Author Topic: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread  (Read 190346 times)

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Official Distance Over Time discussion thread
« Reply #1435 on: March 16, 2019, 11:47:18 AM »
Back to the album.....I've been giving this 2-3 days in between listens since the first day it came out, to keep it fresh, though I should listen to it 2-3 times a day.  An incredibly enjoyable album.

As for my wife, using the old 'if this were vinyl' format, the version I made for her is:
Side One
Untethered Angel   
Paralyzed
Fall Into The Light
Barstool Warrior 

(after 6-8 seconds of inserted silence…)
Side Two
Room 137     
S2N      
Out Of Reach     
At Wit's End     

My version
Same order as the official release, but with ‘Viper King’ inserted before ‘Pale Blue Dot’.   With the title, at first I thought it was some sort of ‘Forsaken’ type theme.  :D  A fun song,  adds a bit of punch near the end, doesn’t ruin any ‘flow’ for me, and actually improves it IMHO.  And PBD just has to be the finale.

I did shorten the amount of silence for the AWE ‘Easter Egg’.  Other than that, and unlike all previous releases from SC onward, there are no songs removed.  A great album.  Other than ‘Barstool Warrior’ and ‘Out of Reach’ (tracks I enjoy but see them not being the best on stage), I wish they’d perform the rest on this tour.  That’s how good this album is to me.

I’d give eight songs a grade of at least an ‘A-‘, with the other two at a ‘B’ or better.  I hope within a year I’ll be able to note most of the subtle nuances throughout the albums as well.

Thank you, Dream Theater.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 01:15:40 PM by DragonAttack »
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Luis W

« Reply #1436 on: March 16, 2019, 12:29:23 PM »
First band's release I got into was Octavarium, alghout I've known the band since 2002. Thought the Self titled and specially The Astonishig were weak albums and kinda lost interest for DT. I'm really happy that D/T changed that, being their strongest release since 8V, when I heard Wit's End and Pale Blue Dot I knew this was an instant classic. The first 3 to 4 minutes of these two songs are so diverse and surprising, without that feeling they're chopping parts (like I feel it happens on Breaking All Illusions), it flows really well.

Probably the best sounding album of the Mangini Era but still far from gems like Scenes, 6doit and Octavarium. I think the vocals are somewhat strange, like they don't fit the particular sound they were aiming at with the other instruments. It's kinda pale and muddy. And finally the rythm session is really clear and audible without the need to mess with the equalizer even on low volumes. I loved Myung's tone in this one, so clear and heavy at the same time.

Besides the wierd vocal mix, overall James is killing in this album, I really think the more he stays into his mid tone range for an ocasional trip on higher notes the better, I'm not a fan of his timbre when doing high notes, his voice tends to get quite ducky. Mangini kills it, it shows how different his style is in the sense that he's trying to fill the drummer role and stick more with Myung on the rythm session, instead of the more front-man music-writer style of Portnoy. And those fills on Petrucci and Rudess solos are mindblowing!

As usual Petrucci shows some new solo tricks but nothing too unusual . I really liked how he seated in the back with the rythm guys on several parts just rolling those muffled riff notes, attaining a certain balance and making the album sound less guitar-orientend when it really isn't. Rudess shines on what I think is the most underrated of his extense abilities: background atmospheric tone. Wierd outwordly pads, fatty organ patches, beatiful piano themes setting the correct song mood for the strings.

Having no song I skip on every listen I dare to say it's the album I've enjoyed the most, and that's probably because it's a really mature-metal oriented piece with few ballads. Their top albums for me are the SFAM - 8V cycle, but every one of them there's songs I usually skip or only listen in the "whole album" listening experience. I liked ALL the songs, and even after the cringe-ballad supermarket JP fleshed out in The Astonishing, Out of Reach is quite refreshing and I enjoyed enough to play it on its own while shuffling songs on my car.

