Author Topic: Symphony X thread!  (Read 321837 times)

Offline black_biff_stadler

• 6th place finalist at New Orleans Skullet Fest 2010
  • DT.net Member
  • blackwater_floyd, get it?
Re: Symphony X thread!
« Reply #1190 on: October 03, 2012, 09:45:41 PM »
so they opened their set at ProgPower USA XIII with.....

THE DIVINE WINGS OF TRAGEDY!!!111!

https://youtu.be/YOA9geqZ89I

ignore the kid orgasming in the beginning. i would definitely make the trip to see them if I knew they were playing this

Just wathed it. Thanks for posting :tup You're right about that kid being a tool but thank god the song and performance were so damn good that not even that blathering dingus could sully the excellence.

Also, I hope beyond hope that I can somehow find out for sure where and when they may be playing this in their setlist the next time I'm in a position to roadtrip to see 'em live. I did it on the Odyssey tour driving from New Orleans to Dallas and would do it again in a heartbeat to see Divine Wings live. It's been my undisputed favorite song and that ain't likely to change soon and if it does I'd be thrilled cuz I've been dying to feel this way about another song.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #1191 on: October 03, 2012, 09:53:49 PM »
You know what, I'm giving the kid a pass.  A real Sy X fan should get jacked up for a song they haven't played in a while that is unexpected.  It's not everyone's job to sit on their hands at a concert so someone can post a poor quality video they took on their phone.  They paid the price of admission, we didn't, he gets to be excited.  We just hear him because he was close to the cameraphone guy.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1192 on: October 03, 2012, 09:56:33 PM »
You know what, I'm giving the kid a pass.  A real Sy X fan should get jacked up for a song they haven't played in a while that is unexpected.  It's not everyone's job to sit on their hands at a concert so someone can post a poor quality video they took on their phone.  They paid the price of admission, we didn't, he gets to be excited.  We just hear him because he was close to the cameraphone guy.

yea i dont blame him, just didn't want people to think that happens the entire video

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1193 on: October 03, 2012, 11:29:02 PM »

ignore the kid orgasming in the beginning. i would definitely make the trip to see them if I knew they were playing this

:eek :metal

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1194 on: October 03, 2012, 11:34:58 PM »
Why did it take me so long to realize that the beginning of that song rips off Holst?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Mladen

« Reply #1195 on: October 04, 2012, 01:14:45 AM »
They should have just left the stage after this song, it would make a better show than the ones they've been putting out recently... Needless to say, it sounded fantastic, now that's my Symphony X.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1196 on: October 04, 2012, 01:52:26 AM »
I wanna see Absinthe and Rue, A Lesson Before Dying, or Raging Season played live even if it's just on youtube. I hate the way that many bands that didn't become viable touring draws until well into their careers seem to have that redheaded stepchild for a first album like DT with WDaDU, Opeth with Orchid, and SX with the s/t album.
Users who've sigged me (Join today!): LCArenas, Jakartabassplayer, LeeHarveyKennedy, Global Laziness, Portrucci, obscure, FlyingBIZKIT, alirocker08, senecadawg2, DebraKadabra, JayOctavarium, Cedar redaC, (almost) bout to crash, ? (the forum member, not the fucking punctuation mark), Zeltar, lonestar, ASacrificedSon

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1197 on: October 04, 2012, 06:07:44 AM »

Ahhh yes my sweet Baconribs! :metal :hefdaddy :metal
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1198 on: October 04, 2012, 09:21:14 AM »
Why did it take me so long to realize that the beginning of that song rips off Holst?

hmm, not sure.  I picked up on it first time I heard the song.  But I am a huge fan of The Planets, so that's not a surprise.

They also include "the bringer of war" in the lyrics.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1199 on: October 04, 2012, 10:54:09 AM »
I don't know if it's just me but I feel whenever I see them live or in a video, Pinnella's keys don't cut through particularly well in many parts.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1200 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:19 AM »
Welcome to "keyboards at metal concerts," 2012 edition.  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1201 on: October 04, 2012, 08:18:50 PM »
I don't know if it's just me but I feel whenever I see them live or in a video, Pinnella's keys don't cut through particularly well in many parts.

I got lucky enough to see them and got front row before they were even remotely close to what they are today (regarding their ability to draw ticket sales) so luckily I heard everything very clearly and got a pick from an annoyed MJR who was tired of me badgering him for one.

My issue is that, ever since V, Pinnella began using that ultra-nasal patch on seemingly all of his solos including when playing leads from earlier albums and, aside from it sounding like utter shit, it also makes all of the pre-V solos/leads sound an octave lower which really drains the intensity out of them. TDWoT has some of their finest moments keyboardwise but tragically they have far less punch with that patch being used live.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1202 on: October 04, 2012, 08:28:21 PM »

hmm, not sure.  I picked up on it first time I heard the song.  But I am a huge fan of The Planets, so that's not a surprise.

They also include "the bringer of war" in the lyrics.

I'm a big fan too, but for some reason, no clue why, it just didn't register.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline cyberdrummer

• Setlist Guru and DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1203 on: October 05, 2012, 07:30:38 AM »
So they opened with Divine Wings and ended with The Odyssey at this show? Please do this more often.

Offline r0ryb0ryalis

« Reply #1204 on: October 09, 2012, 02:32:58 PM »
Hahaha dammit guys, as if I wasn't mortified enough!

