Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554234 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6405 on: January 13, 2022, 08:01:48 PM »
Still no STL date.  Damn.

I blame Portnoy. :P :P

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6406 on: January 14, 2022, 07:02:11 AM »
Next time I talk to him, I'll ask him if he's going to Indonesia.   :) :)

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6407 on: January 18, 2022, 12:59:23 PM »
With Neal's vast body of work between his solo/NMB stuff, SB, TA, and other projects, he should be expanding his set lists to the point where anything could be played on any given night, instead of full album performances or static set lists. It would be pretty interesting if he committed to that, even just for one or two tours.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6408 on: January 18, 2022, 02:05:59 PM »
With Neal's vast body of work between his solo/NMB stuff, SB, TA, and other projects, he should be expanding his set lists to the point where anything could be played on any given night, instead of full album performances or static set lists. It would be pretty interesting if he committed to that, even just for one or two tours.

Well, he has played music from his various bands with his other various bands, just probably not to the extent you're wishing for. For example, he's played SB tunes (in full and in partial) with Transatlantic, Flying Colors, solo, and with the Neal Morse Band. He's also played TA tunes with his solo tours and with the NMB. I think what it comes down to is wanting to represent the music he's recorded with the musicians he's currently touring with. Granted, Portnoy is in like all of those groups, but each group has different lead vocalists (Roine & Pete, Bill & Eric, Casey) whose voices all lend themselves to their music, but hearing, say, Bill belt out Pete's lines from Transatlantic, or Casey sing some Transatlantic, might feel a bit weird.

If Neal had a MEGA tour with all of those musicians on stage, he could probably do it justice, but I don't see that happening at all. Now, if it was just music that only Neal sang on, that would be more likely, especially since he does that already with Spock's Beard songs (and has been doing for the last 20 years).

Maybe when Neal feels like he's reached the end of his live performance career, he'll hold one more Morsefest and feature music and musicians from all of his bands (SB, TA, FC, and NMB) and have a week-long concert festival.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6409 on: January 18, 2022, 06:18:47 PM »
Yeah, with no concept album to tour on this time around, it would be cool if NMB would get a little more flexible with the set lists. Heck, just have one or two spots a night that are left open every night to where it could be anything. 

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6410 on: January 19, 2022, 03:56:05 AM »
The new album is great, if I get to see them play I would love them to just play it as is. And I'd personally prefer them to keep it to The Neal Morse Band material in general. All of that is still fresh and there is plenty to rotate if they wish to do that (7 CD's worth of music). 

Most bands I see play roughly the same setlist with a couple of new(er) songs sprinkled along the setlist over a period of several years. Neal Morse has very big differences between tours usually, as there is always plenty of new material.

Offline 425

« Reply #6411 on: January 19, 2022, 08:05:41 AM »
I think NMB should play mostly NMB music at this point. I know that the name causes some people to think of NMB as a successor to NM solo, but at this point I think it's a distinct collaboration. Eric and Bill should be touring mostly music that they worked on, not acting as a backing band for the NM career retrospective.

I think there's room for a couple of NM solo songs and maybe one SB song, but I don't think those should take over the setlists at this point. I don't think there's any reason for NMB to incorporate Transatlantic or Flying Colors songs into its regular setlists, because those bands are still touring.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6412 on: January 19, 2022, 09:00:53 AM »
I think NMB should play mostly NMB music at this point. I know that the name causes some people to think of NMB as a successor to NM solo, but at this point I think it's a distinct collaboration. Eric and Bill should be touring mostly music that they worked on, not acting as a backing band for the NM career retrospective.
I tend to agree with this.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline DTA

« Reply #6413 on: January 19, 2022, 12:46:05 PM »
I think NMB only incorporates older solo songs to give the audience some "deep" tracks. They've played every album straight through numerous times so there's no real rarities to give the audience besides older tracks that haven't been played in forever. As great as stuff like Morsefest and the Marillion Weekends are, it seems that once bands go the yearly long-weekend route, their ordinary sets get a bit more stale and boring because they're saving the obscure stuff for the special events.

