Author Topic: Deftones  (Read 31091 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Re: Deftones
« Reply #245 on: March 15, 2018, 06:45:26 AM »
Been listening to SOOO much Deftones lately.

I think my favorite album is Around the fur. Its just so damn hard hitting, aggressive and catchy. And it has be quiet and drive which is my favorite Deftones song.

Diamond eyes is a close second favorite.

And while I'm at it, I just want to say that I love RX queen from White pony

Offline DTA

« Reply #246 on: March 15, 2018, 07:57:08 AM »
I never gave Around The Fur too much attention. It always felt just a bit too rooted in nu-metal for me to appreciate it, though Mascara, the title track, and Dai The Flu are incredible songs. I should give it another listen and see how I like it now.

Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are masterpieces, with Gauze being the most underrated track in their entire catalog IMO.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #247 on: March 16, 2018, 06:38:12 AM »
Around The Fur will always be the OG in my eyes. I was so edgy and hardcore when I listened to it as a kid.  :rollin

Diamond and Koi really grew on me, the latter even more so. But man... Gore has done nothing for me, like even just as an album unto itself, but even less so in comparison to their other works. Every now and again I'll spin it to see if anything has changed but it just sounds so bland and uninspired to my ears. There's a few moments from a song here and there that I'll latch onto and it's gone before I have a chance to enjoy it.

I'm still hoping that they'll come out with another great one though, because it's clear that they still have something special with the current line up. I can't give them too much shit though with how much the band has been through. I'm kind of surprised they're still around. Grateful of that, though. And...now I want to try out Gore again... :lol It's like I'll guilt myself into it ever few months. Hmm... Maybe on this rainy morning it'll click...?

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline DTA

« Reply #248 on: March 16, 2018, 07:02:14 AM »
I've really tried with Gore, but I always finish it feeling underwhelmed and have no real interest in listening to it again. Meanwhile, I'm always in the mood to listen to Koi, White Pony, or Diamond Eyes. I think Prayers/Triangles and L(MIRL) are the only ones that even vaguely held my interest.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #249 on: March 16, 2018, 09:18:50 AM »
Yeah, I just finished a listen on my trek back from downtown and it was okay. I like Acid Hologram a lot more than before, but Prayers, L and Hearts are still the only tracks that have any kind of memorable aspects about them.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #250 on: March 18, 2018, 07:18:56 PM »
But Phantom Bride tho.
Hire me. I'm talentless but malleable.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #251 on: March 18, 2018, 11:58:33 PM »
But Phantom Bride tho.

Phantom Bride  :heart

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2018, 12:02:31 PM »
I tried to like Gore because Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan were so good, but I have to say that I truly feel it's one of their weaker albums. That Carpenter was struggling to get into this direction says enough I think. The songwriting just doesn't seem to be up to their usual standards. Also, the production kind of hurts my ears. I'm sure their next album will be better. At least they're willing to experiment, but in the end I feel the album is a bit of a mess.
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #253 on: August 20, 2020, 08:35:59 PM »
New album is called Ohms. Comes out sept 25th

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/deftones-new-album-title-and-release-date-revealed/

I'm digging the first single

« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 08:46:10 PM by Phoenix87x »

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #254 on: August 21, 2020, 12:56:05 AM »
Album cover reminds me of one of those video game creepypastas.  :lol

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #255 on: August 21, 2020, 09:02:10 AM »
Did not like Gore that much but I'm hyped for this. Diamond Eyes is my favorite and Koi No Yokan would probably make my top3 too so I'm hoping Gore was just a dud.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #256 on: August 21, 2020, 09:24:55 AM »
Diamond Eyes is my favorite as well and really what got me into the band. Really enjoy Koi No Yokan as well. There's some really beautiful stuff on that album.

Gore is a mess. I really dig Prayers/triangles, Hearts/wires and phantom bride but the rest is all over the place.

Definitely looking forward to hearing the rest of the new album.

Offline krands85

« Reply #257 on: September 19, 2020, 06:45:05 AM »
'Genesis' video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbp0bET06wc

Forgot the album was out next week!
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #258 on: September 19, 2020, 07:35:07 AM »
New song is so so, but I am still looking forward to the new album

Offline LordCost

« Reply #259 on: September 19, 2020, 12:07:27 PM »
Really impressed by the new song Genesis. The title track did not excite me as much as this new one.

Offline Train of Naught

• I sympathize, with a cockroach
  • .....and a cockroach
« Reply #260 on: September 19, 2020, 02:08:06 PM »
Probably the worst Deftones track I’ve ever heard. Fuck, maybe I’ve just grown out of them but this sounds super super bad to me
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #261 on: September 19, 2020, 02:33:50 PM »
For me, the new one is just Deftones by the numbers. Kinda heavy, a little all over the place and not very memorable. Reminds of the lesser Gore tracks.