Of course I regret allowing myself to act like such a fool, but as someone who has held TDWoT as one of my all-time favorite songs for so many years, I honestly couldn't help it. I'm just glad I grabbed my camera in time. Once the curtain drew back and the Gregorian choir started, I was agape. It wasn't until my wife shouted "GET THE CAMERA" that I realized what needed to be done. As the song progressed from merely an intro to the actual song, I seriously could do nothing else but shout my excitement! Thank you, Dr. DTVT for defending me, though I think I agree with everyone else in saying I sounded like a "blathering dingus".

I know I sounded like a tool, and believe me, I am cringing MUCH more than you are, but I hope the video can slightly satisfy those who have yet to see the song (or any classic SX) performed live. Apologies, my fellow fans; I hope you too can witness such majesty someday. I wonder which bodily functions you might lose control of? Heh.
"Still the wind blows, calm and silent; carries news from a distant shore..."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1205 on: October 09, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
As someone above pointed out, it's a concert.  You're well within your rights to act like a blathering digus.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1206 on: October 09, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
I'd have been far worse than you were, dude. No worries, man, just glad you caught it for posterity.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1207 on: November 13, 2012, 01:49:45 PM »
I just started a survivor! Check it out!

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #1208 on: November 15, 2012, 10:30:15 AM »
Unfortunately don't like the first album enough to have listened to it enough to know the songs - will be voting in every one after that though.

Offline Beowulf

« Reply #1209 on: November 15, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
I'm a n00b when it comes to Symphony X, but I'm learning quick.  I am really getting into them, but I'm sure everyone shares the thought that they need a new live album.   Is there anything on Dime that is worth listening to, from the last few years?
You can lead a horticulture, but you can't make her think.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1210 on: November 15, 2012, 06:30:29 PM »
What's "Dime"?

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1211 on: November 15, 2012, 06:32:12 PM »
Dime a Dozen, aka a torrenting site.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1212 on: November 15, 2012, 06:53:08 PM »
it's strictly for live shows from bands that don't forbid sharing of their shows
Winger would be better!

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1213 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:28 PM »
Very true, but it IS still a torrenting site. ;)

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1214 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:42 PM »
that it is
Winger would be better!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: November 15, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
Just buy all of their cd's; they're an amazing band. You can ignore the first one.  But I would like to see them release a new live album, they are due for one!

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1216 on: November 15, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »
I know folks hate on Rod Tyler (somewhat rightfully so) but I still think completely overlooking the debut is a little bit of a mistake. At the very least, check out:

Absinthe in Rue-It's the album's "Swiss army knife" track. It's got heaviness, well-written structures, and a good mellow section.

Raging Season-The bonafide asskicker of the album. Kinda like how Of Sins and Shadows, In the Dragon's Den, Evolution, and Inferno were for theirs.

A Lesson Before Dying-Good Epic. I only liked it from the 6:45 point onward at first since it picks up way awesomely from there but, over time, the first half of the song has grown on me despite it sounding cliche and dated even by 1994 ballad standards.

If you like the three I mentioned, Masquerade would be a good choice for the next song to try from the debut.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1217 on: November 15, 2012, 09:27:20 PM »
Very true, but it IS still a torrenting site. ;)

You say it like it's a dirty word.  "Torrent" is just the technology of a file format.  It's the content and what is downloaded that matters (ie, legal vs illegal).  Dimeadozen.org is a repository of legal bootlegs - audio and video - of concerts.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1218 on: November 15, 2012, 09:35:31 PM »
Please don't get me wrong - by me saying Dime is a torrent site does not in any way mean that I believe that what they do isn't legal/is bad.  They unfortunately get lumped into my vernacular with illegal torrent sites, and I should've differentiatied with my first post in here.

Sorry for the derail, folks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #1219 on: November 16, 2012, 12:22:03 AM »
I agree they need a new live one, especially the long awaited 'dvd'... >:( That doesn't deminisch the last one though, it's outstandingly good.
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #1220 on: November 16, 2012, 01:22:03 AM »
If you like the three I mentioned, Masquerade would be a good choice for the next song to try from the debut.
And it's been re-recorded with Russ. Sounds amazing if you ask me.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1221 on: November 16, 2012, 01:31:02 AM »
Goddamnit! I can never give props to that song without someone suggesting the RA version as an alternative :lol

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1222 on: November 16, 2012, 02:07:21 AM »
Goddamnit! I can never give props to that song without someone suggesting the RA version as an alternative :lol
I cannot think of many things that wouldn't be improved with the addition of Russell Allen so maybe that's the reason. Even AMob sounded almost listenable at times :biggrin:

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1223 on: November 16, 2012, 02:40:10 AM »
Oh, I prefer Russ over Rod as well. I remember he was super cool on stage too since I drove 500 miles to see them open for Blind Guardian back in '02 and I was one of the few people wearing SX gear so I noticed him kinda grinning in a "well shit, at least someone represented for us" kinda way during the numerous times he looked in my direction while singing. I wonder if I'll ever cave in and use the pick I got from Romeo after bugging the living hell out of him for it.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: November 16, 2012, 03:17:55 AM »
Oh, I prefer Russ over Rod as well. I remember he was super cool on stage too since I drove 500 miles to see them open for Blind Guardian back in '02 and I was one of the few people wearing SX gear so I noticed him kinda grinning in a "well shit, at least someone represented for us" kinda way during the numerous times he looked in my direction while singing. I wonder if I'll ever cave in and use the pick I got from Romeo after bugging the living hell out of him for it.
Cool story :3
The minute I see the verb "use" on DTF I go all :neverusethis: