Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553081 times)

Online Mladen

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6440 on: February 08, 2022, 01:58:58 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the set list tomorrow morning.  :tup

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6441 on: February 08, 2022, 03:04:53 PM »
I am looking forward to seeing the set list tomorrow morning.  :tup

Me 2! Going to the Keswick show next week! :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6442 on: February 08, 2022, 05:36:33 PM »
I look forward to lazy fans posting a set list with "Similitude medley" instead of listing the actual freaking songs, leaving us to wonder what actual songs were played.  :lol :lol

Online MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6443 on: February 09, 2022, 05:24:04 AM »
SETLIST SPOILER

A friend of mine at the show said they played ALL I&D plus:

I'm guessing it was the medley from morsefest last year?

City of Destruction
So Far Gone
The Ways of a Fool
Welcome to the World
The Great Adventure
A Love That Never Dies

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #6444 on: February 09, 2022, 06:32:23 AM »
They didn't play all of I&D, they omitted Emergence and Not Afraid Pt. 1. They added Waterfall to the first part of the set. I thought the show was good. The band was on fire and Neal was all over the place when they opened with Do It All Again and Bird On A Wire. I sensed things were kind of slowing down with it being too I&D heavy as The Way It Had To Be was a bit of a slog and as much as I think Bridge Over Troubled Water is good, they should have done another original there.

The "epics" portion was a bit much IMO. They are good songs but by the end of Beyond The Years I was bored to tears. That's just me it's hard for me to keep my energy throughout a 31 minute song. I used to feel the same way about World Without End, more like song without end.  :laugh:

The band rebounded in the encore portion with the songs noted above and the crowd loved it. I wish they would have thrown a Welcome To The World in the first set but that's just me.

Everyone was in great voice, there were a few messups with the sound etc which is to be expected for the first night.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6445 on: February 09, 2022, 07:54:06 AM »
Since I love I&D, it can't be "I&D heavy" to me.  I thought the energy of the first two songs was incredible.  Bird On A Wire, my favorite song from I&D, was everything I could have hoped for.  Mike was ON. FIRE.  En fuego.   

I was pleasantly surprised with the encore.   I haven't really connected with The Similitude/Great Adventure records like many others have, so when Bill (Axeman) and I were talking about what the set could look like, I was really hoping for Alive Again instead of the medley.  But I left convinced.  It was a powerful segment and they did it right. 

For me, and I get that it's just for me, that was an almost perfect show.  The musicianship was off the charts; I've already said Mike was on fire, and I really don't know how Neal does it, frankly.  He constantly rotated between four instruments (counting the laptop) and sang - though Eric took at least one if not two of the parts that I always attributed to Neal.   While there were errors, it was organic and never detracted from the show.  If anything it made it more real; Neal came out as Do It Again started squinted at his laptop and reached into his pocket to pull out his reading glasses.  How metal is that?  His roadie plugged in his acoustic and there was a huge click, and later he walked to the front of the stage and the cord pulled out on him.  Yet he never missed a beat.   The song selection wasn't perfect (I would have liked Alive Again, and Not Afraid Pt. 1) but it was solid.  I feel blessed (pun intended) to have witnessed Waterfall live.  It was simply amazing.

I'm excited to see them again tonight to see what changes, if anything, and to see what might have been modifications from the record to the stage, or what might have been "improv" (mistake?).   There was a segment where Randy had a sort of solo spot along with Mike and it seemed like Mike MIGHT have missed the beat and Randy looked at him; was it to keep time in a complicated spot, was it acknowledging that Mike was playing with him a bit, or was it acknowledging there was a mistake there.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6446 on: February 09, 2022, 07:59:49 PM »
That is quite surprising that Not Afraid Pt. 1 was not played, but the return of Waterfall into the rotation of the normal touring is a great thing.  Seems a bit strange to have two covers in there when there are so many great NMB songs going unplayed, but still looks really good overall.  Still a little bummed they aren't hitting STL, but absolutely not complaining as I know touring around this pandemic is a minefield.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6447 on: February 10, 2022, 08:19:54 AM »
So, saw Boston.  They certainly fixed all the technical problems and really delivered a great set.  I think the band - at least Neal himself - was more into it tonight.  He seemed to genuinely escape into the music, whereas NY had moments where he was clearly "performing" (trying to get all the moves/changes down).   Great to see that his banter and raps are not scripted, too.

Waterfall was just as beautiful the second time as it was the first.

Got to chat briefly with Randy in the street before the show. Very nice man and I appreciate his time. 

