Author Topic: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts  (Read 112803 times)

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2240 on: May 01, 2024, 07:34:49 PM »
Cool stuff. I get why people who are not into guitars and gear are put off by the constant marketing, but don't underestimate how many of his fans are super interested in his gear. I have less conviction on how many people are interested in beard oil and bourbon.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2241 on: May 01, 2024, 07:39:09 PM »
I get why people who are not into guitars and gear are put off by the constant marketing, but don't underestimate how many of his fans are super interested in his gear.

No, I totally get that. It's a me thing for sure.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2242 on: May 01, 2024, 07:55:18 PM »
Cool stuff. I get why people who are not into guitars and gear are put off by the constant marketing, but don't underestimate how many of his fans are super interested in his gear. I have less conviction on how many people are interested in beard oil and bourbon.

I think the problem is that pretty much every time he engages with the fans online, it's to push some product. Even these studio updates end up being promotion for a couple different things.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Re: DT16 Timeline Thread - John finished recording guitar parts
« Reply #2243 on: May 01, 2024, 08:35:28 PM »

I've been playing guitar for 20+ years, I like his gear but I'm honestly kinda over the gear talk at this point I'm more interested in the bourbon :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2244 on: May 01, 2024, 08:53:29 PM »
I've been playing guitar for 20+ years, I like his gear but I'm honestly kinda over the gear talk at this point I'm more interested in the bourbon :lol
It's hard to insert the bourbon pitch when it comes to recording music  :lol
" All guitar parts have been recorded. We had dozens of takes because I got carried away with my Rock the Barrel bourbon, from Iron Smoke Distillery"
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2245 on: May 01, 2024, 11:43:30 PM »
:lol
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2246 on: May 02, 2024, 12:46:05 AM »
It's hard to insert the bourbon pitch when it comes to recording music  :lol
" All guitar parts have been recorded. We had dozens of takes because I got carried away with my Rock the Barrel bourbon, from Iron Smoke Distillery"

"I've finished my parts, now time for a celebratory drink!"

Offline Architeuthis

And ToneMission software. Don't forget the IR!

The JP marketing mode is getting a bit too much for me to be honest.
I really don't understand why this bothers anyone..  :chill
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2248 on: May 02, 2024, 06:37:58 AM »
"I've finished my parts, now time for a celebratory drink!"
This is the way!  :biggrin:

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #2249 on: May 02, 2024, 08:02:07 AM »
" All guitar parts have been recorded. We had dozens of takes because I got carried away with my Rock the Barrel bourbon*, from Iron Smoke Distillery"

*This product is not endorsed by Mike Portnoy.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2250 on: May 02, 2024, 08:54:09 AM »
*This product is not endorsed by Mike Portnoy.
lol

There's only so much he can pimp the bourbon, since it's only made in limited batches, and costs as much as a guitar lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2251 on: May 02, 2024, 10:00:42 AM »
lol

There's only so much he can pimp the bourbon, since it's only made in limited batches, and costs as much as a guitar lol

Also, he does not drink.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2252 on: May 02, 2024, 10:13:49 AM »

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2253 on: May 02, 2024, 10:41:12 AM »
Also, he does not drink.

What are you talking about? Of course JP drinks.

Offline TheHoveringSojourn808

• fun committee president, sloth gang initiate, and annie clark lover
  • JLB + MP friendship stan
« Reply #2254 on: May 02, 2024, 10:50:24 AM »
I thought he settled this question in this AMA (linked)

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/438pam/ama_hey_i_am_john_petrucci_from_dream_theater_ask/

EDIT: he also claims he has done wine tastings before in this interview https://www.classicrockrevisited.com/show_interview.php?id=1241
harusame ni nuretsutsu yane no temari kana
RIP the Great Ape, 2024.02.01
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2255 on: May 02, 2024, 12:03:35 PM »
Yeah, but I accidentally quoted a post about Portnoy.  Who doesn't drink.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kocak

« Reply #2256 on: May 02, 2024, 12:28:44 PM »

Portnoy doesn't, JP does. Hence, Portnoy would not promote the JP bourbon.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2257 on: May 02, 2024, 12:39:57 PM »
I think the problem is that pretty much every time he engages with the fans online, it's to push some product. Even these studio updates end up being promotion for a couple different things.

This.

« Reply #2258 on: May 02, 2024, 12:43:08 PM »
I guess I don't really understand that argument because, literally every social media post is a promotion of something. An update with tangible information about the new album would have simply just been new album promotion. This was guitar amp promotion. If you don't want to be promoted to, social media is probably not the place for you (hence why I do not exist on social media)
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2259 on: May 02, 2024, 01:00:07 PM »
They are mixing promotions though.  In the same video about the new album, they are promoting gear. If they just promoted one or the other in their posts, it wouldn't rub people the wrong way.  It feels like to get the album update you must watch an ad. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2260 on: May 02, 2024, 01:09:59 PM »
It feels like to get the album update you must watch an ad.

