Author Topic: What album are you listening to? v.7  (Read 179071 times)

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
Re: What album are you listening to? v.7
« Reply #6020 on: December 01, 2022, 01:01:35 PM »
Cool.  Lonestar revealed in his top 50 thread that he just got into them in the last months.  I discovered them last year, but felt late to the party then, it seems the prog crowd is taking longer to find them than certain other segments of the online music community. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6021 on: December 01, 2022, 01:09:57 PM »
Cool.  Lonestar revealed in his top 50 thread that he just got into them in the last months.  I discovered them last year, but felt late to the party then, it seems the prog crowd is taking longer to find them than certain other segments of the online music community.

Probably because they fall more into the metalcore crowd and those are bands they've been touring with.  I believe I told Lonestar about them in the concerts thread (which is where I've mostly talked about them). Although I agree, I think the prog crowd might enjoy them too for all that djentyness.  But also, you aren't late.  They are a booming new band, sounds like you discovered them early. I would have discovered them earlier myself if their show opening for Limp Bizkit didn't get cancelled last minute in the summer of 2021.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6022 on: December 01, 2022, 01:28:13 PM »

Probably because they fall more into the metalcore crowd and those are bands they've been touring with.  I believe I told Lonestar about them in the concerts thread (which is where I've mostly talked about them). Although I agree, I think the prog crowd might enjoy them too for all that djentyness.  But also, you aren't late.  They are a booming new band, sounds like you discovered them early. I would have discovered them earlier myself if their show opening for Limp Bizkit didn't get cancelled last minute in the summer of 2021.

Yeah, lonestar and I discussed it in his thread, but I could see fans of TesseracT and similar bands digging them, the -core, djent/prog, and atmospheric and melodic elements are balanced so well.  Their debut EP even has a 3-part proggy epic.  Their newer material is less proggy, but still great.  I just would keep seeing Youtube comments from 2019 with things like "I am sooo late to these guys", thinking good grief, how are all these people into all these bands that don't even have full-lengths yet. 
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 01:34:24 PM by LithoJazzoSphere »

Offline SwedishGoose

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6023 on: December 01, 2022, 01:41:33 PM »

She's rightfully lauded for her work in The Gathering, Devin Townsend, Ayreon and such, but her solo work is fabulous and way too overlooked.

Totally agreed....

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6024 on: December 01, 2022, 01:44:17 PM »
Ashley McBryde - Ashley McBryde Presents: Lindeville
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6025 on: December 01, 2022, 02:00:22 PM »

Yeah, lonestar and I discussed it in his thread, but I could see fans of TesseracT and similar bands digging them, the -core, djent/prog, and atmospheric and melodic elements are balanced so well.  Their debut EP even has a 3-part proggy epic.  Their newer material is less proggy, but still great.  I just would keep seeing Youtube comments from 2019 with things like "I am sooo late to these guys", thinking good grief, how are all these people into all these bands that don't even have full-lengths yet.

My understanding is the singer was in another band previously and fans of that band followed Spiritbox from the beginning. But yeah, they only just released their first album a year ago! It's still early for this band.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6026 on: December 01, 2022, 02:18:38 PM »
Samara Joy - Linger Awhile
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6027 on: December 01, 2022, 04:03:55 PM »

My understanding is the singer was in another band previously and fans of that band followed Spiritbox from the beginning. But yeah, they only just released their first album a year ago! It's still early for this band.

Yeah, Courtney and Mike were in the previous version of iwrestledabearonce, and I suppose the people earliest onboard followed from there.  I never liked the first incarnation of that band before them and didn't pay attention to them joining if I even heard the news, so I didn't even know who they were. 

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6028 on: December 01, 2022, 06:11:11 PM »
Overkill - all of their albums.

:metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

FUCK YES!!!. :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6029 on: December 01, 2022, 06:41:22 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6030 on: December 01, 2022, 08:32:11 PM »
This is completely unique in a matter that there is nothing original about them, if that makes sense. Just an odd blend of rock and metal genres. I think Tim would like it but I'm not 100% sure. Its really growing on me.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6031 on: December 01, 2022, 08:43:01 PM »
This is completely unique in a matter that there is nothing original about them, if that makes sense. Just an odd blend of rock and metal genres. I think Tim would like it but I'm not 100% sure. Its really growing on me.