Offline Kram

« Reply #6448 on: February 10, 2022, 10:37:08 AM »
So, saw Boston.  They certainly fixed all the technical problems and really delivered a great set.  I think the band - at least Neal himself - was more into it tonight.  He seemed to genuinely escape into the music, whereas NY had moments where he was clearly "performing" (trying to get all the moves/changes down).   Great to see that his banter and raps are not scripted, too.

Got to chat briefly with Randy in the street before the show. Very nice man and I appreciate his time.
Same exact setlist as NY? 

Offline Kram

« Reply #6449 on: February 10, 2022, 10:38:55 AM »
That is quite surprising that Not Afraid Pt. 1 was not played, but the return of Waterfall into the rotation of the normal touring is a great thing.  Seems a bit strange to have two covers in there when there are so many great NMB songs going unplayed, but still looks really good overall.  Still a little bummed they aren't hitting STL, but absolutely not complaining as I know touring around this pandemic is a minefield.
I'm with you Kev, big fan of Not Afraid Pt. 1.  I would rather see that and another original or two then see them play cover songs.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6450 on: February 10, 2022, 10:48:43 AM »

Same exact setlist as NY?

Yessir

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6451 on: February 10, 2022, 11:05:33 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first NMB tour setlist to not feature any pre-NMB Neal Morse songs in the setlist? I remember the last encore medley they did featured a chronological Neal-compilation including songs from his solo prog albums, but I'm pretty sure this is the first NMB tour to not feature songs from the likes of Testimony, One, etc.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6452 on: February 10, 2022, 11:46:00 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first NMB tour setlist to not feature any pre-NMB Neal Morse songs in the setlist? I remember the last encore medley they did featured a chronological Neal-compilation including songs from his solo prog albums, but I'm pretty sure this is the first NMB tour to not feature songs from the likes of Testimony, One, etc.

-Marc.
I think so.  And that's fine.  Surely at this point they have enough NMB material not to require anything prior.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6453 on: February 10, 2022, 12:00:06 PM »

-Marc.
I think so.  And that's fine.  Surely at this point they have enough NMB material not to require anything prior.

Oh definitely, and I was merely observing and not critiquing, though I know some fans might be disappointed at the lack of pre-NMB material, but I like that they're able to stand on their own as a band now with material that only they have written/recorded together. I'm sure that Mike had a hand in crafting the set list, though I wonder how they went about deciding how much I&D material they would play.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6454 on: February 10, 2022, 12:28:07 PM »
Not sure why fans would be disappointed to see the Neal Morse Band playing all songs by the Neal Morse Band. ;)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6455 on: February 10, 2022, 12:30:55 PM »
Not sure why fans would be disappointed to see the Neal Morse Band playing all songs by the Neal Morse Band. ;)

For a band named after a man who has been/is in multiple bands and has been known to cover his own material from various bands while in other bands, some might expect a SB or Solo-Morse song during each tour of his. But you're right, at this point, most folks should just be expecting NMB to play NMB!

And speaking of this tour, has anyone heard/read if they'll be recording any of the shows while on tour for a future live release?

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6456 on: February 10, 2022, 12:31:46 PM »
I am assuming they will record and release half of them for live releases. :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6457 on: February 10, 2022, 12:39:06 PM »
I am assuming they will record and release half of them for live releases. :lol
Same
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6458 on: February 10, 2022, 01:00:48 PM »
I certainly didn't see any cameras at the first two shows.  I imagine the O2 show might be filmed, or are they playing the Z7 or 013 or whatever it is where every other Neal Morse related show ever has been filmed?  :) :)

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6459 on: February 10, 2022, 01:36:38 PM »
I certainly didn't see any cameras at the first two shows.  I imagine the O2 show might be filmed, or are they playing the Z7 or 013 or whatever it is where every other Neal Morse related show ever has been filmed?  :) :)

The 013 in Tilburg has been a mainstay for prog concert videos for Neal, as well as Roine Stolt. I suspect if there's a concert to record in Europe, that'll be the one, though it'll be the 5th show out of 18 in Europe, so maybe they'll opt for one later in the tour leg, like in Brno (again), or Hamburg. It would be neat to see them release a show from NA, though, given that Neal more often than not releases European shows from his tours (though we do get Morsefests every year in the US).

-Marc.

Offline tuto

« Reply #6460 on: February 13, 2022, 09:23:17 AM »
I find it extremely weird that they decided to exclude Not Afraid Pt1. It would have only taken up 4 more minutes and they could have done it right after Waterfall while they were already in "acoustic mode".

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6461 on: February 13, 2022, 09:29:06 AM »
I find it extremely weird that they decided to exclude Not Afraid Pt1. It would have only taken up 4 more minutes and they could have done it right after Waterfall while they were already in "acoustic mode".

