Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 110589 times)

geeeemo, gborland and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
Re: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2345 on: May 15, 2024, 09:51:49 AM »
Was the idea that the album wouldn't come out before the tour began really that shocking? I'm sure some people will always disagree with something, but it seemed somewhere been obvious and completely plausible.

Couldn't agree more, which is why I was so confused that people were pushing back on me so hard at the time.
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2346 on: May 15, 2024, 11:01:42 AM »
Was the idea that the album wouldn't come out before the tour began really that shocking? I'm sure some people will always disagree with something, but it seemed somewhere been obvious and completely plausible.
As I think I've already said, if they didn't intend to have the album out in time for the tour, why on earth wait until October to start the tour? It would make more sense for them to hit the European festival circuit this summer with a career retrospective to get things started and draw attention not only of the fans but also non-fans who happen to see them at those festivals.

Plus there are these specific MP quotes from that Rolling Stone interview that to me strongly imply the album will be done and out for the start of the tour:
How will you know when the album is done?
Petrucci: There are different factors. A lot of times we’ll base it on how long we want this record to be.
Portnoy: Even though we have a very loose schedule, and we have control over that, we do have a tour in October. So you look at that and backtrack: If we’re starting the tour on October 20th, we need to be in rehearsals by the last week of September, which means that the album needs to be mixed and mastered, and delivered by X date. We need to have it tracked before we can mix it, so that kind of dictates it. Luckily, we’re not at the mercy of a studio that’s kicking us out or of a label that’s pulling the plug on the project. But scheduling a tour is something you need to be conscious of.

Looking ahead to the tour. Are you ready?
Portnoy: We expect the first show to be an emotional experience – not only for the five of us but for everybody in the audience. I have a feeling there will be people coming in from all over the world to be present for the first show together. It’s scary because, under normal circumstances, it takes a bunch of shows to get your sea legs back. But in this case, we need to hit the ground running. That first show is going to be dissected with a magnifying glass in the age of YouTube. We can’t suck. The pressure’s on.

To me, those comments make it clear the album will be out by the start of the tour. If you want to interpret them otherwise, be my guest. Just also keep in mind that they started work on ADToE on January 3 and released the album on September 12, and started work on SFaM on February 8 and released it on October 26, so them starting to work on this new one on February 7, having it released by the end of September or beginning of October is very realistic and doable unless they do a triple album or something else equally over the top.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2347 on: May 15, 2024, 11:04:10 AM »
I think he's talking there in terms of delivering the album to the record company rather than into the grubby paws and lugholes of fans.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2348 on: May 15, 2024, 11:08:31 AM »
I think he's talking there in terms of delivering the album to the record company rather than into the grubby paws and lugholes of fans.

That's what the "delivered" means, but I'm with Scotty in thinking that the implication is that it needs to be delivered to the label by a certain date in order for it to be released before the tour.  Otherwise, that "X date" is basically the day before they get on the plane to Europe, which doesn't really seem to be what MP is driving at.

EDITED TO ADD: Even if it doesn't end up coming out before the tour starts, that doesn't necessarily mean they didn't intend for it to come out before the tour.  Things could have just end up taking longer than planned, missing the window for the release. 

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2349 on: May 15, 2024, 11:15:19 AM »

It was. And still is.

They know their fanbase really well and are full aware of the expectations since Portnoy's return. Exposing the 'iconic line-up' in late 2024, then teasing us with #16-stuff and not releasing an album before the tour is simply an act of cruelty and torture.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2350 on: May 15, 2024, 11:31:23 AM »
I agree completely. I'd be totally OK if the first tour was mainly focused on their career retrospective and only included one or two new songs if it meant the album coming out later (and being the best it can be)

I don't actually have a problem with this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2351 on: May 15, 2024, 11:32:28 AM »
It was. And still is.

They know their fanbase really well and are full aware of the expectations since Portnoy's return. Exposing the 'iconic line-up' in late 2024, then teasing us with #16-stuff and not releasing an album before the tour is simply an act of cruelty and torture.

Eh.

