Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 554053 times)

Kwyjibo (+ 1 Hidden) and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline gzarruk

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #6090 on: September 27, 2021, 02:34:11 PM »
MinistroRaven is Neal? :neverusethis:

We've never seen both in the same room, so...

haha, wrong!

1. That's awesome :hefdaddy

2. Which one is the real Mike? :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #6091 on: September 28, 2021, 03:05:58 AM »
I honestly do not have any problem with Beyond the Years, though my preference does lie with the initial 20 minutes or so.

Offline emtee

« Reply #6092 on: September 28, 2021, 06:34:09 AM »
Gonna be extremely hard for anything to top this in 2021. Every listen gets better. The combination of vocals really works. Eric's playing is phenomenal. And every day a different song speaks to me. Today it's Not Afraid pt 1.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6093 on: September 28, 2021, 09:22:00 AM »
Eric's playing is phenomenal.

Agreed 10000% In fact, while I haven't heard the new DT album it'll be tough for JP to top what Eric has done on this album. I say that for two reasons. Eric is in his 'prime' right now, he's feeling it and just ripping out incredible stuff. And, while JP is JP and is utterly incredible.....I have a feeling I already know what I'm going to hear from him. 35+ years of creating music....there's not a lot left 'new' that JP is going to hit me with. It's all going to sound like something he's done before.

If you haven't seen Eric's youtube page I'd suggest you take a peek at it. He's posted some of his solo practicing for the album on it and it just reinforces what a beast he is.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6094 on: September 28, 2021, 09:35:46 AM »
That may all be true.  But serious question here:  Why does an artist have to do something "new" for his/her work to be "better" than another artist's? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #6095 on: September 28, 2021, 09:45:24 AM »
That may all be true.  But serious question here:  Why does an artist have to do something "new" for his/her work to be "better" than another artist's?

Maybe it's not necessary to do something new to be better.....and my better is different from your better, this is all subjective obviously. Using these two guys as an example like I did.....I just find Eric's recent output (SOAD, TGA, I&D) more compelling and interesting than JPs. Now, Terminal Velocity was JP's best stuff in years IMO just because it was solely focused on him but it was still in that JP style and sound that he's created over his career. It is what it is and he sounds fantastic! It's all incredible music. I'm just really digging listening to and watching Eric grow into an amazing guitarist.

Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6096 on: September 28, 2021, 10:00:49 AM »
I love Eric's stuff as well, but I mean, his style and sound are very derivative of Petrucci, down even to the guitar he plays.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6097 on: September 28, 2021, 10:29:52 AM »
I love Eric's stuff as well, but I mean, his style and sound are very derivative of Petrucci, down even to the guitar he plays.

Yeah, I was going to say the same exact thing. Eric is a great player, but there's no doubt he's eaten Petrucci solos for breakfast for years and years. When I listen to him, I don't go "wow, what a great, unique player he is!", I go "yeah, he sounds a lot like JP".

Also, listening to I&D, it became very evident that they just follow the "there's a epic ending here so Eric has to play a solo over it" formula and it's getting tired/stale. And some of those solos sound very similar to the stuff he's already done on Similitude and Great Adventure.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Kram

« Reply #6098 on: September 28, 2021, 10:38:50 AM »
Gonna be extremely hard for anything to top this in 2021. Every listen gets better. The combination of vocals really works. Eric's playing is phenomenal. And every day a different song speaks to me. Today it's Not Afraid pt 1.
I'm really digging Not Afraid pt 1 too - good stuff!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #6099 on: September 28, 2021, 10:48:03 AM »

Maybe it's not necessary to do something new to be better.....and my better is different from your better, this is all subjective obviously. Using these two guys as an example like I did.....I just find Eric's recent output (SOAD, TGA, I&D) more compelling and interesting than JPs. Now, Terminal Velocity was JP's best stuff in years IMO just because it was solely focused on him but it was still in that JP style and sound that he's created over his career. It is what it is and he sounds fantastic! It's all incredible music. I'm just really digging listening to and watching Eric grow into an amazing guitarist.
I wouldn't say anyone is "better" (they're both incredible guitarist) -  but as others have pointed out, there would be no Eric (stylistically speaking) if there was no JP before him.  He's obviously Eric's biggest influence.  And yes, on Terminal Velocity, JP is a total beast.  For my preference, both can totally shred, but I much prefer JP's sense of melody and his tone.  Don't get me wrong, I'm also a big fan of Eric (like his vocals too)!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6100 on: September 28, 2021, 12:46:50 PM »

Yeah, I was going to say the same exact thing. Eric is a great player, but there's no doubt he's eaten Petrucci solos for breakfast for years and years. When I listen to him, I don't go "wow, what a great, unique player he is!", I go "yeah, he sounds a lot like JP".