Honestly, just let me get a handful of really solid tracks on the new album and I'll be happy, but Genesis is not something I am going to go out of my way to listen to.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #262 on: September 26, 2020, 03:57:24 AM »
I think I'm completely done with new Deftones from here on, this is one of the most disappointing albums I've listened to in the last couple of years. I was surprised to find out I disliked the second single even more than the first :lol

Chino just sounds like a cat in pain, the riffs all sound like Koi No Yokan/Gore leftovers.
people on this board are actual music fans who developed taste in music and not casual listeners who are following current fashion trends and listening to only current commercial hits.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #263 on: September 26, 2020, 05:09:45 AM »
Agreed.

I had to struggle to get through 2 full listens of the new album. Its uninspired and unmemorable. The songs are directionless. I am really disappointed with this one.

Offline DTA

« Reply #264 on: September 26, 2020, 06:16:41 AM »
I actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would. There's still some tracks in the middle that seem pointless, but as a whole I'm pretty happy. Radiant City and Urantia are the two early standouts, while Pompeji might be the most useless thing I've ever heard.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #265 on: September 26, 2020, 07:13:09 AM »
I tried to like Gore because Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan were so good, but I have to say that I truly feel it's one of their weaker albums. That Carpenter was struggling to get into this direction says enough I think. The songwriting just doesn't seem to be up to their usual standards. Also, the production kind of hurts my ears. I'm sure their next album will be better. At least they're willing to experiment, but in the end I feel the album is a bit of a mess.

Guess I predicted that right  ;D I have yet to hear anyone say this is worse than Gore.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #266 on: September 26, 2020, 08:36:00 AM »
I've gone through a couple of tracks and I don't get the hype at all, I agree that these tracks feel very aimless, the riffs are ok, the choruses are mediocre. I'll give the whole thing a listen to see if there's anything worth going back to, but I'm just baffled at the fan response being so positive.

Offline Train of Naught

• .....and a cockroach
« Reply #267 on: September 27, 2020, 08:40:40 AM »

Guess I predicted that right  ;D I have yet to hear anyone say this is worse than Gore.
Happy to be the first! I find Gore miles better than this stuff

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #268 on: September 27, 2020, 12:30:10 PM »
I'll take Gore anyday over Ohms

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #269 on: September 27, 2020, 03:05:40 PM »
Haha alright!

Offline Polarbear

« Reply #270 on: September 28, 2020, 02:12:59 AM »
I had a casual listen of the new album, and my first reaction was pretty positive. It's definitely better than the last one. One of my faves from the new album is actually Genesis!

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #271 on: September 28, 2020, 12:42:20 PM »
After Gore I was worried they had lost their touch but Ohms is a really strong return to form and has elements from all their best albums. Potential AOTY candidate. :)

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #272 on: September 28, 2020, 06:22:12 PM »
I've been listening to Koi No Yokan for the first time in a few years and I forgot how much I love "Leathers".  :metal

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #273 on: September 28, 2020, 06:32:19 PM »
And not only leathers, but its got awesome stuff like Rosmary, Entombed and tempest. Such a great album

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #274 on: September 28, 2020, 06:52:50 PM »
I think I personally underrate it because when it came out, I was still riding the high of Diamond Eyes and by the time it clicked for me, Gore was coming out. Every time I come back to KNY, it's like "oh yeah, now I remember, I LIKE this album!"  :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #275 on: September 28, 2020, 07:04:04 PM »
Same with me. Diamond Eyes is the album that made me love the band, so I felt the same with Koi when it came out. Really great album though

Offline Nel

• Humorless Bore
« Reply #276 on: September 28, 2020, 07:15:15 PM »
DE was my first album. Loved it. First heard the band because "Hole in the Earth" was in the Saints Row 2 radio soundtrack, so I sought out the band because that song was awesome. DE was the album that came out a few years after that game, so that's the one I bought.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #277 on: September 29, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »
I really like Urantia, Error, The Spell Of Mathematics and the title track. The rest of the album I'm not so sure about, especially the heavier songs like Genesis and Radiant City.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #278 on: September 30, 2020, 08:05:27 AM »
I've been listening to Koi No Yokan for the first time in a few years and I forgot how much I love "Leathers".  :metal

That's a top 5 Deftones track for me, the chorus feels like the most emotional thing I've heard from them.

As for the new album, I'm digging it, it's not blowing me away on all fronts but favorites are starting to come out:

Genesis - This is still my favorite
Urantia - Super cool verses
The Spell of Mathematics - Love the outro

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #279 on: September 30, 2020, 08:09:36 AM »
The title track is really fun to play on guitar. And it's in E standard, which I don't think the band has done in quite a while. :lol
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1