I've seen this mentioned. I haven't checked it yet, but I will. I'll try and get to it tomorrow.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline twosuitsluke

• Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
« Reply #6032 on: December 02, 2022, 06:10:32 AM »

NOFX - Double Album just dropped today. I think that it is better than Single Album after the first listen, although a fair few of the songs were already released as part of 2019s 7 Inch of the Month Club.

I think the problem with Single Album was that it was half way between a NOFX record and Fat Mike's solo Cokie the Clown output. Fat Mike had been through some dark times in the last 10 years or so and it's really come through in his writing. As much as I'm sure it's really cathartic for him, I can sometimes be a hard listen and I long for the days of a more care free NOFX record.

It's also really short at like 27 minutes. I'll spin it a few more times today. Ariich, Glasser, you guys checked it out yet?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6033 on: December 02, 2022, 09:43:21 AM »
Kurt Rosenwinkel - Berlin Baritone

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6034 on: December 02, 2022, 10:21:17 AM »
Wayne Shorter, Terri Lyne Carrington, Leo Genovese, and Esperanza Spalding - Live at the Detroit Jazz Festival

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6035 on: December 02, 2022, 11:36:20 AM »

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6036 on: December 02, 2022, 11:37:40 AM »
Brian Eno - Apollo, started off really strong but fizzled towards the end.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #6037 on: December 02, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
Terri Lyne Carrington, Kris Davis, Linda May Han Oh, Nicholas Payton & Matthew Stevens - New Standards Volume1

Offline Bluefish

« Reply #6038 on: December 02, 2022, 05:23:00 PM »

Offline pfillion

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6040 on: December 02, 2022, 06:36:30 PM »

I played this at work at my station this morning and I'm playing it again now. I like it. Some of the tracks remind me of Clockwork Angels Era Rush.

I was surprised to see that I have their previous album Opulent Decay, Saved in my Spotify library. I must've saved it while sampling, but somehow forgot and never went back to it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6041 on: December 02, 2022, 08:26:04 PM »

I played this at work at my station this morning and I'm playing it again now. I like it. Some of the tracks remind me of Clockwork Angels Era Rush.

I was surprised to see that I have their previous album Opulent Decay, Saved in my Spotify library. I must've saved it while sampling, but somehow forgot and never went back to it.

I stumbled on this and something just keeps me going back to it. I really dig it.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6042 on: December 02, 2022, 08:55:20 PM »
It's definitely digable.

Online HOF

« Reply #6043 on: December 02, 2022, 10:30:48 PM »
Fernando Perdomo - The Golden Hour

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6044 on: December 03, 2022, 04:45:28 PM »

Offline Glasser

« Reply #6045 on: December 03, 2022, 11:10:46 PM »
Full on old school tonight!  :metal

Offline majo

« Reply #6046 on: December 04, 2022, 02:46:48 PM »
Soen - Atlantis, brilliant, beautiful record/revision with tasty piano and strings (violin, cello, viola, bass and double bass) arrangements  :tup  :hefdaddy
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 03:23:45 PM by majo »
Life's too short to remove USB safely.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6047 on: December 04, 2022, 04:08:14 PM »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6048 on: December 04, 2022, 04:12:00 PM »
That looks interesting. What kind of music?

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6049 on: December 04, 2022, 04:20:25 PM »
That looks interesting. What kind of music?

Prog metal but it’s not very interesting. Most of the songs are pretty much ballads with some heavy djenty riffs here and there and the choruses aren’t very memorable.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:33:12 PM by NoseofNicko »

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #6050 on: December 04, 2022, 05:38:45 PM »
I don't think I get why people post albums they aren't into. 

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6051 on: December 04, 2022, 05:44:18 PM »

I get that, but I mean, someone else might check it out based on the artwork and really like it.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline NoseofNicko

« Reply #6052 on: December 04, 2022, 05:46:21 PM »

I blind-bought the album and posted it as soon as I hit play as I usually do. It disappointed me but I still liked it a little bit but I really don’t think TAC would like it.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6053 on: December 04, 2022, 05:51:38 PM »

I blind-bought the album and posted it as soon as I hit play as I usually do. It disappointed me but I still liked it a little bit but I really don’t think TAC would like it.

I wouldn't imagining blind buying something anymore these days.  No way.

Also, has this become the TAC album recommendation thread?  :lol
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6054 on: December 04, 2022, 05:57:12 PM »

Well the title of the thread is What Album Are You Listening Too?, not What Album Are You Into?.  :P