Also, listening to I&D, it became very evident that they just follow the "there's a epic ending here so Eric has to play a solo over it" formula and it's getting tired/stale. And some of those solos sound very similar to the stuff he's already done on Similitude and Great Adventure.

I&D is still my album of the year, so far, withstanding the crucial onslaught of the new Maiden.   The complaints of "stale" just don't resonate with me.  No, this isn't a cool jazz record, nor an EDM record, but there are enough moments, in genre, that arrange the pieces in a way that emotionally make this more than just a recycling.   

Eric is very good, but he's not replacing Blackmore, Rhoades, Schenker and Gilmour on my Mt. Rushmore.  He's a great team player, but I don't think he plays the same role in the NMB that Petrooch plays in DT.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2021, 01:25:59 PM by Stadler »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6101 on: September 28, 2021, 01:09:05 PM »
I think the album is fantastic.

Also, Eric is the nicest guy ever.  Super humble and gracious.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6102 on: September 28, 2021, 06:33:01 PM »
From MP FB page:

Neal Morse has been posting continuing coverage of all of the members of NMB rehearsing individually for the upcoming MorseFest…here’s a clip of me preparing for the shows (as I have for most of the past year): https://youtu.be/WxBhNJCXi7k
Get your MF21 live or virtual tickets here: https://www.nealmorse.com/product-category/morsefest/

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6103 on: September 29, 2021, 02:38:43 AM »
From MP FB page:

Neal Morse has been posting continuing coverage of all of the members of NMB rehearsing individually for the upcoming MorseFest…here’s a clip of me preparing for the shows (as I have for most of the past year): https://youtu.be/WxBhNJCXi7k

:rollin
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6104 on: September 29, 2021, 02:49:38 AM »

Also his second solo album "The Great Unknown" is just excellent!  He's a monster musician,  not only a incredible guitarist, but great on keyboards, drums, bass, and a awesome singer.  He's also savy as an engineer and producer.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6105 on: September 29, 2021, 06:24:27 AM »

Also his second solo album "The Great Unknown" is just excellent!  He's a monster musician,  not only a incredible guitarist, but great on keyboards, drums, bass, and a awesome singer.  He's also savy as an engineer and producer.

Thanks for the tip, Jaci!   :) :) :)

(I'm kidding; it's a joke.)

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #6106 on: September 29, 2021, 10:06:08 AM »

:rollin

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6107 on: September 29, 2021, 03:35:28 PM »

:lol :biggrin: :rollin

Offline 425

« Reply #6108 on: September 29, 2021, 04:03:37 PM »
Blabbermouth: Drama in NMB as Neal makes post on DreamTheaterForums.org laughing at Jaci's expense!
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6109 on: September 30, 2021, 07:12:53 AM »
lol

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6110 on: September 30, 2021, 11:50:46 AM »
Ok after listening to the album two times the whole way through, it is great except for one cringeworthy part..
"I  LOOOOOOOOOOOOVVVE YOU"        :facepalm:  :lol

Offline 425

« Reply #6111 on: September 30, 2021, 12:41:35 PM »
I think that chorus is great!
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Cocopjojo

• Astral Traveler
« Reply #6112 on: September 30, 2021, 05:56:55 PM »
Yeah, that chorus is one of my favorite parts! :D

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6113 on: October 01, 2021, 02:25:45 AM »
I love that chorus too. One of the best choruses Neal has written in the last years. And that's saying something!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #6114 on: October 01, 2021, 04:50:28 AM »
Bird On A Wire has probably my favorite chorus on the album,  and perhaps the highest energy of all the songs.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6115 on: October 01, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »
Tried listening to this album for the first time yesterday after my initial listen to Maiden.  Just couldn't get excited about it after Senjutsu.  I liked some of what I heard, but I need to give it time when I'm not in a metal mood. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6116 on: October 02, 2021, 01:27:03 PM »
I love both, but it's tough to switch back and forth, for sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6117 on: October 03, 2021, 07:05:49 AM »
Looks like the alternate track list for the new album was as listed below (confirmed by Mike Portnoy):

Disc 1:
1 Not Afraid Part 2
2 Bird on a Wire
3 Emergence
4 I'm Not Afraid Part 1
5 Another Story to Tell
6 The Way It Had to Be

Disc 2:
1 Do It Again
2 Your Place in the Sun
3 Bridge over Troubled Water
4 Beyond the Years

I will have to try that one and see how it works, as I am on record as thinking it would have worked a lot better to not put the epics back to back on the actual release, so this might work a lot better.