I mean, maybe it will, maybe it won't. Who knows? It's just an album. There's nothing torturous or cruel about any of this.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2352 on: May 15, 2024, 11:34:24 AM »
I'm with Scotty. The schedule seems pretty normal compared to previous releases and shouldn't be that far from them unless this is a massive, super long thing like TA (and I'm only talking about length, not the actual type of album). But to me it does seem like they're taking a while to finish recording.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2353 on: May 15, 2024, 11:46:34 AM »
Yup, count me as well on Scotty's side and more generally, I can't see any reason why MP should count back from the start of the tour if the album release before the tour wouldn't be an issue.
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2354 on: May 15, 2024, 12:16:34 PM »
I don't think those quotes have anything to do with when the album will be released, necessarily.  That may be their intention.  But the quotes only have to do with when they physically need to be done working on it, because following that point they will no longer be in album mode, they will be in tour mode and won't be able to do any further work on the album from that point.

They may intend for the album to come out before the tour start, but that isn't necessarily what was being described here.  That's all I'm saying.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2355 on: May 15, 2024, 12:21:32 PM »
I don't think those quotes have anything to do with when the album will be released, necessarily.  That may be their intention.  But the quotes only have to do with when they physically need to be done working on it, because following that point they will no longer be in album mode, they will be in tour mode and won't be able to do any further work on the album from that point.

They may intend for the album to come out before the tour start, but that isn't necessarily what was being described here.  That's all I'm saying.

As with most things (except X-Men: The Animated Series), Hef is correct.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2356 on: May 15, 2024, 12:21:47 PM »

Yeah, considering that's literally the definition of the term "delivered" in these contexts. I still don't know why people throw that quote around as evidence the album will be out.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Kram

« Reply #2357 on: May 15, 2024, 12:35:36 PM »

I'm with hef on this.  They (the band), must be done making the album by then.  I'm sure they'd like it released by the start of the tour, but if it's taking longer than they thought, or if it's unable to be released by then due to circumstances beyond their control, oh well.  That's probably why the band hasn't issued any sort of statement as to when the album will be released. Maybe they don't really know yet..

Offline Wim Kruithof

• Official Guardian of The Shattered Fortress
« Reply #2358 on: May 15, 2024, 12:46:56 PM »
Eh.

I mean, maybe it will, maybe it won't. Who knows? It's just an album. There's nothing torturous or cruel about any of this.

I can understand this point of view, from you being the Moderator of awesomeness... but from my perspective, it feels like my wife passes by sensually, slowly slumbers upstairs. But the moment I follow her heart-pumped into the bedroom, she's doing a Sleeping Beauty. And has been sleeping for months, actually since '21. Especially since she's been teasing me since last winter, with this iconic line-up.
Wim pointed out something I don't see mentioned very often...

« Reply #2359 on: May 15, 2024, 12:59:51 PM »
I can understand this point of view, from you being the Moderator of awesomeness... but from my perspective, it feels like my wife passes by sensually, slowly slumbers upstairs. But the moment I follow her heart-pumped into the bedroom, she's doing a Sleeping Beauty. And has been sleeping for months, actually since '21. Especially since she's been teasing me since last winter, with this iconic line-up.

Or it's like that time I went to Phish Mexico and met someone who said I could smoke some reefer in his room with him before then show (as any respectable jam band fan do) but then when I showed up there was cocaine, LSD, whippits, Alcohol, and prostitutes. Not exactly my idea of a good time before seeing the world's best jam band. I was just looking to get a little stoned!
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MirrorMask

« Reply #2360 on: May 15, 2024, 01:01:10 PM »

Oh damn now you convinced me and made me change my mind  :lol
I use my sig to pimp some bands from Italy! Check out Elvenking (Power / Folk metal), Folkstone (Rock / Medieval metal), Arcana Opera (Gothic/Noir/Heavy metal) and the beautiful voice of Elisa!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2361 on: May 15, 2024, 01:11:56 PM »
I just hope, and currently don't think it'll happen, that the band doesn't debut the new single live before the release.  I do quite enjoy when bands sometimes do this, but with MP back, I don't want my first taste of new music to be from a fan video.  If the album isn't out, I do expect the first single to be out by the tour for them to play it live and people know it.  I'm very iffy if the album will be out by then otherwise at this point.  It's possible, but every day that passes makes it less possible.

Offline Glasser

« Reply #2362 on: May 15, 2024, 01:17:06 PM »
I hope they just release the album, no singles or teasers.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2363 on: May 15, 2024, 01:20:56 PM »
There'll be a single (or song released). Probably two. Seems fairly standard, no?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

« Reply #2364 on: May 15, 2024, 01:26:24 PM »
Maybe they could do a secret midnight release/drop. Singles are obviously good for generating hype but nothing generates my hype like a big 'ol surprise album release
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2365 on: May 15, 2024, 01:39:49 PM »
There'll be a single (or song released). Probably two. Seems fairly standard, no?