And they could've avoided the covers.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6462 on: February 13, 2022, 11:57:07 AM »
Not trying to be "bitch about the set list" guy today, really :lol, but while I love seeing all of those new songs in NMB's set list, it feels like little imagination went in to making it.  After two full tours of full albums being played and taking up the entire set lists (prior to encores), it was cool to see them release a non-concept album, as that meant they could do a set list of NMB songs that bounce all around from album to album, but instead the main set is basically most of the new album (minus Emergence and Not Afraid Part 1 omitted) in the same running order as the album and then with the Breathe cover and Waterfall snuck in there as well, and then it's "okay, here are three songs from Similitude all played back to back to back" and then the same thing with The Great Adventure. 

To be fair, the fact that they are able to tour at all right now is a blessing, but I just thought a little more imagination would have been put into the running order of this set list.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6463 on: February 13, 2022, 01:40:36 PM »
Not trying to be "bitch about the set list" guy today, really :lol, but while I love seeing all of those new songs in NMB's set list, it feels like little imagination went in to making it.  After two full tours of full albums being played and taking up the entire set lists (prior to encores), it was cool to see them release a non-concept album, as that meant they could do a set list of NMB songs that bounce all around from album to album, but instead the main set is basically most of the new album (minus Emergence and Not Afraid Part 1 omitted) in the same running order as the album and then with the Breathe cover and Waterfall snuck in there as well, and then it's "okay, here are three songs from Similitude all played back to back to back" and then the same thing with The Great Adventure. 

To be fair, the fact that they are able to tour at all right now is a blessing, but I just thought a little more imagination would have been put into the running order of this set list.

Spot on.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline tuto

« Reply #6464 on: February 13, 2022, 05:55:15 PM »

And they could've avoided the covers.

I'm actually quite alright with the covers because they only do about 50 seconds of 'Breathe', and their version of Bridge Over Troubled Water brings me to tears every time. It's just that they could have definitely fit a 4 minute song like Not Afraid Pt 1. They even did it at Morsefest so it seems odd to exclude it now

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6465 on: February 14, 2022, 06:53:38 AM »

I got the chance to speak to Randy briefly in the street before the Boston show and we talked about that.  I had mentioned "Alive Again", and he said that they agonized (my word) about the set.  They wanted to play the new album - and if you saw it, you can tell that they are energized by that music - and struggled with what to do around that.  They considered "Alive Again" but it would have taken too much of the set.  "Waterfall" and the medley were the compromise that seemed to check the most boxes and cover the most ground.

As someone who considers I&D to be one of my favorite albums OF ALL TIME by any artist, I'm not sweating them playing the new album.  Even if it wasn't a favorite, they don't tour enough for me to be mad about them wanting to play their new music, music they are obviously incredibly proud of.   

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6466 on: February 14, 2022, 08:31:18 AM »

I got the chance to speak to Randy briefly in the street before the Boston show and we talked about that.  I had mentioned "Alive Again", and he said that they agonized (my word) about the set.  They wanted to play the new album - and if you saw it, you can tell that they are energized by that music - and struggled with what to do around that.  They considered "Alive Again" but it would have taken too much of the set.  "Waterfall" and the medley were the compromise that seemed to check the most boxes and cover the most ground.

As someone who considers I&D to be one of my favorite albums OF ALL TIME by any artist, I'm not sweating them playing the new album.  Even if it wasn't a favorite, they don't tour enough for me to be mad about them wanting to play their new music, music they are obviously incredibly proud of.

Thanks for posting what Randy said. Good to get that kind of insight.  :tup :tup

And to reiterate, I have no issues with them playing most of the new album. I am glad they are!  I just thought they would have been a little more creative with the set list rather than playing every song from it (that got played) in the exact same order in which they appear on the studio album.  That's it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6467 on: February 14, 2022, 09:58:56 AM »
It kind of works, though.  The first two are like a shot out of a cannon (I've often said Bird On A Wire is my favorite song from the new record, and seeing it live twice has done NOTHING to diminish that).   They introduce the next few as their "poppier" side, and it does sort of level off a bit, but then the BOTW picks things back up again.  Waterfall is done "acoustically", meaning, the band (minus Randy) are on stools performing.  Then there is a break, and there is literally 50 minutes of music straight through.   For me, Beyond The Years has sort of taken it's time in sinking in, but at no time did I think "wow, this is a LOT!"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6468 on: February 14, 2022, 04:24:55 PM »
I hear ya.  Beyond the Years is pretty amazing, so that would pretty much work anywhere in the set list. 