Offline Fritzinger

« Reply #6118 on: October 03, 2021, 10:22:11 AM »
Looks like the alternate track list for the new album was as listed below (confirmed by Mike Portnoy):

Disc 1:
1 Not Afraid Part 2
2 Bird on a Wire
3 Emergence
4 I'm Not Afraid Part 1
5 Another Story to Tell
6 The Way It Had to Be

Disc 2:
1 Do It Again
2 Your Place in the Sun
3 Bridge over Troubled Water
4 Beyond the Years

I will have to try that one and see how it works, as I am on record as thinking it would have worked a lot better to not put the epics back to back on the actual release, so this might work a lot better.

This looks good. I would have liked to see the two epic a little more apart on the record.

By the way, I think the band could have trimmed the fat off this album a little. They always said they didn't want to make another double album but didn't know what to cut out. In my opinion, here's what they should have left on the album:

Not Afraid 2
Emergence
Not Afraid 1
Bridge
Do It All Again
Bird On A Wire
Beyond The Years

(not necessarily in this order)

Makes 83 minutes. A little trimming here and there to make it 80 minutes (worst case cut out Emergence) and you have a KILLER 1 disc (or 2LP) Neal Morse album (NMB album, sorry Jacy!!). Songs like Your Place and Another Story could have easily landed on a bonus disc. They're not bad but I really don't need pop songs like these on one of Neal Morse's prog albums. And The Way It Had To Be just doesn't work for me. One of the band's weakest ballads. It's relying far too much on that Im7-IV7 chord progression from Dark Side Of The Moon and Bill's bridge around 4:30 just doesn't fit the setting in my opinion.

Wow I'm sounding like I don't like this album. I do though! I think it's a brilliant album and Not Afraid 2 is one of Neal's best epics ever (only has that one tiny flaw where the flow isn't continued around 8 minutes but broken up to make space for the Mystery Man part). I just think a producer looking over the band's shoulder suggesting things like the above would elevate this band even more!
any rock can be made to roll

Offline darkshade

« Reply #6119 on: October 03, 2021, 10:27:56 AM »
Definitely could have trimmed things down.
They could have put the songs cut out on a bonus disc, maybe record a couple extra cover tunes or include a couple of live tracks.
As is, it's still one of Neal's best albums.

Offline 425

« Reply #6120 on: October 03, 2021, 10:34:25 AM »
I really disagree with the idea that the tracklist needed to be changed or shortened. I think the album is excellent as-is, and the flow is really good. Even having the two epics back-to-back at the end, which I was hesitant about when the album was announced, works perfectly.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #6121 on: October 03, 2021, 11:30:42 AM »
I cannot get on board with any edit of the album that eliminates The Way It Had to Be, which might end up being my favorite song from it.   And I am not a fan of automatically calling any slower/mellow song a ballad, and I would not call that one a ballad.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #6122 on: October 03, 2021, 11:42:23 AM »
Just the cover is skipable in my eyes.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline 425

« Reply #6123 on: October 03, 2021, 11:51:55 AM »
I cannot get on board with any edit of the album that eliminates The Way It Had to Be, which might end up being my favorite song from it.   And I am not a fan of automatically calling any slower/mellow song a ballad, and I would not call that one a ballad.

Yeah, it's definitely not a ballad. And while it's not among my favorites on the album, I think it's good, and I can't really picture anything else coming after Another Story to Tell.
And if spirit's a sign,

Offline Kram

« Reply #6124 on: October 03, 2021, 01:05:21 PM »
I would have just cut out Emergence and Bridge Over Troubled Waters (it's a good cover, but certainly not necessary on a NMB album of original material) and maybe cut a little of the fat off of Beyond the Years.  Other than that, I'm loving all the tunes