Author Topic: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread  (Read 553015 times)

Offline DTA

Re: Official Neal Morse Appreciation Thread
« Reply #4270 on: May 05, 2020, 04:48:35 PM »
I have everything TNMB has released under "Neal Morse".

Same, it's just cleaner. I also do the same with all Devin Townsend variations.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4271 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:41 PM »
This is how my folder looks, granted I'm missing a few albums

"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4272 on: May 06, 2020, 06:45:52 AM »
In my opinion, they should have called it Covid to Covid

:lol a real missed opportunity

Offline ShadowWalker

« Reply #4273 on: May 06, 2020, 07:49:53 AM »
I tag it based on the artist name listed. So I would say there are currently seven widely-distributed releases under the artist name "The Neal Morse Band": TGE, TSOAD, TGA, their accompanying live releases, and Morsefest 2017. All the rest are "Neal Morse."

The only releases where it gets sort of dicey, in my book, are the three Morsefest releases (2014, 2015 and 2017). There, the lineup is the NMB lineup, performing (at least on 2015 and 2017) a mixture of music originally released under both artist headings. But there I still stick with what it says on the artwork (which also matches the current sorting on the Radiant Records website): 2014 and 2015 are "Neal Morse," and 2017 is "The Neal Morse Band."
This is how I do it as well.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4274 on: May 06, 2020, 11:16:16 AM »
I have everything TNMB has released under "Neal Morse".

Same, it's just cleaner. I also do the same with all Devin Townsend variations.

Honestly, I'm not sure why anyone would do it any other way.  It's not like The Neal Morse Band is meant to be a completely different entity from Neal Morse.  Artists slight vary nomenclature all the time, for whatever reason.  Your Devin Townsend comparison is perfect in that regard.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4275 on: May 06, 2020, 11:27:34 AM »
To me, The Neal Morse Band is specifically Morse, Portnoy, George, Gillette and Hubauer. Idk how much he changed his band lineup for albums credited to Neal Morse, but TNMB has become its own entity now.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4276 on: May 06, 2020, 11:43:24 AM »
Anniuncement coming next Friday
I am already like this:   :o

:facepalm:

Offline faizoff

« Reply #4277 on: May 06, 2020, 11:52:59 AM »
So this covers album announcement is not what MP was talking about?
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4278 on: May 06, 2020, 11:56:22 AM »

You're killing me, Smalls.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #4279 on: May 06, 2020, 01:49:24 PM »
Anyone else find it nearly impossible to resist the urge to Cabbage Patch while listening to The Great Adventure (song)?  It has resulted in plenty of awkward moments, and nearly several car crashes, but so worth it.  ...or so I've heard.  Um...just asking for a friend. 
:ontome:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4280 on: May 06, 2020, 03:33:26 PM »

PM could not be sent to 'Stadler' as their inbox is full!

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4281 on: May 06, 2020, 03:48:13 PM »

I'm assuming this is for either TA5 or the new Morse solo album. Both would be awesome though!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4282 on: May 06, 2020, 04:07:54 PM »

I'm assuming this is for either TA5 or the new Morse solo album. Both would be awesome though!

-Marc.

I will only say: no, that's not correct although the latest of your assessment will be discussed.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #4283 on: May 07, 2020, 09:31:36 AM »

PM could not be sent to 'Stadler' as their inbox is full!

Fixed.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4284 on: May 07, 2020, 04:35:02 PM »
Does this mean I need to re-buy the other two?

RE Filing: Neal and his projects get filed chronologically by release date on my shelves( Including the Inner Circle Releases)

Quickly running out of room so I may need to reevaluate.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4285 on: May 07, 2020, 04:44:52 PM »

RE Filing: Neal and his projects get filed chronologically by release date on my shelves( Including the Inner Circle Releases)

Only if you are a completist

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4286 on: May 08, 2020, 07:54:02 AM »
https://nealmorse.com/2020/05/08/morsefest-2020-announced/

Well... I'm not totally surprised, but I wonder if anyone will actually buy the in-person concert tickets knowing they may not be able to even hold the concert? And I doubt many will buy the virtual tickets, but I could be wrong.