Only two strange things happened for me with this release. First one is that while I liked the 3 pre-released songs (specially Fall Into the Light), I wasn't particularly impressed with them, but as I heard with the entire album  I was like "AAAAH so that's what they were meant for" and I like them even more now.

Second think I find unfitting is that I'd give it a 10/10 1st/14 but it feels strange as no particular song stands out to me as their best song to date. Pale Blue Dot cracks the top 3 maybe. A 20 minute epic in the style of this album would propably be my #1 song. So I'd say the missing epic makes this album a 9,5 and maybe a top 3(or 4) album. It's good to be excited with this band again!

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1437 on: March 16, 2019, 06:11:40 PM »
There’s a new album?

How about that ....
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Mat Hausen

• Prog lover at 360°!
« Reply #1438 on: March 17, 2019, 06:58:52 AM »
There’s a new album?

How about that ....

LOL!  :biggrin:

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1439 on: March 18, 2019, 12:24:51 AM »
Interesting Spotify statistics as of this moment:

Number of plays:

UA - 2,240,235
Paralyzed - 1,443,138
FitL - 1,887,159
BW - 757,768
R137 - 639,640
S2N - 633,342
AWE - 663,818
OoR - 506,393
PBD - 528,429
VK - 409,548

Offline RAIN

« Reply #1440 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:59 AM »
So it's been a few weeks, and to my pleasant amazement, I'm still digging the new album.  I'm not sure what it is specifically but I am enjoying this much more than any of the post MP albums.
Pale Blue Dot, Paralyzed, Barstool Warrior...just great songs. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1441 on: March 18, 2019, 08:41:49 AM »

Number of plays:

UA - 2,240,235
Paralyzed - 1,443,138
FitL - 1,887,159
BW - 757,768
R137 - 639,640
S2N - 633,342
AWE - 663,818
OoR - 506,393
PBD - 528,429
VK - 409,548

Looks about right.  The "singles" released before the album dropped are naturally going to have more plays.

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1442 on: March 18, 2019, 08:46:59 AM »
Ok.
So....after one listen there's nothing really "wrong" with album. It's ok stuff, some recycled noises and riffs here n there (how could there not be after all these years).  Considering nothing from them had moved me since Illumination Theory that I found myself tapping along to a few songs is a good sign.

I can already tell that A Wit's End will get the highest replay from me. Barstool Warrior was interesting, SN2 as well and the ballad was decent, though the lyrics seemed a little forced. Dave Mustaine could probably ask for some royalties for the beginning of Fall Into the Light, sounds more megadeth than megadeth.

cute album

7/10

Ytse
Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1443 on: March 18, 2019, 10:04:01 AM »

Number of plays:

UA - 2,240,235
Paralyzed - 1,443,138
FitL - 1,887,159
BW - 757,768
R137 - 639,640
S2N - 633,342
AWE - 663,818
OoR - 506,393
PBD - 528,429
VK - 409,548

Looks about right.  The "singles" released before the album dropped are naturally going to have more plays.

Yep. What I found interesting though was BW and AWE appears to have the most replay value. In DT's artist page, their most popular songs as of the moment are BW, PMU, Parayzed, UA, and AWE.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1444 on: March 18, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »
This might be old news, but anyone else notice they used the wrong logo font for this album?

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1445 on: March 18, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
This might be old news, but anyone else notice they used the wrong logo font for this album?

News to me. I don't see what you're referring to.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1446 on: March 18, 2019, 02:32:49 PM »

News to me. I don't see what you're referring to.

Compare the tail of the M. The font on DoT is the unofficial one that's been floating around the internet for years.

« Reply #1447 on: March 18, 2019, 02:37:42 PM »
Compare the tail of the M. The font on DoT is the unofficial one that's been floating around the internet for years.

Okay, I see it now. Honestly, I never in a million years would have noticed it, but I don't pay that much attention.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1448 on: March 18, 2019, 02:39:53 PM »

Okay, I see it now. Honestly, I never in a million years would have noticed it, but I don't pay that much attention.