Exactly.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline JMSE

« Reply #2261 on: May 02, 2024, 01:16:35 PM »
Make no mistake - every single piece of content is meant to sell you something. Directly or indirectly.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2262 on: May 02, 2024, 01:36:48 PM »
Back to the album talk, I hope they push the boundaries on this one. Something faster than they’ve ever done, something heavier, something funkier, something jazzier, whatever. Something more beautiful.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #2263 on: May 02, 2024, 02:14:36 PM »
When was the last time there was a behind the scenes feature as a bonus on a dvd or something not geared toward PR or modern social media? The systematic chaos doc? I think we’re just expecting something from a bygone era at this point.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

« Reply #2264 on: May 02, 2024, 02:15:39 PM »
When was the last time there was a behind the scenes feature as a bonus on a dvd or something not geared toward PR or modern social media? The systematic chaos doc? I think we’re just expecting something from a bygone era at this point.
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline Max Kuehnau

• Emotionless Brainiac
  • Doomed to be a man this world forgot
« Reply #2265 on: May 02, 2024, 03:03:20 PM »
The most recent behind the scenes bit (or documentary if you want to call it that) was actually for View. It appeared on the Bluray on the box set. So it's not really a bygone era. (unless you were done with MM era DT quickly)
"All my natural instincts are begging me to stop
But somehow I carry on, heading for the top
A physical absurdity, a tremendous mental game
Helping me understand exactly who I am"

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #2266 on: May 02, 2024, 05:33:03 PM »
Back to the album talk, I hope they push the boundaries on this one. Something faster than they’ve ever done, something heavier, something funkier, something jazzier, whatever. Something more beautiful.

I will be the first to eat my words if I am wrong, but I don't think this reunion is about pushing boundaries in any way. I think it's about nostalgia and would expect the music to reflect that.

Realistically we aren't getting a heavier album than ToT or even View and moreover the speed factor was just swapped out of the band. Doesn't mean it won't be great, but I am not expecting anything groundbreaking for them.

Just want to add that the freshness of the album is really going to depend on what JP has been doing over the last few months. Has he been tooling around with his 8 string? What kinds of things has he been practicing? He was last on tour with Animals as Leaders. Does any of that influence make its way into his playing? That's really the main driver of where these songs are going. If he's been playing and practicing the same stuff, that's how he is going to sound and we're not going to get anything outside of the DT paradigm. At the end of the day it is guitar that drives the band.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 05:38:59 PM by TheBarstoolWarrior »

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #2267 on: May 02, 2024, 05:47:55 PM »
They are mixing promotions though.  In the same video about the new album, they are promoting gear. If they just promoted one or the other in their posts, it wouldn't rub people the wrong way.  It feels like to get the album update you must watch an ad.

I see it as him just informing what gear he is using for this album. And he is basically giving information about the gear.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #2268 on: May 02, 2024, 06:27:20 PM »
I guess I don't really understand that argument because, literally every social media post is a promotion of something. An update with tangible information about the new album would have simply just been new album promotion. This was guitar amp promotion. If you don't want to be promoted to, social media is probably not the place for you (hence why I do not exist on social media)

I'm not really into gear (or even guitar that much these days) but I don't mind the product placement. Then again I rarely watch these album-update videos.

I usually skip over the gear talk during podcast interviews.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline HOF

« Reply #2269 on: May 02, 2024, 09:45:46 PM »
I think the way I’d look at the gear promotion stuff is that if some company wants to pay the members of my favorite band to make gear videos so they can make a living making the music I love, than that’s ok with me. Nick D’Virgilio does a lot of gear videos (both for Sweetwater but also personally), and while I’m no drummer I do enjoy getting to see him talk about his craft even if he’s just demoing gear. And it helps keep him in business.

« Reply #2270 on: May 03, 2024, 06:43:06 AM »
Yeah, if anything, the gear talk increasing just proves that these days a musician can't make their living solely on making music. They all need side gigs. If anything, blame capitalism
Welcome to the Forums!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2271 on: May 03, 2024, 06:44:26 AM »
This almost made me ruin my laptop screen:

:rollin

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #2272 on: May 03, 2024, 06:52:47 AM »
Yeah, if anything, the gear talk increasing just proves that these days a musician can't make their living solely on making music. They all need side gigs. If anything, blame capitalism

That's how things work nowadays. I'm very happy that DT still has so much artistic motivation to make new music, as many bands don't have that, as they no longer profit from it.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #2273 on: May 03, 2024, 08:04:19 AM »
I'm not strongly against them using album marketing to also do product marketing, but I guess if I could wave a magic wand, I'd prefer to keep them separate. That said, I also understand the reality of the music business these days, and don't begrudge anyone for doing what they need to do to pay the bills.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2274 on: May 03, 2024, 08:42:02 AM »
Practical understanding of why the product placement is there doesn't exclude it also being annoying.

I hope there's more behind the scenes stuff. The SC documentary is amazing, I watched that so many frickin times when I was younger. Something like that, just fun, loosely structured glimpses of the guys hanging out and working on the tracks, would be great. And it's not necessarily a bygone thing. TesseracT just did a documentary like that of their latest album, this year. And Periphery has done it for their last four albums.

Didn't actually know View had anything similar. I'll have to look that up.