I'll support him if/when these shows come out on BD and CD, which, I don't even think the Morsefest 2019 shows have been released yet.

-Marc.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2020, 08:01:10 AM by The Letter M »
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4287 on: May 08, 2020, 08:13:21 AM »
https://nealmorse.com/2020/05/08/morsefest-2020-announced/

Well... I'm not totally surprised, but I wonder if anyone will actually buy the in-person concert tickets knowing they may not be able to even hold the concert? And I doubt many will buy the virtual tickets, but I could be wrong.

I'll support him if/when these shows come out on BD and CD, which, I don't even think the Morsefest 2019 shows have been released yet.

-Marc.

So we dropped a few hints in the Inner Circle newsletter last month but … the time has come to announce our plans for:

Morsefest 2020!!
We have given a lot of thought to how we can continue the spirit of past Morsefests for as many people as possible, while expecting there still to be some social distancing restrictions in place at the time of the event. We have decided to run a full scale live MORSEFEST for a very small crowd (in line with the expected restrictions) along with an interactive virtual MF experience for those who can’t attend in person.

Morsefest 2020: Lockdown! will take place on September 18 and 19 at New Life Fellowship in Cross Plains, TN, and the featured music will be:

Friday Night – COVER TO COVER NIGHT! Debut of new C2C3 material as well as classics from our cover catalog. Mike, Randy, Eric and Bill will join Neal — plus real horns, string quartet and all the bells and whistles … literally!

Saturday Night – PREMIERE OF Neal’s NEW PROG CONCEPT ALBUM (title not announced yet) plus other great progressive rock from his catalog performed by the NMB and a cast of thousands … well, probably more like 25.

We will also have Morsefest staples such as the Inner Circle concert, games, Q&A, and special merchandise … all the cool stuff that makes MF such a unique experience!

Ticket Info:
Tickets for the LIVE VIP experience go on sale May 26 at 9:00 a.m. CST to Inner Circle Members only*
Tickets for the Virtual VIP and Virtual Double Night go on sale May 28* at 9:00 a.m. CST
Live VIP**: $1199.00
Only 70 tickets available (due to expected attendance restrictions)
Purchases limited to two tickets per Radiant account
Brand new format “Lockdown” style event – guests will spend the entire afternoon and evening in the venue, with full facilities and entertainment throughout the day
You get to be the audience for the live performances, which will be recorded in the late afternoon to avoid technical issues, and then streamed to the world that evening
During the evening broadcasts, you will get to watch the performance again on the big screen, with exclusive live commentary from the band members about what they were thinking while it was happening
VIP games (We’re thinking Charades where the band acts out and the audience has to guess) and Q&A on both days
Dinner each evening and snacks throughout the day
Opportunity to purchase an exclusive Morsefest release and other unique items
VIP Merch Bag including Custom Morsefest 2020 Yeti Cup (only 70 available), Morsefest VIP t-shirt, VIP lanyard, poster and other surprises
SPECIAL MF VIP FACEMASK!
Entry to Inner Circle Jam concert … where some musicians will get the chance to jam with the band
Saturday night after show karaoke with Neal and friends!
Virtual VIP: $225
Front row seats (on your couch!) to attend the virtual concert on Friday and Saturday nights
Live online VIP game and Q&A on both days
VIP Merch Bag including Morsefest VIP t-shirt, VIP lanyard, poster and other surprises (this will be shipped to you in advance of the event, in the hope that you will be able to wear your VIP shirt on the night!)
Opportunity to purchase an exclusive Morsefest release and other merch
Access to private Morsefest web portal, behind the scenes live video, special merch deals and other cool stuff!
Virtual Double night tickets: $99
Front row seats (on your couch!) to attend the virtual concert on Friday and Saturday nights
Opportunity to purchase an exclusive Morsefest release and other merch
Access to private Morsefest web portal, special merch deals and other cool stuff!
*The Live VIP tickets will be offered to our Inner Circle members first.

