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1253 on: December 12, 2012, 03:09:39 PM »
Just listened to TDWOD and TiO, hadn't listened to SX in a long while. Man, those albums are so damn good. Where's the SX from TDWOD-V days? I sure do miss them.
Amen to that.

Wait, what is TDWOD? The Divine Wings Of Damnation?  :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2012, 03:16:27 PM by MrBoom_shack-a-lack »

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1254 on: December 12, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
I seriously don't get all the Iconoclast hate.  It's a great, straight foward metal album.  No more, no less.

It's not stellar but I don't think it's bad either.  I just like it.

I agree that biggest flaw with Iconoclast is its samey-ness - apart from a handful of outliers like When All Is Lost, all the songs are of a similar nature. Still, I find it is pretty consistent in its quality. I'd definitely rate my least favourite song from Iconoclast higher than my least favourites from DWOT, The Odyssey, and in fact possibly every Symphony X album (its about the same as V and PL in that respect if I include only tracks I consider full songs, but if I include V's interludes and PL's intro Iconoclast trumps them).

Also, it's roughly on a par with the best Symphony X albums - they all have different pros and cons but in terms of how highly I regard them there's not much between V, The Odyssey and Iconoclast (or even Paradise Lost).

Very well put.  I agree.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1255 on: December 12, 2012, 03:12:55 PM »

This.  I don't remember it to be awful, but other than a couple of tracks, I don't remember it to be all that memorable either.

yeah, I'm here as well.  Not terrible but nothing really invites me back for more.

I have a similar feeling about Paradise Lost, but the songs are stronger on PL.  I usually don't have the urge to listen to it, but when I do I think it is a pretty good album.  With Iconoclast it's more "eh, it's okay".
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #1256 on: December 12, 2012, 03:13:32 PM »
I just listened to the opening track. Russell's performance is terrific, as usual. But the music is terrifically boring, as usual.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1257 on: December 12, 2012, 03:35:04 PM »
I must join in and say that Iconoclast is absolutly stellar production wise, everybody on the album is doing an amazing job and it's sounds really really good but the songs and the album as a whole don't grab my attention like other albums do, even though i've spent alot of time listening to it. That's just how it is but it dosen't mean it's a bad album.

There are some songs worth mentioning:
Iconoclast
The End Of Innocence
Children Of A Faceless God
Reign In Madness

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #1258 on: December 12, 2012, 03:43:06 PM »
No When All Is Lost? That's easily the standout for me, along with Children of a Faceless God.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline Orthogonal

« Reply #1259 on: December 12, 2012, 04:09:26 PM »
When All is Lost is one of their best songs ever. The album as a whole feels kind of pedestrian compared to their prior catalog, but I still give it occasional spins.  Good but not great.