I said it before and I will say it again: Waterfall being back in the set list just feels right.   I know fans go nuts over June by Spock's, and that is a good song, but Waterfall feels like NMB's We All Need Some Light.  Both of those songs are just 10/10. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6469 on: February 15, 2022, 07:32:24 AM »
I hear ya.  Beyond the Years is pretty amazing, so that would pretty much work anywhere in the set list. 

I said it before and I will say it again: Waterfall being back in the set list just feels right.   I know fans go nuts over June by Spock's, and that is a good song, but Waterfall feels like NMB's We All Need Some Light.  Both of those songs are just 10/10.

People talk about the musicality of the NMB, and for me, that song is just the essence of what I love about music.  Four people (and not to leave out Randy; he played the synth part near the end) playing real instruments, singing each of their parts, and creating something that is greater than the sum of the parts.   I don't expect others to have the same experience, but for me, who LOVES that song (anyone get an "Entangled" vibe?) i got to see it two nights in a row and it was enchanting.   I really get off these days in watching people play captivating music (and yes, I know this is subjective) in real time.  There was no relying on lights, or explosions, or stage sets, or anything like that.  They could have been playing this in the lobby of a hotel, or in the parking lot, and to hear that level of skill is just something special.   When I saw Bruce Springsteen on Broadway, one of the things I really liked was being close enough where I could hear him playing and singing outside the amplification.  It made it real.  This had the same vibe, and I feel lucky to have experienced it.

(By the way, I just saw The Musical Box play in Ridgefield, from the front row; they did Entangled as well, and it had a VERY similar, enchanting feeling.  The music was just swirling around the theater in all three cases.)

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #6470 on: February 15, 2022, 12:49:27 PM »
I got to see the show in Baltimore and put me in the group that had no problem with the setlist. Would I have liked to have heard a few more track from The Grand Experiment? Absolutely, because I missed out on that tour when the album was new. But not hearing more of it didn't bother me. I like the new album and every song I have not seen live in person (I don't count watching Morsefest 2021 online as seeing a song performed live). So other than the encore, everything was new to me and that alone makes puts my seal of approval on the setlist. It was a great show and I just wish the Keswick show this week was on Saturday so I could take it in a second time.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6471 on: February 15, 2022, 01:11:18 PM »
I'm sorry to sound so obsessive about this, but I kicked around Albany (about 75 minutes from me) and the Keswick.  My wife was tolerant of two school nights, but if I stretched it to four, I think she'd ask to check my phone.  "What's her name??"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6472 on: February 15, 2022, 06:53:49 PM »

People talk about the musicality of the NMB, and for me, that song is just the essence of what I love about music.  Four people (and not to leave out Randy; he played the synth part near the end) playing real instruments, singing each of their parts, and creating something that is greater than the sum of the parts.   I don't expect others to have the same experience, but for me, who LOVES that song (anyone get an "Entangled" vibe?) i got to see it two nights in a row and it was enchanting.  I really get off these days in watching people play captivating music (and yes, I know this is subjective) in real time.  There was no relying on lights, or explosions, or stage sets, or anything like that.  They could have been playing this in the lobby of a hotel, or in the parking lot, and to hear that level of skill is just something special.  When I saw Bruce Springsteen on Broadway, one of the things I really liked was being close enough where I could hear him playing and singing outside the amplification.  It made it real.  This had the same vibe, and I feel lucky to have experienced it.

(By the way, I just saw The Musical Box play in Ridgefield, from the front row; they did Entangled as well, and it had a VERY similar, enchanting feeling.  The music was just swirling around the theater in all three cases.)

You and me both. There is just something so pure, so live, about performances like that.  I think a few of our favorite other bands could take a cue these days and be a bit more like that at times.  :)

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6473 on: February 15, 2022, 10:45:50 PM »
I'm sorry to sound so obsessive about this, but I kicked around Albany (about 75 minutes from me) and the Keswick.  My wife was tolerant of two school nights, but if I stretched it to four, I think she'd ask to check my phone.  "What's her name??"

"Eric... name's Eric..."
any rock can be made to roll

Offline PowerSlave

« Reply #6474 on: February 16, 2022, 12:56:48 AM »

I was at the Cleveland show tonight. The PF cover was extremely brief. Probably no more than a minute to a minute and a half at the most. I don't really think anything got booted out of the set to include it. It was more of a case of tagging it on to the end of another song.

Unfortunately, Randy had on and off tech issues throughout the night, and Neal ended up stopping the band in the middle of a song due to it. However, it didn't detract from the show in my opinion. The band performed extremely well and Neal was very emotional towards the end of the set. I think that he was near to tears a couple of times towards the end of the night.
All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again