If they do not sell out, we will open them up to the general public. If you aren’t an Inner Circle member, it’s not too late!! Join now to have first dibs at purchasing tickets for this unique opportunity!!

**While we do not want to say who can and can’t buy tickets for the Live VIP event, we would strongly suggest that anyone considering buying a ticket, who needs to travel internationally to the event, would bear in mind that no one presently knows what travel or quarantine restrictions might be imposed in your country and/or the USA. We will only be able to issue refunds until August 21. Anyone buying a ticket to attend should consider this carefully

In the event social distancing restrictions do not allow a gathering of this size, a refund for the Live VIP will be issued.

What we can assure you is … whatever way you join us, you will have a Morsefest experience like NO OTHER!

PERSONAL NOTE FROM NEAL:

“I am super excited to be playing new material from C2C3 and especially my new album (that I think is as good as Sola Scriptura or the Question Mark album) with Mike, Randy, Eric and Bill, and all the wonderful musicians that will join us. It’s all about the music and the message for me. For this reason, I’m sure (however you can make it) you will be thrilled and blessed. I look forward to seeing you in person or online!”

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4288 on: May 08, 2020, 08:26:20 AM »
I ever thought that Morsefest was a great idea but that it had to be spaced out 2-3 years from each event.
That way you would still have iconic albums to play, at this point Neal has already played all of his albums as a solo artist or as NMB entity.
I don't know how a good idea to make MF2020 with a night of covers and a second night of unheard material is. And for the prices they are asking, I don't know but I don't see.
I still hope it is a great success, time will tell I guess.

Time for some, to use the stimulus check. LOL

Offline ronnibran

« Reply #4289 on: May 08, 2020, 08:34:41 AM »
Doh! Was hoping tickets for the virtual concert would be cheaper. Definitely not going to pay that to watch something on tv. No interest in covers but the second night would be cool (if you could pay half for just one night that would be a bit more tempting). Oh well! I get that it takes money to put it on. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #4290 on: May 08, 2020, 12:26:53 PM »
All this time I was hoping for Transatlantic, and now I'm so grateful that it's not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4291 on: May 08, 2020, 03:12:11 PM »
Oh well, maybe I will get to go again to Morsefest in 2021. :lol :lol

I suspect some are not pleased about the price, but the way I see it, if you don't like either of the prices, don't go and don't pay to watch it virtually.  I, myself, look forward to seeing it on Blu-ray someday. :biggrin:

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4292 on: May 08, 2020, 03:16:47 PM »
How much does Morsefest cost in a normal year?  I'm not a big fan so I've never paid attention, but now I'm curious based on the live stream prices.   Which seem on the high side for an in person festival, much less streaming.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4293 on: May 08, 2020, 03:22:15 PM »
How much does Morsefest cost in a normal year?  I'm not a big fan so I've never paid attention, but now I'm curious based on the live stream prices.   Which seem on the high side for an in person festival, much less streaming.

I'd have to look again, but I think it was $125 for both nights in 2017 and 2018 (for one person) without any of the VIP stuff, and then I think it went up to $140 or $150 last year.  In other words, anywhere from 60 and change to 75 bucks per concert.  I thought it was a great deal considering how awesome and intimate the shows are.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #4294 on: May 08, 2020, 03:29:59 PM »
That seems totally reasonable.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4295 on: May 08, 2020, 10:37:34 PM »
For sure.

Since neither has been performed at a Morsefest yet, I wonder if they will bust out Alive Again and/or World Without End on Night 2 this year.  Would make sense since I doubt either Momentum or The Grand Experiment will ever get the full album treatment at a Morsefest.

Offline DTA

« Reply #4296 on: May 09, 2020, 06:33:41 AM »
For sure.

Since neither has been performed at a Morsefest yet, I wonder if they will bust out Alive Again and/or World Without End on Night 2 this year.  Would make sense since I doubt either Momentum or The Grand Experiment will ever get the full album treatment at a Morsefest.