I got my artbook today, so it was very noticeable.

« Reply #1449 on: March 18, 2019, 02:44:38 PM »
I got my artbook today, so it was very noticeable.
I guess I was too excited to look inside the artbook, to pay attention to the outside of it, haha.
I do wonder why this version of the font was used.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1450 on: March 18, 2019, 02:46:10 PM »

I still can't see the difference.

« Reply #1451 on: March 18, 2019, 02:50:38 PM »
Not sure how well you can see it on the actual CD, but on the H, there is a tiny gap between the left vertical line and the horizontal line. But on the "unofficial" font, the vertical and the horizontal bleed into each other, so that gap isn't there. That's one other thing I noticed about it.
It is much better visible on the physical versions, especially something like vinyls, or something with a higher resolution.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1452 on: March 18, 2019, 02:55:23 PM »
Lazy Syme?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1453 on: March 18, 2019, 02:56:45 PM »

Both have the official font. Strange. Both my CD and artbook have the unofficial font.

« Reply #1454 on: March 18, 2019, 02:57:52 PM »
Lazy Syme?

I feel like having the font from his other work with the band should be more accessible than having to search for it online. I wonder if he deleted it after they didn't commission him to do the artwork for The Astonishing, haha.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1455 on: March 18, 2019, 03:00:49 PM »
Lazy Syme?

I feel like having the font from his other work with the band should be more accessible than having to search for it online. I wonder if he deleted it after they didn't commission him to do the artwork for The Astonishing, haha.

Remember, this is the guy who takes watermarked images straight from Google.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1456 on: March 18, 2019, 03:15:36 PM »
Just wanted to say that Barstool Warrior is the band's best song since the epic Octavarium. This song just hits all the right buttons, it is brought down a peg by the chorus though. Could have been better, but it just rules on every other level other MM-era tunes just don't, so many powerful parts in BW.

AWE is great, too. I don't know about Pale Blue Dot, though. Seems unfinished, not well arranged. Maybe needs more listens. The intro kills though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1457 on: March 18, 2019, 04:09:16 PM »

(cover art for Awake and Distance Over Time)

Both have the official font. Strange. Both my CD and artbook have the unofficial font.

So the CD cover art uses the official font, but the artbook and the label on the CD itself use the unofficial font?

Lazy Syme?

I thought about that, too.  Do we know if Syme was involved in producing the artbook?

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1458 on: March 18, 2019, 05:30:24 PM »

So the CD cover art uses the official font, but the artbook and the label on the CD itself use the unofficial font?

Lazy Syme?

I thought about that, too.  Do we know if Syme was involved in producing the artbook?

No, both pictures you posted have the official font, but the physical CD and artbook both have the unofficial one.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1459 on: March 18, 2019, 05:39:16 PM »

Lazy Syme?

No, both pictures you posted have the official font, but the physical CD and artbook both have the unofficial one.

Oh my god, I can see it now. I'm looking at my pics of the box set LP cover, and I see the longer tail on the M, but the artbook has a shorter tail on the M. That is a GLARING misuse...how unfortunate. So the artwork for the album cover online, as posted by Orbert, is correct, but somehow, when the proofs for the artbook cover came around, I guess no one caught or bothered to check the font because it's definitely different. Oof... :facepalm:

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Another_Won

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Attest to the mighty river.Let the truth be heard!
« Reply #1460 on: March 18, 2019, 06:52:54 PM »
What!?!?!  I just found out that my video of Paralyzed is no longer "official" and now this! :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1461 on: March 18, 2019, 07:01:17 PM »
 :lol

were these the same artbooks that were delayed?  Seems like a non issue on the grand scheme of things, but kind of interesting to see such a mistake.  I guess it could make those who own this have a unique item for the ultra curious DT fans out there

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #1462 on: March 18, 2019, 07:07:07 PM »
:lol

were these the same artbooks that were delayed?  Seems like a non issue on the grand scheme of things, but kind of interesting to see such a mistake.  I guess it could make those who own this have a unique item for the ultra curious DT fans out there

Were all of them delayed, though? I got mine in the deluxe box set, which got to my house from Amazon just 10 days after release. Some folks are still waiting to get theirs, just the stand-alone artbook. I wonder if those have the fixed font, or if they'll be like the ones from the box set as well?

