Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553025 times)

Offline The Letter M

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #5775 on: August 29, 2021, 03:57:43 PM »
Still haven't received from Radiant! LAST TIME EVER! :censored >:(

I emailed them (Amy, I guess) last Thursday, asking if my order had shipped, but still no response.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline emtee

« Reply #5776 on: August 29, 2021, 04:03:55 PM »
Pre-ordered from Amazon and received on Friday.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #5777 on: August 29, 2021, 04:40:07 PM »
Disc 2......I listened I'm not crazy over Not Afraid Pt. 2.

LOVED beyond The years.

I have to say NMB has always been rocky for me.  but here they feel like a BAND and just Neal plus dudes which it sadly felt like most of the time.  this feels like it's own thing.

wonderful album.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:49:24 PM by bluefox4000 »

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Your sloth is in another castle
« Reply #5778 on: August 29, 2021, 04:49:21 PM »

I emailed them (Amy, I guess) last Thursday, asking if my order had shipped, but still no response.

-Marc.

She got back to me pretty quickly after I added "(PLEASE RESPOND)" to the subject line  :lol

DTwwbwMP, has your order shipped? If it hasn't, double check and make sure it's been paid for. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my order was in their system and marked as "processing", but somehow my card hadn't been charged. I had to pester Amy for a week so I could pay for the order.
Mine miraculously arrived on release day, but it would probably still be in limbo if I didn't contact them.

Offline Peter Mc

« Reply #5779 on: August 29, 2021, 04:57:43 PM »
I just made a quick playlist of the original album and it’s 81 min long.  Seems strange that they wouldn’t just shave a minute off to make a one disc album rather than scramble around for 20 min of extra material to make it a double.

What do you mean by the original album? The original album is the one that was released on Friday, with all 10 tracks on it.

Also the answer is, it's not strange. It's Neal Morse. More Never Is Enough and all that.

I love the album as long as it is. Don't take a single thing away from it.

Not saying they should take anything off it, just saying, you make an album and it’s one minute too long to fit on a cd and half the band have flown home, what do you do?  I’d hazard a guess that most people would find a way to shave a minute off the album rather than go back and start trying to come up with a bunch more music to justify it as a double album. 

It’s a strange decision, particularly when Neal Morse was the person who wanted to cut a load of music off the Transatlantic record to keep it as a single cd.  He only had to cut a minute off this and you could easily do that without affecting the album noticeably at all.  I personally don’t think the stuff they added adds much to proceedings but some people, including the band most importantly, feel different.  It’s a brilliant album regardless, probably the best of the NMB records.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5780 on: August 29, 2021, 05:06:26 PM »
To clarify, I believe the original album would have been 7 songs, but they decided to expand it, so they did the Bridge cover, Neal did the acoustic song which is sort of an intro to Not Afraid Part 1, and they dusted off The Way It Had to Be, which was written during The Great Adventure sessions, and finished it.

Personally, I think they could have added The Way It Had to Be and removed Do It All Again (which I like, but kinda feels like a Neal by the numbers song) from the original idea and you would have had an album right around 79:27.  And then rework the running order so the epics are not back to back.

1 Bird on a Wire
2 Your Place in the Sun
3 Not Afraid Part 1
4 Not Afraid Part 2
5 Another Story to Tell
6 The Way It Had to Be
7 Beyond the Years

Then again, it is still early, so I will not mess with the running order yet in my listenings, but I may try the above at some point.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5781 on: August 29, 2021, 05:25:33 PM »
I get why people dislike the sound of Bill's voice, but I think the man can sing. He uses a good range of notes, does some solid vocal runs here and there and he works really well with harmonies. I don't think it is comparable to Pete from Transatlantic (and probably a controversial opinion: I think Roine is the weakest vocal link on their latest album).

And talking about vocals, I think Neal pulls of some great parts. I agree he sounds a bit older/weaker (not even remotely close to sounding bad, mind you), but he pulls off some nice parts on this album.

Online Mladen

« Reply #5782 on: August 30, 2021, 03:08:44 AM »
To clarify, I believe the original album would have been 7 songs, but they decided to expand it, so they did the Bridge cover, Neal did the acoustic song which is sort of an intro to Not Afraid Part 1, and they dusted off The Way It Had to Be, which was written during The Great Adventure sessions, and finished it.