Offline Kram

« Reply #6414 on: January 19, 2022, 12:57:35 PM »

I think there's room for a couple of NM solo songs and maybe one SB song, but I don't think those should take over the setlists at this point. I don't think there's any reason for NMB to incorporate Transatlantic or Flying Colors songs into its regular setlists, because those bands are still touring.
I agree with this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6415 on: January 19, 2022, 05:35:57 PM »
I agree with 425 as well.  I know it is the Neal Morse Band, but playing too much stuff from Neal's other projects is not necessary.  Not that I don't love hearing some of it, but NMB has more than enough material now to where playing material regularly from Neal's other projects, including his solo work, is not really needed.  Morsefest is a different animal of course, cause that is a Neal Morse-centric event.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6416 on: January 22, 2022, 06:17:31 PM »
I am bummed. I have VIP seating tickets for the NYC show at the Sony Theater on Feb. 8, but I can't make it now. I have posted them for re-sale on Ticketmaster, but if anyone here is interested feel free to message me.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 06:39:18 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Online The Letter M

« Reply #6417 on: February 01, 2022, 12:39:08 PM »
https://youtu.be/Xnq7QBtJlpI

The Daily Doug has an interview up with Neal Morse! A fun listen as Neal talks about the upcoming D'Virgilio Morse Jennings album Troika, and other things regarding NMB, TA, and SB as well!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline OpenYourEyes311

« Reply #6418 on: February 01, 2022, 06:36:58 PM »
*****POSSIBLE SETLIST TYPE SPOILER*****

Mike Portnoy on Facebook replied to a comment regarding if they were going to play a Spock's Beard song.

He said "Only NMB material"
I don't want MP playing with DT unless they were making a drummer change. If they let MM go and bring back MP, then fine, but no guest appearance please.
WELP.

Online HOF

« Reply #6419 on: February 01, 2022, 10:07:09 PM »

The Daily Doug has an interview up with Neal Morse! A fun listen as Neal talks about the upcoming D'Virgilio Morse Jennings album Troika, and other things regarding NMB, TA, and SB as well!

-Marc.

This was just a really fun interview. Doug did a great job of prepping for it (unlike some YouTuber interviews I've seen lately - looking at you Pete Pardo) and really had some good questions for Neal, who seemed to really be into it and happy to discuss a wide range of topics. The one thing I wish was that Doug had let Neal go on a little more about what it was like for Spock's Beard to make it as a prog band in the 90s, but understandably the interview was getting long at that point. Really cool to see two accomplished musicians discussing their craft. Maybe Neal will get Doug to come on his podcast at some point. That would probably be a lot of fun.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6420 on: February 02, 2022, 07:46:47 AM »

-Marc.
Watched this last night.  Very entertaining.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6421 on: February 02, 2022, 07:50:03 AM »
As did I.  Next week seeing The Neal Morse Band live again.  Might meet up with Rumborak! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6422 on: February 02, 2022, 07:54:03 AM »
As did I.  Next week seeing The Neal Morse Band live again.  Might meet up with Rumborak! :metal
Tell him I said "Hi!"

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6423 on: February 02, 2022, 08:54:05 AM »
Tell him I said "Hi!"

I will!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kram

« Reply #6424 on: February 02, 2022, 11:09:18 AM »

-Marc.
Was a fun watch.  I've grown to like Doug and of course Neal is one of my all time favorite musicians.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #6425 on: February 02, 2022, 02:46:20 PM »

-Marc.

This was just a really fun interview. Doug did a great job of prepping for it (unlike some YouTuber interviews I've seen lately - looking at you Pete Pardo)

Agreed. That guy is TERRIBLE!

Online HOF

« Reply #6426 on: February 02, 2022, 02:52:02 PM »

-Marc.

This was just a really fun interview. Doug did a great job of prepping for it (unlike some YouTuber interviews I've seen lately - looking at you Pete Pardo)

Agreed. That guy is TERRIBLE!

I mean, he seems like a nice guy, but he also seems to do zero prep before he starts recording his videos.

Also, I hope you aren’t Pete Pardo!  ;D

Offline Mladen

« Reply #6427 on: February 03, 2022, 02:19:36 AM »
I've never had a problem with Pete Pardo interviews. What's not to like? He seemed pretty informed to me last time he interviewed Neal.

I agree that the interview with Doug was really good, I enjoyed it.  :tup

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6428 on: February 03, 2022, 02:33:27 AM »
I saw Pardo on YouTube but never really watched many videos by him. Could you guys post a videos where this becomes evident?

Another YouTuber who is constantly semi-prepared is Notes Reviews. He keeps mispronouncing people's names and album titles, it drives me crazy  :lol
any rock can be made to roll

Online HOF

« Reply #6429 on: February 03, 2022, 07:23:08 AM »
I've never had a problem with Pete Pardo interviews. What's not to like? He seemed pretty informed to me last time he interviewed Neal.