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1463 on: March 18, 2019, 07:14:14 PM »
I really havent followed the delay situation since I'm all digital these days, but I do wonder if there is a connection.

Offline Rob24

« Reply #1464 on: March 19, 2019, 04:31:50 AM »
I'm really enjoying the new album, going through emotions like "this is the DT that has been missing since Octavarium!" and similar moments of joy. While I loved and listened to a lot of The Astonishing, there was also something lacking in respect to the usual DT-album-feel and I'm pretty much completely satisfied in this regard with DoT. Heavier, dirtier, proggier, more song-y. 

However, there are some moments where I'm not 100% a fan of Petrucci's lyricism (although this has technically always been the case, I've just grown older to care more about whether or not the lyrics click with me). Especially Untethered Angel doesn't really sit right with me. First, some tidbits just don't seem very original / poetic, like "entangled and tied in knots, cold feet and second thoughts, a painful thing to watch".

Furthermore, what is he actually trying to say in this song? "Yeah, listen, I know you have some problems with anxiety that make you kinda live in agony, so, I just wanna tell you that your fear is severely limiting yourself"? It seems like most people who suffer from such fears already know that and it makes them even more frustrated to know that there is this huge burden keeping them from being what they want to be. It seems kind of "thanks, I'm cured"-like.

Anybody with me or able to share some additional context / discussion for the lyrics?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 09:35:40 AM by Rob24 »

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #1465 on: March 19, 2019, 08:04:54 PM »
Four listens in (So still not really qualified to say much) but the sonics and compression really bother me and there's something about the processing of James vocals that are strange in some cases but other than that.....

It's very inspiring. Lyrics are better too. The first two tracks (The ones I never listened to until Sunday were my least favorite on the album. Gets much better after that. Jordan is all over this record but he's difficult to hear unfortunately. Maybe the instrumental disc which I have not yet explored will be different.

Anyone try that yet?

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #1466 on: March 20, 2019, 10:11:19 AM »
D/T just hit a milestone on Spotify, with 10 million streams!

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1467 on: March 20, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
Maybe the instrumental disc which I have not yet explored will be different.

Anyone try that yet?

I did, it's pretty great.

D/T just hit a milestone on Spotify, with 10 million streams!

Very cool :tup
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

« Reply #1468 on: March 21, 2019, 12:11:25 PM »
Sorry if this has been brought up in previous pages already, but has anyone noticed that the copyright information for this album says, "Ytse Jams Inc. under exclusive license to InsideOutMusic"? It never said anything like that for their RoadRunner albums. I'm not a legal expert, but this makes it sound like what this basically means is that all rights to the album are actually retained by the band, and they're basically licensing it out to the label.
In other words, it makes it sound like, if DT ever switches to another label, that the album and its rights would remain belonging to the band, so that if they want to do anything with it in the future (like releasing a remaster, just as an example), they'd have the full rights to do that with the new label, or through any means they choose.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, for all I know, this wording doesn't mean much of anything. But it stuck out to me, so I just wanted to point it out.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1469 on: March 21, 2019, 01:43:42 PM »
No General DT Discussion thread to post this, so let me just say for the umpteenth time . . .

John Petrucci is a musical genius. So many INCREDIBLE songs and INCREDIBLE moments strewn over these 14 albums + EP. I'm not discounting the keyboardists, but JP is the driving genius behind it. So yeah this comment kinda applies to the D/T discussion I guess.