Interestingly enough, my first impressions are that the last three songs they added at the last minute are my least favorite tracks. Maybe the album could have been stronger with seven songs and only one disc.

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5783 on: August 30, 2021, 03:11:23 AM »
I saw in the documentary that they have been interested in doing a cover of Kansas' Song For America for years now, and instead they chose Bridge Over Troubled Water this time.

Song For America is probably my favourite Kansas song (or Top 3), so I'd be delighted if they did that cover one day.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5784 on: August 30, 2021, 09:05:57 AM »
A minor bugbear I have is with the Not Afraid songs. They are not related to each other in any way, musically (the most important aspect) or lyrically apart from the obvious. By all means they can have two songs called Not Afraid on the album, but take out the word "Part" from each song. "Part" implies that they're both parts of the same whole.

Not Afraid 1 and Not Afraid 2. Simples.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5785 on: August 30, 2021, 09:32:05 AM »
I've been listening to this almost exclusively for the last four, five days, and I'm just... It's really hit home with me.   The music is great, but it's really the lyrics.  There is your requisite spiritual material, but so much of this works also on a secular level.  I think this is music written by middle-aged men comtemplating that same idea, and being a middle-aged man, it's really striking a chord.   Another Story To Tell, The Way It Had To Be, Your Place In The Sun.... I'm sure it will wax and wane over time, like all records do, but right now, after between a half-dozen to a dozen listens, this is my favorite complete work by Neal Morse. 

And for the first time in a LONG time, I'm likely to see multiple shows when they come around.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5786 on: August 30, 2021, 10:21:46 AM »
I spent the morning listening to TSOAD and TGA back to back, and I've gotta say they're still really good albums. I don't think I love them as much as others have, but I'd say they're probably two of Neal's better double concept albums. At this point in listening to I&D, however, I think I like the new album more than the previous two, and maybe just a bit more than TGE, though I want to go back and re-listen to TGE again as a whole (bonus tracks included). I did listen to "Alive Again" the other night and that track still rocks, one of Neal's better epics, but the two new ones have some great stuff in them as well.

A minor bugbear I have is with the Not Afraid songs. They are not related to each other in any way, musically (the most important aspect) or lyrically apart from the obvious. By all means they can have two songs called Not Afraid on the album, but take out the word "Part" from each song. "Part" implies that they're both parts of the same whole.

Not Afraid 1 and Not Afraid 2. Simples.

But is it that simples? :lol I kind of like the idea that they're named "Parts 1 & 2" simply through a lyrical connection. It definitely defies and subverted my expectations of the two tracks being related musically, and I gotta admit that it was a cool idea.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5787 on: August 30, 2021, 11:42:15 AM »
Got my autographed set today, album is solid and too early to tell but might be my favorite of the NMB iteration so far.

Can't wait to dive into the full set of Flying Colors and the rest of Morsefest.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5788 on: August 30, 2021, 11:52:36 AM »
Got my autographed set today, album is solid and too early to tell but might be my favorite of the NMB iteration so far.

Can't wait to dive into the full set of Flying Colors and the rest of Morsefest.

Well, I'm glad some folks are getting their Radiant orders. Still response about my order from them... I had read the packaging for MF'19 was taller than usual, but it looks REALLY tall here.

-Marc.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #5789 on: August 30, 2021, 12:19:01 PM »
The album art kind of put me off a little when this album was first announced. I definitely had low expectations coming off TSoAD and TGA, plus Neal's Sola Gratia and TA's The Absolute Universe were good, but didn't quite get there for me compared to his previous work, and I thought I&D would be Neal-by-numbers.

It is not.
All the talk about how Neal's 'sound' is basically the same every album he's on, this album blows that argument right out the water. While the music is not a major stylistic shift, it does give us new things to listen to. New keyboard sounds and textures, Eric has some Petruccisms in his playing in the best possible way.  The album is brimming with creative ideas, and I also hear a lot more complex sections than I'm used to with a Neal Morse album. I could really see a very casual Neal fan loving this, like someone who only likes Spock's and early Transatlantic. Not because it sounds like that, but because it doesn't. The Neal Morse Band has its own identity compared to those other bands, and seeks to do something different.