Yeah, there's no way there won't be at least 2, likely 3, singles and teasers along the way. They'd be foolish not to, it's a proven failure in the metal world to not go through the promotion cycle.

« Reply #2366 on: May 15, 2024, 01:54:19 PM »
Yeah, there's no way there won't be at least 2, likely 3, singles and teasers along the way. They'd be foolish not to, it's a proven failure in the metal world to not go through the promotion cycle.

Maybe the single can be the 20 minute epic (if there is one). That'd be both following the proven formula, and doing something neat/surprising. Let's be real, even if they pick a 4-6 minute single, no radio stations are playing it. Might as well just give us the goods.

Plus, if the album is delayed until after the tour starts, there'd still be (at least) 20 minutes of new material assuming all we had at that point was the single(s)
Welcome to the Forums!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2367 on: May 15, 2024, 01:55:02 PM »
Maybe the single can be the 20 minute epic (if there is one).
No one thinks that's a good idea.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #2368 on: May 15, 2024, 02:01:38 PM »
They should take 2 or 3 minute snippets of the epic, take them out of context and release them as singles.  Maybe issue a 12" maxi-single with a dub version, or have someone like Pettibone or William Orbit do a remix.

;).

No.  Release the fucking album, I say.

« Reply #2369 on: May 15, 2024, 02:03:06 PM »
No one thinks that's a good idea.

Scared the epic is gonna be the only good song? ;) I have faith the entire album will be good, and we will enjoy it fully, regardless of whether we get 1 long single or a few shorter ones
Welcome to the Forums!

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2370 on: May 15, 2024, 02:06:49 PM »
Scared the epic is gonna be the only good song? ;)
I'm not scared of anything.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2371 on: May 15, 2024, 02:36:42 PM »
They should take 2 or 3 minute snippets of the epic, take them out of context and release them as singles.  Maybe issue a 12" maxi-single with a dub version, or have someone like Pettibone or William Orbit do a remix.

;).

No.  Release the fucking album, I say.
I wouldn't mind if they just take snippets of each song and do a "trailer" like they did for Distance over Time, but don't release any singles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpvwRFMjD0M
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #2372 on: May 15, 2024, 02:46:31 PM »
I like that idea too! But in today's world feels unrealistic. But in this genre, maybe the only band that "could" do it, in commercial terms, is probably DT.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2373 on: May 15, 2024, 07:01:53 PM »
I'm not scared of anything.

Good, check your DMs.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #2374 on: May 15, 2024, 07:02:12 PM »
I predicted a September release and I am sticking to it. Come at me.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2375 on: May 15, 2024, 11:14:30 PM »
I hope they just release the album, no singles or teasers.

With you on this.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Paddies

« Reply #2376 on: Today at 02:52:45 AM »
Normally mixing and mastering takes a long time as well. I think they might save time on these parts of the process now they have their own studio. I guess once everything is recorded it shouldn't take too long to finish. If there's already a theme or some lyrics for the album, artwork might also be in a preproduction phase already.

A September release seems plausible, for an album or a single. Because the 40th Anniversary Tour comes first there won't be enough room to celebrate the new album that much. They probably will do that during a second leg of touring more.

If there is a new single in time, which I think there will be, I'm definitely going to listen to it. Otherwise I'll be hearing this new song for the first time in a live setting. With Dream Theater's music that's not ideal for me.

Online gborland

« Reply #2377 on: Today at 03:24:58 AM »
I think the album will drop on Friday 18th October.
Graham Borland

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2378 on: Today at 05:05:14 AM »
Normally mixing and mastering takes a long time as well. I think they might save time on these parts of the process now they have their own studio. I guess once everything is recorded it shouldn't take too long to finish. If there's already a theme or some lyrics for the album, artwork might also be in a preproduction phase already.

A September release seems plausible, for an album or a single. Because the 40th Anniversary Tour comes first there won't be enough room to celebrate the new album that much. They probably will do that during a second leg of touring more.

If there is a new single in time, which I think there will be, I'm definitely going to listen to it. Otherwise I'll be hearing this new song for the first time in a live setting. With Dream Theater's music that's not ideal for me.
Usually, the mastering process is the one step as part of any album that takes the shortest amount of time. Recording and mixing usually take much longer.
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"