Didn't they do a rare epics night at a previous one? I wonder why this wasn't included...it's about as rare an epic as it gets in terms of his solo stuff (maybe aside from A Whole Nother Trip).

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4297 on: May 09, 2020, 07:56:29 AM »
For sure.

Didn't they do a rare epics night at a previous one? I wonder why this wasn't included...it's about as rare an epic as it gets in terms of his solo stuff (maybe aside from A Whole Nother Trip).

I can't remember which show was promoted as the rare epics night, but I think it was Night 1 of 2017, which saw all of Testimony 2 played (except for Absolute Beginner) as well as Lifeline and So Many Roads.   Since T2 was the promoted album for that show, I suspect that was in reference to Disc 1 only, and then Seeds of Gold and So Many Roads were the rare epics. 

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #4298 on: May 09, 2020, 08:11:16 AM »
$99 to just stream? I love Neal but it seems to me like lately it's about the money. Join the Inner Circle, sign up for my Waterfall app, etc. Devin Townsend is doing concerts for free on line. Jordan Rudess is on Facebook every day for free. I know Neal has to pay his bills, but it seems prices are getting steeper and these are not exactly the times when people have disposable income.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #4299 on: May 09, 2020, 08:28:19 AM »
$99 to just stream? I love Neal but it seems to me like lately it's about the money. Join the Inner Circle, sign up for my Waterfall app, etc. Devin Townsend is doing concerts for free on line. Jordan Rudess is on Facebook every day for free. I know Neal has to pay his bills, but it seems prices are getting steeper and these are not exactly the times when people have disposable income.

I will preface this by saying that Neal's finances are none of my or anyone else's business, and this is total speculation on my part, but I suspect he has been trying to make as much money as he can the last few years to help his kids.  He tweeted last week that his son just got his master's degree and his daughter just graduated from nursing school, and I totally see Neal being one of those parents who would do everything he can to pay for their schooling, that way they aren't saddled with student debt for years like the rest of us. :P

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4300 on: May 09, 2020, 12:36:51 PM »

Depends really.

Is it just a straight rerelease with the adjusted track listing or has it been remixed  and/or remastered?

If it sounds better, I'll get the box. If not I'll just get the new disc and call it a day.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #4301 on: May 09, 2020, 12:44:01 PM »

Depends really.

Is it just a straight rerelease with the adjusted track listing or has it been remixed  and/or remastered?

If it sounds better, I'll get the box. If not I'll just get the new disc and call it a day.

In addition, the Cover To Cover Anthology (Vol. 1 – 3) will be released on the same day, collecting all three installments together over three discs. The first two albums have also been newly re-sequenced and remastered, and will also be available on all digital services. All the albums have also been given brand new artwork, created by Thomas Ewerhard (Sons of Apollo, The Neal Morse Band, Avantasia).

I'll be picking up the anthology myself when it goes up for pre-order on May 22nd.

-Marc.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4302 on: May 09, 2020, 12:46:10 PM »

Always has been. Everyone gets to choose their level of involvement. Of course I suspect most of this goes to his tech people.

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #4303 on: May 09, 2020, 12:49:26 PM »

Depends really.

In addition, the Cover To Cover Anthology (Vol. 1 – 3) will be released on the same day, collecting all three installments together over three discs. The first two albums have also been newly re-sequenced and remastered, and will also be available on all digital services. All the albums have also been given brand new artwork, created by Thomas Ewerhard (Sons of Apollo, The Neal Morse Band, Avantasia).

I'll be picking up the anthology myself when it goes up for pre-order on May 22nd.

-Marc.

Guess I'll need to find out if I like the sound better and it's not just equalizing the levels on all three discs.

Offline RoeDent

• 2006 Time Magazine Person of the Year
« Reply #4304 on: May 12, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »
A thought:

When listening to albums of Neal's that involve another keyboardist (eg. Ryo in Spock's or Bill in TNMB), I have no idea how to distinguish a keyboard solo from Neal or the other guy. I'm trying to pick out Bill's keyboard style while listening to The Great Adventure.