Disc 1 is labelled the 'pop disc' or the 'lighter' disc, but it is plenty proggy and interesting throughout, and it doesn't sound like just pop music to me, 60s pop anyway, aside from a few things here and there. Besides, prog rock grew out of the 60s pop sound. Disc one is merely the first 8 tracks on this progressive rock album, because all 10 songs don't fit on one CD.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #5790 on: August 30, 2021, 12:34:58 PM »

I had read the packaging for MF'19 was taller than usual, but it looks REALLY tall here.

-Marc.

It really is, I think part of the reason is to make it economical to ship six discs in one package.

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #5791 on: August 30, 2021, 12:41:08 PM »
I agree that this album sounds surprisingly fresh overall. I think there is some merit to the argument that Neal Morse related bands can sound similar. But this album does not sound like a rehash at all to me, in particular the first disc. I have been listening to he latest Transatllantic and this one a lot the last couple of days and I don't think the albums are similar. And I think both sound reasonably different to Sola Gratia and the Jesus musical.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #5792 on: August 30, 2021, 12:52:04 PM »
Just received my Morsefest 2019 and Bonus edition Innocence and Danger CD/DVD combo. Looking forward to the Blue Ray performances.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #5793 on: August 30, 2021, 01:24:59 PM »
Of the major prog bands, I always thought Genesis had the best, fullest sound.  The rich sound of Tony's keyboards, the deepness of Mike's bass (and bass pedals) and the almost melodic timbre of Phil's drums...   I love it.   And there is a lot, stylistically, of that in this new record.   

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5794 on: August 30, 2021, 02:32:04 PM »

-Marc.

Just got an email from Amy with my tracking number. If I'm lucky, it'll get here by week's end.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5795 on: August 30, 2021, 05:27:40 PM »
I've been listening to this almost exclusively for the last four, five days, and I'm just... It's really hit home with me.   The music is great, but it's really the lyrics.  There is your requisite spiritual material, but so much of this works also on a secular level.  I think this is music written by middle-aged men comtemplating that same idea, and being a middle-aged man, it's really striking a chord.   Another Story To Tell, The Way It Had To Be, Your Place In The Sun.... I'm sure it will wax and wane over time, like all records do, but right now, after between a half-dozen to a dozen listens, this is my favorite complete work by Neal Morse. 

And for the first time in a LONG time, I'm likely to see multiple shows when they come around.

I have to admit that I have barely noticed any spiritual lyrics on this one, or maybe a lot of these are like Supernatural in that they can be taken to be about something spiritual or something or someone else.

It is still way too early for me to consider where I'd put this in the Neal Morse canon.  I just know that it is another winner.  :hat :hat

I agree that this album sounds surprisingly fresh overall. I think there is some merit to the argument that Neal Morse related bands can sound similar. But this album does not sound like a rehash at all to me, in particular the first disc. I have been listening to he latest Transatllantic and this one a lot the last couple of days and I don't think the albums are similar. And I think both sound reasonably different to Sola Gratia and the Jesus musical.

Yeah, it is striking how fresh this album sounds.  I do think Sola Gratia had a number of songs that were kinda new and fresh for Neal (mostly, the best songs), but they were easy to not think of that way since the album structure was very Neal-esque and then there were all of those Sola Scriptura callbacks. 

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5796 on: August 30, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »
I saw in the documentary that they have been interested in doing a cover of Kansas' Song For America for years now, and instead they chose Bridge Over Troubled Water this time.

Song For America is probably my favourite Kansas song (or Top 3), so I'd be delighted if they did that cover one day.

:tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5797 on: August 30, 2021, 09:06:31 PM »
Good new interview with Neal below. Some cool tidbits!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7Stt0kiTo0

Offline emtee

« Reply #5798 on: August 31, 2021, 02:21:02 PM »
Drifting through the years section is indescribably moving. Eric's solo is great.

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #5799 on: August 31, 2021, 03:28:24 PM »
Still NOTHING from Radiant! They suck the big one! >:( :censored

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5800 on: August 31, 2021, 05:04:28 PM »
Reposting this in case you missed it

DTwwbwMP, has your order shipped? If it hasn't, double check and make sure it's been paid for. I mentioned earlier in the thread that my order was in their system and marked as "processing", but somehow my card hadn't been charged. I had to pester Amy for a week so I could pay for the order.
Mine miraculously arrived on release day, but it would probably still be in limbo if I didn't contact them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5801 on: August 31, 2021, 06:14:21 PM »
Kinda funny that the Neal fan forum page is now not allowing any criticism of Radiant Records, and they have advised anyone with issues to take it up with them on their page.  Maybe flooding the Radiant page with criticism will change things (yeah right :lol).  Fortunately, I never order from them anymore, so I am out of criticisms to level at them.  :lol :lol

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #5802 on: August 31, 2021, 06:31:04 PM »
I'm tempted to email them and just tell them to cancel my order.  I'm sure they wouldn't, but at least they might ship it tomorrow.  At this point in no time I'll know the record by heart so I don't even need my physical copy anymore.  But getting that $35 back sounds nice lol.