I agree that the interview with Doug was really good, I enjoyed it.  :tup

I may have been too hard on him. Went back and rewatched the interview I was thinking of, and I didn’t get the same impression. There was one review a while back where he didn’t seem to have done much leg work to learn who was in the band or how to pronounce certain names. But I think I probably was overreacting.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6430 on: February 03, 2022, 11:06:07 AM »
Pete pardo's fine.  i think his best work is when he does round table style discussions with friends.  those are a blast.  his weakness is when he does album rankings.  there he always seems bored and disinterested.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6431 on: February 03, 2022, 11:37:41 AM »
I watched Pete Pardo's review of DT's A View from the Top of World.  In a 10-minute video about the album, the only thing he said about the 20-minute title track was: "The big, big epic works fine for me."  Nothing more.  It made me feel like he rushed out the review or something.  That aside, he seems like a knowledgeable prog guy though.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 05:02:38 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #6432 on: February 03, 2022, 05:35:09 PM »
I watched Pete Pardo's review of DT's A View from the Top of World.  In a 10-minute video about the album, the only thing he said about the 20-minute title track was: "The big, big epic works fine for me."  Nothing more.  It made me feel like he rushed out the review or something.  That aside, he seems like a knowledgeable prog guy though.

thoese are all his reviews. 

"it's cool.....i dig it......i dig it."

or

"it's not good.......not good.......nah.....don't dig it"

lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #6433 on: February 06, 2022, 11:06:39 AM »
Pete's advantage is that he has been doing this for a VERY long time. I think he's probably the first guy to do metal reviews on YouTube. But there are others that go into a lot more detail. Not to toot my own horn, but look at this review, written by a colleague of mine at Sonic Perspectives: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/neal-morse-band-innocence-danger/

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6434 on: February 06, 2022, 08:44:00 PM »
Pete's advantage is that he has been doing this for a VERY long time. I think he's probably the first guy to do metal reviews on YouTube. But there are others that go into a lot more detail. Not to toot my own horn, but look at this review, written by a colleague of mine at Sonic Perspectives: https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/neal-morse-band-innocence-danger/

To push back a little, Scott seems like a good guy, but he is one of the runners of the Neal Morse fan forum, so it is hard to view any review he does of a Neal Morse album as being totally objective.  Same thing goes for the Geoff guy there who literally works for Radiant (not full time, but helps out when needed, IIRC) and also submits professional reviews for Neal or Neal-related albums.  I get that this is the way it is now, but that is the problem with a lot of the reviewers, as they are so worried about losing access that their reviews almost have to be positive or they risk pissing off the artists.  And to bring it around a little, that is a big advantage for artists nowadays, as it used to be any braindead critic should rip them and the artist has little recourse to reply and have it heard by the masses, but with the information age and social media, an artist can respond to criticism right away (which can be a good thing or a bad thing).

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6435 on: February 07, 2022, 02:58:48 AM »
I just checked out that channel and it seems fine to me. Some people just like to hear people talk about their passion. Most reviews seem short form and come at a frequent rate. I get the appeal of that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6436 on: February 08, 2022, 07:44:41 AM »
So who is going to Sony Hall tonight to see the NMB?   I'm heading down myself; should be in the area around 4:00. 

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6437 on: February 08, 2022, 07:54:14 AM »
So who is going to Sony Hall tonight to see the NMB?   I'm heading down myself; should be in the area around 4:00. 

I'll be there Stads. You have a general admission or VIP ticket?
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6438 on: February 08, 2022, 08:01:27 AM »

GA, I believe.

Are the VIP tix seated?  Or is this an entirely standing show?   I know for Flying Colors, we just walked in and had a decent placement.  I wasn't up against the barrier or anything, but I saw and heard the entire show.

Is there an opener (I don't think so...)?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #6439 on: February 08, 2022, 10:56:20 AM »

GA, I believe.

Are the VIP tix seated?  Or is this an entirely standing show?   I know for Flying Colors, we just walked in and had a decent placement.  I wasn't up against the barrier or anything, but I saw and heard the entire show.

Is there an opener (I don't think so...)?

So for this one there's VIP seating with tables and chairs right in front of the stage (which is a bit weird of a setup imo). I called the venue, no opening band just doors at 6 and NMB at 8.
Photobucket sucks.