Offline Metro

• DTF Resident Sloth
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5803 on: August 31, 2021, 07:22:36 PM »
Kinda funny that the Neal fan forum page is now not allowing any criticism of Radiant Records, and they have advised anyone with issues to take it up with them on their page.  Maybe flooding the Radiant page with criticism will change things (yeah right :lol).  Fortunately, I never order from them anymore, so I am out of criticisms to level at them.  :lol :lol

This criticism happens every time Radiant releases anything, you'd think by now Neal or Amy or somebody take a serious look at their business practices and change something.
I was lucky enough to get my issue solved in time and got the album on release day but I think I might be done with Radiant, other than Inner Circle stuff.

Offline Learning2Live

« Reply #5804 on: August 31, 2021, 09:03:27 PM »
Reposting this in case you missed it

I second this suggestion above. I had to do the same thing as I was in the same situation to where my credit card was never charged on the day I ordered. I got a hold of Amy and she sent through a PayPal request for me to send my payment, and my order was shipped and received.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #5805 on: September 01, 2021, 05:33:47 AM »
Meanwhile, despite them repeatedly saying on FB that they were shipping in the same order that purchases were received, I haven't received shipping info for my order, which was submitted in the first hour pre-orders were available. And I did double check my credit card statement that I was charged for it. This is why I normally only order stuff from Radint when it goes on clearance sale and I don't care when it comes in, but I really wanted the MF19 set and the bundle was a decent deal. At least I can listen to the new album on Amazon music while I wait.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #5806 on: September 01, 2021, 07:43:56 AM »
The third and final video of Mike talking about the songs on I&D is finally up on YouTube. You can check it out here.

And here are the first two parts on YouTube as well. Part One - Part Two

-Marc.

Offline bluefox4000

« Reply #5807 on: September 01, 2021, 09:23:58 AM »
The album gets better and fuckin' better each spin.

NMB has always been a bit patchy for me.  The grand Experiment is ok......Alive Again Saves it.  And i NEVER got the fuss over TGA.  sounded like such a rush job to my ears.

Also.......up to now.  NMB just sounded like Neal solo stuff with some new dudes.  Innocence and Danger is the first time i felt.  Hey this is it's own entity separate from the standard Neal machine.

I've been playing Another Story to tell in particular like crazy.  it sounds right off of Kindness of Strangers.

But the whole thing blows me away. only sour note is the Bridge cover.  stop with the ham fist-ed choir boy prog covers of classics guys. they never ever work, lol  but minor quibble
« Last Edit: September 01, 2021, 09:31:13 AM by bluefox4000 »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5808 on: September 01, 2021, 02:45:37 PM »
Well, to be fair, NMB probably sound like solo Neal with some new dudes because NMB is solo Neal with some new dudes. :lol :P

But while the DNA is largely the same, the others bring enough songwriting into NMB for it to sound not too similar to solo Neal (where Neal does all of the writing), and of course the lead electric guitar playing of Eric's is a lot different than Neal's.  Eric is more John Petrucci while Neal is more David Gilmour (stylistically, in both cases), and while Neal does some electric playing with NMB, he does almost all of the playing on his solo albums except for some solos here and there.  And as a sidenote, the improvement in Neal's electric guitar playing the last few years is really noticeable. 

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #5809 on: September 02, 2021, 05:13:19 AM »
I was curious as to how the album would be split on vinyl. 99 minutes can easily fit on a double LP, but it turns out they went triple. My presumed splits were:

Side A
Do It All Again
Bird on a Wire
Your Place in the Sun
Another Story to Tell

Side B
The Way it Had to Be
Emergence
Not Afraid Pt. 1
Bridge Over Troubled Water

Side C
Not Afraid Pt. 2
Beyond the Years Pt. 1 (the first two sections, up to the acoustic breakdown around 6:19)

Side D
Beyond the Years Pt. 2